Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > EMEA
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #31
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 665
I might be interested in buying a Yamaha V-Star 250. I could store it with relatives in Cork, but would need to have it prepped before I use it in July each year.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:15 AM   #32
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyr View Post
I might be interested in buying a Yamaha V-Star 250. I could store it with relatives in Cork, but would need to have it prepped before I use it in July each year.
If you have relatives in Cork you can use their address to register the bike.
It takes 2-3 weeks for the paperwork to come back once someone has submitted the old title with the change of ownership section filled in. You do not need to be present in the country for this to happen. There is NO sales tax in a used vehicle transaction, so don't worry about the cost there.
As soon as the bike is in your name, green card insurance is easily obtainable for approx US$100/month. They will insist on the bike being "in your name" before they issue insurance.
If you find a bike that you like, let me know and I will arrange payment, pick up and getting the paperwork sorted. I am urging people to buy Suzuki Vstrom 650's as they are very reliable, cheap to buy, easy to ride and I can usually buy them back for resale again pretty easily.
If you plan on keeping the bike here and storing it, well, I guess any bike will do.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #33
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_bear View Post
I am in SE Idaho - Famous Potatoes on the license plate:

Boy, there are plenty here, but the commute is a killer...
wb
I found some, thanks anyway :) I have to drive 6 hours to get them though.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #34
Hollyr
Vesterislendingur

Oddometer: 665
Thanks, but I need a ladder to get on a V-Strom. I ride a 650 V-Star in N. America and don't want to pay too much for something I would only ride once a year, so the 250 would work for riding in Europe. Hate going back to a chain, but could probably live with it for a short time.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #35
Riceburner63
Starting Over

Oddometer: 20
This is amazing Wheat! Do you know if it's the same in England? All you need is a local address to register the bike to and you can get it in your own name? ...and then insurance.
Riceburner63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #36
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner63 View Post
This is amazing Wheat! Do you know if it's the same in England? All you need is a local address to register the bike to and you can get it in your own name? ...and then insurance.
I'm not sure about England to be honest. Ireland is not far away from England anyway. From what I gather, you have to put the bike through a vehicle inspection, or an "MOT" every year, where in Ireland, you can let the bike sit unregistered for years, get a stamp from the cops to say it was not being used and re register it when you need to.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:41 AM   #37
Mike1234
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatwhacker View Post
If you have relatives in Cork you can use their address to register the bike.
It takes 2-3 weeks for the paperwork to come back once someone has submitted the old title with the change of ownership section filled in. You do not need to be present in the country for this to happen. There is NO sales tax in a used vehicle transaction, so don't worry about the cost there.
As soon as the bike is in your name, green card insurance is easily obtainable for approx US$100/month. They will insist on the bike being "in your name" before they issue insurance.
If you find a bike that you like, let me know and I will arrange payment, pick up and getting the paperwork sorted. I am urging people to buy Suzuki Vstrom 650's as they are very reliable, cheap to buy, easy to ride and I can usually buy them back for resale again pretty easily.
If you plan on keeping the bike here and storing it, well, I guess any bike will do.
Hi

have you already set up the renting aspect of your business? If so, what models and prices do you have?
I am very keen on renting and touring for a few weeks in summer next year; whether I start in Germany and ride Germany and another or travel Ireland and maybe ferry to Scotland and then down to Dover - either will work as long as the weather's good.

I would be coming with an international license.

Thanks

Mike
Mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #38
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
Hi

have you already set up the renting aspect of your business? If so, what models and prices do you have?
I am very keen on renting and touring for a few weeks in summer next year; whether I start in Germany and ride Germany and another or travel Ireland and maybe ferry to Scotland and then down to Dover - either will work as long as the weather's good.

I would be coming with an international license.

Thanks

Mike
Hey Mike.
I'm not in the renting business.
What I am offering is a way for you to buy a bike here, ride it and either store it here or sell it when your done. Rental costs here are in excess of 100 euro/day, a very expensive but, convenient option.
So for example, you want to potter around Europe for a month, I can get you on a nice 2-3K euro bike and, after your trip you have the option of selling it for what you paid or a little less. If your lucky, you may even have a free rental.
Rental companies have big overheads and I'm sure stocking new bikes, renting a store/yard, paying staff, etc is an expensive affair. You are paying for the convenience and the reliability of a new bike, essential if you only have a week to tour.
My idea of touring is potter around, maybe stay somewhere nice for a few days and park the bike. Not very relaxing if bike rental is costing 100 euro/day.
If you want to go my route, you have to be prepared to trust me with your money, your bike and my judgement. You pick the bike you want, I will check it out, pick it up, store it and prep it.

Here is an example of 2 nice older Jap bikes.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4068018
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3266826
Old 12-23-2012, 04:22 AM   #39
Mike1234
Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Mike.
I'm not in the renting business.
What I am offering is a way for you to buy a bike here, ride it and either store it here or sell it when your done. Rental costs here are in excess of 100 euro/day, a very expensive but, convenient option.
So for example, you want to potter around Europe for a month, I can get you on a nice 2-3K euro bike and, after your trip you have the option of selling it for what you paid or a little less. If your lucky, you may even have a free rental.
Rental companies have big overheads and I'm sure stocking new bikes, renting a store/yard, paying staff, etc is an expensive affair. You are paying for the convenience and the reliability of a new bike, essential if you only have a week to tour.
My idea of touring is potter around, maybe stay somewhere nice for a few days and park the bike. Not very relaxing if bike rental is costing 100 euro/day.
If you want to go my route, you have to be prepared to trust me with your money, your bike and my judgement. You pick the bike you want, I will check it out, pick it up, store it and prep it.

Here is an example of 2 nice older Jap bikes.

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4068018
http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/3266826
WW, Thank you for elaborating; unfortunately I won't be able to get more than a week, max 10 days away from life to do this but your service does make the entire purchasing etc, more appealing. I can't access the links you posted, perhaps they're only accessible form Ireland.

Is it a mission to take an IE registered bike across the pond and onto the rest of EU?

Thanks

Mike
Old 12-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #40
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
WW, Thank you for elaborating; unfortunately I won't be able to get more than a week, max 10 days away from life to do this but your service does make the entire purchasing etc, more appealing. I can't access the links you posted, perhaps they're only accessible form Ireland.

Is it a mission to take an IE registered bike across the pond and onto the rest of EU?

Thanks

Mike
Taking an IE reg bike anywhere in Europe is not a problem. You will also get a lot friendlier reaction from people as they feel we like to party more. It is clear where the bike is from on the license plate.
www.donedeal.ie should be available from anywhere in the world

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 11:06 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #41
Mike1234
Adventurer

Quote:
Taking an IE reg bike anywhere in Europe is not a problem. You will also get a lot friendlier reaction from people as they feel we like to party more. It is clear where the bike is from on the license plate.
www.donedeal.ie should be available from anywhere in the world
Thanks. Yes, i can access the site directly, but not from your links above- my guess it it requires the matching cookies - no matter, i had a look around, thanks!

Miek
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #42
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 798
another pm sent....

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #43
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
I'm not sure about England to be honest. Ireland is not far away from England anyway. From what I gather, you have to put the bike through a vehicle inspection, or an "MOT" every year, where in Ireland, you can let the bike sit unregistered for years, get a stamp from the cops to say it was not being used and re register it when you need to.
Sup.

In the UK (including Northern Ireland) you must have a UK/NI address at which you can register the bike to yourself.

You must pay road tax yearly ( or if the bike is over 600cc you can pay it 6-monthly) and put the bike through an inspection called a MOT which lasts for 1 year from the date of the inspection.

Neither of these things are expensive. The mot is £22 and the tax is CC-based from £15 a year for <125cc up to about £95 for 650+cc.

If you are storing the bike then you can put in a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) form. You just send it off in the post and an acknowledgement comes back. This does not cost anything.

You MUST have the bike either taxed or on SORN. So if you have the bike taxed for 1 year, then halfway through that year you want to put it in storage, you can put it on sorn then and claim half a years tax payment back. Alternatively you can wait until the tax runs out and SORN it from the date of the tax running out.

If there is an un-accounted for period where the bike is neither taxed nor SORNed they will charge you the price of tax for that period and possibly a fine.

The SORN must be renewed yearly, unless you want to tax the bike again. Basically even though it is free they will send you a form yearly pretty much saying "Do you want to re-sorn the bike or tax it?" and if you want to keep it on sorn you fill it in and post it back.

You can re-tax and stick the bike back on the road any time during the sorn period.

When you SORN the bike it does not affect the MOT. If you SORN the bike with 6 months MOT left then it will just run on until it expires. If a SORNed vehicles MOT has not expired then all you gotta do is tax it to get back on road. If the MOT has expired then obviously you must MOT it and Tax it to get back on road.

If anyone has any questions about UK stuff or Northern Ireland im happy to help and also i can store bikes etc.

Wheatwhacker, do bikes not have the NCT every two years down south? I think our MOT is the same deal but yearly. Yours might be more strict. A bike mot in the north is a 5 minute job. They check the lights tyres and chain and maybe grab some stuff like the muffler to make sure it is securely attached. Then wheel it along with engine off and pull the brakes to see they work. Tbh if the bike looks well kept its more like just check the lights and look at the tyres then send you on lol.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 AM   #44
wheatwhacker OP
It's raining here

Just picked up this beauty for inmate "rockydog" for his 2/3 month Euro tour summer 2013.
Purchase and pick up cost US$2000
Estimated prep work with tires and new chain/sprocket approx $500.
Estimated selling price, $1,500 maybe more.

Insurance @ 100/month................................ $200,
Total cost.............................................. .......$2,700.
Sale price............................................. ........$1,500

Actual cost.............................................. .....$1,200

Cost/day inc insurance (60 days)........................$20

wheatwhacker screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 07:12 AM
wheatwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #45
Discojon75
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:

Just picked up this beauty for inmate "rockydog" for his 2/3 month Euro tour summer 2013.
Purchase and pick up cost US$2000
Estimated prep work with tires and new chain/sprocket approx $500.
Estimated selling price, $1,500 maybe more.

Insurance @ 100/month................................ $200,
Total cost.............................................. .......$2,700.
Sale price............................................. ........$1,500

Actual cost.............................................. .....$1,200

Cost/day inc insurance (60 days)........................$20
Beautiful bike.. when's his tour? and what are his destinations?
Discojon75 is offline   Reply With Quote