Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-M View Post
I like to bring my 12v compressor to a pine forest and fill my tires with compressed nature air. Keeps them smelling clean and fresh.
Good idea... Then you can let the pine scent out in your garage and keep living that ride over and over.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
bigdave-gs
Explorer

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
Go to your nearest General Aviation airport, remove the air and fill with nitrogen...the tires will last longer and your ride will improve.

Naa, run helium, it will make your big pig lighter ! ! !

2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure for street work / KTM 950 Super Enduro for Dirt work !
bigdave-gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #33
Bazza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Valvoline Dura Blend 80W-90

I have been using Valvoline Dura Blend in my Airhead for 12 years and everything works great.

the FD on my 2002 R1150 GS failed at 28K miles and I am having it rebuilt by the Rubber Chicken "Racing Garage. When I get it back I will be using the same Valvoline Synthetic blend in the tranny and the final drive.

Bazza
Plano, TX
R100S
R1150GS

Bazza screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 10:15 AM Reason: added fd failure milage
Bazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #34
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 729
I bought a one litre bottle of the BMW recommended SAF XO from the BMW dealer for $24 bucks. This will give you five final drive changes. JVB recommends 180ML per change so that is about $5 bucks every set of Tourances at 8 to 10K miles for me. No big deal to me for a warranty approved fluid convieniently in stock.

JVB hinted that you can buy the reusable ML dispenser bottle with the angled nozzle for $3.00 at Sally Beauty Supply, I bought two on sale for $1.98. Thanks JVB, I will buy your lunch if we ever meet.

But ask BMW for a single serving 200 ML bottle of the SAF XO and it is $9.00
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
But ask BMW for a single serving 200 ML bottle of the SAF XO and it is $9.00
Are you saying you think it is somewhat expensive?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
Very little space for the oil to circulate? Wow! I did not know that.
Wait...What??

A detailed explanation is needed before I believe this statement. Space between what and what? Do you really think that there is anything inside the final drive housing that isn't completely covered in gear oil?

No really, I want the science, the true high tech explanation behind this. AND I'm willing to keep an open mind if it is reasonable.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:50 PM   #37
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
Wait...What??

A detailed explanation is needed before I believe this statement. Space between what and what? Do you really think that there is anything inside the final drive housing that isn't completely covered in gear oil?

No really, I want the science, the true high tech explanation behind this. AND I'm willing to keep an open mind if it is reasonable.
Someone should instal a small camera and LED light in the final drive to document FD oil circulation (or lack thereof).
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #38
bob393
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by radon222 View Post
Well since someone already brought this up and I now have a new moto in the stable...

Can some please tell me that I can keep life simple and just buy 75-90W synth for the tranny and FD in both my 1150GS and 1200RT Camhead????

If I gotta buy two different weights I know I'm going to eventually stick it in the wrong hole...
That's what I do. I use Castrol Synthetic 75-90W
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #39
Beemerlover
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Personally, and this is just me, since I'll be dropping $21,000++++ on my '13 GSA, then I'm gonna have NO problem at all buying the approved lubes recommended by the factory and sold by the dealers. Of course they're seriously and grossly overpriced, but so is everything else that BMW makes/sells. If (when) my tranny and/or FD goes boom, then at least they can't quibble over the lubes that were in it when it did.

Again, just my opinion on what I plan to do. Not trying to say or even suggest that anybody else should do the same.
Beemerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #40
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerlover View Post
Personally, and this is just me, since I'll be dropping $21,000++++ on my '13 GSA, then I'm gonna have NO problem at all buying the approved lubes recommended by the factory and sold by the dealers. Of course they're seriously and grossly overpriced, but so is everything else that BMW makes/sells. If (when) my tranny and/or FD goes boom, then at least they can't quibble over the lubes that were in it when it did.

Again, just my opinion on what I plan to do. Not trying to say or even suggest that anybody else should do the same.
A strong vote for capitalism.......YEAH.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #41
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaming View Post
I was over at Sierra BMW the other day inquiring about final drive oil. The guys in the shop told me that they just got a lower cost oil for the final drive. It is a BMW labeled oil. The cost 22.90 for a liter bottle. The label reads:

BMW Group
Final Drive Gear Oil
C-SAF-XO
SAE 75W-90
P/N 07 51 2 293 972

On the back it says API GL-5
Made in USA
This is for the 1200s only and BMW has simply just lowered the price. $50/quart proved very unpopular.

SAF-XO is a synthetic formulation designed specifically for lifetime fill applications ... which was the original specifications for all 1200s and this was the oil they had in mind when the 1200 rear drives were designed. It's also specified for the nonlimited slip BMW cars.

BMW has changed the "lifetime fill" specification (at least in the USA) but they have not changed the fluid specification for 1200 rear drives. That is, SAF-XO remains the spec and there are ZERO equivalents out there.

FWIW, I think "made in USA" refers only to the packaging, but that's trivia.

Any discussion of 1100s, 1150s, etc. in this thread are irrelevant, as this fluid is not specified for any BMWs save R1200s and K12/1300s.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #42
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,070
So based on a lack of any technical response to my request I think we can safely say that statements of there is not enough room for the higher viscosity gear lube to circulate inside the final drive housing is complete and utter bull shit.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #43
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
So based on a lack of any technical response to my request I think we can safely say that statements of there is not enough room for the higher viscosity gear lube to circulate inside the final drive housing is complete and utter bull shit.
I'd say that sums it up pretty well.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:01 PM   #44
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 7,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
That is, SAF-XO remains the spec and there are ZERO equivalents out there.

Except for all the other GL-5 lubricants...a standard is a standard..a grade a grade..a oil either meets the standard or doesn't..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #45
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
A giant veterinarian type syringe available for a couple of bucks at your local farm supply work great. Marked in cc/ml...easy to control the flow and no dripping. Excellent results on the only BMW mandated fluid SAF-XO. Engine oils (Castrol) are only recommended and brake fluid is just DOT 4.