Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Taipan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Question Rough running F800, any ideas on the cause?

Hi All

My new (to me) 2006 F800S has a problem. Its the very common cutting out problem. One of the known causes can be kinked idle actuator valve hoses.

So I took my air box etc off to check this and clean the actuator valve. Hoses were fine and I could watch the actuator valve move by turning the ignition on and off. When you turn it one it goes up a bit. When you turn the ignition off it raises a bit more then sinks down to the low position.

Hoses were fine and even if I compress the bend of the hose I can still blow freely through it.

So I reassemble and road test. Damn. The bike is leaping around all over the place. Wont idle at all and surges forwards, holds back, is down on power etc. I've made it a lot worse!

So i limp back home. Strip it back down to see if I can find what I've done, but I cant see anything that looks out of place or different to how it was originally? I search the archive son F800 riders and find this info on resetting the throttle position sensor which I carry out,

1. Turn on ignition but do not start the bike
2. Turn the twist grip from zero to fully open and hold fully open for 5 seconds
3. Wait 5 seconds and repeat step 2. another 4 times (do 5 times in total)
4. Then turn off the ignition and wait at least 15 seconds before turning the ignition back on.
5. Ride and try

Bike now starts and idles so off for a road test I go. Bike is now pulling smoothly and has its power back! But wait all of a sudden it starts holding back again and wont idle at all, in fact anything below 2000 rpm is dead.

I'm trying to head for home and grab a big handful of throttle and wind it wide open to try and accelerate but have to back off as a car moves into my lane. Now the bike is working almost properly again. So I ride some more, after a while in traffic it starts playing up again, so I repeat the getting the throttle wide open whilst in a higher gear and again it solves the rough running. Its like it has to relearn its settings?

Even after this it still struggles to idle and the idle is lower than it should be and to get it to idle you have to hold throttle a while and let it settle down.

Any ideas on what going on here?

Many thanks.
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
pkbinder
Kissing Moose

Oddometer: 264
Tps

Had similar issues today and the TPS fix did the trick. Mine started acting up after a tip-over in a wind storm. P
Old 07-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Taipan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
It does seem an odd way to reset a TPS. On my old 1150GS you just opened the throttle wide once or twice and rode off. Wonder why this has to do it 5 times with timed intervals?
Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote