Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #331
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Yea!
How does it feel to be up to date?
I have enjoyed your adventures and hope to read of more in the future.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #332
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 982
Haha Fey, recognize where this is?
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #333
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Fey,

The bike looks great all loaded up. Seems like you are good and prepared to head "south". You have a destination in mind, or just "wandering"? Looking forward to your continued adventures.

Good idea on a covering for that tank vs. painting. Those "clear" tanks outgass and i've seen some f'd up paint and vinyl jobs on those tanks because of it. You might also consider tank panniers. Here's an some "idea ingrediants"...

http://www.tankvest.com/
http://www.bagster.com/en/protege-reservoir.php
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html

Keep up the good work.

-= Scott

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #334
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
That's certainly strange. Made me think of the furry robot from yesteryear: the furby

Bikes looking good. Keep it coming!

John
Ahahaha. Those things. One of my roommates got one of those recently and was playing games with it. I'd forgotten how creepy they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Hey Feyala,

You've been a busy gal!

Lots of riding.
Lots of wrenching.
Lots of modifying.
Lots of fabricating.
Lots of writing.
Lots of painting.
Lots of adventuring!

Love the paint job! That really looks great.

Thank you so much for taking us along.

Ride safe, Rob
Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it! Yeah, the writing alone is eating up a surprising amount of my time, but at least from here on out I've got a clean plate. My projects are done and it's time to hit the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Awwww, I lived in Port Townsend a short while, it was a lovely town with great people!
Hope you stopped at the Co-op there
No, but the Safeway there had the best selection of vegetarian foods I've ever seen in a chain store. I didn't stay long enough to explore, but maybe I should next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Feyala,

I have been enjoying your report; you write very well!

You remind me of my friend in Oakland. She also has a DR650 as her primary transport, is a vegetarian, and is also a fearless rider. She rode her bike from Ohio to California last year and did a write-up for ADVrider.

Wanted to mention that a lot of DR people remove the upper chain rollers. They are not really needed, and the mounting boss on the frame can actually break out of the frame, leaving a dime sized hole. YMMV...

Regards,
Harry
Thanks Harry! Your friend sounds interesting! I wonder if I'll stumble across her someday, haha!

Yeah, I've heard that some people remove them, and Ed suggested I do that too, and move the nice one with bearings to the lower roller position. I figure I'll keep an eye on it and if it seems likely to fail, I'll remove it, but I figure that with as cheap as these manufacturers are, if there was absolutely zero reason for the roller, it wouldn't exist. And the old one wouldn't have been so worn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaduc View Post
Yea!
How does it feel to be up to date?
I have enjoyed your adventures and hope to read of more in the future.
Feels great man! Now I can go forward without looking back!

Quote:
Haha Fey, recognize where this is?
Did you go to the Hoh forest too? :)

Today I leave Portland. Responses from here on out will be delayed, and further updates will be made from the road. Time to go SOUTH FOR THE WINTER! HELL YEAH!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #335
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Fey,

The bike looks great all loaded up. Seems like you are good and prepared to head "south". You have a destination in mind, or just "wandering"? Looking forward to your continued adventures.

Good idea on a covering for that tank vs. painting. Those "clear" tanks outgass and i've seen some f'd up paint and vinyl jobs on those tanks because of it. You might also consider tank panniers. Here's an some "idea ingrediants"...

http://www.tankvest.com/
http://www.bagster.com/en/protege-reservoir.php
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-tank-panniers.html

Keep up the good work.

-= Scott
Thank you!

Just wandering. My friend Cypher is heading to Bishop for a week in a couple days, I'll probably try to meet up with her there, and then I was considering attempting Saline Valley to check out the springs (and weirdos), since that's nearby. I wouldn't mind spending more time in Slab City, and I didn't get to see Joshua Tree last time, so I'll probably do that too. Other than that, my loose plans currently involve maybe trying to catch up with Parepin in the southwest, hitting up Verde hot springs in AZ, visiting my parents, and keeping my eye out for new adventures. Parepin mentioned an idea he had to greet the "Mayan End of the World" at an actual mayan temple, and I think that's the best idea ever, even though I don't believe in that shit, so I might see if I can pull that off. I'm open to suggestions!

I may try to find a bit of an income, I've still got a couple grand, and that should last me a decent while, but August 6th marked a year of unemployment, and fixing everything up was a lot more expensive than I thought it would be (all that small shit from Procycle really adds up!). I'll keep my ears open, something always presents itself.

Most of my "plans" are like this. Loose ideas that I act on when the opportunity arises. It works though, because I'm terrible at guessing how long things will actually take to get done! I thought getting this thing up to date would only take a couple hours, not a couple days!

The tank vest is closest to what I had in mind. I'd also seen this which seemed a good idea. In any case, I definitely want something that incorporates a tank bag, I keep my camera in my motorcycle pants pocket, and sometimes it can be a pain to fish it out quickly. I'll probably frankenstein together some military surplus gear and bargain bin fabric at some point, lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #336
NomadGal
Esther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post

Did you go to the Hoh forest too? :)
Yup!
Old 10-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #337
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Camera

About your camera. I like to take a lot of pics when I'm riding and want quick access to the camera. For several years now I have kept it on an old boot lace around my neck. When I'm not using it it lives in the left breast pocket of my coat. From here I can even pull it out with my left hand and take a pic while riding. If something unexpected comes up and I need two hands on the bars I can simply drop the camera knowing the lanyard will catch it against my stomach.

After trial and error I made the boot lace just long enough to go over my helmet. Too many times I put the helmet on and then wanted to put the too small loop over it.

Some have told me this is a bad idea in the event you fall/crash and land on the camera. I'll take my chances. Just something to be aware of.

John
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #338
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Hey Fey, you should've scooped up some of that seafoam from the sea to put it into your tank, it may have helped with your running issues!
Kernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #339
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

That was short-lived!

Aimed for the coast, drowned for two days in rain, then made it to eugene and now the bike won't start. It won't even try to click over.

I checked:
all fuses
all kill switches
found and repaired a wiring issue with the rear left turn signal (connection loose and full of water)
emptied float bowl in case it was flooded

Nada. Oh and the hiccup is worse.

Given the starter was sounding like a strangled elk a few days ago, I am guessing it might have given up the ghost. :(

Trying to find crash space and somewhere to tear down/ use a multimeter around here. If nothing else, Coug can drag me back to Portland, but I hate backtracking. How humiliating, lol. Oh well. I guess it's all part of the adventure!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #340
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey Fey something occurred to me today. Have you done the NSU fix in your bike? It's very important to do, wouldn't want a screw falling out, destroying the engine and locking up the rear wheel in the process sending you off a cliff or something.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #341
NomadGal
Esther

Quote:
Aimed for the coast, drowned for two days in rain, then made it to eugene and now the bike won't start. It won't even try to click over.

I checked:
all fuses
all kill switches
found and repaired a wiring issue with the rear left turn signal (connection loose and full of water)
emptied float bowl in case it was flooded

Nada. Oh and the hiccup is worse.

Given the starter was sounding like a strangled elk a few days ago, I am guessing it might have given up the ghost. :(

Trying to find crash space and somewhere to tear down/ use a multimeter around here. If nothing else, Coug can drag me back to Portland, but I hate backtracking. How humiliating, lol. Oh well. I guess it's all part of the adventure!
I can't remember if your battery is new or not. I am starting to wonder if you have a short somewhere that might be really active in rain, and draining your battery. ??? It's frustrating not knowing!!!! At least I can sympathize!
Glad you have help nearby, and no, it is not humiliating! I've finally reconciled myself to the fact that most knowledge is not gained instantly, grrrrr, even though I wished it was.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #342
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I fixed it!!!!

And I figured it out by myself!

It took a lot of testing... I learned to use a multimeter! But eventually I figured out that it was the switch itself. Once I knew what it was, fixing it was easy. It's a bit worse for wear but it works!

I resume my southward travel tomorrow. I will update properly in Bishop, where I'll be spending a week or so.

I am so happy!
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #343
Kernel
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I fixed it!!!!

And I figured it out by myself!

It took a lot of testing... I learned to use a multimeter! But eventually I figured out that it was the switch itself. Once I knew what it was, fixing it was easy. It's a bit worse for wear but it works!

I resume my southward travel tomorrow. I will update properly in Bishop, where I'll be spending a week or so.

I am so happy!
Well done, now what about those NSU screws?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #344
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
Well done, now what about those NSU screws?
PO said he did them already. They are on my list to check when I eventually need to get into the case. In the meantime, I keep a close eye on the neutral light.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #345
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
About your camera. I like to take a lot of pics when I'm riding and want quick access to the camera. For several years now I have kept it on an old boot lace around my neck. When I'm not using it it lives in the left breast pocket of my coat. From here I can even pull it out with my left hand and take a pic while riding. If something unexpected comes up and I need two hands on the bars I can simply drop the camera knowing the lanyard will catch it against my stomach.

After trial and error I made the boot lace just long enough to go over my helmet. Too many times I put the helmet on and then wanted to put the too small loop over it.

Some have told me this is a bad idea in the event you fall/crash and land on the camera. I'll take my chances. Just something to be aware of.

John
That actually sounds like a good idea. I may have to experiment with a disposable of some variety. My main camera is the droid - doubles as mini laptop, gps, and everything else, so I can't really experiment much with it.

I wonder if they make any super cheap cameras with bluetooth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
Hey Fey, you should've scooped up some of that seafoam from the sea to put it into your tank, it may have helped with your running issues!
Haha! I do add seafoam-inna-can to my tank sometimes... it does seem to help!

Quote:
I can't remember if your battery is new or not. I am starting to wonder if you have a short somewhere that might be really active in rain, and draining your battery. ??? It's frustrating not knowing!!!! At least I can sympathize!
Glad you have help nearby, and no, it is not humiliating! I've finally reconciled myself to the fact that most knowledge is not gained instantly, grrrrr, even though I wished it was.
Not a new battery, don't know how old it is. I should probably check the date sometime.

Maybe water kept getting in the start button and bridging the contacts while moving? I dunno. We'll see if this fixed the hiccup too...

I hate not knowing how to fix stuff already. Lacking that knowledge is not a personal failing but when it comes to myself, I kinda feel like it is. I keep learning more, and am grateful for that, but I want to be at the point where I know what's wrong and am confident in my ability to fix it quickly. I have several friends like this and I envy them.

The best I can aim for now is to not make the same mistake twice. In some areas of my life this is easier said than done!