User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
Element_6 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Anyone got a Kreiga Tank?

Anyone here got a Kreiga tank fitted to their F800GS? I tried fitting mine in the recommended way but couldnt get the seat to lock down as the quick release buckles were in the way. I ended up swapping the velcro straps to the non-quick release end and installing it upside down. It works that way but is not very elegant.

I was wondering if anyone had done a better job of it than me?

I fitted the velcro patches to the air box and am attaching a US20 if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance
Element_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
Manventure
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I am assuming you mean a tank bag?
Manventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #3
Element_6 OP
Adventurer

Laugh

They call it the Tank, it is the base for attaching a tank bag to (their naming convention not mine!!)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
DonHS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Got the same set up, had the same issue. I just cut off the quick-release buckles, stitched the closed "D" rings back onto the "tank" piece and looped the velcro web straps through them and the attachment points under the seat. Works great and doesn't jack up the front edge of the seat. Can post pics if you need them.
DonHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Element_6 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHS View Post
Got the same set up, had the same issue. I just cut off the quick-release buckles, stitched the closed "D" rings back onto the "tank" piece and looped the velcro web straps through them and the attachment points under the seat. Works great and doesn't jack up the front edge of the seat. Can post pics if you need them.
would be great to see pics if you have them. I love the Kreiga stuff and am happy wiith everything else but the faux gas tank on the 800 seems too short for their tank bag attachment
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Lots of people on UKGSER.com have discussed this. There's a good thread there that shows how to do it (most ways require some sort of modifiction on the F8) and a way to attached a US-5/US-10 to the fake tank without needing to use a TANK. It includes pics. I have a TANK, but as of yet, haven't needed the extra carrying capacity to warrant doing it.

Can't remember if linking to other forums is a faux pas here, so won't provide a direct link. Google "uk GSER kriega tank" and you'll find it.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #7
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
I run a Kriega 10 on my tank. I just got rid of the buckles and stuck some adhesive Velcro to the base of the tank (under the seat). Piece of cake....works great!

I'll post a photo in a bit...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,711
Kreiga Tankbag Fix

Ok….here is my fix for the Kreiga tankbag attachment. Had to go take some fresh photos for you.

Step 1: Cut the lower buckle straps off right here, and sew on a nylon strap with velcro.

Used my wife's regular household sewing machine and double-sewn, as you can see.

If you don't have a machine, take it to a tailor shop, they'll probably do it for $10 or less.

Here is the finished product with both velcro straps sewn on. Took about 5 minutes to accomplish.

Step 2: Attach two patches of adhesive-backed velcro (hook or loop, depending upon which was sewn to the straps).

Step 3: Attach bag to bike…..Voila! Seat fits perfectly with no issues.

Sometimes, you just gotta improvise.

Cheers,

HF

p.s. Just love this Kriega10 as a tankbag (minimalist setup). It waterproof, and thin enough profile that it doesn't get in my way when I'm standing and riding along rough trails.

I can move forward without hitting the bag…..I pass right over it (at least with my 32" inseam). I hate bumping into a tankbag which limits my forward body position.
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote