Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
how about the moto guzzi norge? It's a little heavier than your aim, but it makes up with that massive torque!!! and it is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L
I was looking hard at Norge at one point. Never got around to trying out one. I agree MG's make beautiful machines. I ought to know; I have a MG V11 Lemans, one of my favorite of all times, but one Goose is enough for me.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Hello, this is my first post here. I have an F800ST. Someone who wants a touring-capable bike but wants to keep it light should consider this bike. At 460 lbs wet, it's more "sport" 'than "tourer," and actually it's not that much sport for the money, but it's a very sensible, efficient bike that can handle a wide range of riding. As a tourer, it's very stable and comfortable for being so light and flickable. You're still dealing with a fair bit of wind, but personally I'm fine with that.

The fun part is on the twisties. I've ridden a few different bikes down route 1 in California, and the F800ST really hits the sweet spot for that kind of road.

The main thing I dislike about it is the sound of the engine. It's horrible, and from what I can tell, it gets worse over time as these engines always seem to develop a rattle.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #18
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Light ST

I was looking for exactly the same last year. In an age when any number of 600cc bikes are boasting 120 HP, displacement is almost meaningless. The folks at BMW who designed the 800 ST must have been reading my mind. It has everything I want in a motorcycle, power, agility, middle of the road ergonomics, good luggage capacity ( that's easily removed, leaving little evidence of brackets) , reputation for reliability, moderate weather protection, ABS, it's all there in a very attractive, mid-sized package. Unfortunately, one eventually gets to the deal breaker. It's generally a paper tag hanging off the handle bar. It has a number on it which has one too many digits before the decimal point. The price here in Ct would have approached $14,000 (give or take, the dealer was unimpressed by my 11 year old Connie trade-in ) by the time I could roll off the lot. Try as I might (& I tried a lot) I just could'nt spend that much. I could fly to Milan, rent a Honda Hornet & ride the Alps for 10 days for three years in a row for that kind of change. I found a left-over 2009 Suzuki GSX 650 F, factory warranty, same HP, same weather protection, only slightly heavier, good ergos, out the door, with trade-in, tax, registration, the works, for $4880. I added heated grips & a luggage rack & centerstand & I'm still under $5300.00. Is the 800ST better? I'm sure it is. Is it 250% better? I'm sure it isn't. I'd say look around for a GSX 650 F (that's the F remember, the sheep in wolf's clothing, NOT the 600 R) They are still out there & the prices on them are very negotiable.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #19
sfrider300
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Well, there is that same dilemma whenever you're thinking about a european bike -- you can compare it to something japanese that at least appears to (and might in fact) give more bang for the buck. The GSX 650F is about 70 lbs heavier and several horses shy of the F800ST, but to any given rider, that may not matter. I think it's a little on the heavy side for that engine. But regardless, it sure looks like a great value.
sfrider300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #20
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Ninja 1000

Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #21
Butters
. . . . . .

Oddometer: 2,460
I posed a similar question a few months back. The two bikes that really seemed to stand out to me were the VFR800 and the F800ST. The Sprint and the Futura also comes to mind. I have never heard anything short of high praise for the Futura, but I don't see them too often.

Late model VFRs can be found all day long for under $5K. The F800ST depreciates like a rock, so they can also be had on the used market for a fraction of their retail price (I saw a couple good ones in the 6-7K range). Several Adventure type bikes were also suggested (Tiger 1050).

But I think Grainbelt and Jim K bring up very valid points about the Ninja and GSX-F. There are several bikes out there that look like crotch rockets, but they have very comfortable ergonomics. The first thing I notice now is a rider's position on a bike. It seems there are a lot more bikes with comfy ergos than I would have thought.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
I get all lathered up about engines.

I like the VFR 800 and the GSX 650F for this niche. Heavy enough to feel planted, but small enough to ride sporty. Plenty of power. Plenty of farkles. Useful. Nice to look at.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 PM   #23
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
I took a long demo of the Ninja 1000. I've ridden the BMW F800 as well.

No comparison. The big Kawi is more planted, smoother, has more power, and is much more comfortable (The F800ST has much lower bars and a big tank hump).
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #24
wwestbrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Another vote for the Sprint GT. Just hit 10k miles on mine and still in love. I just rode her 180 miles through the heart of a tropical storm. She got me home save and sound. Fantastic bike.
1998 Electra Glide - SOLD
wwestbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #25
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
obligatory FZ1 vote.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
I posed a similar question a few months back. The two bikes that really seemed to stand out to me were the VFR800 and the F800ST. The Sprint and the Futura also comes to mind. I have never heard anything short of high praise for the Futura, but I don't see them too often.

Late model VFRs can be found all day long for under $5K. The F800ST depreciates like a rock, so they can also be had on the used market for a fraction of their retail price (I saw a couple good ones in the 6-7K range). Several Adventure type bikes were also suggested (Tiger 1050).

But I think Grainbelt and Jim K bring up very valid points about the Ninja and GSX-F. There are several bikes out there that look like crotch rockets, but they have very comfortable ergonomics. The first thing I notice now is a rider's position on a bike. It seems there are a lot more bikes with comfy ergos than I would have thought.

I wonder if anyone here had any experience on ZZR1200. I'm looking at one now. From what I read, my impression is that this is a very underrated and misunderstood bike of all time. The motor is very docile at legal speed rides but has power on tap, in fact enormous power like 145 hp, but like I said it's a gentle beast at speeds under 80 mph. It's really not a monster crotch rocket like many would think it is. I guess it all depends on how you ride the bikes. One thing that puts me off is the look - it doesn't have that sleek refined look - and the weight is on the heavier side, 600 lbs at the curb. It's roughly 50 lbs lighter than FJR1300, but it's also 50 lbs heavier than I would like.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #27
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ninja 1000 - This might be the bike I was seaching for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Ninja 1000

500lbs at the curb, comfy ergos, decent wind protection, power on tap, hard panniers - this might be the untimate tourer I've been looking for. Now, I need to wait for the price to come down a bit...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #28
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
ZZR1200, while ugly, is a cool bike, that will spank a Blackbird on a straight road. They handle surprisingly well too, and available factory hard luggage made them a pretty good sport-tourer, if on the sporty side.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #29
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
if it were me the ktm would be it cuz i like v twins

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #30
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

ZZR12 that's grown on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
ZZR1200, while ugly, is a cool bike, that will spank a Blackbird on a straight road. They handle surprisingly well too, and available factory hard luggage made them a pretty good sport-tourer, if on the sporty side.
The ZZR12 I'm looking at has had some tasteful mods done by the owner to make it more touring friendly. It has LSL handle bar that makes it almost upright riding posture, higher windscreen and GIVI side and top cases painted to match the bike. Dark metallic blue that I thought ugly at first but it kinda grown on me. I'm just not sure the bike would be a keeper.