User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Motorcycle purchase and or rental in Ireland/Europe

I'm not sure if this should be in vendors but, I'll start here anyway.
As some of you may know, I have been buying bikes here in SF for the past few years for travelers arriving from overseas, hosting them at my house here and helping them set their bikes up, offering advice and basically being a place to go when you get off the plane, much better than a hotel.

On a recent trip home to Ireland, I was informed that my return to the "home country" is necessary due to an aging uncle who is unable to operate his ranch anymore. I "was volunteered" to come back and look after him and the ranch.
This is a painful move, especially as I have become accustomed to the great lifestyle here in SF but maybe is is beginning another chapter in life.
This city and it's beautiful surroundings got me into adventure motorcycling and after a few years I was able to brag that Alaska and Panama were crossed off my list of places to go, as well as numerous other amazing places in the USA.

My plan when I go back is to get into organic grass fed beef along with some vegetables to supply to the nearby city of Cork and also the port town of Kinsale. A simple and humble lifestyle. My motorcycle trips will continue, but now I'll be looking at Europe and Africa as potential destinations.

As well as the farming operation, I hope to be as valuable to Americans in Europe as I was to Europeans in the USA when it comes to motorcycle touring.
Buying/selling/renting/advice/repair/bike storage/accommodation, do not hesitate to contact me. I hopefully will be up and running next summer to help anybody.
Again this a non profit operation. My love of adventure, motorcycles and helping people see my home country is payment enough.
Pass this on to anybody that is considering touring Europe next summer.

WW.

Thank you

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 03:08 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,299
Good luck with the new venture. I'll look you up on my next UK adventure.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
I'll miss you

Hey Wheatwacker, I hope you guys ride by on Tuesday from your Shasta trip. Beer and BBQ are on me, put the bikes in my garage and we'll have a good time.

Your help getting a good Varadero at a good price in Ireland, the registration, and getting it set up the way I want it was invaluable. You know the number - call me for the BBQ!

In a coupla weeks I'll be having a few pints with Elton for ya'!
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
I'll certainly keep you in mind ww. I've had some great times in the Alps, perhaps I should look your way for the next trip.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
jitubisht
Beaster

Oddometer: 30
That's a great gesture, I will be getting in touch for sure :)
jitubisht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
Yappei
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I Live in Costa Rica want to ride through Italy - need bike.

Sounds like you have had a great adventure just helping people in S.F. I'm sure you will continue with the experiences in Europe. My wife and I are looking to ride Italy and a couple of the surrounding countries. I ride a Triumph Tiger 955i and just ordered the Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer (should arrive here in Costa Rica this month). In my single days I had a Yamaha FJR 1300 based in Faro, Portugal and rode Portugal, Spain, France and Germany many times on various business trips to the region but this was a long time ag.

Does anyone have suggestions about how I can go about buying a bike in Italy or maybe in one of the surrounding countries. I'm thinking buy one then selling it after the trip. Obviously rental is another option if the bike is reliable. Is it possible for a U.S. citizen to buy a bike in Italy or one of the surrounding countries?

Does anyone of ride suggestions through Italy? Favorite places to stay, good adventures, good roads (my wife will be with me).

Thanks, Look forward to the comments.

Yappei
Yappei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

My plan there is to concentrate on a sell and buy back deals.
I'll sell you a bike, get it in your name, help with green card insurance and buy it back when your done.
The longer you stay in Europe, the cheaper it will work out.

WW
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
MarcoBiko
n00b

Oddometer: 1
3 Months and a bike in Europe

Hi wheatwacker,

This operation you intend to run seems too good to be true. I'm flying into London on August 16, 2012 and have been searching for a way to buy a bike over there without the nightmare hassle of insurance and registration. I'm from Calgary, Canada. I just quit my engineering job and decided I need to travel while I'm still young. My budget affords me around $2000 CAD so...like $1400 Euro or so. I do all my own wrenching on my Suzuki 04 GSXR 750 so the bike doesn't need to be in mint condition. I could care less about superficial damage so long as the engine is solid. Anyway, please get back to me as soon as you can to see if we can work out a deal. I'm so stoked that there's a dude out there like yourself doing this. Cheers.

Marcus
MarcoBiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoBiko View Post
Hi wheatwacker,

This operation you intend to run seems too good to be true. I'm flying into London on August 16, 2012 and have been searching for a way to buy a bike over there without the nightmare hassle of insurance and registration. I'm from Calgary, Canada. I just quit my engineering job and decided I need to travel while I'm still young. My budget affords me around $2000 CAD so...like $1400 Euro or so. I do all my own wrenching on my Suzuki 04 GSXR 750 so the bike doesn't need to be in mint condition. I could care less about superficial damage so long as the engine is solid. Anyway, please get back to me as soon as you can to see if we can work out a deal. I'm so stoked that there's a dude out there like yourself doing this. Cheers.

Marcus
Hell yeah - I second Marcus on this one. I'll be landing in London around 3 weeks before the IOMTT next year, and I want to buy a sportsbike to ride around Europe on. I do all my own work on all my bikes (88 GSXR 750J, 88 Honda Bros 650, 04 CBR600RR) and I'm the same. Don't care about pristine cosmetics, I want something mechanically sound with a fresh set of decent tyres on it. I'm thinking either CBR1000RR, K6/7/8 GSXR 750, or Crossplane R1. Was toying with the idea of a Ducati 748 (hey... come on, I'm in Europe, I am tempted to tour around Europe on one of the sexiest bits of motorcycling kit. But like all the sexiest things, there's always a lot of drama! Riding an unreliable, high-maintenance 'bitch' might be a good way to waste all my holiday money...)

I'm leaning towards a K6/7 GSXR 750 as, I've got an Ohlins TTX36 rear shock for a K7 gixxer lying around that hasn't sold yet.
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:00 AM   #10
Donmanolo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappei View Post

Does anyone have suggestions about how I can go about buying a bike in Italy or maybe in one of the surrounding countries. I'm thinking buy one then selling it after the trip. Obviously rental is another option if the bike is reliable. Is it possible for a U.S. citizen to buy a bike in Italy or one of the surrounding countries?

Yappei
My full support to wheatwhacker.....sounds like a great gesture in giving you folks from over there an easy way to get hold of a hassle-free bike,

Unfortunately buying a bike down here in Italy (no idea about the surrounding countries) is far from hassle-free. Unless you can find a dealer willing to offer a buy back scheme disguised as a long term rental, then you need to have an italian residence permit before you can actually buy a vehicle here.

It is however possible to buy a bike in Germany as a non-resident and put export plates on it for up to a year, allowing you to ride it wherever you want in that time, and even sell it in germany or wherever else.

Otherwise I think I'd just go with Wheatwhacker, even including the cost of getting a bike from ireland across to mainland europe it would still probably work out cheaper than buying here.

Donmanolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Thanks for the support guys.
So I have been doing some more thinking about the whole project.

As much as you would all like to buy whatever bike you want, ride it all over Europe and then expect me to buy it back, I will end up with a garage full of motorcycles that I have no use for. If, for example, you want to ride a GS1200 on your epic Euro trip, it's better you go to the rental companies that can cater for that kind of customer.
The customer I am after is the person who want's to see Europe on a reliable motorcycle. I cannot afford to have a stock of BMW's that are expensive to service and purchase as well as the dreaded phone call from Spain that the bike is broken down and we need a ride back.

I was originally going to go with Suzuki Vstroms but after another ADV'er here found a Honda Varadero I am now convinced this is the bike to tour Europe on.

The bike is bulletproof, has a nice upright riding position, can easily carry a passenger, plenty of power and looks great.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Varadero

As a rough guide, I will sell these bikes for aprox 3-4K Euro's and buy them back at an agreed price. I figure your looking at $50/day, cheaper the longer you keep it.
Each bike will be fully serviced and ready to go as soon as you land in Ireland. The ferry to either England, Scotland or France, are only hours from my home.
Here is an example of a nice 2 week Euro tour.

http://goo.gl/maps/YcC1

There are many more options. Go straight to France from Cork, but, what Euro trip is complete without a trip to London.

As soon as you buy the bike, you are on your own. I will try and go through the bike as much as possible before you arrive and if you have any thoughts as to what would make it better, I'm all ears.
I am open to other bikes but, for now I want to keep it simple and cheap.

I hope to be up and running in the Spring of next year. I will also have accommodation available. If you decide you want to keep the bike and store it at my place or anywhere else, that's fine, we can work something out.

There are options here and if we all work together, we can make this work.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Platinumgrit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Thanks for the support guys.
So I have been doing some more thinking about the whole project.

As much as you would all like to buy whatever bike you want, ride it all over Europe and then expect me to buy it back ... There are options here and if we all work together, we can make this work.
Speaking for myself only, all I need is a little help buying the bike. I won't be asking you to buy it back ;-)

Also, you might be interested in this stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpU5oBelQJs

I've used it in all my bikes and cars for the last 8, 10 years? It's brilliant. I do all my own engine rebuilds, and when I tore down my drift car (92 Silvia S13) after blowing it's head gasket for the umpteenth time thrashing it's nuts off, I was impressed by the lack of mechanical wear.

My Honda Bros made noticeably less noise after I threw it in, and my 04 CBR600RR, after a good thrashing (Roil is heat-activated) literally started singing. It revved out so freely and with so little noise, I could hardly believe it. Also, a mate started to get a groaning sound from his 94 Toyota Celica's gearbox last year, and after putting this stuff in and taking it for a decent drive, the groaning noise has stopped and the notchiness changing into 2nd gear has gone as well. The gearbox is still not in great shape, but it's obviously making less friction than it was before the roil was added.

If you're going to be selling & buying back machinery, it's worth looking into. You should be able to find a Neways distributor in Ireland near you. I used to be one, but after buying a 19L drum I haven't needed to order any in ages so my membership has lapsed.
Platinumgrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinumgrit View Post
Speaking for myself only, all I need is a little help buying the bike. I won't be asking you to buy it back ;-)
Helping you buy a bike and getting it set up for you is not a problem. Let me know what you want and I'll make it happen. I should state that I'm not interested in buying all the bikes back. It's an option if your not intending to return. I will have fully insulated storage for motorcycles so, if your returning to Europe on an annual basis, it makes WAY more sense to keep the bike in storage.
I will broker a deal on a used bike here for you.
I will buy back the same bike, if it's one I think I can resell, for an agreed price.
I will store any amount of bikes in a secure, insulated barn.

You guys are the bosses here. You tell me what you want and I will make it happen, no problem. You see a bike you want in the classifieds, I will check the bike over, pick it up, prep it to your specs for the trip and have it ready when you arrive. The bike will be in YOUR name, green card insurance is only $100/month, while you are riding it.
I'm getting some serious inquiries here already and the first client is headed to Ireland this Saturday to pick up his bike.

I repeat, I am here to provide a service, not make a profit. I have helped out umpteen travelers traveling from all over the world coming to the USA, working from a rented house with a small garage. Now, I have room and, I'm on the edge of Europe so, it's time for the Euro adventure.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 07-16-2012 at 03:48 PM
Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by roohunt View Post
Hi Weetwacker
This is a service i have been searching for a while now, great .my plan is two months in europe next year July, august, store the bike at your place or my (sis in sweeden) and return to another year of riding . So it will be orginise purchace of bike and panniers ,insurance rego etc.
Ride 650 single's here in Austraila (ktm adventure) ,would like to sorce something similar in europe.
Thank you
rod
Perfect. You are the exact customer that I cater for.
First thing is decide on a bike so, let me know what tickles your interest. For budget solo traveling, the Africa Twin (750cc) can be picked up pretty cheap, with boxes.
You pick the bike, I will pick it up and have it ready for you or I can just store it and you can prep it yourself.
For 2 up riding, there are other choices depending on your preferences and budget.
Like I said before, green card insurance is available for $100/mth and reg is approx $40/year.. The bike "has" to be in your name, hence, purchasing the bike is a better option than renting it.

Example of the current line up of Africa Twins for sale.
http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbik...win?source=all

Again I repeat, this is a voluntary job. I only charge for my expenses and a small charge for storage and pick up.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 08-03-2012 at 08:32 AM
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
grumpyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
interesting service

waiting to hear from you
today or monday would be nice
rob from oakland
grumpyman is offline   Reply With Quote