Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #91
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
So, am I nuts or are you running BMW luggage? How was the fit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CvFactor View Post
I like my SV650. I took it on a 5000 mile trip from Michigan to the north rim of the Grand Canyon up through Utah to Yellowstone and back home. The best addition is highway pegs which allows me to stretch my legs when they get fatigued. Great lightweight bike for touring solo.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #92
CvFactor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
So, am I nuts or are you running BMW luggage? How was the fit?
Yes, they are BMW sport panniers. I bought the brackets from a guy on here who had them custom made for his SV. He was parting out his bike so I bought them and glad I did. They are solid at all speeds, and I leave them on my bike all the time now.

One other addition is a Corbin seat which is a must because the stock seat is painfull after a few hours.
CvFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #93
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Yes, they are BMW sport panniers. I bought the brackets from a guy on here who had them custom made for his SV. He was parting out his bike so I bought them and glad I did. They are solid at all speeds, and I leave them on my bike all the time now.

One other addition is a Corbin seat which is a must because the stock seat is painfull after a few hours.
Yeah, leave mine on all the time (K1200R) and they are indeed great. Interesting custom touch -- your bike looks great, BTW.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #94
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,675

More sport than tour, but it can do both well.

Sport

Tour

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #95
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

Jim
That is one ugly motorcycle!!!

Then again... I do like my versys
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #96
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_ View Post
That is one ugly motorcycle!!!

Then again... I do like my versys
Beware! I will be in Lisboa in August!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #97
CvFactor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
Yeah, leave mine on all the time (K1200R) and they are indeed great. Interesting custom touch -- your bike looks great, BTW.
Thanks for the compliment. I bought the bike in 08 as a leftover 07, I've put 35k miles on it and every now and then I get the itch to upgrade but then I realize why? Its rock solid, easy to maintain and has ABS as a bonus. I think i'll ride it until it dies.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #98
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
I'm reassessing R1200RT. Sounds like a long distance mile muncher with great comfort. Good enough power @ about 110 horses, not too heavy compared to older RT's, optional cruise control & good sound system. Sounds like an awesome bike to do a cross country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
+1 on the R1200R. Loved mine:

Traded it for an upgrade:

Either bike is outstanding, and fits your weight limit. The only real difference is that the RT is about 80 pounds heavier due to the fairings and plastic bits.

The RT is quite easy to navigate around parking lots at very slow speeds if you know the proper technique. Either bike can play with crotch rockets, and carry the same BMW system luggage.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:28 AM   #99
Slyder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Another vote for the FZ1, I just completed a two week, 2900 mile loop through California on mine...

- Chris
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #100
ninepeaks9 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
What's the hard tail bag/trunk you got there? Would be a neat addition to my VFR800.

Quote:
I like my SV650. I took it on a 5000 mile trip from Michigan to the north rim of the Grand Canyon up through Utah to Yellowstone and back home. The best addition is highway pegs which allows me to stretch my legs when they get fatigued. Great lightweight bike for touring solo.
ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #101
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,471
Tiger 800 with a Madstad screen.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #102
CvFactor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
What's the hard tail bag/trunk you got there? Would be a neat addition to my VFR800.
Axio tailbag:
http://www.axioluggage.com/tailbag_silver.html
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #103
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
Guess I'm just getting old and confused, as most of the bikes mentioned I have owned. The ZZR1200 is a great bike, but seems happiest at double legal highway speeds. The Triumph 1050 ST, now GT was a fast, smooth handling bike, but bent my knees too much.

Tiger 1050, is not as fast or as quick handling as the ST, and I personally never grew to like it. Kawasaki's 650 line is a great one. Rode an ER6N, and it was a blast, but I bet the Versys has better wind protection and ergos.

The DL1000 VStrom is a wonderful road bike. Bad seat, but that was easily fixed. Really miss that bike.

Had an 03 1150 RT, and it was a great touring bike, though heavier than you desire, but you really don't feel the weight once moving.

Currently on a '12 1200RT and it is the best of all the bikes I've owned. With the ESA II controls, it will handle like a luxo touring bike or a sport bike with just a touch of a button. Great wind and weather control and plenty of torque and hp for all day highway riding. Cruise control and the audio system is good for the road, too.

Really, like has been said before, any bike you are happy riding will make a good touring bike for you. Just outfit it with the luggage you like and hit the road. BTW, I'm 5'10" and 31" inseam and 62...tomp

dirtdreamer50 screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:28 PM
dirtdreamer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #104
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Triumph Bonneville

Reading the OP I figured a Sprint GT would make the list but mention of that great sport tourer excited no one but me, judging by the lack of response. I lust after a Sprint. On the subject of any old bike being a sport tourer I hung a few cheap bags off my cheap 2007 Bonneville and I guess it is, with a Parabellum shield a non-sport tourer.

My last five day, 2500 mile ride , revealed the inadequacy of the seat so off that went to Sargents for a refurbish. 26 hours from Key West to Knoxville via Deal's Gap revealed the extent of the compression my seat had undergone over the past five years. Ride what you've got has always been my mantra. I guess it still is, and I really enjoy my touring Bonneville, my daily rider. $210 for a "new "seat versus $15,000 for a new bike. Hmmm...I'm looking forward to putting another 65,000 miles on this bike.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #105
ToF
n00b

Oddometer: 5
FZ8S, smoother and better mpg than FZ1, still enough HP do ride with pillion and full luggages. Quite good as std, better with some basic mods (fairing, windshield, comfort seat, hard cases and top box). And still under 500Lbs loaded. Shame you do not get the abs version in the US.

ToF is offline   Reply With Quote