Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 10:08 PM   #61
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Guzzi's are fun machines to ride once you do a once over and work out all the bugs. I had a '04 California that I enjoyed immensely once I worked out all the bugs. It took me quite a while to figure out the bugs tho. In the end, too much vibration and cruiser ergos that made me sell it. Many bolts were lost due to v-twin vibration. I still have '03 V11 Lemans that I continue to enjoy. It's one of my favorite bikes of all time. I'll never sell that one, but I don't consider it a sport tourer. I'm sure the Norge is very capable long distance machine that is more refined than my old California. Although I've seen Lemans set up for long distance duty, mine's set up to ride around town and for one day jaunts in the country side. I'm looking for something different for a long distance duty that is also quite suited for everday use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
Obviously I voted with my wallet and it's only been mentioned once, so I'll say it again. The Moto Guzzi Norge is a great bike that is in your weight class. IIRC my owner's manual says 547lbs dry. I'll admit this is the only sport tourer I've owned in 51 years of riding so I can't compare it to the other contenders. But I can tell you it's an excellent machine. Handling is terrific, and will cruise at any speed a sane person desires all day. I don't even get to sixth gear until I'm over 75. I've seen 52mpg, but the average on the road is closer to 45 and less than that around town. With it's six gallon tank I could count on at least 225 miles between fuel stops, but I generally stop sooner than that anyway.

Mine is an '08 that I bought new 23 months ago. It now has a touch over 11k miles and the motor didn't really break in and start to loosen up until it had about 7500 miles. Power adjustable windshield, heated grips, and ABS are all standard and maintenance (6000 mile intervals) is dead simple. The side cases are roomy and removeable in seconds (with the key) but do tend to leak a bit. It has never been a problem as I normally pack everything in dry bags anyway.

The new 2012 version has a revised motor with 4valve heads and a bit more horsepower, plus a number of other refinements.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #62
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Versys 650 Worthy of Long Distance Touring

Hi all,
I know Versys is mid 400 lb range bike but how would it be as a long distance sport tourer? Just broadening a horizon a little.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #63
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Damn that Guzzi has a pretty profile don't it? Nice bike
[/QUOTE]
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #64
Jay S.
600cc Beast

Oddometer: 88
Fz6r

I have been riding an FZ6R for 2 years now and it is awesome for sport-touring. Less than 500 pounds with plenty of power, even when loaded with gear. I recently did a 7 day, 3K mile trip from Texas to the Tail of the Dragon, down to Florida and back to Texas, loaded with gear and the bike performed flawlessly and never once did I want more power, even up and down the mountains. I too am 5'9" and stand perfectly flat footed on the 6R but I have a 32" inseam. I can't speak to how well it will tour 2-up but there are lots of people who use them 2-up with no complaints.

Just know that someone will reply with "The FZ6R is nothing compared to the FZ6!!!" For some reason that's a pretty hot issue, not sure why. :) When I was shopping I also rode a 650R Ninja and a Suzuki GSX650F. I think any of those three will do great as sport-touring mounts, contrary to some opinions. I've learned that typically those opinions come from people who have never toured on them.

Hell the new Ninja 650 has a few changes for 2012 specifically suited to sport-touring. I've also read many reports of people touring on a Versys. The beauty of all those bikes is that they are very cheap to purchase (even new) leaving lots of money for gear and traveling.

My .02 cents.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #65
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,529
i think the best sport tourer is one with upright ergos with plenty of leg room so i would go with either a 800 or 1050 tiger . 300 horsepower is fun but gets old after a day or two

MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:17 AM   #66
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post
300 horsepower is fun but gets old after a day or two
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #67
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
I do like the look and refinement of Blackbird over ZZR and I believe it's lighter by about 40 lbs. The main reason I'm looking at a ZZR is that I found one that's set up exactly the way I want it, i.e., LSL bars, hard side & top cases. Getting too lazy to tinker with stock bikes for a touring set up...
Having owned a ZZR12 (bar risers, corbin seat the only ergo mods) for five years, and a ZX-11 for 17 years prior to that, I'd put my vote firmly in this camp. The ZZR is hands down the best carbed bike I've ever owned. Kawi really got it right with this generation. Engine is bulletproof.

I also like that the SW-Motech racks come off in under a minute, so that when the side and top cases are off the bike it's sleek, but can be turned into a real gear hauler in no time at all.

You mentioned you found one in a dark blue; is it the color (pearl mystic black) that looks like black in low light but reveals the blue metallic flake in sunlight?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #68
Outwardbound
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Hi all,
I know Versys is mid 400 lb range bike but how would it be as a long distance sport tourer? Just broadening a horizon a little.
With a Russell seat, larger windscreen and GIVI's, it does the trick for me. Lots of carrying capability, bullet-proof engine, enough top speed to scare yourself, good mileage, and probably $3500 left over from one of the previous suggestions.

Not that money is everything: WEIGHT is.
Outwardbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #69
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock View Post

Does someone have a job at the Triumph factory running into the 1050 from the rear with a bulldozer?
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #70
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Does someone have a job at the Triumph factory running into the 1050 from the rear with a bulldozer?

It's got that "I'm so tough I've already been rear ended" look. If they could have kept that subframe and passenger seat closer to level I'd really have a greater appreciation for that bike.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #71
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementalg20 View Post
It's got that "I'm so tough I've already been rear ended" look. If they could have kept that subframe and passenger seat closer to level I'd really have a greater appreciation for that bike.
Agreed, stupid style over function that i'm sure cost them sales. If I were in the market today for a ST machine it would be the Triumph GT.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #72
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,530
650 Bandit...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #73
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Hi all,
I'm your dimensions and I think it would be great. I prefer it to any sport tourer I've sat on. YMMV.

The only glaring weakness is the suspension, but it can be easily upgraded.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #74
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by lager meister View Post
r1200rt.

I'm 5'9" with a 32" inseam and can easily flat foot my 2012 rt with the standard seat. Lots of creature comforts available... Electrically adjustable windshield, electronic cruise, audio system with ipod integration and sirius xm, heated grips/seat, factory hard luggage, esa, asc, tpm, etc, etc.
+1

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #75
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,323
Quote:
I still have '03 V11 Lemans that I continue to enjoy. It's one of my favorite bikes of all time. I'll never sell that one, but I don't consider it a sport tourer.
What do you consider it, then?

Mine fits the description quite nicely...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote