Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #46
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Except for all the other GL-5 lubricants...a standard is a standard..a grade a grade..a oil either meets the standard or doesn't..
You, Sir, are a party-pooper.. We're having an oil-thread here

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 AM   #47
Thunder Pig
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
I was under the impression that GL-5 is a minimum use specification, in other word it has to be at least this good to qualify. The BMW SAF-XO oil meets that minimum spec. That doesn't mean it can't be better. BMW says you have to use GL-5 spec oil or better. So what if this SAF-XO is better? How is it better? Why is it better? What is better?

The old adage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind. Has anyone looked into this magic juice to see if maybe it is better? Maybe it's worth it?

That being said, I'll probably buy a synthetic GL-5 from Auto Zone when the time comes, unless someone can show that SAF-XO is better and not just because BMW says so.
98 KTM 200EXC
99 Speed Triple, etc...
Thunder Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 AM   #48
otto
UAW

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
So based on a lack of any technical response to my request I think we can safely say that statements of there is not enough room for the higher viscosity gear lube to circulate inside the final drive housing is complete and utter bull shit.
+1

I have an 1150 GS with 99,300 miles on it with no problems. I change the oil in the trans and FD every year with Mobil 1 75w 140 gear oil.

Not enough room for heavy oil to circulate =
Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #49
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk View Post
You, Sir, are a party-pooper.. We're having an oil-thread here

[TaSK]
Sorry TaSK..

I'm drawn like a moth to a flame to these threads just cause there is so much mis information..it makes me laugh..

The vast majority of us get it..use quality oil, change it every now and again, you'll have zero problems..but then, every once in a while, some one says "well, BMW says..." and it should be an end all...you would think most people have figured out, manufacturers use whatever they can buy cheap, that will get them thru the warranty period. And of course they will say that's their "spec".. BMW told us for a while too that final drive oil was "forever fluid"..we all see how that worked out..

So Castrol was low bidder when my Manual was written, it's the 'Spec" what will it be for the Water head???
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #50
lkchris
Albuquerque

Oddometer: 967
Quote:
Except for all the other GL-5 lubricants...a standard is a standard..a grade a grade..a oil either meets the standard or doesn't..
My, how we misunderstand.

Think of GL-5 as the minimum. SAF-XO is more.

First of all it's synthetic.

Secondly it has other components, some if not all of which are directed toward the lifetime fill concept. You can take to the bank that "minimum GL-5" is not suitable for lifetime fill.

There's nothing about "GL-5" that says it can't be more than the minimum.

This isn't that hard to understand, unless of course it's deliberate to help rationalize buying the cheapest.

Same bit of rationalization leads to statements like "BMW uses the cheapest." Same bit of rationalization leads to the belief the lifetime fill requirement was dropped outside the USA. Germans have proven before they will not fight all the American lubrication geniuses and dealers disgruntled when their shop labor sales are reduced by things like extended change intervals.
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #51
UAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Specifically for an 2012 R1200GS Adventure where is it specified that a GL-5 lubiricant meets specs for the final drive and transmission? In the owners manual and Service DVD dated 06-2012, 7th edition both final drive and transmission specifically state SAF-XO.

The same sources only recommend Castrol motor oil. And DOT4 as the only requirement for brake fluid.

Is the SAF-XO some magic elixir? Hell if I know. But BMW seems to think so.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #52
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
My, how we misunderstand.

Think of GL-5 as the minimum. SAF-XO is more.

First of all it's synthetic.

Secondly it has other components, some if not all of which are directed toward the lifetime fill concept. You can take to the bank that "minimum GL-5" is not suitable for lifetime fill.

There's nothing about "GL-5" that says it can't be more than the minimum.

This isn't that hard to understand, unless of course it's deliberate to help rationalize buying the cheapest.

Same bit of rationalization leads to statements like "BMW uses the cheapest." Same bit of rationalization leads to the belief the lifetime fill requirement was dropped outside the USA. Germans have proven before they will not fight all the American lubrication geniuses and dealers disgruntled when their shop labor sales are reduced by things like extended change intervals.
Well...funny, cause my manual says "Castrol SAF-XO" for one and "Castrol SAF-XF" for yhe other..one is the 90 the other a 140...

So you're saying my Amsoil GL-5 doesn't meet the same spec as the Castrol?? Hardley...it will prolly out perform it...is cheaper and if they spec GL-5...THEY CANNOT KICK OUT OF WARRANTY IF YOU USE ANY GL-5. Most GL-5's are going to carry the same badic additive package...thats what makes them GL-5...

BTW..I change my tranny and final drive about every 20K...and use oil analysis...it always comes back as being able to leave it..same as the engine oil I change every 10K...

It just really isnt that big of deal...then again, I've only been selling lubes for 10 years..and def can school me on it...
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #53
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
I've only been selling lubes for 10 years..and def can school me on it...
...and he will

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #54
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,657
Quote:
Snip ...THEY CANNOT KICK OUT OF WARRANTY IF YOU USE ANY GL-5....
Snip
So has anyone who has had to warranty a Final Drive had BMW analyze their gear lube to see if it met spec??? Of course if you had ATF or some visually obviously wrong fluid, yeah, but any regular old stinky basic gear lube??

(insert cricket sounds here)

Yeah......I didn't think so...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #55
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
So has anyone who has had to warranty a Final Drive had BMW analyze their gear lube to see if it met spec??? Of course if you had ATF or some visually obviously wrong fluid, yeah, but any regular old stinky basic gear lube??

(insert cricket sounds here)

Yeah......I didn't think so...
I would love to hear someone with real world experience on this.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote