Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #751
Wotnext
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Great riding attitude

Hi Feyala

I have been following your RR since the very beginning but never commented 'till now. Just wanted to say that you really have a knack for explaining a situation or how you feel in each circumstance. Great riding philosophy and I take my "hat off" to you for following your heart down the road.
Wotnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 AM   #752
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 3,037
So Fey, did you put down roots in Enterprise, or did you make a move? Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #753
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
So Fey, did you put down roots in Enterprise, or did you make a move? Looking forward to reading more about your adventures!
As charming as this area is, no, I haven't put down roots.

I've spent the last week or so alternating between hanging out with Brian and Margaret's lovely family for the 4th of July and fixing the bike, which is now fully functional and calling my name. Shrieking it, really, because I haven't gotten a chance to ride since the end of the rally. I might need to take some day rides to help with that.

I need to finish the website, which should take a few days or so, and then I'll be on my way. Probably stopping briefly by Portland and then hanging around the woods for a while to catch up on my ride report - it's odd that being stationary indoors with an internet connection is a less productive space for me than hanging out at a hotspot or alone in the woods, but c'est la vie. I've written the next couple of entries and edited most of the photos from New Mexico, but that's some 600 megs out of 11 gigs! of photos I need to go through.

There are, however, worse problems to have.

At some point in the mid-future I need to think about getting a job to stockpile some cash again, but I am not sure what that will look like. Something will probably present itself, it usually does. I have enough currently to keep me on the road for another few months, so I am not overly concerned.

I appreciate everybody sticking with me, even when I hit lulls in posting like this. It means a lot to me.
Feyala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #754
kitesurfer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,610
i'm always on the lookout for your post. it would seem to me with your computer skilz, that you could work whenever and wherever you want. You could live forever by riding to one MC campground to another and 'tweaking' their website...or small business...or church group. you could hack into GEEK SQUAD and take their business!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #755
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Always glad to see each post,travel light and smile alot.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #756
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Good to hear from you! Glad she's purring like a kitten, thanks for checking in!
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #757
smash81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Salvaged 2006 Ninja 650R - his
2000 ZR7 - hers
smash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #758
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyala View Post

I appreciate everybody sticking with me, even when I hit lulls in posting like this. It means a lot to me.
Still here, waiting on whatever you have to show us!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #759
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Me too^^^
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:14 PM   #760
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Moi aussi!
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 AM   #761
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Las Cruces, White Sands, Alamogordo (March 1st-3rd)

I woke up to the sound of car horns from the main gravel road. It was still chilly, and so I burrowed back into my sleeping bag for another few hours until the sun started warming up the tent. More honking. Time to get up, I suppose.

The nearby Organ mountains were gorgeous.

Our packing was rushed, as the situation was a bit sketchy. We were not supposed to be camped here, and cars were passing by every ten minutes. I may have accidentally mooned a sedan while taking care of business behind a joshua tree. Awkward. Sorry!

Navigating the trail, as always, was easy with daylight. Someday I'll learn...

We headed back into Las Cruces, found a coffee shop, and I spent some much-needed internet time making plans for New Mexico. Oz was excited to have his picture taken.

East on highway 70 and 60 miles later, we showed up at White Sands, just after the visitor center had closed for the evening. We only had a couple of hours until the park followed suit. This is why I like having the annual pass - if I'd had to pay an entry fee for only a few hours, I likely wouldn't have stopped.

I couldn't get over how much the white sand looked like snow! It was spilling into the road in places. There were reduced speed limit signs and orange cones here and there. At one point I stopped to take this picture and discovered that the sand on the shoulders was VERY soft.

The road gave way to hard-packed, routinely plowed/scraped sandy ground.

The dunes looked magical in the setting sunlight. I was happy we'd stopped. The sunset turned the entire horizon shades of pink and orange.

The sunlight faded, and it was time to go. I wished I had a bit more time, but I can always come back.

It's impressive how much stuff Oz manages to fit in that bungee net I gave him.

We stopped near the gate to the park, bundling up for the ride ahead of us. It was COLD. We continued to Oliver Lee Memorial State Park and enjoyed their nice, hot showers.

By this point it was quite late, and we still had yet to find a good spot to camp. Looking at my map, I saw a nearby sliver of national forest, its access road leading through a military base. Unfortunately the road was closed, and, not wanting to backtrack 40 miles and further freeze our asses off, we decided to just limp back to the state park.

We awoke very late, the tent had grown hot from the sun beating down on it. Neither one of us had slept well - Oz was congested and his tossing had kept us both awake. We opened up the tent and shed some layers, then had a nap. A ranger arrived to collect the $10 camping fee. I guess we paid for that shower after all!

While packing up, Oz decided he wanted to climb to a dip in the mountain not too far away. He set off and I packed up the tent. Upon returning, he said that there was a foot-deep pool of water up there, and cougar tracks.

We headed into town. I spent a couple of hours doing research on possible causes for the engine knocking I'd experienced the previous evening. Afterwards, we headed about ten miles west out of town, to a nice spot near Holloman Lake I'd read about. The sign was easily missed. We were rewarded with a nice campsite, and set up along the lake. We had the place to ourselves!

The setting sun over the lake was beautiful. The lake, however, stunk quite badly.

Holloman Lake is a man-made lake near Holloman Air Force Base. I'm not sure if the stench is caused by the natural soil content or some shadowy wastewater treatment history, but it was quite overpowering. It was a sharp smell, like ammonia, sulphur, or concentrated brine. Signs warned that the water was unsafe for swimming or drinking.

As we walked along the beach, the "crust" crunched under our feet. Sometimes, if you weren't careful, you'd sink down a good 3-4 inches.

These salt deposits built up on branches, rocks, and anything else that was left out. Frankly, it was kinda gross, but at least it was interesting.

After our stroll, we broke camp and went back to Alamogordo. This was another laid-back internet day - still trying to figure out what might be wrong with the bike. I kept coming up empty-handed. Maybe it was just bad fuel. Oh well. Either it would get worse and something would break, or it would resolve itself. We were tired of staying near the stinky lake and decided to head out the next day.

It was a warm night at least, with lots of cloud cover.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #762
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Valley of Fires (March 4th)

We awoke to a windy day, with what looked like a dust storm in the distance. We watched it cautiously as we packed up.

Not optimal conditions, but that's life sometimes. We aimed ourselves north on highway 54 and fought the wind which tried to blow us all over the road.

Tumbleweeds became an unexpected road hazard, and dozens crossed the road in front of us, occasionally crunching under our tires. We'd slowed to a crawl for a construction zone when one the size and shape of a hay bale flopped and slid into our path! We were able to stop in time, and it scuttled harmlessly onto the shoulder. Needless to say we were quite startled - it was surprisingly fast!

A bit outside of Carrizozo, the visibility had cleared, but the wind still tried to derail us as we chugged along to the Valley of Fires State Park. Storms were visible in the distance.

"Approximately 5,000 years ago, Little Black Peak erupted and flowed 44 miles into the Tularosa Basin, filling the basin with molten rock. The resulting lava flow is four to six miles wide, 160 feet thick and covers 125 square miles. The lava flow is considered to be one of the youngest lava flows in the continental United States."

It was good to be off the bikes and stretch our legs for a bit. The lava flow was quite impressive!

Although the landscape seems dead and lonely from a distance, up close we discovered that it has its own ecology. A surprising variety of life calls these harsh rocks home. Many plants seemed to grow out of the lava itself, and we saw evidence of ground squirrels.

This gnarled old tree had a lot of character:

We headed east into the mountains, in search of a campsite I'd read about. Off the highway and onto dirt, we accidentally went too far, our path curling up past the snow line.

The correct road was located, but it grew challenging as it shot up into the mountains, an ordeal neither of us wanted to deal with. We were losing light and the clouds were beginning to spit at us, so we decided to simply camp close to the road.

Oz did really well crossing the rocky dry washes. He got stuck in a rut once, but seemed to get the "gas it" concept pretty quickly. (It was worse than this further on, but daylight, not photos, was my priority at the time.)

This spot actually worked out really well for us, as there was a fire ring and a large amount of dry brush piled up nearby. We fought off the cold night with a fire, a rare treat!

I tried to cook dinner over that fire, and ended up spilling about half our spanish rice into the flames when my grate became unstable. Cooking over a fire is one of those skills I have yet to master.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #763
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #764
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I escaped Enterprise, and am now in Eugene, heading towards the Oregon coast. My plan is to head up to Portland and then the Olympic Peninsula, visiting friends and camping in the woods. I've got time to get this thing up to date now, no obligations or plans.

I'm really not sure why I can't seem to write very effectively when I'm in a stable location. Too many distractions I guess? I have a lot of demands on my time and always end up working on other projects. On the up side, the Log House has a new website now, just a simple WordPress with a customized free theme, but it's leaps and bounds beyond what they had before, and hopefully easier for them to update. Brian and Margaret are lovely people and I will miss their company, but I am happy to be underway again. I spent over a month there!

I've been having a great time and am eager to get to a point where I can start talking about current adventures instead of past ones. Replies will be forthcoming, but I really need to focus on posts until I'm a couple of states more up to date.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #765
Feyala OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Roswell (March 5th)

It was really damn cold that night. By the morning, my water bottle had frozen solid, and frost had grown on every available surface. I re-stoked the fire, which roared back to life, and tried to thaw out. Needless to say, it took a while for us to get going.

We headed east to Roswell.

I'd never been here, but I'd heard about the town's obsession with aliens and figured it could be a fun stop. Even the McDonalds was in on the theme, with a playplace I would have loved as a kid. I felt a bit weird taking pictures of it though.

The people at the tourist information center suggested we visit a free museum/art gallery next door.

Along with a number of interesting art pieces, they also had artifacts from the pioneer era, including traditional Native American clothing.

The section dedicated to Robert Goddard, an inventor and physicist, was my favorite. He was one of the pioneers of rocket flight, credited with creating the first liquid-fueled rockets. His work paved the way for further rocket research, which would eventually result in spaceflight. He was sometimes ridiculed by the press and other scientists for his revolutionary ideas. I was surprised that I'd never heard of him before.

He created one of the first radio frequency oscillating tubes, sold under the name Gammatron.

Exhibits discussed his many other patents - he had ideas for a magnetic levitation system and a jet-driven propeller system which would eventually be utilized in turboprop and turbofan engines.

There were also copies of his failed rocket prototypes. He began building rockets in 1925, and was assisted in moving to Roswell by Charles Lindbergh after his neighbors in Massachusetts became concerned about his highly flammable experiments crashing back to earth.

Inside a replica of his workshop was a copy of his most successful rocket design. Built in 1938, this rocket would reach a height of 3,294 feet and would be Goddard's last successful flight test. He continued building rockets until his death, 7 years later.

Back on the street, we wandered downtown.

Cartoon aliens were everywhere! In stark contrast to the admirable reality of Goddard's work, the little green men were hawking everything from Coke...

... to Mexican food...

... to. Medical services? This was over the top. I don't know about you, but the last thing I want to think about when I visit a doctor is "probing". Brr.

It felt cheap and tacky, but I thought it was good for a laugh. Oz felt that the town was "more or less like being in a huge gift shop". He hated it.

Alien kokopelli? Really?

Oz was curious what was outside the main strip. A single block away, the town seemed run down, in a surprising contrast to the gaudy facade presented earlier. I wondered what the town's industry was like before the aliens invaded.

Some buildings were clearly abandoned or just crumbling.

Around sunset we headed out of town, heading for the Haystack OHV area. Darkness fell and it got ridiculously cold before we were able to find it, nearly getting run off the road by a speeding semi in the process. We arrived, chilled to the bone, and the wind whipping around made tent assembly difficult.

I made dinner, and in the process almost set the tent on fire when the wind caught the flames from my alcohol stove and lit a small amount of fuel that had dripped onto the ground below. I freaked out and acted quickly (only my sleeping bag was singed), but Oz was unhelpful and disagreed with me about the potential severity of the situation. We were both irritable and argumentative when we called it a night.