Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #211
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Found...

...and Subscribed!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #212
TO Scootz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i would completely agree if we eliminated all forms of gubment assistance for the idle/voluntarily jobless.

dont pay taxes? no problemo, you dont get any of them.
But she has paid taxes, when she's worked.
I think what the lady is is pissed off at is not "work" but consumerism. You know, work your ass off to buy lots of cheap Chinese junk from Walmart, to cart home in your big, gas guzzling SUV, to fill up the "way too big for you" house you have a big mortgage on. I long ago decided that I would never; Work at a job that I hated, in order to buy "stuff" I didn't need, in order to impress people I didn't like.
That didn't mean that I didn't work...I did. But I also spent a lot of very enjoyable time goofing off.

Fetala,
You go girl!
TO Scootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #213
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO Scootz View Post
But she has paid taxes, when she's worked.
I think what the lady is is pissed off at is not "work" but consumerism. You know, work your ass off to buy lots of cheap Chinese junk from Walmart, to cart home in your big, gas guzzling SUV, to fill up the "way too big for you" house you have a big mortgage on. I long ago decided that I would never; Work at a job that I hated, in order to buy "stuff" I didn't need, in order to impress people I didn't like.
That didn't mean that I didn't work...I did. But I also spent a lot of very enjoyable time goofing off.

Fetala,
You go girl!
I have no problem with the exertion of physical effort (or mental effort) in exchange for goods and services. I do have a problem with overconsumption, as you suggest, but I also have a problem with exchanging my soul for money. I would much rather dig a ditch all day for pay at the end of it, free to come and go as I please, than to yoke myself to a corporation who will want to control how I dress, with whom I spend my time, what substances I imbibe on my days off, what I think and say, etc. It's difficult for me to find non-corporate work, but I think when I next need money, I will probably go for either agricultural labor or work as a forest ranger. Other people have more responsibilities than I do, and are forced to work for these kinds of control freak companies out of necessity instead of joy. They have my sympathies.

My largest complaint with the system we've created is the sheer amount of time we spend doing things we don't like. The sheer percentage of our lives we trade in the quest for money.

From the essay: "You must empty your pockets, turn them inside out, and spill out your wife and your son, the pets you hardly knew, and the days you sim*ply missed altogether watching the sunlight fade on the bricks across the way. You must hand over the rainy afternoons, the light on the grass, the moments of play and of simply being. You must give it up, all of it, and by your example teach your children to do the same, and then – because even this is not enough – you must train yourself to believe that this outsourcing of your life is both natural and good. But even so, your soul will not be saved."

What's the value of a sunset? How many dollars is an afternoon spent lounging in a hammock, free from worry about the future, worth? Money can't buy happiness, and as a culture I think we've largely forgotten that fact. As a culture, even as our median income has gone up, our happiness has gone down, because the things that make us happy, time with friends and family, enjoying hobbies, are not things you can buy.

I am privileged to be able to follow my passions in this life. I'm definitely a better person for having the experiences I have had.

I pay my taxes when I work, same as anyone else. I just work less. As I mentioned before, I live off of savings, and get by on very little, which is how I'm able to afford this trip. But shy of work for it's own sake, or work for mere survival, what is the point of work if not to allow us unbounded leisure to figure out who we truly are, what we think, to be creative and explore and dream? To enjoy the fading pleasures of our short lives, the company of loved ones? Vacations are a hollow mimicry in comparison.

I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy.

The next update is written, the photos are resized. It's ready to go except for the video. I'm still new at video editing, so it's taking me a while, haha. I've also been quite busy fixing my bike, which is in pieces in the driveway.

And now, I go off for a hike!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #214
Domromer
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I have no problem with the exertion of physical effort (or mental effort) in exchange for goods and services. I do have a problem with overconsumption, as you suggest, but I also have a problem with exchanging my soul for money. I would much rather dig a ditch all day for pay at the end of it, free to come and go as I please, than to yoke myself to a corporation who will want to control how I dress, with whom I spend my time, what substances I imbibe on my days off, what I think and say, etc. It's difficult for me to find non-corporate work, but I think when I next need money, I will probably go for either agricultural labor or work as a forest ranger. Other people have more responsibilities than I do, and are forced to work for these kinds of control freak companies out of necessity instead of joy. They have my sympathies.

My largest complaint with the system we've created is the sheer amount of time we spend doing things we don't like. The sheer percentage of our lives we trade in the quest for money.

From the essay: "You must empty your pockets, turn them inside out, and spill out your wife and your son, the pets you hardly knew, and the days you sim*ply missed altogether watching the sunlight fade on the bricks across the way. You must hand over the rainy afternoons, the light on the grass, the moments of play and of simply being. You must give it up, all of it, and by your example teach your children to do the same, and then – because even this is not enough – you must train yourself to believe that this outsourcing of your life is both natural and good. But even so, your soul will not be saved."

What's the value of a sunset? How many dollars is an afternoon spent lounging in a hammock, free from worry about the future, worth? Money can't buy happiness, and as a culture I think we've largely forgotten that fact. As a culture, even as our median income has gone up, our happiness has gone down, because the things that make us happy, time with friends and family, enjoying hobbies, are not things you can buy.

I am privileged to be able to follow my passions in this life. I'm definitely a better person for having the experiences I have had.

I pay my taxes when I work, same as anyone else. I just work less. As I mentioned before, I live off of savings, and get by on very little, which is how I'm able to afford this trip. But shy of work for it's own sake, or work for mere survival, what is the point of work if not to allow us unbounded leisure to figure out who we truly are, what we think, to be creative and explore and dream? To enjoy the fading pleasures of our short lives, the company of loved ones? Vacations are a hollow mimicry in comparison.

I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy.

The next update is written, the photos are resized. It's ready to go except for the video. I'm still new at video editing, so it's taking me a while, haha. I've also been quite busy fixing my bike, which is in pieces in the driveway.

And now, I go off for a hike!
I concur.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #215
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Yep! Agree with Fey!
Must have had more than 50 jobs in my lifetime, most ranging from 1 to 3 months, some a little longer, and the longest 2 years. Then I decided to work for myself, which was a tad better but really stressful and too long hours.
Now I am hoping that I can handle 10 days in a row once every two or so months.
Some folks have managed to make a living out of what they enjoy doing, those are very few, and I would be lying if I said I didn't envy them just a tad. Living on the road might give me some insight as to what it is that I might enjoy doing and that pays too. Meanwhile, like Fey, I am enjoying life, and not getting lost and buried in the drudgery of mind and soul numbing work every day, until somehow I find the answers to have the cake and eat it too!

Fey I just love these words:
"Vacations are a hollow mimicry in comparison."
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #216
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158
"I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy"

I disagree, this is your RR and you write it as you see fit. If others do not like it they can read elsewhere. I for one enjoy reading other points of view even if I do not completely agree. That is what is cool about ADV we all are striving for some sort of freedom whatever form that might take.
I could not to take it to the levels you do as my life and wants are different from yours but I do agree with your views on over consumption and corporate America. To quote Lostrider “Own less live more"
Thanks for a very good read and I look forward to more.
Be safe
Michael

dec181966 screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 08:43 AM
dec181966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #217
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
Fey, I wish i had your attitude when I was young...would have saved me angst! anyway, you have a particular gift of gab 'on paper'. means you write good :) that is a very marketable skill, even from a laptop in a tent on the side of a mountain. unfortunately, i have no idea who you would send your reseme to to get that job. but i have read RR's from people on the road, Mex to be exact, and they did land jobs in the us while traveling in mexico. i'm old school (old) so i'm not versed in internet jobs and working from home, but these people i have in mind pulled it off. so good luck to you in avoiding THE MAN :) in the meantime, keep up the fun stuff!!!!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #218
Blueshark
Coastal Castaway

Oddometer: 159
A forest ranger has a grand outdoors environment to work in, but also has an organizational structure that evolved from roots in the military. You are also subject to random drug testing, and must abide by a long list of laws, rules, and regulations on everything from appearance to acquisition, property, etc. National Forests are multiple-use, so a ranger is not only concerned with protection of resources, but production from resources like timber, grazing, water, and minerals. Lots of assessing, measuring, and reporting. Not much touchy-feely enviro-glamor in that stuff. You are still largely paid in sunsets.

Best of luck to you in your travels!

Blueshark screwed with this post 08-24-2012 at 03:50 PM Reason: fix spelling error
Blueshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #219
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,725
I concur with Fey, but I always seemed trapped.

I mean, I live cheaply and within my means - at the moment my only loan is a school loan, but somehow I keep choosing jobs that demand everything of me... never quite finding one that actually is worth living. I got over overconsumption and using a credit card years ago, so living cheaply isn't quite that tough.

I know I would have made a great farmer or rancher, but never had the chance beyond working them as a kid.

41 years old, now, and applying for new jobs - knowing some are out there that would make me happy even if I weren't the business owner, but damned if I'm creative enough to find 'em. I even thought of moving out west, to Idaho, as a teacher, but damned if they don't want me to have more training - in a second field - to be able to teach two subjects since one isn't enough in smaller areas. More expertise / certificates to teach for way lower pay, lol.

I'll find something eventually.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #220
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Hi

Hey Feyala,

Damn girl, you've been hiking for a loooooong time!

Still enjoying your RR. I particularly enjoy your candor, your outlook, and your willingness to share your experiences and observations. It's really nice. You've got a fun style of writing.

If you ever come back to Steamboat to do some more housekeeping at the Grand .............. get in touch. Lots of good riding back here in Routt County you know.

Keep on keeping on, and ride safe.

Regards, Rob
Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #221
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Century of the Self

Of course, most of us would concur with Fey... we are all creative human beings who largely discovered parts of our buried souls through living two shared passions: motorcycling and travel.

When y'all have time on a rainy day, watch this BBC documentary about the rise of Consumerism as a form of social control, you will understand why we feel the way we do:

Century of the Self

This is a smart four part documentary series that begins at the end of WWI and wraps up in the modern era at the beginning of the Clinton Administration. The first half focuses first on the work of the nephew of Sigmund Freud who applied his famous uncle's research to create the new industry of Public Relations which was founded on the effectiveness of Propaganda during Wartime. The second half illustrates how the people in the West have largely imbibed the Psy-Ops cool-aid to no longer require the threat of punishments, merely the idea of rejection works to keep us in line.

To Corporations, Banks, World Leaders, we are not even viewed as slaves so much as beasts of burden on a yoke, to be controlled and manipulated for their ends. The sad part is we believe ourselves free human beings. Few are, even if we see what's going on. Many people in the South knew the system was corrupt before Civil Rights movement but lacked the courage to fight Slavery or Segregation because the system seemed to big, too strong. "Freedom," was the final cry when they could take no more and arose en-mass.

To be free requires action, the sort of stepping away from the "norms" when they are insane; the kind of life that Fey has chosen.

Watch the documentary and see if you disagree.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #222
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post

When y'all have time on a rainy day, watch this BBC documentary about the rise of Consumerism as a form of social control, you will understand why we feel the way we do:

Century of the Self
Thank you - I will watch that maybe on tomorrow's rainy day. Today's rainy day had my out in a feeder band of tropical storm Isaac for an early morning 210 mile DR650 ride , Tomorrow and Monday are gonna be worse, so... perfect time to watch vids.

I can't completely agree that all things that seem to control us (tax breaks for the married for example) were meant to control us, instead of being legislated in earnest, but such things seem to control nonetheless.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #223
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Smaller is better, bigger is toxic. For a brief synopsis of where all that "stuff comes from,
http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8
Well worth a watch, shorter than 1/2 hr. sitcom. "ricky
Old 08-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #224
Scootard
Twist-n-Go

Oddometer: 235
Or even this non-motorcycle related think piece...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygV25ny5riw

Old 08-26-2012, 05:05 PM   #225
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post

Century of the Self
Thanks for the link Ed. I've made two hours of it and it's quite interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEY
I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy
The best RR's on ADV are usually slightly off the wall from folks who are doing things we think about but never seem to get around to. They have an ability to take life as it comes and go for it. One that comes to mind was the lady from the northwest (a firefighter if I remember but her name/handle escapes me. SunnySideUp maybe?) who went to south america with three friends and through various incidents ended up doing the trip alone. She had an incredible soul and outlook that shone through the whole adventure. It wasn't just riding from point a to point b and it added so much to the read.

So let your freak flag fly and give us the full dose. It's good to experience things different from oneself.

John