User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 02:44 PM   #391
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
I have the Motive Pressure Bleeder. It truly makes brake bleeding easy.

I bought mine from Summit. It looks similar to your setup.
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #392
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
I have the Motive Pressure Bleeder. It truly makes brake bleeding easy.

I bought mine from Summit. It looks similar to your setup.
Took me a trip to Motive to get a "top" that worked. But it does work and it's a great time saver. Count me as a happy customer.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #393
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
slick way to bleed the brakes!

I used a similar setup on my 67 Ghia that had a full brake restoration. It is nearly impossible to do the whole system from dry without one!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:45 PM   #394
Hodakaguy OP
NorthWest Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 2,017
Drained the oil from the trans axle and front diff, the oil looked really good that came out of both. There was a little fuzz on the magnetic drain plugs but nothing more than normal and no chunks of metal on either...good news. Refilled both ends with Swepco 201.

Installed the propane tank and hooked it up. Had to shorten the copper lines and re-flair the ends. Ok...check that off the list.

Hooked up a couple vacume hoses to the diff actuator and installed the clamps on the E-brake lines and plastic clutch line.

Scored a rubber front floor mat from a 80 Vanagon that was being parted out today. This is the way to go, easy to clean mud/dirt out and no ruined carpets

Fresh out of the parts van where it's sat for years.

45 minutes of scrubbing later it's looking good again.

And installed.

Hodakaguy
And Then There Were Four - OR RR: CLICK HERE
My VW Syncro Westy Build Thread: CLICK HERE
Hodakaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #395
ian408
Oh?

That looks pretty darn good on the inside too!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #396
Hodakaguy OP

Filled the engine with oil today. The dip stick on the shortened RMW oil pan is designed to enter the pan vertically. ...the only way I could fit mine for clearance was with the dipstick entering the pan on a angle, which throws the calibration marks off. I placed a call to RMW and they said the pan is full at 4.75 quarts, so I filled the pan with 4.75 quarts and remarked the dipstick.

New full mark added.

Time to set the alignment. I will be following Christopher's excellent instructions on alignment....time to get rolling.

First up is to level the van, although garage floors look level most are way out! Using a piece of 25' tubing and some colored water it's easy to level all four corners. I'm leveling with 12"x12" flooring tiles. You need at least two tiles on each front wheel to be used at turn plates (I used motor oil between the top two tiles on each front so the tire can turn freely) and stack tiles as needed in the rear.

I rolled the van back a bit so I can check level where the van will be sitting. Once you figure out what you need I rolled the van back into position and jacked the suspension up with a floor jack one corner at a time to insert the needed amount of tiles. With the small container of water in a stationary position check the height on the first wheel on top of two pieces of tile. I came up with 13.75".

Now go to the back and check the next spot....The water column was higher so I had to add tiles until the level read the 13.75" again. Repeat on all 4 corners until they are all at 13.75" (or your start reading).

Notice how many tiles are stacked on the passenger side rear, opposite the two tiles on the drivers front.....Yep, the garage is that far out of level!

Since the front end has been completely taken apart and the tie rod ends are still unhooked we need to find out exactly where straight ahead is for the front wheels. Once the string line is squared perfectly we can find strait ahead.

Strait and 20 deg lines marked out.

With the alignment tool set up on the front wheel the measurements/adjustments can begin.

Getting late tonight....I'll continue in the am.

Hodakaguy
Old 04-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #397
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,829
I'd think the floors would be canted slightly in order to assist drainage.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #398
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,336
(lifetime alignment at firestone is only $150)
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #399
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
I'd think the floors would be canted slightly in order to assist drainage.
Yep, and mine is angled to the side as well.

Hodakaguy
Old 04-04-2013, 02:33 AM   #400
Hodakaguy OP

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
(lifetime alignment at firestone is only $150)
Yeah but there is a couple problems with that, because of the custom upper control arms they don't want to mess with it (although once the heim joints are set and you can adjust with the factory adjuster they might do it. Also I would need it set close to drive it down there.

I'll get it set very close and run it for a thousand miles or so to let the suspension settle in, then get it aligned on the rack :-)

Hodakaguy
Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #401
TEXASYETI
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,888
Been tracking this since you started and am really enjoying the process. Final product looks really nice and I cannot wait to see it on the road. This is going to be a fun ride!

Any trips in mind? Prudhoe? Baja?

1981 R80G/S
1991 R100 GSPD

FIRST TIME RIFF RAFF - Go Jonah!
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #402
Superhawk
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Awesome work - super clean and professional - I hate repair shops, they wont touch anything non stock lately - most places around here wont even mount up tires that are bigger/smaller than the OEM spec..... very annoying
Superhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #403
Hodakaguy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASYETI View Post
Been tracking this since you started and am really enjoying the process. Final product looks really nice and I cannot wait to see it on the road. This is going to be a fun ride!

Any trips in mind? Prudhoe? Baja?
Going to do a couple trips with it this summer. Redwoods, Yellowstone and NV are on the list already.

Hodakaguy
Old 04-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #404
Hodakaguy OP

Had to end up pulling the upper control arms and turning in the heim joints to get enough negative camber. Alignment is now rough set (fairly close) and it can be driven until I can get it on a rack and get it dialed in once the suspension beds in.

Time to hook up the power steering. I was going to use the OEM reservoir since it already has the mount in the engine bay and the 06 Subaru res would need a custom mount......BUT i think i let the reservoir go with the original engine when I sold it..Dohhh! A quick trip to a junk yard yielded an original VW unit :-), about an hour later it's all cleaned up and ready to install. The VW unit has a nice large filter in the bottom of the unit...nice! Installed the res with the new RMW hoses.

SS Coolant lines, heater hoses and coolant tank installed.

Time to add coolant. I hooked up the AirLift to pull a vacuum on the system and check for leaks. You hook an air compressor to a venturi that pulls the air out of the cooling system. Once you have a vacuum on the system all your cooling lines will collapse and you shut in the system. You then look at the vacuum gauge and make sure it holds steady, if the gauge starts dropping you have a leak. Well the gauge started dropping at a fairly quick rate as soon as I blocked in the venturi, luckily it turned out to be a single hose clamp that had escaped being tightened, once it was tightened another vacuum was pulled and it stayed rock solid :-). It's a nice way to check for leaks without spilling coolant all over the place.

Venturi attached and pulling a vacuum on the system.

Once the vacuum is pulled you can hook up the fill line and place it in the coolant. Now just open the valve and the vacuum in the system will pull the coolant right in. In a normal vehicle this is the ONLY way to fill a cooling system, no air in the system and no elaborate bleeding procedures. But...on the vanagon the radiator is higher than the surge tank so it won't fill 100% with it on all 4 wheels. You can raise the rear of the van so the surge tank is higher than the radiator then it should work...or you can use the bong method. I'll finish bleeding the system once it's outside where I won't make a huge mess :-).

Hooking up the alternator harness.

Mike came over and we knocked out a lot of the wiring tonight. Starting to look a lot cleaner in the engine bay! Still have some cleaning up to do on the wiring.

Completed several other small tasks, new Bosch fuel pump installed, engine carrier bolted up and torqued, Shift linkage hooked back up, etc.

Started wiring in a couple HID lights on the brush guard tonight, these will come in handy in the wide open spaces of NV.

More to come soon.

Hodakaguy
Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #405
ian408
Oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodakaguy View Post
Going to do a couple trips with it this summer. Redwoods, Yellowstone and NV are on the list already.

Hodakaguy
Perfect VW venues

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: