Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #16
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Go buy a shop manual and start reading,Just try to make it run, then move under its own power. Perform a tune up and service as shown by the manual, This will let you see all the components and adjust them accordingly. Dont buy any more parts than you have to until you know the condition of the engine. Registration and or title can be a gamebreaker, make sure you know what you are up against with them. Dont be afraid to scrap it if you have to, Remember" the next on is the best one".Have fun with it and dont panic. emti
emti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
I have a plan...but right now it's just that. And we know how the best laid plans go. Oh well. I'm not ordering anything for it until I get it torn down. That Hondatwins site is just a gem though. With a bike this small, can I ride it on dirt roads and 2 tracks with some success? Or is it road only?
cb200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #18
emti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
You can ride it anywhere you want, You will find out its/your limitations, then change things if you want or need to.If I can ride a Vstrom on dirt roads and trails, I bet a Honda 200 can go there too. Any bike is an adventure bike.emti
emti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sweet, thanks!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
@Squish the more and more I'm thinking about this, the more I'm thinking I had better find a different project. I could probably buy this thing for $50 and turn around and part it out to make more. That might be a better bet anyway...
Ok. For 50 with a clean title you can get your money back by selling parts. If you have the room a spare bike is pretty decent to have around.

The cb200 is a great first bike. But as a restoration project it's not ideal. Since it will cost you a lot but it won't be worth that much when its done.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New issue that I didn't anticipate. My wife is suggesting I think about getting a bike with a larger displacement. The budget is still the same (hence my appeal in the classifieds section). Could anyone throw out suggestions on a bike with larger displacement, that still has parts readily available? Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,539

Not true, I don't have a title for my 200, and thanks to the state of Vermont i'm on the road.

Rode mine to florida and back, I had more in gasoline in a week than i have invested in the entire bike.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
New issue that I didn't anticipate. My wife is suggesting I think about getting a bike with a larger displacement. The budget is still the same (hence my appeal in the classifieds section). Could anyone throw out suggestions on a bike with larger displacement, that still has parts readily available? Thanks!
If you stick with the big names you can pretty much get parts for any bikes without concern. Thanks to ebay and the internet even rare bikes are pretty easy to find parts for. As far as size how big do you want and what do you want to use it for? Off the top of my head I would think on a CL350. You seem to like older bikes, it's a honda twin, works great for dirt roads, and can just handle freeways without to much concern. There are tons of other great bikes that are hugely popular but without more info on what you want you'll just have people throwing out their favs not finding out what might be best for you.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #24
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I don't know really what I want. I know that I like the CB/CL bikes due to their seemingly simple build, durability and looks. What I don't know is what I want to do with it. I'm not likely to go out and do a bunch of freeway miles, just a bunch of windy backroads. A friend of mine wants to go on a multi day trip so I'd like it to do that. I also want to explore fire roads, 2 tracks and dirt roads. No single track or trails though. My wife wants to ride on the back occasionally as well. I have been interested lately in the CB500/4 as well. There is a CB200T right by my house that needs a complete rebuild. My wife thinks I'd be better off with the 500, but they are hard to come across for the right price ie. less than $500. If you have any other questions, let me know! Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #25
bones_708
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Everyone has their favorites but I will say that the Honda's are common, reasonably priced, and have good support and availability. The 350 is big enough to travel anywhere and small enough to be a nice putting around bike. A cl350 with dp tires is a great back road bike and you can do just about everything short of single track if you take your time.
bones_708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks bones. I think I'm going to go with the 200. It's $50 and I've never had or rebuilt a motorcycle. I want the experience of the rebuild, and a smaller bike to learn on for a few years when I get done. I'll buy a bigger bike later on. I'll post pix here as the rebuild starts (hopefully Monday!)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #27
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I ended up buying the CB200t. I have it torn apart and ready to be stripped and powder coated. I'm in the process of restoring the tank so I can start on the motor this fall. I'll post updates as things happen for anyone interesting.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #28
rufusswan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
Post a pic. If there ain't no pics it ain't real
rufusswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
cb200t OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ha, okay, I'll take some pics today. I have the frame and all the steel parts ready to go to the powdercoater to be blasted and painted. The fenders and chrome was all beyond hope, so that's all getting blasted and PC'd. Fenders silver, rims black, frame black. There's a local motocycle shop that does work on vintage bikes to relace the wheels for me. The motor is sitting under my work bench waiting to be cleaned and put back in the frame. The oil is black, and it turns over great. The odometer says it's only got 9000 miles on it, so I have hope it won't need to be rebuilt. I'll post pix later this afternoon.
Here are a couple to get started with.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #30
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,570
What are you planning for exhaust?
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote