User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
RedRockKen OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
RedRockKen: Dual Sport Reports from Southern Utah

#1 - Intro to RedRockKen (aka Ken Nelson)
#2 - Ride Report: Old Dump Road to Silver Reef to Quail Lake (56 miles, 2/3rds dirt)

Hi,

I was inspired to start riding when my brother shared RedRockRider's awesome ride report thread. My brother rides, mostly street, which really hasn't interested me. Dual sport was something I hadn't really heard of, until RedRockRider's thread came before me. Thanks!

I'll start a similar, but much less awesome thread, with my riding from home in St. George, UT - and other places I travel to with the bike on a hitch mount or enclosed trailer. Currently I'm planning on bringing the bike with me to KY, GA, TN, and TX.

So thanks to my brother, Kevin, younger but retired (what's up with that!!):

After I get more experience, we hope to take a tour, across Europe on motorcycles. I just got back from a long trip to Europe and this road appealed:

That is the Gross Glockner High Alpine Road in Austria. We did it by car, which was AWESEOME. On a bike???? Outrageous, should be illegal, fun!

About me... I'm 50, a long time software entrepreneur and I've lived in St. George since a few days after 9/11/2001. What an experience driving across the country moving, btw!

I'm a VERY new rider. I've got 6 days on a bike - 3 days of day long private training at MotoVentures- Dirt First in Temecula, CA, 2 days of the Utah Basic Rider Course, and now 1 day with my own new bike. Yippee!

Me, with what I've been allowed to ride:

and the new Yamaha WR250R that I picked up yesterday.

I've put about 100 miles on it since I got it yesterday morning. Mostly just testing things, and today I did my first big trek, which I will describe in my next post.

I also have a Yamaha IT400D, which I traded a pistol for. It ran pretty good, until I left it at the range, where someone wrecked it. So I'm refurbishing it, and it looks like this now:

My name is Ken Nelson, if you are in St. George and want to get together to ride, eat, or (my other hobby) go shooting, just message!

Regards,

Ken N.

RedRockKen screwed with this post 07-03-2015 at 05:29 PM
RedRockKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
RedRockKen OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
St. George, UT: Old Dump Road to Leeds (dirt) to Quail Lake

St. George to Leeds to Harrisonburg to Hurricane (Quail Lake) to Washington to St. George. 56 miles total, about 2/3rd fire road, 1/3rd street, no interstate.

The ride plan is shown in this Google map.

https://goo.gl/maps/XZLpY

I start the ride from the Maverick by the new Mall Road bridge over the Virgin River. The "dirt" part starts above the industrial part of St. George, heading towards Pine Mountain. I take off, past Denny's, Tropical Smoothie, Rowdy's Range, heading north towards Pine Mountain. Follow the road, and it takes you around to Leeds.

The bike is new and I don't, yet, have a way to store water. But I felt like I might get thirsty. So I strapped on a "vintage" cooler from WalMart:

The route is relatively easy, although I did hit blown, deep, crusty sand on some sections. Never dumped it, just did what I learned at Dirt First (MotoVentures in Temecula, CA) and got thru fine.

Here is a stop just past the where the dirt starts, looking back at St. George:

I had persistent troubles with my ear buds stopping playing. It was odd... I'd stand up to ride, it would play. I'd sit down, it would stop. I couldn't sort it out, I wasn't sitting on any cables (blue tooth!). Turns out, I had a remote control in my tail bag, and I was pressing it. Irritating, I probably stopped 5 times to try and decode this mystery!

Here is the highest point, looking out over Leeds and towards Zion National Park.

The ride is pretty easy, and I hit next to no traffic (one truck), which I let pass.

Once in Leeds, I stopped for a photo at Silver Reef (a sort of ghost town, but now surrounded by houses and turned into a small photo/shopping point).

From Leeds, I crossed under the highway. If planning your route, there is a small cafe there for breakfast, lunch, or just a rest.

Then on to Quail Lake via Harrisonburg:

I'm not comfortable, yet, riding on the interstate, so I took SR9 a short distance towards Sand Hollow, and cut thru by the pecan farms towards the Washington Dam road, which brought me full circle back to the Maverick, and then home!

I use a SPOT satellite tracker, at my wife's request, but it's probably a good idea. It tracks me every 5 minutes and posts tracks to a "where is ken" map that my family can visit at anytime. There are also buttons for "I'm fine, and I"m here", and "I need help, but not urgent", and "I need urgent help, send SAR!". The blue track on the map below is where I pushed the "I'm Okay" button. It sent a text/email to my wife saying "I'm good, and I'm at this GPS". I like it, glad I got it.

Here is the track for this ride:

All in all, a successful first "bigger" trek with my new ride. It is 56 miles total, about 15 street I'd guess, the rest relatively easy fire roads.

The cost for all this fun???

That's it for now. Apologies for my initial post with funky pictures. Apparently you need to be logged into Dropbox to see them. )-: I moved them over to my own domain, which is way simpler to do.

Feedback welcome. And I'm very interested in joining up for rides, subject to the expertise required!

RedRockKen screwed with this post 07-03-2015 at 05:49 PM
RedRockKen is offline   Reply With Quote