Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #76
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Dad and I rode up on KLRs about 6 weeks ago. He is there now.... I flew home to work. I fly back in a week and a half and we ride down to Haines and take the ferry to PR and up the Cassiar.

If you see Salcha or Harding lake signs that is near Dad's place..

PM me if you want and I will shoot you his number. If he's not out fishing I am sure he'd love to talk with you. And if your still around when I get there I would too.

Jason
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #77
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Pantah, you're right, it would have been easy to hit Dawson Creek from Whitehorse. We'll get there Friday, but first we wanted to loop south to Haines/Skagway. We ride the ferry later this morning to Skagway and hang out there for the day. Friday we'll head north to Dawson Creek.

I'll check out the Alcan5000. I think my kitchen passes will be dramatically shortened for awhile after these six weeks, though!

JasonLester, I'll PM you for your dad's number. We'll be through his parts after sleeping in Tok on our way to Fairbanks, Monday, July 16th. We may still be able to hook up with you as we putt around Alaska until catching the ferry in Whittier July 30th. I bet you had a great time seeing the sights with your pops!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #78
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 12 of 42 – First Ferry!

We awoke this morning with a great view of Chilkoot Inlet from our hotel.

It warranted a walk down to the water.

Flowers alongside the road were ready for the day.

The kid at this house must be the size of Shaquille O’Neal. I’ve never seen a more robust hoop structure.

Several waterfalls

Feed Tanani Bay.

We discussed local bear sightings with a couple driving a car. They showed us where a bear had walked across the hood of their car last night.

This Native pole was beautiful with a fantastic back drop.

Then, we arrived at Chilkoot Lake.

Cruising along Chilkat Inlet afforded us this view.

On our way to Mud Bay. Can you guess how it got its name?

We’re fans of the occasional dust cutter. In a port town, it becomes a

It was time to leave Haines, Alaska.

Because our ferry was about to dock.

We met SeanPNW and his friend Koshal on KLRs. It would have been fun to spend more time with them, but they are on their way home to Seattle. With the bikes tied down,

It was time to check out views from the upper deck.

An hour later, we were floating in to Skagway, Alaska.

It is smaller than Haines, but Skagway is much more geared toward tourists with Broadway hosting many shops.

DonnyO and I were thinking of our buddy.

I didn’t realize the size of a cruise ship. Pictured here is the Princess Diamond.

My buddy Tom would be disappointed to see these ropes aren’t wound into Flemish coils.

We retired to our room with an excellent parking spot.

G’nite.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #79
atokad
wan⋅der⋅lust

Oddometer: 2,528
Awesome.. Took a cruise in 1996 and stopped in Skagway, cool little place. The ride on the Yukon railway is a hoot, if you have the time. Takes you up Dead Horse Gulch back into Canada, and then back down into Skagway.

Makes me want to go again, only by land this time.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #80
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

atokad, we're off bright and early for Carmacs, so we'll miss the Yukon Railway.

Looking forward to swinada's tip on cinnamon rolls at Braeburn Lodge, though!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #81
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 13 of 42 – Monster Cinnamon Roll

Breakfast at Sweet Tooth Café kicked off our morning in Skagway, then we were headed out of town up the pass.

Best rear-view mirror pic of the trip so far:

The White Pass & Yukon Route Railway train was headed up the pass, too.

I never tire of the views in these parts.

After clearing the Canadian border, we came across Bove Island.

It appeared to be set upon a sheet of green glass.

A stop was in order, as we hadn’t eaten anything for two hours! The wood planks on the bridge heading into Carcross were new to us.

Our olfactory senses led us to this sourdough bakery.

It had been a jail in the past, but we were only interested in the Musher Cookies. They each weighed about a pound: ingredients included chocolate chips, dried apricots and flaxseed. Mine was great! DonnyO didn’t look so sure.

Carcross also claims Matthew Watson’s General Store as one of the oldest stores in the Yukon.

St. Saviour’s Church was built in Carcross in 1904.

A nice couple at our breakfast a few days ago in Watson Lake mentioned sand dunes in the area. Turned out they were just north of Carcross. The dunes host many species of plants and insects found only a few places in the world in similar conditions. The dunes were enabled by glacial retreat.

I channeled my inner lizard and sunned myself awhile.

We found the great grandfather of my childhood elephant, Elly.

DonnyO, a pilot since the early 70s, was keen on flying this DC-3 Gooney Bird. It is set up as a wind indicator and turns freely into the prevailing wind.

Fox Lake had a turnout allowing us to dip our rear tires into the crystal-clear water.

Before long, we found ourselves at Braeburn Lodge for, reputedly, the World’s Largest Cinnamon Roll. Eeny, meeny, miney, moe.

We chose this one. It’s definitely huge in comparison to the large cinnamon roll we had Day 1 in Cheyenne, Wyo. But, bigger doesn’t mean tastier.

Then, it was back to the road for our evening stay in Carmacks, YT.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #82
BioFool
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Really enjoying the ride report. How is the front shock holding up? My wife and I stopped at Skagway on a cruise a few years back and were surprised to find a Mountain Man Nut & Fruit (HQ'd in Parker, CO near your hometown) vendor there, as well as a Diamonds International, a staple in Caribbean cruise ports. (Maybe DI is trying to get a jump start on global warming?). If you return via Skagway consider getting your wife a pic in front of the Wells Fargo (only bank in town?) or a bauble from DI to help with next year's kitchen pass.
BioFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #83
BioFool
n00b

Thumb

Humongous cinnamon roll in Braeburn Lodge! Great girth but it looked about a pint low on frosting and butter compared to Cheyenne. And there is supposedly an even larger one still ahead?

Keep the pics and great narrative coming.
BioFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #84
Uff da
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Wow! It was great to catch up on your ride after being out of town for a few days. That youtube video is funny.
This is my new user name. I will attempt to make a RR out of my southern Cal trip. Allan
Uff da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #85
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

BioFool, I should have taken a shot of the WF Bank. Didn't even cross my mind when I saw it. We headed north yesterday out of Skagway and won't be back. The closest will be a distant wave in that direction as we float on the ferry south from Whittier to Bellingham, Wash., in a few weeks.

I'm unaware of a larger cinnamon roll ahead. The Braeburn Lodge roll is what swinada mentioned earlier in the thread.

Uff da, let's see a couple pics of your new baby! Put them up here. Glad you're home safe, too. Did you take Route 66 through Oatman and Seligman?

We were warned by several locals last night that our accommodations, next to a bar, were not the best in terms of keeping what's rightfully ours. So, we stripped the bikes of everything but seats and tanks yesterday. Now, we're off to hang panniers, reapply ROK straps, tank bags, etc.

Tonight we'll be in Dawson City. Should be fun. Stay tuned.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #86
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Diamond tooth Gerties!! Lol have fun
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #87
Britchz
n00b

Great RR!!!

Your last RR and this one is going to force me to rethink my next scoot! The pictures are outstanding! Are you using your iPhone or some point and shoot?

Keep up the great posts!
Shannon O'C
Britchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #88
Uff da
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Yes, I went through Oatman! Can't thank you enough for that detour. Did you guys stop at the American Flag at mile mark 21? It is a tribute from Korean War Veterans. Getting over to it was my only off road riding and of course I almost dumped the bike... slippery gravel and street tires don't play well together.
I can figure out how to post a photo. When did I become one of those people?

Uff da screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 07:28 AM
Uff da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #89
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

JasonLester, thanks for the tip! We'll check out Gertie's.

Britchz, we'd love to have you join our GS crew of two! The camera is a Canon PowerShot ELPH100 HS. It's a $180 point and shoot.

Uff da, Oatman was DonnyO's idea. Glad you liked it. We didn't stop at MM21 - not sure we even knew about it. As for photos, upload them to photobucket.com. Float your mouse over the photo, click in the IMG field (it'll say "copied"), and paste that link into your advrider response. Should work - it's how I do mine.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #90
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 503
Great to meet up with you two in Carmacks.

My wife and I jusrt finished paddling the Yukon River from WhiteHorse to Dawson. On our way home now.

Saw your red beamer and your olympic riding suit, I swear you must have borrowed my bike and ridding gear. It all looks so familiar. I'll be checking the garage when I get back home from the Yukon next week

Seriously, I'll send you a PM. When you arrive in the Seattle area, if you want a place to park, sleep for a day or so, give me a yell.
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote