Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #241
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I run my own web server (I am a nerd), so I don't really need the hosting space. I've seen a number of older pages that have used photobucket for hosting and the photos just aren't there anymore, I'm not sure if this is because the owner has removed the photos or if photobucket just drops things that aren't used after a while. I also don't like blank images with "bandwidth exceeded". Plus, I like the control that only running your own stuff can provide, not having advertising on galleries, and not needing to worry about somebody else's terms of service. I subscribe to the theory that if you aren't paying for a service, you're the product, not the customer, and I've seen similar sites that reserve the right to appropriate your photos for whatever use they deem fit (such as their own advertising, or for their "partners" to use).

I tend to resize my images down because there's only so many usable pixels that come out of my droid's camera, due to the small sensor, but they like being able to advertise that it's an 8mp camera, so you end up with huge useless files. It'd be one thing if I had a DSLR and it was 2-3 megs of print-quality beauty per photo, but I'd rather scale things based upon how decent they look at 100% and how many details they contain - gorgeous landscapes get a larger final size than a grainy photo of bike repair.

I probably won't have time for that aspect on the road, so I'll probably do a bulk resize on the droid before I put them up on the server, which automatically generates the thumbnails (what you see in the posts). You can click on any of the thumbnails and get a much larger version of any image, which I like - people don't have to wait 5 minutes for this thread to load, less work for the server. I then tell wordpress to crosspost to my livejournal, and take the generated html there, clean up the code a bit, and post it here. It sounds like a lot of steps, but it's pretty effective and usually doesn't take more than 10 minutes to make sure everything looks kosher elsewhere once the wordpress entry is finished. I will probably write a php script to clean up the code for me, or to provide me with an ADV-friendly version so I can cut time that way.

The time taken for photos is mostly in selecting the right one - I will frequently take 5-6 pictures of something if I think it's awesome, and then I have to figure out which one looks the best. I take into account the crispness of the lines, how grainy it is, whether it conveys the right mood, and the composition. Sometimes I'll use a photo that is slightly worse technically, but which contains a fun aspect the other photos don't. Most of the photos don't come out as well as I'd like, which is why I take multiple, there are no manual settings on the droid so I'm stuck with whatever it thinks is best. Since I have access to a PC currently, sometimes I will fix the contrast. Sometimes I find photos of something I forgot to mention in the entry, and then I have to write more. Eventually the entry shapes up how I want it and it gets posted up. I'd say each image probably takes less than a minute to decide on, fix, and upload, but it's still a considerable time investment when trying to catch up 12+ entries like I'm doing. It will be easier when I only have to do a day or two at a time.

I would say that I probably spend more time editing than writing or putting the photos up combined, reading through each entry multiple times, catching typos, improper grammar and my weird verbal tics. If I was to upload my first draft and whatever random photos, an entry would probably only take me about 20 minutes, but I'd be a lot less happy with the quality. We'll see how that plays out with a smaller screen and less patience!

Thankfully, time is the one thing I have plenty of!
Sounds like your pretty independent in the computer world and are well organized, best off not to mess with what works ...

I have had my pics replaced by bandwidth exceeded symbols a few times on Photobucket so I know what your talking about there, but other than that it has worked OK for me... If I was to run a more high end camera I might try something else that would bring up cleaner clearer images...
gunnerbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #242
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Waiting to see pics of your "new" DR650!

Yeah... we know.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #243
gottago
oompapa

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed~ View Post
Yeah... we know.
Speaking of "new" DR. Thanks again for my "new DR". Loving it.
Heading for Utah in a few weeks.
Nancy
Old 09-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #244
Ed~
What, Me Worry?

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
Speaking of "new" DR. Thanks again for my "new DR". Loving it.
Heading for Utah in a few weeks.
Nancy

It's all about fun bikes and lovin' life!
Ed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #245
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Hells Canyon – Hess Road (June 14th)

I awoke from my slumber to the sound of everybody else already puttering around. Slowly I pulled myself out of my tent and began the process of waking up. Somebody offered me some coffee, which I gratefully accepted, and I offered him some sugar from my spice kit in return. As I worked out the stiffness in my back from sleeping on my gear, I mentioned my predicament, and lo and behold, Russ/Got2Moto offered up his Big Agnes pad for me to have, if I liked. He said that it wasn't right for him. AWESOME! Thank you!! I told him I'd give it a try. Gotta be better than sleeping on lumpy gear, right?

Eventually plans condensed and a lot of us left in one big group. I wasn't entirely sure what the route was, but I figured it'd be fun anyways. After making our way through the town of Enterprise, through the pastoral countryside past Joseph, we turned onto a small, winding forest service road. For a while, we stayed mostly in a somewhat cohesive whole, but the further we went down the forest service road, the more spread out we became. We ended up splitting into at least two groups, and I was in the slowest one. The forest service road was very fun, lots of twists and turns, many hairpin 15mph curves, with bumps, lumps and potholes aplenty: exactly the stuff I go slow on.

Eventually it was down to three of us. Mark/s1marks rode ahead, found somebody else who told him what they thought the "fast guys" were planning, so he suggested that we go down Hess Road to catch up with them. There was some confusion about what was going on, so we ended up going back and forth a bit. I was mildly annoyed at the miscommunication and planning, but it's hard to stay mad with a beautiful day and gorgeous views.

When we got to the turn off for Hess road, there was freshly graded gravel. Mark advised me to make sure I stayed in the ruts - the built up parts could be deep and would mean the death of my traction. Needless to say, this was scary, but I held on and made it through.

Hess road wandered through the trees, then broke out and became a series of hairpins dropping in elevation along the steep slope of the mountain. The views were phenomenal. I rode my brakes a lot, because I have issues with building momentum on downhill slopes, the thought of careening over the cliff an ever-present threat. Both of the beemers' rear brakes stopped working effectively, and only later returned once they'd had a chance to cool down. Thankfully, my brakes stayed intact.

Spot the bike!

I stopped frequently to rest/stretch my clutch hand and take photos. I was terrified, but extremely excited to be out here doing this road. I felt that if something were to happen, at least I wasn't alone - we would fix whatever went wrong. It was comforting. I probably would not have attempted this road solo, but I learned a lot.

I really like this one because it shows just how steep the road actually was...

Determination.

Toward the end, the last mile of Hess road got a lot more challenging. For the most part, even though the road was hairpinny and had small rocks and gravel, the corners were navigable. In this last mile, the corners were full of fist-sized rocks, making it extremely difficult to turn sharply while maintaining traction, especially because I was too afraid to stand up. I managed to get it done, dabbing once or twice as the bike started going where I didn't want it to go.

We made it to the bottom, the road became flat and washboarded. There were a number of campers along the river, and we dodged a few pickup trucks barrelling down the road toward us, kicking up lots of dust.

We got to the gas station in Oxbow. They didn't have any regular fuel, so I took a look at my fuel level and decided to chance it. I had the unfortunate experience of trying to remove underlayers in a port-a-john (the day had started quite chilly, but I was now overheating). I don't recommend it.

After discussing routes, Mark decided he was going to go back up Hess Road. The other gentleman decided he was going to go back on pavement. I was not yet ready to call it a day, and we had no idea where the fast guys were. I weighed my options, and decided, well. Fuck it. I might as well go right back up that scary mountain.

Most of the experience of going uphill was a lot easier than going down it. Mark alternated between following me and jetting on ahead, riding at his own pace, only to wait for me later on.

We were passed on the way up by some guys in the fast group.

I was able to actually cruise along in first and occasionally second, except around the corners, where I used the clutch to creep myself along below first. The rocks in the first mile were definitely the worst part of coming uphill, until I almost got stuck in a rut. I had been paying too much attention to the area around my front wheel and not enough attention on picking the route ahead, and the shade hid the rut. Stupid.

I stopped the bike, and managed to not drop it. Ineffectively wishing that my legs were a few inches longer, I paddled and yelled back to Mark, asking what he thought I should do. He advised to go forward, but I knew I didn't have enough traction, the bike would just fishtail and fall over. I slowly, ever so slowly backed it up to the area before the rut, and then slowly, ever so slowly, pointed the bike in a slightly different direction than the rut and gassed it forward in short little bursts, gaining a few feet of ground between sliding backwards. If I had more confidence, faster speed, or had been standing, this rut would not have been a challenge at all, but stability is not the best when you're creeping along.

Once we got to the top, past the fresh gravel (which was fairly harrowing going uphill too), we stopped for a bit to relax, hydrate, and had a pretty awesome conversation. Mark decided that he wanted to try exploring the dirt road near the lookout, where we'd begun venturing earlier in the day, as he'd heard there was a route down there somewhere that led to Imnaha.

We stopped and appreciated the view. The mountains in this area seem to go on forever.

After Hess road, I didn't find this road nearly as scary, and actually managed to make it up to 30-40mph here and there along the gravel, standing up in places as I tried to mimic Mark's riding. There were a few areas where he gestured for me to slow down, the traction was worse. This road wound down among the trees, lots of half-buried rocks and tree roots, occasional puddles of mud.

We found the end of the line, and decided to venture on a couple of horse trails to see if we could find the route he was thinking of. One effectively ended a few hundred feet down the line, necessitating a truly embarassing dozen-point u-turn. I eventually gave up and got off the bike to push it around. The next one we tried had these huge, terrifying rocks. A bit larger than fist-sized, if they'd stayed still it wouldn't have been an issue, but it was like riding in a dry creek bed, constantly shifting. At my low speeds this Was Not Working.

Eventually we gave up on our quest and decided to head back to camp. The forest service road was quite fun, and I pushed myself a little bit more around the corners. Mark gave me some advice about not fully leaning in, leaning the bike but staying more upright myself, which I found helped me a bit. Especially in the lumps and bumps.

I got phenomenal gas mileage. Apparently this bike likes going slow, even if I'm working the engine harder to go up mountains, because I got almost 60 mpg.

After we got back to camp, Mark took a look at my tires, which had cupped a lot over the day. I'd known they were a softer compound, I believe they were 90%/10% dirt/road Kendas, but he expressed concerns that the tires were not going to get me home. I found it odd that they hadn't shown much wear over the 90mph day, only now that they were used for their intended purpose. Rocks and debris I guess? I decided I'd keep an eye on them and see how bad they were at the end of the rally.

I felt pretty proud of myself that I managed to go through the day without dropping the bike, falling headlong over the cliff, or caving into my fears. I am very grateful to Mark for babysitting me all that day, I know that I am much slower. He assured me that he was the same way not that long ago, that it just takes practice and eventually I would be as good as he is, helping out somebody else who's new. He also took a bunch of photos and video of me, which is great, because I mostly tend to ride solo and don't get many pictures of me riding.

There was a fire and everyone enjoyed the blaze for a bit.

I slept well that night. The Big Agnes pad was a miracle after so many nights on the hard ground.

After much futzing, I finally managed to cut the footage Mark gave me into a video! I had to update the video drivers, but eventually Windows Movie Maker came through for me. Enjoy!

Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #246
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Video Editing

F-I-N-A-L-L-Y!

I am not doing that again anytime soon.

I am sure it comes along just fine with practice, and about 90% of the problem was in getting the tools sorted out, but damn. I think my RR is just going to be snippets of video when appropriate from now on, I don't think there's a way I could have done that on my droid. Oh well, I don't have a helmet cam anyways, no worries.

PSA: If you want to edit movies on Windows, the Movie Maker is actually pretty simple, has decent features, and is free, it took me maybe 3 hours to actually edit that video. I also had to take a day or two to find some creative commons music for the background. If you find yourself in similar straits I suggest http://www.incompetech.com, http://www.jamendo.com/en/, and http://www.danosongs.com/ which all had some pretty good tunes, it was difficult to pick just one that had the right sort of lazy-day mood. Using Creative Commons, if you don't know what it is, means that you are abiding the obnoxious copyright rules on sites like Youtube, so your video won't get muted or spammed with ads. You just usually can't sell the video later without paying royalties, depending on the license, which I think is fair.

On the up side, I've got a TON of entries written now. Tomorrow I will catch up on responses, fix some pictures, and maybe if I feel really frisky post some more entries.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #247
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
In. . .

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:58 AM   #248
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Fey
It's good to see you in the saddle again. The video was great and Mark did a great job of getting you coming and going. Just 1 question, is that your DR that you are ridding? I don't remember it being red.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #249
jguerin77
I ride my own

Oddometer: 410
Great!

Wow, I am impressed! You are eloquent and driven. You must have some pretty cool parents.

I am in!

Member of Southern Cruisers Riding Club and Chrome Divas
jguerin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #250
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Massive reply post go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevyRider View Post
Great ride report Feyala, ...I am enjoying your adventure for sure.

More pictures please...

As for the hic-cuping that your bike is experiencing; ..it seems to me that it is running lean on the low end, which is what most guys are tending towards with a cracked carb boot. Did you notice the problem was worse at low elevations, ..or does it occurr somewhat less at higher elevations?

I am not familiar from experience with this exact carb, however, most carbs these days have a sealed off from the factory, idle mixture screw which would be normally adjustable. In order to meet emmisiion requirements, most factories set the idle mixture very lean in order to pass the tests. Many motorcycles will run better at idle and low speeds if one removes the plug and turns out the idle mixture screw from 1/2 to 1 full turn, which inturn richens the idle and low speed air/fuel mixture. It could be that simple, ..when it rains, the air is at a different density which could worsen the already lean mixture relationship.

It seems to me that you have eliminated several possible problems, so this could be worth investigating. The fuel mixture screw is located on the underside of the carb, usually on the back side of the fuel bowl, if it is plugged it will look sealed off by a plug, which can be drilled out.

Most any motorcycle tech will know where to look.

Good luck and enjoy your adventure.

Cheers
Yeah, I definitely suspect it's lean. Most people that hear I have the TM-40 are shocked when I say I usually get mid-50s MPG wise, and there are some days I crack 60. My plan is to futz with the fuel/air mixture next time I have the problem, but it's been gorgeous and sunny for the last few months, so no dice. The TM-40 afaik does not come sealed when you buy it as an aftermarket part, but I'd heard about doing something like you suggest with the stock BST. I've turned it a bit richer than I like currently, the summer heat plus being stuck in bumper to bumper traffic meant it was cooking my right leg. I'll lean it out a bit again once I get away from the city.

I've removed the kickstand safety switch, cleaned the carb again, actually removing the main jet, which had some crap on it, installed an inline fuel filter, and inspected the wiring as well. Both plugs are firing. We shall see if the behavior returns.

Quote:
...and Subscribed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yep! Agree with Fey!
Must have had more than 50 jobs in my lifetime, most ranging from 1 to 3 months, some a little longer, and the longest 2 years. Then I decided to work for myself, which was a tad better but really stressful and too long hours.
Now I am hoping that I can handle 10 days in a row once every two or so months.
Some folks have managed to make a living out of what they enjoy doing, those are very few, and I would be lying if I said I didn't envy them just a tad. Living on the road might give me some insight as to what it is that I might enjoy doing and that pays too. Meanwhile, like Fey, I am enjoying life, and not getting lost and buried in the drudgery of mind and soul numbing work every day, until somehow I find the answers to have the cake and eat it too!

Fey I just love these words:
"Vacations are a hollow mimicry in comparison."
Most of my jobs last about 3 months, at that point I usually have mastered whatever task I have been presented with and it becomes just performing the motions, like a robot. I crave novelty. I've only had two jobs for over a year, one of which was inventory - constantly changing locations and hours, but the work itself was droll, and working at GoDaddy, which was the first time I've ever been paid (and paid well) to think and solve problems. Even that feeling of accomplishment wasn't enough to keep me grounded though.

I've considered working for myself but I generally only hear what you've said above, that it's stressful, eats up your life, and you get less for doing more than working for somebody else. I've considered freelancing as a solution, and as long as I'm not stationary my expenses are minimal, but I don't know.

I am glad you like my words. :)

You may like this essay I recently stumbled upon. It's certainly got some contentious opinions, but I like the central premise:
http://www.t0.or.at/hakimbey/tourism.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec181966 View Post
"I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy"

I disagree, this is your RR and you write it as you see fit. If others do not like it they can read elsewhere. I for one enjoy reading other points of view even if I do not completely agree. That is what is cool about ADV we all are striving for some sort of freedom whatever form that might take.
I could not to take it to the levels you do as my life and wants are different from yours but I do agree with your views on over consumption and corporate America. To quote Lostrider “Own less live more"
Thanks for a very good read and I look forward to more.
Be safe
Michael
"Own less live more" indeed. The things you own end up owning you. Cliched but true. Or from the song that the title of my RR comes from, "The less I have, the more I gain". There's a certain peace I've found that comes from having less stuff.

I admit a bit of surprise that the philosophy has been so well received here. I tend to compartmentalize - I have friends that I share a great deal of philosophical similarities with, but they don't have much interest in bikes, for example, so to some extent I assumed the converse was also true. Especially given that a vast majority of the folks on here do have very different lives from mine, as you suggest.

I suppose I will attempt to keep the amount down to avoid distraction from the RR but maybe be less apologetic about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Fey, I wish i had your attitude when I was young...would have saved me angst! anyway, you have a particular gift of gab 'on paper'. means you write good :) that is a very marketable skill, even from a laptop in a tent on the side of a mountain. unfortunately, i have no idea who you would send your reseme to to get that job. but i have read RR's from people on the road, Mex to be exact, and they did land jobs in the us while traveling in mexico. i'm old school (old) so i'm not versed in internet jobs and working from home, but these people i have in mind pulled it off. so good luck to you in avoiding THE MAN :) in the meantime, keep up the fun stuff!!!!
I got through the angst back when I was a teenager, I figured out the system early. I was furiously angry at the world for a good number of years. Like finding out that there is no easter bunny, except that everybody you meet sings his praises. Even still, I couldn't see another way, had no role models for anything other than a career. At 17 I was on track with a boyfriend who was 8 years my senior, I planned to have an interesting job as a big cat trainer and to settle down with a house and possibly kids.

Something kept crawling around my hindbrain though, and would not let me rest. I kept thinking "I wish I'd been born a few centuries ago, a thousand years ago, when there were still things to explore, but now unless I explore the seas or space, there is no more uncharted territory." I thought about the job I had planned, imagined I was doing it for a year. Five years. Twenty. Would I still find it as fascinating? No. Was there any other job that I would find interesting over that span? Probably not. So I decided... well. Fuck it. I might as well explore and see what I can see, even if others have been there before. I have nothing to really lose. If I decide to settle down later, I always can. If I come across something I want to do that requires a college degree, I can go get one. And here I am. It's been 11 years now, and I only feel like I've scratched the surface.

I've considered doing travel writing or writing code on the road, for sure. Like you, I don't really know anything about actually getting those jobs though, so I figure I'll keep my ear to the ground and if it's meant to be, something will present itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
A forest ranger has a grand outdoors environment to work in, but also has an organizational structure that evolved from roots in the military. You are also subject to random drug testing, and must abide by a long list of laws, rules, and regulations on everything from appearance to acquisition, property, etc. National Forests are multiple-use, so a ranger is not only concerned with protection of resources, but production from resources like timber, grazing, water, and minerals. Lots of assessing, measuring, and reporting. Not much touchy-feely enviro-glamor in that stuff. You are still largely paid in sunsets.

Best of luck to you in your travels!
Depends on the juristiction, I think. I spent a few months with a guy working on the Boston Harbor Islands end of season and we... were hooligans at times. We rode quads around the island, broke into part of a civil-war era fort that burned in the 70s and explored around, stood on the edge of the island during a nor-easter and watched the huge swells, and sat around playing GTA while intoxicated. I have no illusions that the letter of the law makes being a ranger very strict business, but I have friends who are rangers currently, and it seems incredibly laid back in practice, at least where they are stationed.

One friend of mine works at Yosemite, and most of his job is explaining things to tourists and trying to make sure that people don't kill themselves with their own stupidity. He also hikes trails making sure that nobody needs help. I don't doubt that there's a lot of stupid paperwork they don't tell me about, but getting paid to be outside and do useful work for a season and travelling the rest of the year is very appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I concur with Fey, but I always seemed trapped.

I mean, I live cheaply and within my means - at the moment my only loan is a school loan, but somehow I keep choosing jobs that demand everything of me... never quite finding one that actually is worth living. I got over overconsumption and using a credit card years ago, so living cheaply isn't quite that tough.

I know I would have made a great farmer or rancher, but never had the chance beyond working them as a kid.

41 years old, now, and applying for new jobs - knowing some are out there that would make me happy even if I weren't the business owner, but damned if I'm creative enough to find 'em. I even thought of moving out west, to Idaho, as a teacher, but damned if they don't want me to have more training - in a second field - to be able to teach two subjects since one isn't enough in smaller areas. More expertise / certificates to teach for way lower pay, lol.

I'll find something eventually.
Living cheaply is definitely a useful skill, and it's one I wish they'd teach in high school. I wish you good luck in getting rid of the student loan.

I would suggest that you look at this site if you want to do ranching: http://www.coolworks.com/

It lists jobs at guest ranches, national parks, ski resorts, etc. Might not be what you want to do, but it's a door into something different.

My best advice to you is to write down a list of things that make you truly happy. If you didn't have to work, what would you spend your time doing? Then go from there and figure out how to bring more of those moments of happiness into your life. The only way to be happy working, IMO, is to be doing a job you would do for free out of passion. Otherwise you're just going to end up staring out the window and wishing you were somewhere else, and that's a miserable way to let the precious years of your life dribble away.

I don't think there is a job that I would happily do for free, if there is, I haven't found it yet. Pay attention though, if you do find yourself envious of somebody else's job, take the time to investigate why. What is so cool about it? How did they get there? Is there a chance you could do the same thing? People don't really think about it, but there are lots of weird, awesome jobs, and everybody got those jobs somehow... nobody is born as a skydiving instructor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Thank you - I will watch that maybe on tomorrow's rainy day. Today's rainy day had my out in a feeder band of tropical storm Isaac for an early morning 210 mile DR650 ride , Tomorrow and Monday are gonna be worse, so... perfect time to watch vids.

I can't completely agree that all things that seem to control us (tax breaks for the married for example) were meant to control us, instead of being legislated in earnest, but such things seem to control nonetheless.
Man, stay safe out there! Hurricanes and tropical storms freak me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Feyala,

Damn girl, you've been hiking for a loooooong time!

Still enjoying your RR. I particularly enjoy your candor, your outlook, and your willingness to share your experiences and observations. It's really nice. You've got a fun style of writing.

If you ever come back to Steamboat to do some more housekeeping at the Grand .............. get in touch. Lots of good riding back here in Routt County you know.

Keep on keeping on, and ride safe.

Regards, Rob
Hey, thanks! I'm glad you like it! I'd definitely like to see more of Colorado, and I'll hit you up when I'm in the area. It probably won't be this year, summer's fading fast and the idea of hitting snow on those mountain passes scares the shit out of me.

Quote:
Of course, most of us would concur with Fey... we are all creative human beings who largely discovered parts of our buried souls through living two shared passions: motorcycling and travel.

When y'all have time on a rainy day, watch this BBC documentary about the rise of Consumerism as a form of social control, you will understand why we feel the way we do:

Century of the Self

This is a smart four part documentary series that begins at the end of WWI and wraps up in the modern era at the beginning of the Clinton Administration. The first half focuses first on the work of the nephew of Sigmund Freud who applied his famous uncle's research to create the new industry of Public Relations which was founded on the effectiveness of Propaganda during Wartime. The second half illustrates how the people in the West have largely imbibed the Psy-Ops cool-aid to no longer require the threat of punishments, merely the idea of rejection works to keep us in line.

To Corporations, Banks, World Leaders, we are not even viewed as slaves so much as beasts of burden on a yoke, to be controlled and manipulated for their ends. The sad part is we believe ourselves free human beings. Few are, even if we see what's going on. Many people in the South knew the system was corrupt before Civil Rights movement but lacked the courage to fight Slavery or Segregation because the system seemed to big, too strong. "Freedom," was the final cry when they could take no more and arose en-mass.

To be free requires action, the sort of stepping away from the "norms" when they are insane; the kind of life that Fey has chosen.

Watch the documentary and see if you disagree.
This sounds fascinating and right up my alley! I will definitely give this a watch when I get some free time.

I definitely agree with all you've written here. I would say we are not even treated as well as beasts of burden though. It might not be politically correct to say, but I tend to agree with the sentiment that at least beasts of burden and slaves are generally cared for, tended to when they are sickly, fed and sheltered, which is more than I can say about wage slavery. With wage slavery, you are rented, not owned, and if you 'break down' they can replace you with another one just as easily.

This is not observed quite as readily when you get into white collar work, stuff that pays a living wage, but anybody that would lose their home if they missed a week of work knows what I'm talking about.

The largest cause of personal bankruptcy in this country is medical bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Smaller is better, bigger is toxic. For a brief synopsis of where all that "stuff comes from,
http:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLBE5QAYXp8
Well worth a watch, shorter than 1/2 hr. sitcom. "
I love the Story of Stuff! I use it all the time to explain the problem with the foundation of our society/capitalism being based on endless consumption. The stuff comes FROM somewhere, it goes TO somewhere, it does not just appear fully-formed on the shelves and magically disappear when the trash man takes it. Every "thing" you buy has a direct impact on the world around you. I try to buy less, which having less helps with, but I still have a ways to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Or even this non-motorcycle related think piece...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygV25ny5riw
That was great! I definitely agree. I also think a lot of people get caught up in "what is good for individuals" vs "what is good for society". How does having a few extremely wealthy billionares while people are starving or sick without care help us as a society? Desire to become those billionares is an incentive, but an incentive to what? Consume more stuff? Spend more time working to get more money, and then what?

I am reminded of this joke:

Quote:
An American tourist was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked.

Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The tourist complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The tourist then asked, "Why didn't you stay out longer and catch more fish?"

The Mexican said, "With this I have more than enough to support my family's needs."

The tourist then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman said, "I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life."

The tourist scoffed, "I can help you. You should spend more time fishing; and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat: With the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats. Eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor; eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You could leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York where you could run your ever-expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But, how long will this all take?"

The tourist replied, "15 to 20 years."

"But what then?" asked the Mexican.

The tourist laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is right you would sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions?...Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Thanks for the link Ed. I've made two hours of it and it's quite interesting.

The best RR's on ADV are usually slightly off the wall from folks who are doing things we think about but never seem to get around to. They have an ability to take life as it comes and go for it. One that comes to mind was the lady from the northwest (a firefighter if I remember but her name/handle escapes me. SunnySideUp maybe?) who went to south america with three friends and through various incidents ended up doing the trip alone. She had an incredible soul and outlook that shone through the whole adventure. It wasn't just riding from point a to point b and it added so much to the read.

So let your freak flag fly and give us the full dose. It's good to experience things different from oneself.

John
Good point! I will try to do so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4brian View Post
Feyala
That is a long hike I hope everything is good. You have a style of writing as well as your way of looking at life. I hope to read many more of your posts.

Thanks

Brian
There will be many more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs3800 View Post
I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy.

Please don't. I am enjoying all of it.

subscribed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottago View Post
In!!!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaywardSon View Post
"I should probably stop rambling, because people are here for the RR, not Fey's Philosophy".

Nothing wrong with your philosophy. I retired from corporate America a couple of years ago....maybe too soon, but don't give a damn. Semi-retired now & working for myself. I may not have as much money, and the benefits sure suck, but I am happier and far more free. We get sucked in by money and benefits, and then held in the trap by possessions. Before we know it, twenty years have slipped away.

You are thinking straight and have a good attitude. I hope you find a balance in your life that you are happy with.

BTW........nice report
It's never too soon to drop out!

Congrats on getting out, and good luck in staying that way!

"Time is a wicked master, put your life into it's hand... close your eyes and it will crush you..."

I hope so too. It'd be great to not have my "money making time" be a slog of misery, but at least it's a small slog.

Quote:
Hey Fey! Did ya sell everything yet? Hope things are all right and that you can hit the road again soon
I still have a few motorcycle bits that need sold off but I'm not too worried, if it comes down to it I'll put an ad up that they're free and they'll disappear instantly. Right now it's just finishing those stupid mermite cans and painting the bike.

Sadly I don't think I'm going to be out of here in time for Wasteland Weekend, but there's always next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
Fey - Excellent R&R. Been a while since your last update so I hope everything is OK.
I'm in.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Man View Post
I agree whole heart about the way you see life and how to experience it ..how someone stays on the same job for the same company for 30 years is something I could never do .
I feel I missed somethings at home but was able to scratch that ich in my heels by driveing a truck for 30 years ..changeing jobs every 4 years or so when I would be tired of dealing with the same crap every day .
so I d be off to find some new crap to drive for
but being in the great outdoors and experienceing the seasons change before my eyes smelling the smells and meeting the people in every state tasteing the foods they eat the only part I missed was the being on a bike with the wind in my face .
I am retired and catching up on the road trips I missed one piece at a time ..I go for days without wearing a watch something I thought I would never do isn`t it great to not really give a damn what time it is .
Yeah I never understood that either, especially with how narrow and specialized jobs tend to be. It wouldn't be as bad if there were some variety, but it's always the same task, day in and day out, until I feel like I want to claw my face off to break the monotony, to feel like I'm alive.

I'd considered truck driving, but other people drive like shit, and it seems like a pretty demanding job. Not much time to really sit and enjoy the new area before moving on to someplace else either. I do find there's a lot of overlap between truckers and people who ride though, which definitely says something.

I am glad you are getting the opportunity to catch up on road trips. I haven't worn a watch in over a year, and it is fantastic. I don't even know what day of the week it is most of the time anymore.

Ride safe, and maybe I'll see you out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Spent the day with Fey in Corvallis Oregon. We replaced the steering head bearings and welded mounting brackets on the new skid plate her friend made for her. We got the skid plate bolted on but were a few bolts short of finishing the task so used zip ties for her ride north to her home.

I'm waiting for her to post her pictures from today.

Here are the two pictures I took.

Thanks for getting us dinner (pizza).
Dave
Oh no, spoilers! Haha, just kidding. It was great seeing you, and I will get to that entry soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I love your ride report and all that goes with it. And, that philosophy! Now that's word for word what I feel pretty much.....thanks much for taking all of the time that it surely takes for writing this up. It's super-cool.

Gary "Oldone"
No problem! Time is one thing I have plenty of! I am glad you enjoy it. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg MacD View Post
I had a wonderful time with that darn kick stand switch too, every time it would rain the bike would stumble, like it was missing....came to find out that when the switch got wet, it was cause a quick short to the engine and tried to stop it.....got that POS out of the loop and all has been good since.....BTW it was on a DR-Z 400.

Good luck!
Removed the kickstand switch recently. Hopefully with this shotgun approach to maintenance, if it wasn't one thing it'll be another thing that I fixed.. we'll see come the first rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Love the inside scoop on how to put together an awesome ride report! I welcome hearing about all the prep that goes into getting a bike road ready. Looking forward to more Feyala!
There will be much more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
Sounds like your pretty independent in the computer world and are well organized, best off not to mess with what works ...

I have had my pics replaced by bandwidth exceeded symbols a few times on Photobucket so I know what your talking about there, but other than that it has worked OK for me... If I was to run a more high end camera I might try something else that would bring up cleaner clearer images...
I'll probably try to streamline the process a little bit, before I go I will try to write at least one entry on the droid and see where my plan fails me. What's easy on a computer is not easy on a mobile sometimes...

I've heard good things about smugmug, but I can't rationalize the extra expenses when I already have webhosting that I'll be paying for regardless...

Quote:
Yeah... we know.
Patience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
In. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
Fey
It's good to see you in the saddle again. The video was great and Mark did a great job of getting you coming and going. Just 1 question, is that your DR that you are ridding? I don't remember it being red.
I am glad you liked the video! It was a bit hard to make it interesting, because I had basically a half hour of footage of me riding around, and Mark jetting on ahead - which was fun for me to watch, because he goes much faster, and seeing how somebody handles terrain you find challenging is always interesting, but not so much to other people.

And yep, bike's been red since I bought it. Not so much anymore though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguerin77 View Post
Wow, I am impressed! You are eloquent and driven. You must have some pretty cool parents.

I am in!
Thanks! My parents are pretty cool. They've been supportive through all of the crazy crap I've done, including flying to Denmark to live with people I'd only known from the internet and dropping me and a friend off at the pacific crest trail to stay out there for an indefinite period of time. (Though granted, I've always been headstrong, so I would have done these things regardless.) We definitely have our differences, and they don't really do anything dangerous, but they did foster an environment growing up where I could explore and do my own thing and I'd certainly have a lot more difficulty breaking out of lockstep if I didn't have that foundation.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #251
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whew! Man, let that be a lesson to me in not letting replies pile up!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #252
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Whew! Man, let that be a lesson to me in not letting replies pile up!
I was admiring you for replying to everyone.
I have to admit that I have occasionally let it slide. Hope they don't feel neglected now!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #253
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was admiring you for replying to everyone.
I have to admit that I have occasionally let it slide. Hope they don't feel neglected now!
Yeah, I let it slide too sometimes. Priorities and all. I do feel bad when I don't reply though, these are people that have taken time out of their lives to read something I've written and voice their thoughts on it, the least I can do is acknowledge and respond.

I hope that I can still manage to reply individually when all I've got is the droid, lol.

My plastics are painted finally! It took like a week but they look gorgeous. Now it's down to those stupid mermite cans...
Old 09-18-2012, 05:05 AM   #254
breakouttathemould
rather be ridin

Oddometer: 5
Laugh Ya can't buy it

Quote:
Time is one thing I have plenty of!
I think that's the key ...

Love your attitude. Love the RR.

More please!

breakouttathemould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #255
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hells Canyon - Dug Bar (June 15th)

Today was a day I had been looking forward to! John/asrvivor had generously offered to lead a group of us newbies to Dug Bar, a fairly infamous dirt road. I had been assured that after Hess, Dug Bar would be absolutely no problem, and I was beginning to gain a bit of confidence off road. This ride was intended to be leisurely, plenty of stops to take photos, and sounded right up my alley.

We gathered in front of the office and John explained the rules: try to honk if you want to pass somebody, if you hear somebody honking, try to get to the side if you can. Fair enough! We even had a "sweep" on this ride, so nobody got left behind, a concept I liked quite a bit. John had some extra gas he was carrying for some of the smaller displacement bikes - it was around 140 miles round trip. I was happy this wasn't a concern for me!

We rode in a thundering horde to Imnaha, where we regrouped along the side of the road.

Much of this road was quite gentle. There were some spots for sure, sharp curves at the bottom of an incline, or a few rocks here or there, but I seemed to be doing well enough. Dodging trucks and other vehicles was... annoying, to say the least, but them's the breaks. I took lots and lots of pictures. This area was gorgeous in it's own sort of harsh, dessicated way.

The road hugged the side of the mountains, dipping down to follow the river. There were various campsites along the way. I wondered how long the stay limit was. There were also a few residences, if I am not mistaken. I thought about what it would be like to live out here, 70 miles away from the nearest gas station, back in Enterprise or Joseph. I guess some folks enjoy their solitude. I wondered what it was like in the winter, with snow.

Along the way, at one of the many stops, we ran across the "fast group" on their way back up. They looked like they were having a blast as they zoomed past, and some stopped to chat. One member of our group dropped behind, he was having mechanical issues, and our sweep stayed behind to make sure he got help. Eventually Brian, one of the owners of the Log House RV Park where we were all staying, was summoned. He picked up the guy and his bike in his truck for nothing but the cost of gas. He ended up doing this a few times over the course of the rally for various folks, what an awesome guy! Take that, AAA!

In the last mile near the end of the line, the road went to hell. As seems to be the case with this sort of thing, I was too busy holding on for dear life to stop and take photos. The road until this point was fairly well packed dirt with some rocks here and there, big rocks, small rocks, mud puddles, pfft whatever. It turned into two ruts stuffed full of fist sized rocks with a narrow six-inch or so strip of dirt and grass in the middle.

I mentioned the cliff with the drop-off in case of failure right? Yeah.

I clung to the tiny patch of grass like I was walking a tightrope. On a motorcycle. Sometimes it would fling me off into the rocks, and I'd have to restrain my terror and try to creep back on to the center strip again. By this point I was second to last, PNW Buttercup/Sabrina was also taking her time and we stopped to admire the view together while I let my clutch hand have a rest.

Eventually we made it down to the river to meet up with the boys. It was getting pretty hot, especially in full gear going slow! I took my gear off and went to the river, stripping off socks and shoes to rest my bare feet in the ice cold water. BRR! Even still, I kind of wanted to swim, it was a great day for it! I soaked my bandana and socks and returned to the others.

Soon, all too soon, everybody started getting restless and preparing to go. I felt like we'd just gotten there! Usually when I fight to get to a place as nice as this, I spend a few days relaxing and enjoying myself. But, there was more riding to be had, and I didn't want to be stuck facing those nasty rocks by myself, so I geared back up and we got underway.

Usually, going uphill is easier than going downhill. You have more direct control over your inertia. These rocks had a different plan. I found myself skittering all over the road, and even my attempts at riding the Grass Line of Safety didn't help. Everybody tells me to loosen up, which I understand the concept – the tire needs to pick it's own path through the debris and will tend to pick the most stable one, whereas if you force it to go the way you choose, it will be less stable. However, I will say that after almost getting flung into a cliff wall by these rocks (better than the cliff edge, I suppose!), if I hadn't been keeping a firm handle on the bike, I would have dropped it or worse. I had to pause for a moment to adjust my line more than once, because at times any attempt at steering while in motion just bounced me closer to the wall.

Eventually, I met with success, and stopped for another break. We met some mountain goats that absolutely didn't want to get out of our way... I blared my horn at them and they just stared at us like "What? What are you going to do about it?". Eventually they sauntered off. John got a great photo of them!

Back at the bridge, I stopped again to cool my feet and bandana. I was wishing I'd brought along my water filter. All that nice, cold river water and no way to drink it. One liter was not enough, but I hadn't been expecting it to be quite this hot. When I returned to my bike, one of the others had gotten a flat tire and John was teaching him how to fix it. It occurred to me that I still don't have a patch kit, and I had left all my tools back at camp. Fat lot of good they'd do me there! I wasn't able to help without tools, so I left them to it.

I ran across Sabrina resting in the shade. She took this awesome picture of me:

I was out of water at this point, so I told her I was going to the Imnaha store, and hurried along.

At the store, I had a mini pizza and some delicious ice cold beverages. Sabrina eventually joined me and we chatted a bit. I had wanted to take Camp Creek Road back, with the others, but I was pretty exhausted from the trip and didn't see John, so we opted for pavement instead.

Everybody seemed very proud of me for making it down Dug Bar, which helped boost my confidence, and I was proud of myself. It was not an easy road for that last stretch. It's difficult to gauge your progress when most of the others around you have been riding dirt for years. I felt fairly out of control, like the bike was riding me, and I didn't like that. I do need to work on letting go, but I also felt like maybe the bike was veering more than it should. I mentioned this to the others, and they suggested that it might be deflection.

I enjoyed a nice free hot shower and passed the hell out.

Thanks John, for all the work that went into this ride, planning, taking photos of us, carrying gas and fixing flats!