User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
mramosc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Mojave Desert Ride Report

So I had to drive from San Jose to Mojave CA last week for work to visit some customers. The things is, I got the most amazing customers one can ask for; motorcycle riders.
They knew I got into motorcycling not so long ago and was eager to learn and try new places, so just before my trip they asked to bring my bike so they can show me around.
Right after we finished the work I went there for, we went to get our bikes and head out to the desert

Below is my bike ready to go.

Well, 30 minutes into the ride, I get a flat, my very first falt. We rode back to one of the guys house and got my first lesson on how to change a tube, which is something I definatelly needed to learn, so I am actually happy it happened there.

By the time we finished fixing the tire, it was already dark, so we all went back home (hotel) to meet the next day.

And here were are again ready to ride.

The terrain is quite different to the part of California where I live; LOTS of sand!
I had never riden in sand, and man it was quite scary at the beggining. Felt like I was going to crash any second..
The picture below shows some sand, but there were places where the sand was a lot depper.

We stop in some semi-ghost town in the middle of nowhere to have lunch. Funny that everytime I stop for lunch when riding, any food takes absolutelly amazing! At the moment I would have sweared they had the best hamburgers ever.... love the effect that getting tired and hungry when riding brings to food.

And that's me next to my WR250R

Another view of the town and my two friends.

So I actually just begun customizing my bike and got some new white plastics for it. I'm getting a bigger tank, so I didn't get white plastics for the side covers. I thought that the bike would look really bad while I still had the blue side covers while everything else is white, but I actually really like color combination. I think that the fact that the blue plastics have stickers in white, makes it look as it was designed that way.

Man, I love my WR250R

Well, I wish I had taken more pictures of all of the amazing sites I saw in the Mojave Desert, but I was just too busy riding and just forgot about it. I think I should jsut get a GoPro or something so it constatly takes pictures for me.

It was really a great trip for me. I am still a newb and this ride was what I think will be a quamtum leap in my learning process. I was terrified of the sand a the beggining; as I was riding I was thinking "Holy sh#t this is scary!" but by the end of the trip I was like "Holy sh#t this is fun!!"

mramosc screwed with this post 11-04-2014 at 01:39 AM
mramosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #2
JettPilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramosc View Post
We stop in some semi-ghost town in the middle of nowhere to have lunch. Funny that everytime I stop for lunch when riding, any food takes absolutelly amazing! At the moment I would have sweared they had the best hamburgers ever.... love the effect that getting tired and hungry when riding brings to food.
NOW I know why riders always post pictures of their food here... My wife and I always thought that was a bit strange....
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
NOW I know why riders always post pictures of their food here... My wife and I always thought that was a bit strange....
That's kind of a tradition.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
vagabondmatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Nice report, Marcelo - and the bike is looking really good! Nice to hear about your first real venture into the sand. And now you got the flat fixing experience under your belt as well!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
booger1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
I've come to the rational, that if I'm riding, the food is always good, at least for me.

Glad your enjoying your new sport.

booger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
The town is Randsburg. A moto friendly place that is usually packed with bikes, buggies and all kinds of other ATV's. Next time your down there head further north to Spangler/Ridgecrest area. No trail restrictions, way less whooped out trails and a whole lot better riding. You can ride there from Randsburg but I suggest staging at Spangler (Google Wagon Wheel or Charlie's Place) so you don't waste fuel transiting the boring whooped out trails.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
tomass
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Ghostbuster2 is right about going north next time have your friends take you to The Husky you will be humbled and loop to Inscription Cyn. I've ate in Randsburg I would rather bring my own, the Asro Burger used to make a good Pattymelt.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 AM   #8
ghostbuster2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomass View Post
Ghostbuster2 is right about going north next time have your friends take you to The Husky you will be humbled and loop to Inscription Cyn. I've ate in Randsburg I would rather bring my own, the Asro Burger used to make a good Pattymelt.
Yes Inscription Canyon is pretty cool but it is in the Barstow BLM district so it is not on the Friends Of Jawbone map. So you will have to get the Barstow BLM map to find it. The FOJ map is a must have for riding out there IMO. FYI if your route to Inscription Canyon takes you across Cuddeback Dry Lake and there has been any rain recently find a detour around it. It may look dry, solid and passable but......it probably isn't.
ghostbuster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
obrianmcc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Nice report and nice bike .....

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote