Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #556
Laconic OP
Anodyne

Oddometer: 16,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
You're hired....when and where would you like me to ship my old 590 to you?
You probably don't want me messing with it (if you value it).

Is the lens sticking? I found how to clean mine from a Google search.

Here's something about the 590;

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/200...al-camera.html
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #557
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laconic View Post
You probably don't want me messing with it (if you value it).

Is the lens sticking? I found how to clean mine from a Google search.

Here's something about the 590;

http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/200...al-camera.html
No the lens works fine....I'm using an SX150 now because the A590 has so much dust inside.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 AM   #558
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Virginia 43 from Buchanan to Eagle Rock, a premiere motorcycle road, IMO

These pics don't really do it justice...
Hey cool! If you had taken a right onto "Bluegrass Trail" at the white house in the far center of this photo (where the highway disappears) after about 20 miles you would have ridden right past my home! It's a good dirt road for about half the distance with NO ONE out there. We take that route often when headed SW from home, sometimes to go to Eagle Rock with the kayaks to float the James. Hwy 43 is one of the older roads in Virginia, following the James. You can find remnants of the old lock systems (I'm sure built by slaves some of the stones are HUGE) when you float along the stretch between Eagle Rock and Snowden (beyond where the river cuts through the Blue Ridge Mountains). We've ridden all the roads in your story and they are glorious!

So, does the camera work now or was that just an experiment in deconstruction?

I saw some dogwoods flowering yesterday on my drive home from work (in the rain). Bring it on!

Doug
Old 04-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #559
Laconic OP
Anodyne

Hey Doug, I'll have to check that road out next time I pass through there. I always like to add to my list; where does it come out?

Yes, the camera is working fine now, just needed to get it cleaned out. That particular camera is susceptible to getting dust in it, apparently.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #560
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Hey Doug, I'll have to check that road out next time I pass through there. I always like to add to my list; where does it come out?

Yes, the camera is working fine now, just needed to get it cleaned out. That particular camera is susceptible to getting dust in it, apparently.
It runs all the way to Effinger, VA (a couple of houses, a closed grade school and firehouse ) where it intersects Hwy 251 (Collierstown Road). From there you can turn right and it's ~7 miles to Lexington on a really great road, or turn left and head for Highway 60 over Big Hill Road or take Turnpike Road (mostly dirt) over North Mountain to Clifton Forge or Goshen, depends on which way you turn at the top of North Mountain. From Turnpike at the top of the mountain you can see my house down in there, about center far right:

It's purty from up there. You're looking SE toward the Blue Ridge on the left horizon, then panning right it's the upper Shenandoah Valley, then the Short Hills, and then Green Hill far right. Our place is just below Green Hill. If you don't mind some dirt roads, there is endless riding with very few people and very little traffic on the Alleghany side of the Valley. Then a bit further west there's West Virginny!

Doug
Old 04-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #561
Laconic OP
Anodyne

So the above pic was taken on North Mountain? I must make a point to get up there; awesome view.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #562
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
So the above pic was taken on North Mountain? I must make a point to get up there; awesome view.
Yup, there's a walking trail that runs along the top of the ridge for several miles and the views are amazing. Here's the view from my bedroom window up at the mountain last fall. It's about 2000 feet higher and the top is less than two miles away, pretty dramatic:

When I moved here from Wyoming I thought I'd be tripping over people everywhere, but there is a lot of fairly wild (and very beautiful) country out here.

Take care, hope to see you out this way sometime!

Doug
Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #563
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,971
Quote:

Every time I go through that area I promise that I'm gonna come back and just fart around for a day or two.

Isnt' July kind of a slow month for rallys? Maybe we should do a Moran Nation Campout in the area
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #564
Laconic OP
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post

Every time I go through that area I promise that I'm gonna come back and just fart around for a day or two.

Isnt' July kind of a slow month for rallys? Maybe we should do a Moran Nation Campout in the area
Must consult Gazetteer when I get home tonight. If we're lucky, it might not even snow that month.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #565
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
Must consult Gazetteer when I get home tonight. If we're lucky, it might not even snow that month.
Check out Lake Robertson, a Lexington City-owned park just over the hill from my house with a nice non-motorized boating/fishing lake (can't swim in it ), really nice campground with showers, and even a huge outdoor swimming pool! It's a great place to camp, and right at the foot of the mountain.

Funny thing - I've got a copy of the Virginia Gazeteer that has a map of Lexington on the cover and our farm is damn near at the center of that page, near Collierstown (Hwy 251 west out of Lex) and Lake Robertson is just over the hill. Is that strange?

Doug
Old 04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #566
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,412
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
Check out Lake Robertson, a Lexington City-owned park just over the hill from my house with a nice non-motorized boating/fishing lake (can't swim in it ), really nice campground with showers, and even a huge outdoor swimming pool! It's a great place to camp, and right at the foot of the mountain.

Funny thing - I've got a copy of the Virginia Gazeteer that has a map of Lexington on the cover and our farm is damn near at the center of that page, near Collierstown (Hwy 251 west out of Lex) and Lake Robertson is just over the hill. Is that strange?

Doug

In!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #567
Laconic OP
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
How do they feel about motorcycles, beer and debauchery?
Old 04-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #568
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Quote:
How do they feel about motorcycles, beer and debauchery?
As long as you aren't disrupting or debauching your fellow campers I'm sure it's OK. There's a large picnic pavillion near the pool and you aren't allowed to have alcohol there, but discreet consumption in your camp probably wouldn't raise any eyebrows. We had a big family get-together a couple years ago and my folks brought their 5th-wheel camper rig out and set it up there and we sat around a fire several evenings swilling beer and no one said anything. I think there's a sign that says no alcohol, but I think it's aimed more at the day-use folks and fishermen than the campers. The place gets pretty popular in summer over the weekend, but there's almost no one there during the week. The sites have water and power and there's an RV dump station on site. There's a bath house in the CG and at the pool. This is a photo of it from several years ago, you can see the lake (my house is ~behind my helmet).

If you guys are serious about this I can gather more info. So long as you aren't whooping it up to the point I can hear you from my house I'll welcome you as temporary neighbors and show you around the area!

I Googled it and this is all I found, not much but it has contact numbers:

http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Pla...ertsonCamping/

Another great spot for camping and general debauchery is Lake Moomaw, northwest of Covington, near Warm Springs. It's a huge lake (>2,500 acres) that you can swim in, has several large campgrounds with showers and potable water (no electricity, IIRC), and STUNNING roads all around, right on the West Virginia border. It's very rural, so not much traffic and very few people there during the week. It's big enough that even on crowded weekends it's not bad. We go there several times a summer to kayak and swim, the water is fantastic, lots of water skiers.

http://www.virginia.org/Listings/Out...dGathrightDam/

Doug
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #569
Boondoggle
Gear Grinder

Oddometer: 13,971
Thanks, Stix. Are you coming up to Laurel Fork this weekend? I gotta work tomorrow, but am heading over sat and camping for one night...
I've been poking a giant bouncy ball with a needle. You feel anything yet? -Blake716
Boondoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #570
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,412
He sounds way too nice for you Morans.