Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #721
Candiya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Oofff - I just found your report last week and finally finished all 48 pages. Your writing style drew me in, and I found myself staying up later than normal night after night, trying to read "just one more post" before bed.

As others have said, thank you for the time and effort you put into these posts. And thank you for being open about your struggles as well as your successes. It is inspiring to read your story. While I don't have the courage to go as far solo as you, I'm planning my first small solo trip in a few months. Seeing your reactions when things don't go as planned has reassured me that, while life isn't always perfect, we can make it through the unexpected when armed with patience and a sense of humor.

Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey. I'm subscribed and happy to be (virtually) riding pillion with you!
Candiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #722
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post
I'm currently in Iowa and on my way to eastern Oregon for the Hell's Canyon rally.
Hey Fey, glad to finally hear from you, was getting worried there!!
I wished the Hells canyon ride was earlier so that afterward we could meet up and have you go with me to Alaska.
Did you get a passport yet???Careful with those tornadoes, Iowa is awesome, I love it there!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #723
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadGal View Post
Hey Fey, glad to finally hear from you, was getting worried there!!
I wished the Hells canyon ride was earlier so that afterward we could meet up and have you go with me to Alaska.
Did you get a passport yet???Careful with those tornadoes, Iowa is awesome, I love it there!
I still have no idea what I'm doing after the HC rally. I'm not opposed to heading up to Alaska, but I'm not set up to deal with bears either. It'd be neat to ride with you again though! You're good company.

My old passport was considered "damaged" because some water got on it, even though it was completely legible, so they are making me apply for one from scratch. I had my parents send me my birth certificate with my registration so I am hoping to figure something out on the road. There's a passport acceptance facility in Seattle, I could probably just camp in the woods nearby until I can get that sorted out. I wonder what they need for "proof of travel within 5 days" for the will-call service... perhaps campground registration confirmation would count instead of a hotel? I wonder if they call the hotel to check? Hmmm...

Oh, and I am outside of Lincoln, NE. Tomorrow's going to be a looooong day, but I hope to be in Denver by the end of it.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #724
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,656
Hotel bookings
You can always book a cheap hotel - pick one that is popular .. then cancel .. you may get a cancellation fee .. check before you book. But officials have been known to be human and accept that I'm camping and not traveling with a group. Some places officially want an exit air ticket .. bit difficult if your riding out on the bike.

Passports... 'they' may take the old passport as part proof of identity. Here in OZ they just take the money for a 'fast' service. If you want faster than that then you have to explain the reason/s why ..

Good Luck.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #725
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Replies, replies, replies...

In the interest of expediating 7 pages of replies, I am going to skip the "how to ride" posts from page 42. I DO appreciate all the advice though. I'll get it one of these days, I just need more practice, and I need to find a safe spot to do drills. Some singletrack experience on a lighter, unloaded bike would also do me good, but I'm limited somewhat in my options because I live on the bike and have to carry all my stuff around. The Hells Canyon rally should be interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
I was just thinking of you yesterday and wondering what you were up too? Let the new adventure begin.
Oh I've been up to quite a bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone View Post
I'm still finding it enjoyable to read things here and lately a couple of you gals are stealing the show for me. Thanks for taking the time to do this. It's lots of fun reading!
Thanks Gary! You're quite welcome! I enjoy reading all of the replies, and so far having an "audience" has been a really positive influence. Whenever I feel a bit down and ask why I bother, I can look at people's support and it brings a smile to my face. Smiles are worth their weight in gold some days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyore View Post
Just finished all 43 pages over the past few days, brilliant and I am in awe of you Feyala. Wish I had the nerve to do something so adventurous, but I guess I am just too much of a softy and like my girly comforts.
Great pictures too. Cant wait for the next installment and have subscribed now. Thanks and Ride safe.
Glad to have you along! I'm glad you are enjoying it and I'm sorry it's not more up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
florida is a big state. where is your destination?
I was going to visit a friend who I think lives in Sarasota, but it got to be too hot so I fled northwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyDuncan View Post
Good folks at Saline Springs!

My buddy Dirtbag crashed a few miles from there. Some nice folks drove him to the springs in their camper while members of our group rode all the way back to Goldpoint to get a truck.
He was in a lot of pain so the same people drove him to Bishop to get him medical attention, which was very nice of them considering they just got there.

He had a broken hip and the biggest bruise I have ever seen...
...it covered about half of his back and he's not a little fella!

Since the spring is just a brief stop on a 200 mile ride we call "The Death Ride" I never knew there was more than one spring. I will have to check it out.
Yeah, I really enjoyed my time at the Springs and I kind of regret not staying longer, but I didn't want to be a mooch. Everybody was super friendly and supportive.

It's nice that they came together for your friend, ouch! Breaking a hip somewhere remote is a real nightmare scenario...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
That 'grader' .. yep

Used to keep washboard from happening. Tends to scatter stones all over the place (if you come across a recently treated section).

Here in OZ cheap people use old tractor tyres to do the same job - bit of chain through some holes and tow it behind on the tow bar every fortnight or so. If you do it often enough you can make a 'road' out of nothing.
I've actually seen that before and I thought those people were just insane. The more you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
PM sent about teeth....
Hey man, sorry I didn't reply, I was ridiculously busy, then I had some kind of tonsil plague and was laid up in a tent for a week or so. Oz was stubborn and didn't want to get it treated, but.. well. Not my problem anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
The Rainbow family is a good group of people,alternative ideas are hard for many to grasp,work for possessions or freedom that's everyone's choice,and Feyala I prefer your choice,you and OZ should melt right into the Rainbow community.Relax,partake,and enjoy!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettn Jim View Post
The best wises for the Oz Maaan....

And then...................... Enjoy the RAINBOW Gathering!!! I once drove 10 hrs outta of my way in the pouring rain, to deliver a couple groovy dudes and their German sheppard to a Gathering in Columbus. Was on my way to a Race in Norwalk Ohio... good stories.
Sounds like good times! I definitely enjoyed the Gathering and wouldn't be opposed to going to another one! Some of them were space cadets but there were some people there who really 'got it' too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I tend to agree with Feyla.Back to you.I need more Feyla adventure action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Let's keep the politics out of this thread and forum... take it to CSM.

posts punted.
I seem to miss all the good flamewars... well, at least somebody was paying attention/online more than I was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin III View Post
Politics are divisive. Maybe if there is ever an update to the format you could add a "like-dislike" button and that might be enough to keep the politics.
I love dissenting opinions when presented respectfully, but it can be a bit overwhelming to come back to a page and a half of bickering when I can't spend much of my time online in a given day. I'm kinda glad somebody's watching when I'm not.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #726
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker View Post
I second this option.
Had too since I'm the author of 1500 miles to the dentist. And I'm happy with my outcome. Figure about $.33 to the dollar on costs.
Oh, have your passport ready. You can get into Mexico without one getting back into the U.S. without one is something I don't want to try.
I still plan to do this myself for the two crazy sideways ones I have going on. Maybe this fall or winter when it cools down a bit down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbiker78 View Post
Hi Fey,

Sorry I only found this now, but thanks for getting me through tedious night shifts. I've enjoyed every page of this RR, you're doing a phenomenal job here. Well done.

Looking forward to the rest of it.
Awesome! Every time I hear about my writing distracting somebody from work I take it as a minor victory. Bwahahaha.

Glad to have you along!

Quote:
Good to see you back,keep chasin the Rainbows,lotsa events in the summer.Post when you can so those of us who can't bail and cruise can live through you and the others such as yourself.Partake and enjoy fellow person of the earth.
Yeah, if I don't go to Alaska I might go to Nationals, which are being held in Montana this year. I've heard I should definitely go, but I feel it may be a bit overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrzorn View Post
I'm not sure how far you are from Edwardsville, Ill. I have friends that have received cheap dental care from SIU Edwardsville dental school.
I don't know what the process was for them to get this care.
They seemed happy with the care though. Maybe Oz could check it out.
Thanks for the advice! I think that Oz is actually eligible in Illinois for free dental care too once he no longer has an income, but that's on him now.

Quote:
Ya that Manzanar place is a real reminder of how not to over react and how not treat people.I drive by there often and it's kinda a creepy place when I think about it,it's good it's open for people to see and never forget
It's chilling, and it's a shame so few know the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
This is strength

There is a reason why some of us ride motorcycles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
Fey, you are a person of great depth and wonder.

Where the majority of people would pass on by such a place as Manzanar, you go and find the beauty hidden there.

All the best to you. Safe travels and Godspeed!

btw....if you ever find yourself up here on the Southern Oregon Coastline, don't hesitate to drop a line!
Awww, thanks! I may take you up on that someday! I love the northwest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Feyala,

Thanks for your thoughtful post about Manzanar. My parents were in their teens when they were sent to the camp in Topaz, Utah.

To this day, they talk about life in the camps; they're in their 80's...

Regards,
Harry
It must have been terrifying for them to have been uprooted like that! Gives me shivers just thinking about it, brrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Well Done, Fey. That was a powerful post. I've been by there many times and never stopped. Thanks for the reminder/enlightenment.
It's definitely worth a stop, even if you don't spend all day there taking photos like I did. They've got a little 20 minute movie that's pretty compelling that they show too, but I couldn't find a version of it online.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #727
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
Holy cow Feyala! I'm glad that your (relatively) OK.

Also, thanks for showing the aftermath of your riding pants. Lately I've been kicking around getting some "Riding Jeans" and not using my overpants. Not now. Glad your overpants helped.
They held up surprisingly well, all things considered. I wish we had some kind of testing service, like they have for helmets, showing what you can expect so we could make accurate decisions instead of relying on word of mouth, anecdata and brand preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2Moto View Post
Your one tough rider for sure!. I just tossed my Tarot cards in the trash for some reason.
Heal up peacefully and holler if you need anything.
Aww, don't throw them away! Donate them to.. uh. The homeless gypsies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Lovin' your report and pictures. Like the way you have a bit of history about the area you traveled. And, thank you for the time and work to bring this to us. Also, just love KLR travel stories.
No problem, and thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Damn. Glad you are ok.

In the 12 years I've been riding I've never had a get off like that. I know it's not if, but when. I continue to cringe thinking about it...

Somedays it slows me down.... some days...
Well, if you've gone 12 years without one, you must be doing something right! I'm at about one accident per year now. (2 accidents in 2 years of riding) Hopefully that trend doesn't continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarLlama View Post
You might want to fit a steering damper on the bike, it helps remove oscillation energy from the front wheel, a good thing if you do a lot of washboard road riding.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Vale Madre View Post
do you have a fork brace? had 3 klrs and discoverd they were a must
I have thought about it, but they tend to be expensive. So maybe someday that I have extra cash to throw around, but not now.

Quote:
Holy feck!Glad to read you're ok.That's a slide few make without ending in a trip to the nurses station.Good there wasn't more traffic.My fear is getting run over after going down.I've been lucky.That's all I'll say.I don't want to jinks it.
Yeah, seriously. As soon as I stopped sliding I booked it to the opposite shoulder, I could think of nothing but those semis I'd JUST passed and how they take at least a few blocks to stop from highway speeds...

Definitely a lucky escape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGirlMissingMyRide View Post
Your writing pulled me right in !!! Can't wait to hear more -
Glad to have you along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyWriter View Post
Delurking for a moment to say I'm still loving this RR and looking forward to the next piece of the puzzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
You're a tough lady. Sad you had to loose a tooth because of improper health care.

Thanks for getting back on your feet and spoiling us with continuous reports of your wanderings.

Be safe.
It was a wisdom tooth, so it was bound to be screwed up anyways. It only recently emerged, was growing off center out towards my cheek, and I'm pretty sure it was festering under the gum, partially exposed, for years before it bothered to come out the rest of the way. I shall shed no tears for that evolutionary throwback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
She didn't lose the tooth from the trip

It's from years and years of improper Hyg
Hey now, that was just mean.

For what it's worth, I've never had any other cavities. Ever.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #728
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRIDE56 View Post
sounds like Mexico is wide open for your adventures , and a lot cheaper to.. So when are you going?
Mike
When it isn't ridiculously hot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuker13 View Post
there are so many wannabe's out here, (i guess i'm included) after reading your story i know that there are some real bonified bikers left out there.
a tatoo, loud pipes, pot bellies do not a biker make. (i now ride hondas and a dr650se, sold the hardley-ableson)
I can't believe I've gone this long in my life without hearing "hardly-ableson".

I'm not sure I'm qualified to say what makes somebody a wannabe, I think that people should just follow their Will. There's some deep part of everyone's being which knows if something is good or not, and I've found that joy is a pretty good indicator if I'm on the right track or not. If I'm ever miserable it's a good time to stop and see where I've gone wrong.

Quote:
enjoy life it's the only you get.
Amen to that.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. - Henry David Thoreau

Quote:
Hey thanks for the idea of shimming the Cush with inner tube,something I save and have lots of,when time comes old tubes will be recycled to the Cush,sounds kinda funky cool to me!!!!!
Obviously it's always best to just replace it with fresh rubber, but I got the idea from over here. Better than it flopping around, anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Fey , first let me compliment you on a great ride report ! I don't know how I had missed it for so long . I was a little skeptical when I first started reading , but you sucked me in real well . I am impressed with your ' schooling" and learning to ride better in a short period of time . I enjoy your thoughts and your point of view of all the things you see and experience . I also have to compliment you on your photos , are they taken with your phone ? If so , I guess I should throw away my camera or learn how to use it ! I will be following along . Thanks for all the work on this RR . Maybe I might meet you if we both make it to Hells Canyon next month . Tired body makes it a guessing game of when and how far I can ride . Go girl !
Thanks for the compliments! Yes, the photos are taken with my smartphone, a now-outdated Droid X2. I have an application there which merges 3 different exposures (sometimes it fails to actually merge them), but it's the only form of exposure control I have, and the results can sometimes be pretty nice. I have a small Kodak point and shoot, but I mostly only use it for macro shots and in the dark, because it has a slightly larger sensor than the smartphone. Hope to see you at Hells Canyon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiya View Post
Oofff - I just found your report last week and finally finished all 48 pages. Your writing style drew me in, and I found myself staying up later than normal night after night, trying to read "just one more post" before bed.

As others have said, thank you for the time and effort you put into these posts. And thank you for being open about your struggles as well as your successes. It is inspiring to read your story. While I don't have the courage to go as far solo as you, I'm planning my first small solo trip in a few months. Seeing your reactions when things don't go as planned has reassured me that, while life isn't always perfect, we can make it through the unexpected when armed with patience and a sense of humor.

Wishing you all the best as you continue your journey. I'm subscribed and happy to be (virtually) riding pillion with you!
Hey, thanks for your compliments, and I applaud your persistance in getting through all those pages!

Everybody starts somewhere. I tend to leap into things face first, but your solo trip should be a good beginning! Like everything else, it's a set of skills that take practice. I remember on my first real motorcycle trip, right after I got my license, I ended up riding for literally 24 hours straight because I couldn't figure out where to camp for free and eventually broke down and paid $50 for a motel room. I really wouldn't recommend that approach.

For your first time, use freecampsites.net or scope out a route that will take you through national forests (or set some money aside for staying in a campground). Having a place to sleep that you can rely on, but that you aren't rushing to get towards, is really the most important part to your psychological well being, and even after being on this trip over a year now, it's the one thing that still causes occasional stress for me. You learn to just roll with the punches, but no matter what else life throws your way, you'll be much better prepared to deal with it if you get good sleep!

Good luck on your trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
Hotel bookings
You can always book a cheap hotel - pick one that is popular .. then cancel .. you may get a cancellation fee .. check before you book. But officials have been known to be human and accept that I'm camping and not traveling with a group. Some places officially want an exit air ticket .. bit difficult if your riding out on the bike.

Passports... 'they' may take the old passport as part proof of identity. Here in OZ they just take the money for a 'fast' service. If you want faster than that then you have to explain the reason/s why ..

Good Luck.
Hmm, thanks for the ideas! I'll let it percolate a bit and see what I come up with. I don't trust the officials here to be human, and I don't want to risk rejection, so I will try to be prepared.

It's an additional fee for even seeing a human instead of applying via mail, but since Oz was still waiting to receive his passport when I left Illinois, over four months later, I'm NOT going to try that.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #729
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Whew! Man, I should never have let those pile up like that. Sorry everybody. I actually feel worse for not replying to all of you than for being behind in the ride report, I really appreciate everybody taking the time to read my ramblings and reply.

And now I need to scoot and grab a campsite before it gets dark
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #730
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,076
Holy hell!That's a heck of quoted posts.I couldn't pull it off.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #731
NomadGal
Esther

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Holy hell!That's a heck of quoted posts.I couldn't pull it off.
Me neither!!!
NomadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #732
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,703
We are all just glad your scooting along and that we are all interested and care about as though we have met,keep bringing us along.Oh and thanks for the link about the Cush,funny I was a inmate at that site when I had a Ninja250.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #733
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,557
you must have really had a slow day! for future reference, no reply is needed for me. I just reply every now and then to show you i'm still riding along with you...stay safe!
Old 06-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #734
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Greetings from Nebraska!

... Not going to make it to Denver tonight. Hahaha.

I saw some weird clouds and decided to hang out at a McDonalds. At least I'm inside...
Old 06-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #735
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Well Dorthy, You're not in Kansas anymore!!!
Ride Safe....justjeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote