Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #196
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:

Your rights end where my rights begin.

While I would love to agree with your sentiment, this statement is just not true. Not only that but it would be a rule set that would be imossible to adhere to.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #197
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
You didn't follow your own advise when you posted in this thread.
Actually you are wrong once again. I was making fun of some of the guys on this forum that are clucking like a bunch of old ladies, very pathetic.
I'll happily follow my own path and own advice rather than get my knickers in a wad about something that neither you or I can do anything about.
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #198
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,720
There are no older ladies or more pathetic poster's than you. Seriously! Your posts aren't even in the same zip code. Turn off your laptop and take a break, lest somebody alerts your kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Actually you are wrong once again. I was making fun of some of the guys on this forum that are clucking like a bunch of old ladies, very pathetic.
I'll happily follow my own path and own advice rather than get my knickers in a wad about something that neither you or I can do anything about.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #199
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
While I would love to agree with your sentiment, this statement is just not true. Not only that but it would be a rule set that would be imossible to adhere to.

Let's see if we can connect the dots for you.

What "your rights end where my rights begin" means is that the right of Person 1 to do something must
be balanced against the right of Person 2 to not be subjected to whatever Person 1 wants to do.

This is not about a strict interpretation of the law as found in the law books, or about creating new legislation,
it is about common sense. If you want to act like a douche bag, the place where you are most likely to be
able to do that and not meet with objections from other people is a place where there ARE NO other people. As
soon as there are other people, there must and will be rules, whether written or unwritten.

Respecting the rights of others is the very basis of a civil society. Adults know this, children MUST
be taught this, and people who defy this in a severe enough manner are sent to prison.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 07:03 PM
It'sNotTheBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #200
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post
When my wife and I are watching our grandbaby, that has the croup, and has been crying non-stop for two hours and we finally get him to sleep. The the a$$hole neighbor dickhead on his straight pipe Harley wakes him up again at 2am, it is now my business.

He was on the recieving end of my attention which may be one reason why he is moving out.

Sadly, sometimes being nice doesn't achieve the desired effect, so you have to go to Plan B. If the idiot is
moving, sounds like Plan B worked.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #201
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post
He was on the recieving end of my attention which may be one reason why he is moving out.
Good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Funny, it seems to be working for Tucson Jim. But I agree, If you don't say anything to the offending person(s), if you have the chance, then yes you can't do anything about it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #202
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
Respecting the rights of others is the very basis of a civil society. Adults know this, children MUST
be taught this, and people who defy this in a severe enough manner are sent to prison.

Again,that's a great notion but it is not supported by reality. Let me make it more simple as the point seems to be getting missed...You can't please everyone. We even make laws that support the few while punishing the majority (consensus and all that.). Besides we don't live in a civil society.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #203
It'sNotTheBike
Banned

Quote:
Again,that's a great notion but it is not supported by reality. Let me make it more simple as the point seems to be getting missed...You can't please everyone. We even make laws that support the few while punishing the majority (consensus and all that.). Besides we don't live in a civil society.

I understand that everyone cannot be pleased. Believe me, I understand that.

But it is worth making the effort to seek a balance. In the case of loud bikes that might mean
some noise can be made but not as much as the noise-maker wants to make. A compromise on
both sides is the idea.

Regarding what you say about "we don't live in a civil society", in the macro sense I agree with you 100%.
But in the "micro" sense there are some places which are less civil and some places which are more civil. Where
I live I can leave my car keys in the car which is parked outside and leave my house doors unlocked. In
various other areas of the US doing that would be just plain stupid.

It'sNotTheBike screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 07:52 PM
Old 07-02-2012, 04:22 AM   #204
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sNotTheBike View Post
I understand that everyone cannot be pleased. Believe me, I understand that.

But it is worth making the effort to seek a balance. In the case of loud bikes that might mean
some noise can be made but not as much as the noise-maker wants to make. A compromise on
both sides is the idea.

Regarding what you say about "we don't live in a civil society", in the macro sense I agree with you 100%.
But in the "micro" sense there are some places which are less civil and some places which are more civil. Where
I live I can leave my car keys in the car which is parked outside and leave my house doors unlocked. In
various other areas of the US doing that would be just plain stupid.

I get what you are saying and I agree that a compromise would be nice. The thing is I am willing to bet that most of the loud pipers are willing to compromise in most instances. Take the "my neighbor wakes me up" scenario. Many of these so called "little prick children" would be willing to idle into the neighborhood late at night or even coast into the neighborhood if they new that they were actually bugging the shit out of someone or waking children. The thing is that someone needs to let them know that it is bothersome and to do so in a friendly manner. I wonder how many of the people bitching about their loud neighbors have ever taken the time to talk with the offenders ? Where I live I had a few neighbors that like to hear the bass on their stereos at all hours of the night. Of the 4 neighbors that were doing this, 3 apologized and now turn their stereos of after 10:30pm. The dickhead in the house directly behind me decided that he should be able to throw parties until 2 a.m. complete with a loud ass stereo and a pa to shout into. I talked to him a few times and even called the police (which I hated doing) to no avail. I decided to build a very tall sprinkler system that soaks their entire yard/patio area...The timer is set to 10:30pm which is the time of the local noise ordinance. They now party inside after 10pm.

Honestly the last thing I want to here in a Natl Park or wilderness area is a loud man-made noise...Any loud man-made noise. That said I also do not want to listen to people bitching like little biddies instead of simply sacking up and civilly talking to people. If that doesn't work then have an officer enforce existing laws. Making new ones and allowing new legislation does nothing but punish all of us. Usually in some ridiculous fashion as it seems logic and legality are seldom synonymous.

If i left my house unlocked here I wouldn't own my stuff for very long and if my keys were in my truck they would probably use it to haul away the loot.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #205
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Many of these so called "little prick children" would be willing to idle into the neighborhood late at night or even coast into the neighborhood if they new that they were actually bugging the shit out of someone or waking children.

What idiot doesn't know that straight pipes at midnight in a neighborhood isn't a problem?

That said I also do not want to listen to people bitching like little biddies instead of simply sacking up and civilly talking to people.
How are you going to talk to someone who is on a highway/back road/neighborhood street, blocks or miles away and moving? How are you going to stop a large group and discuss the matter?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #206
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
How are you going to talk to someone who is on a highway/back road/neighborhood street, blocks or miles away and moving? How are you going to stop a large group and discuss the matter?
Exactly. Unfortunately, you can hear those things for many miles and locating the source of the sound at 2 am is impossible, and yes you may actually be impacting the lives of little old ladies which some seem to hold in disregard. However, remember that the little old ladies do vote, and they do contact their legislators, and some of them also donate significant sums to said legislators. And there are a lot more of them than motorcyclists. Whether or not we like it, there will be calls for stronger enforcement of noise laws on motorcycles.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #207
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
What idiot doesn't know that straight pipes at midnight in a neighborhood isn't a problem?
Too funny.

Quote:
You don't. If their neighbors, friends, LEO's ,etc spoke to them in a civil manner the "idiots" may grow to understand what they are doing and how it impacts those around them(I don't consider people to be idiots for thinking differently than I do. Seems to be a judgement cast down by arrogant dickweeds but hey, again, not my place to judge.). As well if LEOs simply enforced existing laws this would be a minimized problem.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #208
OaklandStrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
Quote:
The thing is that someone needs to let them know that it is bothersome and to do so in a friendly manner. I wonder how many of the people bitching about their loud neighbors have ever taken the time to talk with the offenders ?
As much as I wish this worked, I don't think it will, except in a few cases. On this thread, you have a bunch of straight pipe FREE-DUMB!!! guys saying "fuck you, I'll do what I want". It's pretty clear that straight pipes are annoying, and also clear that everybody here is saying "louder than stock is OK". But the answer is still, "Fuck you, I'll do what I want".

If I have learned anything from this thread, it's that those guys do not believe in compromise at all. They are 100% fully aware that they piss people off, and have been told many times. In my mind, the only way to get them to change their behavior is vigilante justice (which I don't recommend) or changing the laws. Have you noticed that the straight pipe guys are no longer participating in this discussion? They all said "I'm keeping them, I don't care about you" and left. The sane majority really doesn't have many options.

I'm at the point where I am willing to give up all aftermarket exhaust systems if it's the only way to enforce a straight pipes law.

The "I ride quietly in my neighborhood" argument works great, as long as you never leave your neighborhood.
OaklandStrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #209
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Too funny.

You don't. If their neighbors, friends, LEO's ,etc spoke to them in a civil manner the "idiots" may grow to understand what they are doing and how it impacts those around them(I don't consider people to be idiots for thinking differently than I do. Seems to be a judgement cast down by arrogant dickweeds but hey, again, not my place to judge.). As well if LEOs simply enforced existing laws this would be a minimized problem.
The problem is you don't always even see them, much less know who they are or where they live. I live a mile West of a North-South highway and can hear them plain as day. Can't see them, and could never catch them.
I agree, LEO's need to enforce existing laws then maybe, I repeat maybe, the situation will improve.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #210
Wuwei
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Have the loud pipes folks all lost their hearing? I came up behind a string of hogs out doing their thing parading along at 5-10 under the limit through a beautiful windy road that cuts through several state parks and I found the sound pretty annoying. With their beany helmets on and I suspect no ear plugs the sound in the midst of the group must be deafening--at least it was for me behind them with a full-coverage helmet on and ear plugs! At the first opportunity I passed the string and proceeded at my own pace and without the noise.