User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #91
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Day 14 of 42 – Be Alert!

This morning our bikes were still there, so we loaded them up and left Carmacks, YT.

I thought the birds flying around at breakfast were crows, but they’re ravens. The raven ceaselessly squawks, but you don’t want to mess with them, ‘cause they’re BIG!

We met a German guy who bought a KLR in Vancouver and has been traveling for nine months. As long as he is back in New York by September 15th for his flight, he’s good. Cool trip!

Then Lee (THX_337) came over and talked with us for awhile. Turned out he and his wife had spent time up here paddling the Yukon River. He was really helpful with rides around Seattle that will come in handy in a few weeks when DonnyO and I disembark the Kennicott ferry in Bellingham, Wash. He has a red R12GSA, so he has great taste, too!

Five Fingers Rapids have a cool history. Steam paddlewheelers were only able to negotiate the closest channel due to the other portion of the Rapids being too shallow. During the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898-1899, there was a two-foot drop the boats would have to be towed over. The drop was eventually blown up to provide smooth water flow and easier passage.

Today was not scenic compared to others, but it was still nice.

If you ride up here, you always need to be alert. Today was filled with bored chipmunks playing “chicken” with our bikes. They’d rip across the road, freeze, then run again as you nearly squished them. No chipmunks were hurt in the making of this ride.

It also helps to keep your eyes forward for other drivers. Seconds after snapping this photo, an RV rounded the corner, saw the yellow mower in his lane, and swerved into ours. Ever alert, DonnyO anticipated it, and onward we rode.

Road conditions quickly change for yet another concentration test. The ride can be going along swimmingly, then, this.

The Tintina Trench can be seen from space. It is a fault line that has shifted laterally at least 450KM, a massive event that caused rivers to flow west instead of their original southerly direction.

Here’s the start to the Dempster Highway. We were thinking of heading up to the Arctic Circle earlier today, but the Highway is closed due to washed out road. Plus, it would have added 480 miles to our day!

It was nice to have a wind-free day again!

Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, YT, is what we’ll call home for two nights.

We found Sourdough Joe’s restaurant located on Dawson City’s first lot. In August 1896, prospector Joe Ladue staked claim to the whole town. He started selling lots in the winter of 1896 for $5.00 each. By the summer of 1897, the Klondike Gold Rush was in full swing, and he was selling them for $8,000 each! Joe Ladue returned a rich man to marry his high-school sweetheart in New York. Cool story – I’ve a cold beer in my cousin Logan’s koozie – bring on dinner! Are those beer suds in my raging mustache?

theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #92
JDMitchell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Great pics and commentary. Hopefully the injuries from Wyoming are just memories by now.

I noticed earlier in the thread you mentioned that your chatterboxes are only good up to around 60 mph. I tried a chatterbox and thought it was on the quiet side also. I ended up buying a set of Sena SMH-10's and my wife and I love them. Plenty of volume (I can hear music well past the legal speed limit). The ease of use is phenomenal and the battery life is good for 10+ hours of use. The best part was that I got the set for $250 which was well below anything else last year when I bought them.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #93
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Subscribed. Been a great read. Now I want to make a trip to Alaska
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #94
K-9119
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Old 07-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #95
motorcyklmikl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Outstanding triplogue

Kudos on your writing skills Ofam. DoubleD is a trooper plugging along w/sore ribs. Were you comfy on the 33F morning? Someone mentioned a video. Where can I find it?
motorcyklmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #96
Uff da
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
video

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcyklmikl View Post
Kudos on your writing skills Ofam. DoubleD is a trooper plugging along w/sore ribs. Were you comfy on the 33F morning? Someone mentioned a video. Where can I find it?
You can find the link a little past half way down page 5. Below Simon written with rocks.
Uff da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #97
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

JDMitchell, glad you're enjoying the RR! I checked out the Sena units - liked the price. DonnyO liked the idea I could be on the moon and he could still communicate with me given the Chatterbox's range. I think it's five miles (line of sight) vs. 1/4 mile for the Sena units. I could have gone either way. Unfortunately, he dropped his helmet early in the trip . . . again . . . and broke the tab that mounts to the helmet . . . again . . . so we've not had communication with each other since Lake Louise. Can't tell from the pic. Are you in the Army? If so, thanks for your service!

Digasi, get up here! It's beautiful - don't skip Canada, though. It's fantastic, too.

K-9119,

motorcyclmikl, twas fun catching up with you on the phone earlier today. Sounds like your trip around the lakes was beautiful!

Uff da, thanks for helping out. Love that KTM. Let's try to get a weekend in September to camp on our scoots!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #98
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 15 of 42 – Dawson City

Dawson City, YT, is close to our northernmost point during our trip. Naturally, we’ve been curious to witness the amount of light in the wee hours of the morning. As Dawson won’t experience twilight until July 24th, the entire day remains in some state of light. Here is 3:00am Saturday morning.

We were told to see two sights in Dawson City – Midnight Dome and Dredge No. 4. Off to the Dome we went! From the top you can see the Yukon River, Klondike Valley, Bonanza Creek (home of the Klondike Gold Rush), Top of the World Highway and the Ogilvie Mountains.

On the way back down, we snapped a photo of snake-like tailings in the valley.

Next up – a little history on the area by visiting Bonanza Creek. Bonanza Creek, formerly Rabbit Creek, was renamed when the Klondike Gold Rush took hold in 1898. Local Tagish men Skookum Jim and Dawson Charlie were with George Carmack along Rabbit Creek in 1896. They were hungry, and Skookum Jim had just shot a moose. Parched, he went down to this part of Rabbit (Bonanza) Creek, and found gold!

By 1899, the Rush was slowing down, and many of the miners were off to an area near Anchorage to chase the next gold rush in hopes of striking it rich. Large corporations started moving in, making it difficult for the individual miner to make a living, and by 1906 local rivers and tributaries were being dredged.

Dredge No. 4 was thought to be the world’s largest dredge when built in 1906 at eight (8) stories tall and 140 feet long.

Sixty-six buckets tore into the land, digging the equivalent of one standard dump truck per minute! It took three men working a full day to accomplish this task.

Each bucket weighed 2.5 tons!

A dredge is essentially a huge gold pan, combining water (see large line by DonnyO):

With pay dirt (gravel from the buckets), into this 63-ton trommel perforated with .5 to 1.5 inch holes. It was literally a deafening process for the workers. Any rock larger than 1.5 inches slid onto a conveyor belt and out the back the tailings went.

Gold flakes and nuggets fell through the trommel’s holes and settled in these sluice runs.

In the years Dredge No. 4 operated, it generated $8.6 million in gold – using pricing back then of $35/ounce! Gold recently closed over $1,700/ounce.

We figured a bike shot with some tailings was in order.

A quick bike wash to get off the first two weeks’ bugs:

And we were ready to start our evening. We returned to Sourdough Joe’s. Andie was kind enough to model cousin Logan’s booze koozies.

Then it was off to our paddlewheeler cruise on the Yukon River. Notice the wrecked wheeler behind us.

Heaven? Maybe. One-bedroom cabin on the Yukon. Pretty darn nice!

Cave man Bill squatted on this cave years ago. He has since added a stove, a cabin facade, and reportedly is quite a woodworker, selling his furniture to finance the lifestyle. Food and sundries are just a quick boat ride across the Yukon to Dawson.

Here’s your river view to the top of Midnight Dome.

Hmm. Those first few beers tonight tasted pretty good. Let’s go do a Sour Toe Shot at the Sourdough Saloon!

Those with weak tummies, skip down a bit.

Here is the frost-bitten toe of some poor soul.

Add it to your shot of choice, take the oath from First Mate Mike.

“You may drink this fast, or you may drink this slow, but your lips MUST touch the toe!” Down the hatch.

“Hey, DonnyO, I feel pretty good!” “Me, too, let’s keep going!” Off to Diamond Tooth Gerties we went for the midnight show. May have to hit up the hot dog vendor on the way out (yep, it’s midnight).

Can-can dancing girls.

And we were off to bed at 1:00am.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #99
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 16 – Sand Angel

The morning began with a brief ferry ride across the Yukon River to West Dawson.

Like fists pressed against one another, knuckles interlocked, the tightly packed, rolling hills were omnipresent as we traversed Top of the World Highway.

Like a pencil line drawn across a ballroom floor, the Highway traces the ridgeline across this massive landscape.

Beautiful flowers abound.

And in a few hours, we had crossed back in to the good-‘ol-USA at Poker Creek. Love the population sign!

Soon thereafter, we were in:

We weren’t in the mood for the Saloon (see Dawson City entry), but it warranted a visit. It appears guys leave hats,

While girls pack panties into a cannon and obliterate them, only to later hang them from the ceiling.

It was a dusty day with lots of gravel.

But clouds parted and provided a sky rivaling the countryside’s beauty.

At times, you could nearly touch the clouds.

The hillsides began to change. Hmmm. What can I do with that?!

Sand angel!

After pouring sand out of my gloves, we were off to Tok.

But not before DonnyO could do his best impression of Rose in Titanic. “Jack! I’m flying, Jack!”

And the electric eel.

Checked in to the motel, we’re hitting the sack!
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 AM   #100
JasonLester
Riding north

Oddometer: 188
Looks like your having fun. Hope you get ahold of dad. I'll be up Saturday. I know I am looking forward to getting back on the bike.
JasonLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:08 AM   #101
MBackman
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wicked Great Stuff!!

Well boys I have been checking in everyday, just not a lot of posts, and each time I am just loving the adventure. I even have folks at work stopping by for updates!! Great stuff and the beers and shots looked like a fun night, maybe a little too much fun! Thanks again and safe travels!!
MBackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #102
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

JasonLester, I left a vm for your dad last night. Hopefully I hear back from him and we can visit on the way to Fairbanks today.

MBackman, funny to hear even folks at work are asking for updates! Dawson stung a bit, but nothing a greasy breakfast, couple Tylenol, and some water couldn't fix. Hope you and yours are well.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #103
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post

Digasi, get up here! It's beautiful - don't skip Canada, though. It's fantastic, too.

That it is. I have spent a large part of my childhood in Soldotna, AK. I have actually been down the Alcan hwy when we moved back down to the lower 48, but we didn't have any time to really enjoy the drive. So I skipped Canada once, and don't want to do that again!
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #104
Himself
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Sourdough!

gotta love the sourdough restaurant!!!
and I know Logie would be proud to know he's there in spirit for sure!!! - as am I :) looks like you guys are having an incredible time!!! thanks for bringing the journey close to reality with your journal Love you fellers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theofam View Post
Day 14 of 42 – Be Alert!

This morning our bikes were still there, so we loaded them up and left Carmacks, YT.

I thought the birds flying around at breakfast were crows, but they’re ravens. The raven ceaselessly squawks, but you don’t want to mess with them, ‘cause they’re BIG!

We met a German guy who bought a KLR in Vancouver and has been traveling for nine months. As long as he is back in New York by September 15th for his flight, he’s good. Cool trip!

Then Lee (THX_337) came over and talked with us for awhile. Turned out he and his wife had spent time up here paddling the Yukon River. He was really helpful with rides around Seattle that will come in handy in a few weeks when DonnyO and I disembark the Kennicott ferry in Bellingham, Wash. He has a red R12GSA, so he has great taste, too!

Five Fingers Rapids have a cool history. Steam paddlewheelers were only able to negotiate the closest channel due to the other portion of the Rapids being too shallow. During the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898-1899, there was a two-foot drop the boats would have to be towed over. The drop was eventually blown up to provide smooth water flow and easier passage.

Today was not scenic compared to others, but it was still nice.

If you ride up here, you always need to be alert. Today was filled with bored chipmunks playing “chicken” with our bikes. They’d rip across the road, freeze, then run again as you nearly squished them. No chipmunks were hurt in the making of this ride.

It also helps to keep your eyes forward for other drivers. Seconds after snapping this photo, an RV rounded the corner, saw the yellow mower in his lane, and swerved into ours. Ever alert, DonnyO anticipated it, and onward we rode.

Road conditions quickly change for yet another concentration test. The ride can be going along swimmingly, then, this.

The Tintina Trench can be seen from space. It is a fault line that has shifted laterally at least 450KM, a massive event that caused rivers to flow west instead of their original southerly direction.

Here’s the start to the Dempster Highway. We were thinking of heading up to the Arctic Circle earlier today, but the Highway is closed due to washed out road. Plus, it would have added 480 miles to our day!

It was nice to have a wind-free day again!

Downtown Hotel in Dawson City, YT, is what we’ll call home for two nights.

We found Sourdough Joe’s restaurant located on Dawson City’s first lot. In August 1896, prospector Joe Ladue staked claim to the whole town. He started selling lots in the winter of 1896 for $5.00 each. By the summer of 1897, the Klondike Gold Rush was in full swing, and he was selling them for $8,000 each! Joe Ladue returned a rich man to marry his high-school sweetheart in New York. Cool story – I’ve a cold beer in my cousin Logan’s koozie – bring on dinner! Are those beer suds in my raging mustache?

Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #105
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Digasi, PM me the link to your ride report when you go!

Himself, good to see you on here. Logie, Justin, you and Lib are here with us in spirit!