Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #196
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,723
>"I don't think we disassembled it all the way. It seemed pretty healthy though."

Might be a plugged jet... just a little piece of crap can screw them up.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #197
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZone View Post
>"I don't think we disassembled it all the way. It seemed pretty healthy though."

Might be a plugged jet... just a little piece of crap can screw them up.
Would it get worse in the rain though? That's the only weird thing about this, if it was acting that bad regardless of weather, I'd be more inclined to think it was fuel rather than spark, cos it does act much like it does when it runs out of gas...
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #198
Tex76
Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer: 858
Stupid good RR. I'm mad at you for making me realize how much fun and adventure there is to be had. So I'll just sit here mad, reading every word you type...
The Lost Texan, Wanders East
Tex76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #199
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hells Canyon - Hood River to Enterprise (June 13th)

I awoke around 9, as I recall, and everybody was already packing or packed. What is it with men and early mornings?! Seduced by the idea of a strawberry pancake breakfast that was suggested the previous evening, we hung around another hour or so to see if the pancakes would appear. I spent some of the time trying to catch up on my picture-taking.

This little truck was cool looking, and I loved the fact that the Lodge was in the middle of an orchard!

The view from the Lodge was pretty great!

Sadly the pancakes did not appear, and even more sadly, we did not get a chance to say goodbye to Chris and Marti. So uh, hey Tourpros, thanks for your hospitality! You are awesome!

We rolled into town, gassed up, and got some snacks. Here's our motley crew:

In the PM exchange prior to this adventure, John assured me that "Slow and steady will be the rule. Nice back roads and nothing crazy." Now, John has a bit of a reputation for being a hooligan, so I bore that in mind before I signed on for this ride, but damn. I usually do about 10 over if I'm feeling frisky. I spent a lot of this day chasing the guys over 90mph on various back roads, forest roads, etc, sometimes going over 100, and I still NEVER CAUGHT UP until they stopped! To their credit, they did wait at intersections and we never got separated, but I'd be lying if I said I could name all the roads we went down! Or even most of them. I don't even remember where we stopped to eat lunch at... the day was a blur of twisties, trees, and canyons.

I am stupidly slow around corners. I don't feel comfortable leaning over very far yet, so only go about 10-20 mph over the posted corner limit. Other than that I was hauling ass. It was good to try to stretch my limits, but there were a few corners with gravel and such that I was happy I was going at a more reasonable pace. One corner I went wide, hit a bump or something coming around, and my bike was super wobbly, but I managed to save it before I touched the opposite shoulder (thank god there was no oncoming traffic!). At one point I had to pull over, we were going through a number of 15mph posted hairpins, and I was holding up a completely different group of bikers by puttering along. Sorry guys!

I only managed to pass Jungle Man/Jesse once all day. I was going uphill at 95+mph, the throttle completely pinned. Jesse was on a WR250 I think, and simply could not go any faster up the hill. Enthused by my success, I almost managed to pass Mark, but he saw me coming, and with a flick of the wrist, was going faster than I was capable of. Later on, when I mentioned this, he smirked and said "Yeah, I wasn't going to let you pass me". Pfft!

We passed a few cops along the way, who gave us good long stares, but none bothered to try to catch us. Apparently being in a group is some sort of deterrent? Neat!

I did manage to take one picture at a stop, and it was promptly photobombed.

We rolled into the Log House RV Park and Campground, and set up our gear. There were a LOT of people there already, and we were a day early!

I met Brian and Margaret, who really did their best to make us feel like we were at home, and at $11 a night to stay there, what's to complain about? After socializing and dinner, I made a nest out of my motorcycle gear and slept like a rock.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #200
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex76 View Post
Stupid good RR. I'm mad at you for making me realize how much fun and adventure there is to be had. So I'll just sit here mad, reading every word you type...
D'awww, thanks! Jealousy is the sincerest form of flattery. Or something like that! Glad you like it!
Old 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #201
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
Would it get worse in the rain though?.. .
yes, sounds like a plugged pilot jet. next time it starts sputtering, put the choke on. if that improves the problem, there's your answer.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #202
BSkye
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 692

Kid's got guts. no wait.......woman's got guts.

BSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #203
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
fantastic read, eagerly awaiting the next report!
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #204
Thumper Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
With your hiccupping maybe have the choke looked at, as I notticed a few pages back the choke knob seemed to be out a bit too far. Also, as already mention, have your kick stand switch bypassed so it won't affect anything electrical...........and also you clutch switch if it hasn't already.

It will be a process of elimination unfortunately. Another thing, it maybe the pickup coil or stator on its way out.. It can be checked with a multi meter.

Aren't you glad I narrowed it down for you.

good luck and a good read. Cya
Mods: Manrack, ebay 48 litre top box, grind header pipe; B&B bash plate; bigger/better tool compartment (pvc pipe) - Screens For Bikes Windscreen, TM40 Pumper Carb, Safari Tank, Seat Concepts, Oxford Heater Grips, Highway Pegs, Wolfman Expidition bags and racks, HDB handguards, Cogent Mojave rear shock, intiminators, GSX muffler/mod
Thumper Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #205
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,407
So madam, ¿donde estas now? Still on the road or recuperating from the trip?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #206
kfcz400
dirt track maniac

Oddometer: 244
great report, the worst thing that has happened so far is still better than working anyday...
kfcz400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #207
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey guys, I haven't fallen off the face of the planet or anything, been busy here in Portland finishing some stuff so I can really leave this region. The place where I'm staying isn't any sort of permanent "home base" so I can't leave my stuff here - meaning it has to get sold. I just sold the Rebel yesterday after over a month of it being on craigslist!

I have some bike maintenance to do, a few odds and ends to get rid of, and I have to get a rack for my mermite panniers. Then I can mosey.

I have been very eager to get on the road!

Updates will be forthcoming, I have a video in the works but that will take some time to set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSkye View Post

Kid's got guts. no wait.......woman's got guts.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
fantastic read, eagerly awaiting the next report!
Thank you, glad you're enjoying it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper Dan View Post
With your hiccupping maybe have the choke looked at, as I notticed a few pages back the choke knob seemed to be out a bit too far. Also, as already mention, have your kick stand switch bypassed so it won't affect anything electrical...........and also you clutch switch if it hasn't already.

It will be a process of elimination unfortunately. Another thing, it maybe the pickup coil or stator on its way out.. It can be checked with a multi meter.

Aren't you glad I narrowed it down for you.

good luck and a good read. Cya
Yeah, I see cleaning the carb in my future before I head out in case it's a clogged jet, I'll look at the choke then. I'll probably bypass the kick stand switch when I do the electrical go-through, that stuff needs cleaned and inspected. It's tricky to narrow things down, especially when there's no rain to make it display the symptoms currently, I'll just do what I can and hope for the best. Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
So madam, ¿donde estas now? Still on the road or recuperating from the trip?
There is no recuperating, this is my life until I run out of money! I'm not in any real hurry though, so I can spend some time in various locations with no real consequence... helps keep my sanity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcz400 View Post
great report, the worst thing that has happened so far is still better than working anyday...
I never regret being unemployed, even when in the distant past I've been scraping up change from the couch to buy gasoline. There is not a single time in my life where I've woken up and said "Damn, I really wish I'd spent the last few months staring at the inside of a cubicle, listening to coworkers complain about their personal drama, working hard for somebody else's profits and getting no respect for it."

Work is necessary sometimes, for sure, people gotta eat, bike's gotta eat, but I think if more people realized that the ideal situation is for work to serve times of idleness, instead of the other way around, we'd be a lot happier. I suggest everybody give it a try at some point in their lives.

One of my favorite essays is Quitting the Paint Factory.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #208
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
There is no recuperating, this is my life until I run out of money! I'm not in any real hurry though, so I can spend some time in various locations with no real consequence... helps keep my sanity.

I never regret being unemployed, even when in the distant past I've been scraping up change from the couch to buy gasoline. There is not a single time in my life where I've woken up and said "Damn, I really wish I'd spent the last few months staring at the inside of a cubicle, listening to coworkers complain about their personal drama, working hard for somebody else's profits and getting no respect for it."

Work is necessary sometimes, for sure, people gotta eat, bike's gotta eat, but I think if more people realized that the ideal situation is for work to serve times of idleness, instead of the other way around, we'd be a lot happier. I suggest everybody give it a try at some point in their lives.

One of my favorite essays is Quitting the Paint Factory.

John
Old 08-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #209
RevyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Great Ride Report

Great ride report Feyala, ...I am enjoying your adventure for sure.

More pictures please...

As for the hic-cuping that your bike is experiencing; ..it seems to me that it is running lean on the low end, which is what most guys are tending towards with a cracked carb boot. Did you notice the problem was worse at low elevations, ..or does it occurr somewhat less at higher elevations?

I am not familiar from experience with this exact carb, however, most carbs these days have a sealed off from the factory, idle mixture screw which would be normally adjustable. In order to meet emmisiion requirements, most factories set the idle mixture very lean in order to pass the tests. Many motorcycles will run better at idle and low speeds if one removes the plug and turns out the idle mixture screw from 1/2 to 1 full turn, which inturn richens the idle and low speed air/fuel mixture. It could be that simple, ..when it rains, the air is at a different density which could worsen the already lean mixture relationship.

It seems to me that you have eliminated several possible problems, so this could be worth investigating. The fuel mixture screw is located on the underside of the carb, usually on the back side of the fuel bowl, if it is plugged it will look sealed off by a plug, which can be drilled out.

Most any motorcycle tech will know where to look.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Cheers

98 HD FXDWG
Revelstoke, BC.

RevyRider screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 08:33 AM Reason: spelling
RevyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #210
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
...I never regret being unemployed, even when in the distant past I've been scraping up change from the couch to buy gasoline. There is not a single time in my life where I've woken up and said "Damn, I really wish I'd spent the last few months staring at the inside of a cubicle, listening to coworkers complain about their personal drama, working hard for somebody else's profits and getting no respect for it." ...
i would completely agree if we eliminated all forms of gubment assistance for the idle/voluntarily jobless.

dont pay taxes? no problemo, you dont get any of them.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote