User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Father + Son + Arctic Circle = Bliss Part Deux

Is it wrong to yearn for the road, knowing you’ll sorely miss a glance from your wife, the laughter of your son, or a daughter’s smile?

As packing and planning draw to a close, I ask myself this question. I’ve never been away from my family for the six-week duration DonnyO has planned for us on our trip to . . . . wait for it . . . . the Arctic Circle!

You might have caught our father-son trip last summer along the Pacific Coast Highway. Whether it was paddle boarding in San Diego, weaving through giant redwoods, or staring in awe at the Grand Tetons, we knew the two-week trip was merely a warm-up for this – a bucket-list ride to Alaska.

How does a duo prepare for such an adventure? It’s generational. DonnyO consults person-to-person in order to glean valuable experience of adventurers and friends while I resort to the Internet with a heavy dose of advrider! It wasn’t long before DonnyO’s steed featured a Booster Plug and Laminar Lip based on his friend Brian’s recommendations, a horn befitting a tug boat (I nearly shat myself the first time I heard it) based on another’s suggestion, and an AltRider rack system to carry RotoPax water and fuel canisters upon seeking additional advice.

I, on the other hand, might as well rename myself “what if?” It wasn’t long before an exhaustive list of tools and spare parts was assembled to cover documented advrider parts failures. Add to that some parts for any unlikely mishap that awoke me in a cold sweat at 2am, and I've essentially created the world's first rolling BMW parts department! Consequently, I only have room for a toothbrush and t-shirt in my 120-pound load of trip sundries. Additions to my bike Ronan resulted in a throttle position sensor (TPS) cover from fellow member kildala2000 and a set of Heidenau K60s to match DonnyO’s.

As for maintenance, DonnyO had BMW of Denver perform a 6,000 mile checkup on his bike to ensure it’s in tip-top condition. I, armed with JVB’s DVD, chose to go it alone and thoroughly enjoyed getting to know Ronan a bit better. By the way, BMW of Denver’s Parts Department - Tally and Chris - have both been extremely helpful in getting us prepared for the trip. Thanks, fellas!

Upon our return from last year’s trip, we realized we covered too many miles (for us) on a daily basis. We averaged 430+ miles per day and neither of us felt we really were able to soak in enough of the scenery. We don’t anticipate many opportunities to get six-week kitchen passes from our wives (maybe 4-5 more . . . tops), so we want to immerse ourselves in the scenery and not check the box as we motor by with a nod. We’ve ratcheted back to 300 miles per day. This should offer us the ability to (i) stop at more mom-and-pop restaurants in our never-ending quest to find the perfect cinnamon roll (ii) have time at the end of the day to locate a town's coldest beer (iii) learn about the area from the often-passed historical-point-of-interest signs and (iv) locate the best photo ops for friends and family to follow along.

Packed and ready, DonnyO dropped by late last week during a see-how-she-handles-loaded test ride.

He’s ready to go, but we’ll have to wait until his 67th birthday – June 30th – to depart!

In one of our many discussions over the past several months DonnyO captured my very thoughts by stating, “I don’t know what’s more fun – planning for the trip, or riding it.” I think I know the answer - stay tuned!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Subscribed....

Can't wait to see and read about it.
Good luck and Godspeed Gentlemen, have a blast for all of us who would love to be joining you!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
MTKNZ
Touring Kiwi

Oddometer: 104
Oh and Happy Birthday to DonnyO
Old 06-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Subscribed!
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
scpike
n00b

Oddometer: 1
????

Bmw?
scpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
lm248
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I'm in
Les

I love to plan too
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 441

Now THAT is a loaded bike!! ... can't wait to see the vid of you getting shoe-horned into the saddle while wearing an arctic suite ..

Father/Son trip .... fantastic !! fairdinkum mate, I wish you all the best of luck ..... subscribed.
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Larry Heaton
Old Guy

Oddometer: 2
Good luck on your trip North! Myself and 2 friends made the trip last year. I rode a 1200 GSA. I put new tires on it before we departed, but did not take any spare parts. The only problem I had was a burned out head light bulb. I carried a tent, sleeping bag, and air mattress. We moteled thmost of the way. Great ride! I'm 75 years old and was not the oldest rider in our group. We were on the road riding 22 days total.. We spent 3 days visiting friends, and total trip of 25 days.
Larry Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Regeaux
Texas

Oddometer: 27
I'm in

Subscribed
Regeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Glad to know several of you are subscribed!

french horn, that's why I took the photo! I was when I looked over and saw he was on his scoot - must have missed the crane that dropped him onto the bike! Turned out that top bag wasn't supposed to be there. DonnyO had pulled it out of his left pannier when we were comparing goodies we're taking on the trip. He took off, I noticed the bag, gave him my loudest whistle, and he returned for another good laugh!

Larry Heaton, I think I like your approach more than my rolling parts department! I read a quote recently - "A motorcycle doesn't kill you, it keeps you young." Sounds like yours has done exactly that!
Old 06-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Britchz
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Subscribed

Looking forward to another great write-up, Cousin!

Shannon
Britchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
Larry Heaton
Old Guy

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Glad to know several of you are subscribed!

french horn, that's why I took the photo! I was when I looked over and saw he was on his scoot - must have missed the crane that dropped him onto the bike! Turned out that top bag wasn't supposed to be there. DonnyO had pulled it out of his left pannier when we were comparing goodies we're taking on the trip. He took off, I noticed the bag, gave him my loudest whistle, and he returned for another good laugh!

Larry Heaton, I think I like your approach more than my rolling parts department! I read a quote recently - "A motorcycle doesn't kill you, it keeps you young." Sounds like yours has done exactly that!
It has and much, much more!
Larry Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
MBackman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Ready for Road reports

I am now registered and ready for road reports from you guys!! Have fun, be safe, and beer drinking!!
MBackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #14
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

MBackman, Good to see you here!

I've Ronan loaded and ready. Took a quick test run for fuel, and he's handling like DonnyO's sitting on back (memories of the Sturgis burnout mishap).

Photo compliments of a friggin' nut case otherwise known simply as "Philip."

Pretty squishy. Nothing a few twists of the preload knob couldn't fix, though!

Here he stands . . . READY!

We're being joined by Philip:

Brian:

And Frankie V:

We depart at 7:00am tomorrow morning - the boys are running us up to Cheyenne for breakfast - thanks fellas!
Old 06-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #15
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,618
in and awesome! happy b-day!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote