User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #586
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
China Garden to Panamint (Oct 28th)

China garden was a surprising, cool oasis in the desert. It had trees, reeds, and even goldfish!

Nip decided to take a seat and share a snack with them. The fish seemed surprisingly well-fed for being in such an otherwise barren environment.

Relieving myself of my jacket, I explored the nearby foundations, and tried to imagine what buildings used to be here.

One of them bore the plaque, "In memory of Willy Saurer", but it seemed likely to have been placed there recently.

I followed tiny mule hoofprints over a hill, where I discovered an old mining shack.

When I returned to the oasis, Pete was thirsty, and wanted to try out his new water filtration straw. He looked a bit silly, but hey, whatever works! I won't be trading my water filter in any time soon.

We wandered back to the bikes, and noticed that Nip had a flat tire. A challenge! We quickly set to work. I liked the adjustable side stand Pete had to help prop up the bike.

Nip had never changed a tire before, so it was kinda fun to show him the ropes. I sat back and took pictures for the most part, because there's only so many hands you need to take off a tire.

Next step was finding the leak, glad we had that pond to help us out! The spot to be patched looked as though it had been worn down, via friction or otherwise, it was not a nice clean puncture hole. Strange.

Nip patched it up. I helped a bit with getting the tube back in and the tire back on the rim. Pete aired it up with his compressor, and we were good to go!

To get to Panamint, we would have to go up a soft, deep gravel trail which we had seen earlier. I was not so sure about this part, as it seemed fairly difficult. Pete tried to reassure my concerns, saying that it would probably level out soon after.

Yeah, about that...

Because I am a sissy and was too afraid to stand up and lean forward, my rear tire kept digging into the gravel and swam through it, instead of fishtailing along on top. At one point, the road got a bit steeper and this happened.

I couldn't get the kickstand down, so I just left it, wedged there in the gravel, giving a desperate little laugh about the situation as I took photos. Pete and Nip came back to help me, and as I hopped on the bike, I forgot that the kickstand wasn't down and fell over. Awesome.

(Thanks for the photo, Pete!)

So, now what? "Get on and gas it, we'll push you out of the hole!" Uhh. What. This was something I'd never had to deal with, and concerns flew through my mind. Would the bike roll backwards and hurt somebody? Would rocks come flying out? Would I careen forward madly and injure myself? I ignored them and tried to focus. Lean forward. Gas it.. stall. Restart, slowly let out the clutch... and I'm free! I fishtailed my way past where their bikes were parked and slowly puttered on.

The road kept climbing higher and higher. The gravel got a bit less terrible. Maybe the hard part is over!

God damnit.

I'll admit it, I panicked here. "What the fuck? THE ROAD IS MISSING! HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO THIS?!" They moved some rocks into the dip at the top of the crack and pointed to the right-hand side. They joked with me, but I wasn't in a very joking mood. This was serious! I could get injured! I could fall in that hole! The road was GONE!

I gunned it and after a few halting blips of the throttle, managed to make it to safety. I was almost shaking with adrenaline, and had to stop and calm down before I could continue. At least the views were nice.

We continued along, the gravel reappearing as the road began to slant downwards. It wasn't nearly as bad as the deep, soft stuff we'd encountered earlier.

Just as I started to think it was safe, we encountered the Fucking Scary Hill. Even Nip took his time on this one, dabbing and riding the brakes as he tried to pick his way around the bigger rocks. This was the first time while riding, that my brakes have been unable to completely hold me. Even with the brakes on, I was slowly sliding due to the loose, sketchy terrain. The sheer drop off to the left didn't help things. It felt like the first time I was sitting at the top of a log ride, wide-eyed and nervous.

I kept slipping, which threw me off balance and made me more afraid. In desperation, I tried the obvious advice everybody gives novice dirt riders and which none of them listen to: ease up on the brakes and let the engine slow you down. I didn't want to go that fast down this hill, so I still tapped on the brakes, but I stopped sliding, which made me feel more in control. Eventually I made it past the worst of this.

Past that initial drop, the road was still gravelly, with rocks to avoid, but it was not nearly as steep or loose. Emboldened by my success, I began to brake less, and less, aiming it and hoping for the best. This was the first time I've ever felt more stable with less braking. The road curled around and around, winding its way to the bottom. At one point, I passed Nip, who was braking more than I was. I considered this a minor victory.

We stopped briefly at the trailhead to Panamint Springs, but the sun was beginning to set, so we decided to give it a pass. The road from the trailhead to the highway was quite a bit nicer, and I stood up for most of it. At the end of the dirt was a large dip, which I managed with ease, and I'm sure I would have almost looked like I knew what I was doing if anybody had been bothering to watch.

I was exhausted, but proud that we'd managed to conquer the road. Pete and I stopped for some pictures with the setting sun.

Thumbs up for Death Valley!

Further along, Nip flagged me down, and I awkwardly pulled off onto the soft shoulder. He pointed out a light-colored, squiggly trail in the distance. "See that? That's the road we were just on! I thought you might want to take a picture." Damn straight!

I even took a panorama. I love how this place looks in the setting sunlight.

Both Nip and Pete sped off, wanting to get back to Lone Pine before it got dark. I went a bit slower, enjoying the glorious twisties carving around the side of the canyon. In the last of the setting sunlight, the moon began to rise, and I couldn't help but take a picture of the twilight. It was long dark by the time I hit town.

We had pizza in Lone Pine and discussed the day. Pete called it a "trial by fire". Absolutely. Even though we didn't go as far as we wanted, and I could have done better in thousands of ways, it was a good day. Every time I bite off more than I can chew, survive, and face down my fear, it is a success.

Pete's account of this adventure can be found here, with a lot more pictures!
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #587
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
Good info on prepping your DR and a tool kit.. This guy rounded most of the world on his DR. He tells you about things that worked as well as those that didn't.

http://shortwayround.co.uk/suzuki/

Also check the http://drriders.com/ site. Good info and helpful folks. Much easier than digging around the adv dr thread.
Thanks for the links! Yeah, I've definitely searched the second site when I have stupid questions (I have a lot of them). For some reason I never really joined up though. Seems like a smaller community I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Not sure if we're still talking costs of travel and camping, but I camped throughout Baja, Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala, and Copper canyon without a single issue. Never was I interrupted at night except once I had a nice visitor in the morning. He was just curious what I was doing because I was way the hell off the beaten path where travelers are pretty much non-existant. This was just north of Guatemala in the mountains with the coffee farmers. Because my Spanish sucks I simply waved, wished him a good morning, and smiled. He looked at my me, my tent, and my bike and then left with a smile.

99% of the Mexican I met were excited and thrilled for me to be visiting and exploring their country. They really are a very good group of people. More then I can say about other countries. . .

Costs were around 20-45$ a day, 10 or more of that was spent on gas (I get around 50MPG on my XR650R). Copper Canyon and Baja are slightly more expensive then other areas. Still cheaper then the states (especially hotels, etc).

Tires aren't cheap in Mexico. Put on a fresh tire before you go. I paid 150 for a Pirreli MT21 in Puerto Vallarta. I saw the same tire for around 100$ though in Guatemala (a few days AFTER I finally installed the MT21 I was carrying around in Tikal... grr). I had the border guards and police laughing at my bald Desert IT even. Once again, good group of people.
It's always great to get info from people that have been there, so thank you! Those costs are not bad at all.

Kinda funny how the stories from people who have actually been there are almost always positive, and the stories from people who have never been there are always negative...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
When you ask to BUY say 5 oz of flour, tell them you cannot carry 1/2 lbs worth with you (truth), you'll usually get the flour free (and a cup of coffee but you'll have to talk for 20 minutes about yourself and trip ).

Yep .. the 'certified' gas can thing can be a problem. Here they want to stop kids sniffing it! Try to explain, you may end up with the mechanic giving you somewhere to work.
Hmmm. Good advice with the flour. It wouldn't occur to me to just go up to a mechanic and ask, though. Is this actually successful? I feel kind of weird going up to places of business and asking for something that would inconvenience them (it's a trend, I don't like to feel like I'm a bother?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer67 View Post
I think you have it down pat already: rural area, find a track heading off the current road, and go a half mile or more if possible.
I generally prefer to find somewhere just before dark (definitely earlier than you often seem to do ) if only because it makes it easier to see what you have found. Not always fun trying to turn around on a dirt track that peters out into a house, or a swamp, when you only have the headlight to work with.
One use I do appreciate a GPS for, zoom in and let it tell you of an offshoot coming up (assuming maps). Especially handy if you have left it too late and darkness is upon you, because it is often hard to see a turn-off while zooming along at normal road speed.
Yeah, it's much easier to spot places if I start before dark, but I get up late, so that's how it ends up happening. In Mexico I definitely need to get an earlier start to the day so that doesn't happen, a wide variety of bad stuff happens at night. I do have GPS in the form of my Droid and pre-downloading map files (not sure the best solution for this in Mexico), but I don't have a mount for it, so I have to stop and look. Better than nothing though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
If we're talking Latin America, it's much harder to find uninhabited locations. That being said they don't really care, but just curious.

I found out no matter how far I was in the back country, I'd always end up finding somebody!
Hopefully my spanish is somewhat helpful there! "Lo siento, solo queria un lugar para mi carpa..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
That's some seriously good advice! Been there, done that ... in the dark that is ... I Ended up in someones outdoor toilet.
Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
"Back in the Day", as us old farts like to say......we were in Baja somewhere around Colonet after dark and the fog hit us hard. Visibility was around 20 feet and that was back when Hwy 1 was dirt. We managed to find a track heading off and wound up sleeping in some farmers freshly plowed field, as we discovered the following morning. Now we camp before it gets dark.

Keep it coming Fey.
But did you find that out from the daylight or the farmer?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #588
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

Enjoying the RR, you have guts venturing "out there" with a thin safety net.

Missing brake bolts, rough running motor, you keep moving along. Admirable.
Glad you're enjoying it, and thanks! Either I go out there or it doesn't happen, the adventure isn't going to come to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Well reported, Fey. She's not lying. That's what it was like.

I was surprised that she didn't drop her bike at least once. I thought that Fay being short would cause her problems at the super careful slow speeds. In her favor is that she is strong so when the bike is a little tippy she can keep it up with just a tip toe on the ground.

I really enjoyed my day with her and Nip.....and I should have listened to Nip a lot sooner on routing directions, after all Nip lives there and has a very good instinct about the geography. He kept saying that, if the suns over there then we need to go that way. And he was right.

I hope to be reading RRs soon of you burning up new roads to write about, Fey.
Thanks again (again again?) for shepherding me along on those rides. I had a blast and definitely wouldn't have done them alone. As for new roads, soon, soon! After the next post is Saline Valley, which was fun. Hopefully I can keep the number of photos I post of sand to a minimum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
Great RR Fey! I'm in for the long haul now. Lot's of poeple made great comments about you tank slapper situation with respect on how to fix it. One thing no one said (I think) was that, you can make all the adjustments in the world to fix it, and it may be fixed for a time, but, as soon and you change your loads weight distribution ( ie take the cans off, add tank bag, fork bag, etc) you change the geometry of the bike and you will be back to square one.

Bottom line, you tank slapper happened at 80 MPH. Even though those bikes are capable of that speed, they were never designed to do that speed. All the TS's that I have been made aware of ( and I've seen and heard many) were made at speeds in excess of 70 MPH.

I suggest you find a good set up that balances you harmonics for the bike while loaded ( after you find the best way to load ) and keep your speed to the limit or below, and you will never have another TS again.

Looking forward to reading more of your life onthe road. Stay safe, and happy new year.
Yeah, being able to do 85+ without issue at various times (Oklahoma to Phoenix for example, all day for 3 days) with lighter luggage lulled me into a false sense of security, and I'll admit that I seriously underestimated how much impact adding some weight to the rear would have.

I am not a speed demon, and as I've said, for the most part I am doing at or slightly above (less than 10 over) the speed limit - 80 in this case was from trying to pass a slow (10 under) semi without being creamed by people oncoming several miles down the highway. I really don't like being in the oncoming lane, or having to keep looking to see if I've passed a vehicle yet, because looking away from where you're going in those situations is how you get clipped by somebody and die.

It's definitely been a learning experience about the risks of such a maneuver, and something I will consider when I overtake vehicles in the future. From the advice of people here, I feel like I'm more likely to understand how to deal with it, if it does show up again, but I hope I never have to find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTON PHIL View Post
Have a happy new Fey and safe riding. I am really enjoying you ride report and so is my 15 year old daughter
Hey thanks, glad you're enjoying it! Say hi for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerron View Post
Linked over from Hell's Canyon. Looks like a goodun that may consume some time.

Better late than never, right?
Absolutely! But I don't see you on the "in" list? You should go if you can, it's a great gathering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
LOL, I'd get killed! I'm a bit slow on the draw!
At least I know now what to do, think it will be easier the next time, even though I am fervently hoping that there will be no next time. But then again, 9,000 miles from now I am going to need a new tire again.
You know how to do it now, and that's half the battle! If you're anything like me, next time you will forget what order the steps are in, and struggle slightly less, and the third time you will remember most of it and do okay. Like most things... practice! Though yes, I too am hoping you don't have random flat tires! :) Do you carry a patch kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RSV View Post
I was looking at getting one of these with an SAE plug but I think I can find something similar at an auto parts store for cheaper. Need to make sure it has a transformer to step it down from 12v obviously. We'll see! Glad you're enjoying it so far!

And now I am up to date with replies! Yesss!

... Now I just need to get up to date with the ride report...
Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 AM   #589
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
as always, loving your ride report. Can you make your pictures larger?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:47 AM   #590
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
The pictures are a link. Click on them and they get bigger.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #591
2000RSV
Go Fast, Go Long

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I was looking at getting one of these with an SAE plug but I think I can find something similar at an auto parts store for cheaper. Need to make sure it has a transformer to step it down from 12v obviously.
That looks like a better solution. Good luck with it.
2000RSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #592
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 982
Yep Fey, I do carry a patch kit for sure! Part of me is wondering about tubeless tires, those you just plug! Very tempting!!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #593
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000RSV View Post
The pictures are a link. Click on them and they get bigger.
Would it be easier to see that they're links if the pictures had a border or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Yep Fey, I do carry a patch kit for sure! Part of me is wondering about tubeless tires, those you just plug! Very tempting!!
Tempting for sure, but then you're stuck always having to find tubeless tires, which is why I haven't gone that route. Plus the initial cost of conversion. I've only gotten one flat in two years of riding so far, and it was discovered in the garage. Hopefully that luck holds out!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #594
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,577
Hello Feyala

Found your RR,really enjoying it,you just can't go wrong with a Dr650,I am currently testing a older KLR and so far so good,when the bike gives up the next experiment will be a DR.I used to live on a small sailboat and travel its amazing how closely related the concept of "go cheap so you can go"is connected between bikes and boats.Enjoy Mark
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #595
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Would it be easier to see that they're links if the pictures had a border or something?

Tempting for sure, but then you're stuck always having to find tubeless tires, which is why I haven't gone that route. Plus the initial cost of conversion. I've only gotten one flat in two years of riding so far, and it was discovered in the garage. Hopefully that luck holds out!
Sorry Girls! You still need tubes even in tubless tires if you are installing them on bikes which have spoked rims. The air will leak out all the spoke holes! Yes there are ways of converting spoked rims to tubless but it is somewhat complicated and a pain. Tubes are not that bad to patch.IMO
Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #596
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,672
WOW....don't know how I've managed to miss this one for so long.....

IN!

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #597
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Found your RR,really enjoying it,you just can't go wrong with a Dr650,I am currently testing a older KLR and so far so good,when the bike gives up the next experiment will be a DR.I used to live on a small sailboat and travel its amazing how closely related the concept of "go cheap so you can go"is connected between bikes and boats.Enjoy Mark
Yeah, it was a tossup between the KLR and the DR for me, but the DR is a bit lighter and without watercooling, a bit simpler as well. I haven't regretted my purchase in the slightest. :)

I haven't ever lived on a boat, but I did once live in a silver streak with 3 other people, and a lot of the "everything in its place" and "condense and simplify" style of packing and storage is quite similar. Glad to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
Sorry Girls! You still need tubes even in tubless tires if you are installing them on bikes which have spoked rims. The air will leak out all the spoke holes! Yes there are ways of converting spoked rims to tubless but it is somewhat complicated and a pain. Tubes are not that bad to patch.IMO
Regards....just jeff
Yeah Jeff, the conversion is what I was talking about, sending the wheels off to Woody's or installing a TUbliss system with rim locks or whatever the trend is these days. I don't get flats often enough for it to be worth the drawbacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
WOW....don't know how I've managed to miss this one for so long.....

IN!
Glad to have you along Patrick! Hope you enjoy!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #598
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Goodbye Pete & Nip's Art (Oct 29th)

Pete was busy packing when I got up this morning. Sadly, it was time for him to return to his normal life. On the up side, this was a good opportunity for me to get a closer look at how his gear is set up. The backpack panniers are a nice touch.

Surprisingly, Pete uses a bike to tow his bike. I'd seen pictures of things like this before, but I'd never gotten an up close and personal look. Nip helped him load the dirt bike onto the trailer.

Of course, I had the usual questions. How does it handle? What kind of gas mileage do you get towing that thing? What happens if you need to stop? He seemed pretty happy with his setup. It handles decently, though the gas mileage while towing left much to be desired. Braking was assisted with this:

He had some unique solutions to problems on the road. My favorite was probably his SAE-powered electric thermos.

He had a number of switches to control power to his accessories, a bit clunky looking, but beats the hell out of an accidentally-dead battery!

On the dirt bike, his navigation was old school, a scrolling paper roll with directions.

With the last of Pete's stuff attached to his bikes, I gathered them both together for a picture. Thanks for a great time guys! I learned a LOT!

Bye Pete! Ride safe!

With Pete gone, I had to figure out what to do with the rest of my day. I decided to catch up with the internet. My plans were in the air. I started thinking about Rob's recommendation that I visit Saline Valley if I ever got the chance, and did some research on the current road conditions. A friend of mine, who wanted to climb Mount Whitney with me, wouldn't be ready for another week, so I had time to kill. Could I do it?

Well, why the hell not? It couldn't possibly be worse than the last few days...

Hmm.

I walked back to Nip's place, grabbed my dirty clothes, and visited a laundromat nearby. I did more research and downloaded maps. Nip visited for a bit and we talked about Saline Valley, and he agreed that it was a great place and was definitely worth visiting, although he seemed concerned about me doing it solo. He'd spent a winter there once, years ago.

Eventually I wandered back to Nip's, put my clothes away, and found him railing away at his drums in time to the radio. We chatted for a bit. "Have you ever sat at a drum kit?" "No, not really..." "I only ask because nobody ever let me sit at one and it took me buying one for myself to find out I liked it." I sat down, and he gave me the basics. "Hit the big drum with your foot, then hit one of the smaller drums with your hand. It's simple. Foot, hand, foot, hand. The basic rhythm was indeed easy, but when I tried to bring my other hand into it, the foot would falter. It felt like trying to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time. Takes practice, I guess. Nip got on another set of drums (bongos?) and played along. We had fun.

Pete had mentioned that if I got the opportunity, I should ask Nip to see his portfolio, as he was once a professional animator. I worked up the courage to ask, and he laid it out on a table for me. I'll admit surprise at what I saw.

He had a long and interesting career in animation, working on many of the shows that I had watched growing up.

It was a bit surreal. His resumé was impressive, he'd worked on everything from She-Ra to Scooby-Doo. His personal art was fantastic as well, but I feel that it might be an invasion of privacy to post it publically.

I made my way back to the garage and asked him about his art. "I was another person then." His brows furrowed and he seemed a bit sad. He described how he used to want to make a difference with cartoons, but eventually was disillusioned by the industry. We spoke about love lost, greed in the business, politics and government. I found this in his portfolio too:

He seemed to be happy with the new life he'd built after he abandoned animation. He owns his house, has few bills, and lives in peace in a beautiful, small town. It seems such a shame that people can be chewed up and spat out by something they enjoy. "If you do go to Saline Valley, I did the art on the bathroom walls. You know, if you're interested." We bid each other goodnight.

I fell asleep with plans to head to Saline Valley the next day.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #599
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Some recent tooth sensitivity has led to the discovery that my wisdom teeth are pretty fucked up, so I'm going to need to get that looked at. I'm planning on scheduling a consultation at a dental school-run facility (half price!) on Monday. They will likely need extraction, if the dental school won't do them at rates I feel are reasonable, I'll be looking at my options in Mexico.
Mexico is highly recommended for dental work. Even the border towns are good ... but do research, ask around to find the best Docs. I'm not a fan of Dental Schools ... I've used them in the past.

They now even do Implants in Mexico. I had some filings and a crown done for about 1/4 the US cost. Wisdom teeth require a real oral surgeon. They knock you out. Only way to go, IMHO. Ask around for advice. Some Wisdom's come out easy ... some can be very difficult and turn into a disaster if a student is trying to do it.

Quote:
I found a 32mm socket and tightened the steering stem nut, it was a bit loose, but I have not been on a test ride to see if it is tightened appropriately yet.
The top nut will not affect head bearing tension ... but if the big but is loose you may feel movement under braking as the whole steering stem can "wiggle" a bit.
Head bearings are under the big top nut and under the top triple clamp.
Best let an expert finely adjust them. Probably are fine ... might need a bit of grease.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 02:31 PM   #600
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Giant Loop looks like a nice tight package but I question how easy it is to get to stuff. I just remember how much of my day was involved with doing and undoing tarp straps on the first leg of the trip (drybags count as soft luggage right?), and I will skip that again if possible.
I'm not a Giant Loop fan. Suited more for dirt bikes who go out for a few days. And digging into them? Really hard to find what you need.

The DR is plenty capable of carrying regular saddlebags. If properly mounted ... they work great for me and never move. Dry bags are great too. Packing and organizing how things go in the bike is an Art I'm still learning. I like these bags for Long Range Travel on the DR. A bit small ... and I've now upgraded. Good bags have compartments for helping organize and ease access.

I now have these same Nelson-Rigg panniers ... (this is not my bike). These are big enough for everything. Or you could go smaller like the above tourmaster bags shown on my bike. The Nelson-Rigg I found here in Flea Market for $100 ... near new.
Choices Choices!
Quote:
WD40 I have heard can have some negative effect on the o-rings, which is why I use kerosene when I can.
Odorless Kero is the way ... BTW, I've used WD40 on chains for over 20 years ... I get 25,000 miles on my DR chain. (DID VM-2) WD does not harm O rings. Myth.

No reason to be overly paranoid in Mexico ... just sensible. When the Mama- cita invites you home ... you are safe.

Quote:
Any particular bakery delights you'd suggest I try?
Just start trying stuff. Trata uno, hay muchos ... me gusta Orejas.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote