:)

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,010
Thumb Thanks! Good buy in Irleand

We were considering shipping our 1150GS GS to Europe or renting a bike there for 2000+ miles and 3+ weeks. We didn't want to send the GS by sea ($1200+each way) because it takes too long - we'd be without the bike for at least 35 days each side of the Euro tour. We could spend $4000+ for round trip air freight out of Vancouver, but we're in CA, so that meant more cost just getting to and from Vancouver -- add another $800-1000. Rental was more expensive than shipping. What about buying a bike over there?

I was searching for solutions on ADV and Horizons Unlimited when Wheatwacker came online on ADV with some suggestions on how to buy a bike in Ireland. I was very skeptical, but it has worked out better than expected.

Wheatwacker helped me locate a good deal online for a 58,000 mile 03 Honda Varadero XL1000V near Cork, Ireland. His moto mechanic buddy near Cork did the pre-buy inspection and provided me some recommendations on what the bike would need: new rear tire and rear brake pads. Finding a bike near Cork was crucial so he could easily check it over before the purchase. That part was easy - there a lot of bikes for sale all over Ireland at good prices.

With some trepidation and nightmares featuring 1) my money going overeseas 2) my wife and me arriving to find no bike or perhaps a pig of a bike, 3) no mechanic, 4) the seller long gone, 5) no recourse for my money --- I went ahead with the purchase.

So now with Wheat's assistance, we have the bike and it's registered in my name in Ireland. Wheat's mechanic buddy in Kinsale changed both tires (I wanted to have good rubber on both ends), installed rear pads, Givi crash bars and suspension lowering kit, test drove the bike some more and told me it was ready to go. I bought the bars and suspension kit online out of the UK and had them sent to him for installation.

The bike came with awesome Hepco & Becker side cases and top case, so we just needed to pack with those cases in mind for our trip.

Just like Wheat and his friend promised, the bike really was ready to go when we got there. His friend delivered the bike to me, I paid him for the tires and his labor, he showed us around, we had a few pints of Guiness and made new friends.

My wife and I rode it two-up in Ireland (under-appreciated place - Ireland), across the UK, the length of France and into Spain, then to Andorra and up to Paris. All without a glitch. The bike's now stored with a friend in Paris until our next trip. Wheat offered storage back in Cork, but we have other plans farther from Ireland away for next year.

Wheat's moved back to Ireland now and he's sending me the reg papers for next year. He did a great job and we saved a ton of money vs. shipping our GS or renting a bike. He has offered to buy the Vara from us, and maybe after next year's trip we'll do that.

I got Green Card insurance from Doug and Polly at www.motosapiens.org/ in Bulgaria for 60 euro/29days. That's another good place to ride: Bulgaria. We did it last year and loved it. We plan to go back next Spring on the Vara.

The whole deal has been unbelievably easy because a couple of Irishmen want to help other riders.
Thanks Wheatwacker!

Ken Fritz screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 11:27 AM
Ken Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #18
WIBO
Will it buff out?

Oddometer: 3,642
All that 'cuz it was a Honda and you were dealing with us Irish dudes LOL

:)

Me: I don't give a fuck what you think.
WIBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:07 PM   #19
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb right!

Yeah - all that because it was an Irishman and a Honda.
Re: Honda vs GS:
The Honda is better than the GS in many ways, but I like the ride/suspension on the GS much more. For the money, that Vara is tough to beat. Chain lube is a big mess and a real pain when travelling, but some have had FD problems, too, so it's maybe a wash on that score. The Honda's headlight is so far superior to the GS headlight, there's no contest. Engine heat off the Honda is more than the GS, especially in slow traffic or stopped in traffic. Those radiators really keep the tank and the rider HOT. I was hotter at 90F on the Honda than on the GS at over 100F. The GS gets better fuel mileage and hauls a load better, too. But the price is sure good on the Honda. The stock Honda seat is more comfortable than the stock GS seat. The Honda is really ugly, even when compared to a GS. For a good ride for a month at time, the Vara is great. For long rides, it's great. But it's not a GS.

The Pyrenees are a rider's paradise. We'll go back again. Fuel in Andorra was nice at .30 euro/liter less than anywhere else we went.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #20
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,920
Thanks for the glowing ref Ken.
I am back here in the homeland now, getting set up slowly but surely.
If any of you are thinking about the same thing as Ken did, don't hesitate to contact me. Bikes will be easy to buy in a few months as winter is coming in.

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 08-20-2012 at 05:01 PM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:12 AM   #21
aquamax
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
Thanks for the glowing ref Ken.
I am back here in the homeland now, getting set up slowly but surely.
If any of you are thinking about the same thing as Ken did, don't hesitate to contact me. Bikes will be easy to buy in a few months as winter is coming in.
Hello Wheatwhacker,
bad for me, that you´re back in Ireland now, because I ´m looking for a service you´re offered in SF for next year...
I sent you an email a few days ago because you told me, you have a friend in SF, which probably can help me.
It would be great, when this works.
Best regards to Cork from Innsbruck
Christian

PS: When someone here in this forum needs help in all cases of biking in Austria (buy, rent, places to ride and see, accomondation, etc.) don´t hesitate to contact me
aquamax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #22
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Thumb Austria next year

I'll save your contact info for Austria next year on my Irish Vara en route Bulgaria and Romania.

I'm in Scaramento, about 100 miles from San Francisco. What do you need in CA?
Old 11-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #23
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Update.
It's almost November here, my first in Ireland in a long time.
Weather there is in the 40's and dips below freezing at night. Still possible to ride but, only for a few hours in the middle of the day. It's actually safer this time of year to ride in the rain, as the roads seem to grip better in pouring rain than the coastal drizzle we get sometimes and also the danger of black ice on "crisp mornings". We also have a lot of leaf cover roads when you get into the small roads.

I have built my first shed for storing bikes and presently have my own three and a friends inside.
I am now in the planning stages of building a 40x80 barn for a workshop and also will be able to store even more bikes :)

For those of you in the planning stages of a Euro trip here is my advice.
Buy your bike here. There are great deals to be got and the asking prices are usually well above the "bottom line" price.
Importing a bike to store here can be done but the bike has to be shipped back to the home country to sell it, thus making it worthless here unless you pay a lot of taxes or sell it to another US resident who can register it back in the US. Buying an Irish bike give you the option of selling/trading it locally.

So far, the people I have dealt with from the US had no problem buying or insuring the bikes. They used my address and as soon as proof of ownership was established, green card insurance was easily obtained.

Here is how I'm operating this for now.
A. You find a bike here http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbik...-sale/Ireland/

B. You contact me and tell me what you want to buy. I am in Cork so please keep it local, ie Munster region.

C. As soon as you spot something you like, you can wire me a deposit. I will then purchase the bike for you with my own cash. Should you fail to turn up, I will sell the bike and return your deposit minus my gas money and bank charges.

D. I will register the bike in your name, send you on a copy of the reg and then you can get insurance. Some insurers require the original reg for cover, so I can mail it direct if necessary.

If you want to resell the bike, I can buy or help sell it, depending on my situation at the time.
If you want to store it, I have plenty of storage available.

I an not a "for profit" business. I am tied up here with a farm so helping you guys is my escape and planning your trip keeps me in travel mode till my own trip time comes around again.
I am building a small campground with waterproof shelters, so camping is available and hopefully soon I'll have my house built. Right now I have a single wide on the farm while the plans are being laid out for my new home. The single wide will then be available for travelers or people who want to experience farm life for a few weeks as well as seeing the sights around Ireland.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM   #24
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
hey anyone whos looking to get a bike off wheatwhacker, donedeal aint bad but check ebay.ie, biketrader.ie and gumtree as well!

anyone who needs help with anything in northern ireland feel free to hit me up for some advice, it would be nice to be a useful member of the adv community. im not about to go buying bikes for people but i could store one, help procure stuff up north, or give advice about anything you may want to know regarding northern ireland in general and any UK laws re- bikes. (ni is part of the uk and has the same laws unlike the republic where wheatwhacker lives.)

Wheatwhacker hows it going just stumbled randomly on this thread, cool service you offer. If you need a northern connection for any help with anything give me a shout! It would be cool to meet someone off ADVRider as everyone seems to be in far off countries lol, if you are heading to any road races or anything next year feel free to gimme a shout for a ride!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #25
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post

Wheatwhacker hows it going just stumbled randomly on this thread, cool service you offer. If you need a northern connection for any help with anything give me a shout! It would be cool to meet someone off ADVRider as everyone seems to be in far off countries lol, if you are heading to any road races or anything next year feel free to gimme a shout for a ride!
I am looking for seed potatoes and your in the right place to locate some :)
Old 12-01-2012, 05:17 AM   #26
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
interesting request lol i was thinking more bike stuff!
Old 12-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #27
Ken Fritz
Beastly Adventurer

Talking spuds

He says puh tay toes, you say puh tah toes. If I were in N Ireland, I'd drive them to Kinsale myself for a great weekend.
If a Hepco & Becker 35 liter Alu Standard case holds 30 potatoes, how many can you carry witih that 35 L, a 41L and a 35L topcase?

Hi Wheatwhacker.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #28
recharge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks

This is a great thing you are doing. Hope it all works out for everyone.
I'm trying to decide to rent or buy for spain next summer.

As plans firm up I'll PM you.

Thanks Richard
recharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #29
white_bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Bike in EU

Hi there-
I am looking for an inexpensive, used DR650 or KLR650. If a DR, electric start, hopefully it would have racks on the back and a windshield. If a KLR, maybe the doohicky thingy. These are inexpensive bikes, so they wouldn't break a bank. The bike would not be for off-road, although that definition may fit some "Russian roads". Good tires are a must for a 14-15K kilometer trip.

I want to ride across Russia. Cork is a long way from my start point, but sometimes things just work that way. The bike may or may not get back to Cork, hopefully yes.

These bikes are smaller and lighter than some mentioned here - even a DR400 would do. What do you think of this idea? Please PM me and I will reply email. (PM sent)
wb
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
white_bear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
seed potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
I am looking for seed potatoes and your in the right place to locate some :)
I am in SE Idaho - Famous Potatoes on the license plate:

Boy, there are plenty here, but the commute is a killer...
wb
white_bear is offline   Reply With Quote