Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #1
Hamish71 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
PC V Auto Tune O2 Sensor install question.

When you install the PCV with autottune, it comes qwith an 02 sensor.
Can anyone confirm that this replaces the OEM sensor, not that I need to get a second bung put into the header for a second o2 sensor please?

If so, is the OEM sensor just zip tied somewhere near by, or removed?
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #2
bigbadandugly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Yep - it's a replacement. Just unscrew and detach the original from the wiring harness and store in a safe place in the event you want to revert back to stock. Alternatively you can resell them if you can find a buyer as the OEM oxy sensors go for $240 new.

Bigbadandugly
bigbadandugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,997
I think the idea is The PV tune O2 sensor reacts faster, and or is a wider range so you can tune better with it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
I think the idea is The PV tune O2 sensor reacts faster, and or is a wider range so you can tune better with it.
Later part is correct. It is a wideband sensor, and unlike the stock narrow band, which only works at small throttle openings, and full throttle, the PC-5 wideband is active through out the throttle opening.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Later part is correct. It is a wideband sensor, and unlike the stock narrow band, which only works at small throttle openings, and full throttle, the PC-5 wideband is active through out the throttle opening.
Having a PC V O2 sensor tested on the dyno and in combination with some electronics I can confirm that the first part is correct too. Its only a bit quicker though.... and yes the main thing is that it is of wider range, sir!
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveman View Post
Having a PC V O2 sensor tested on the dyno and in combination with some electronics I can confirm that the first part is correct too. Its only a bit quicker though.... and yes the main thing is that it is of wider range, sir!
Awesome..... Did they give you a dyno graph..... Pleeeaaaaazzzzz post it. So few have been published. Before, and after...??? Pretty please...

Erling
Old 12-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome..... Did they give you a dyno graph..... Pleeeaaaaazzzzz post it. So few have been published. Before, and after...??? Pretty please...
Nope, cause the Dyno graph did not really show it and it wasnt my bike.

However, the guy (Christian S. aka known as Highscore and former owner of Combat Engineering) had also an exhaust emission measurement device, a PC running TuneEcu and another device I cant remember connected to the bike (a KTM 690). The O2 sensor delivered with PCV is reacting quicker, but not much. He equipped the bike with an expensive Bosch wideband sensor and it was remarkeably quicker than stock. I dont know how he found out as at that time the bike was idling. However, he used an own box (developed by him) with a special header that was built by Remus to Highscore's specs and this special O2 sensor. In the last tuning stage he now runs the bikes without O2 sensor.

Edit: not sure if it was a PC V but will check...
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope, cause the Dyno graph did not really show it and it wasnt my bike.

However, the guy (Christian S. aka known as Highscore and former owner of Combat Engineering) had also an exhaust emission measurement device, a PC running TuneEcu and another device I cant remember connected to the bike (a KTM 690). The O2 sensor delivered with PCV is reacting quicker, but not much. He equipped the bike with an expensive Bosch wideband sensor and it was remarkeably quicker than stock. I dont know how he found out as at that time the bike was idling. However, he used an own box (developed by him) with a special header that was built by Remus to Highscore's specs and this special O2 sensor. In the last tuning stage he now runs the bikes without O2 sensor.

Edit: not sure if it was a PC V but will check...
That's all right... There are just very little trustworthy dyno graph available for the 8GS. As many factory mapping is lean, through out, and many others lean from the idle point, one of the biggest noticeable differences you will see is the throttle response become quite better. My other big single has a race motor in it, and it is insane how it revs. Specially in the case of the 8gs, that jumps like an ape from idle, I would expect a huge improvement there. I don't neccercarrily think that is due to a faster o2 sensor, but merely as a whole unit....PC, O2 sensor, and correct fuel mapping. But perhaps overall the outcome is vastly improved throttle response. That is what I expect to see when I do this.

Erling
Old 12-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's all right... There are just very little trustworthy dyno graph available for the 8GS. As many factory mapping is lean, through out, and many others lean from the idle point, one of the biggest noticeable differences you will see is the throttle response become quite better. My other big single has a race motor in it, and it is insane how it revs. Specially in the case of the 8gs, that jumps like an ape from idle, I would expect a huge improvement there. I don't neccercarrily think that is due to a faster o2 sensor, but merely as a whole unit....PC, O2 sensor, and correct fuel mapping. But perhaps overall the outcome is vastly improved throttle response. That is what I expect to see when I do this.
Yeah well, as said before it was a KTM 690 but agree with what you say. I am very convinced that with a few measures the F8's throttle response could be improved. But I think it isnt that bad, mine is completely stock. I always grin when people complain about the snatchy throttle (or the uncomfortable seat) as they obviously come from a 4 cylinder. I own an 690 SMCR and my map switch is in the race position. This thing jumps on the gas like a bronco. Most people cant handle that, it needs training and you need to adjust your riding style. When I get to the garage after a 200 mile ride and I swap to the F8 the seats feels super comfy and the throttle is somewhat lame
I never had problems with throttle response, even out in the woods in the slow sections but I am used to work with the clutch a lot.
European bikes EFI may be even set up leaner than US bikes due to all this stupid ride by emsission and sound tests.

All the best
Steve
Old 12-16-2012, 08:21 AM   #10
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah well, as said before it was a KTM 690 but agree with what you say. I am very convinced that with a few measures the F8's throttle response could be improved. But I think it isnt that bad, mine is completely stock. I always grin when people complain about the snatchy throttle (or the uncomfortable seat) as they obviously come from a 4 cylinder. I own an 690 SMCR and my map switch is in the race position. This thing jumps on the gas like a bronco. Most people cant handle that, it needs training and you need to adjust your riding style. When I get to the garage after a 200 mile ride and I swap to the F8 the seats feels super comfy and the throttle is somewhat lame
I never had problems with throttle response, even out in the woods in the slow sections but I am used to work with the clutch a lot.
European bikes EFI may be even set up leaner than US bikes due to all this stupid ride by emsission and sound tests.

All the best
Steve
I fully agree...... I have a smaller BB thumper, and, like your 690 it is a 300 pound 55 RWH race motor, and stepping back on to the 8GS is like you stated hopping on a Cadillac... The throttle issue on the 8GS is a nuisance, that I could do without. But it is just that..... Not detrimental. The throttle response, however, is still a bit slow, ( right after the burbles of idle stop, when the engine catches) But as with anything, you might not like what you get after the change. I have a great tuner alignment in Denver, that will work mine, but as none have done any after reporting, all the results I have heard is.... " great" " fantastic" etc.... and that means nothing to me.

Erling
Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I fully agree...... I have a smaller BB thumper, and, like your 690 it is a 300 pound 55 RWH race motor, and stepping back on to the 8GS is like you stated hopping on a Cadillac... The throttle issue on the 8GS is a nuisance, that I could do without. But it is just that..... Not detrimental. The throttle response, however, is still a bit slow, ( right after the burbles of idle stop, when the engine catches) But as with anything, you might not like what you get after the change. I have a great tuner alignment in Denver, that will work mine, but as none have done any after reporting, all the results I have heard is.... " great" " fantastic" etc.... and that means nothing to me.
I like Cadillacs sometimes No seriously, there is a noticeable lag from idle till the F8 picks up. I really dont care about riding on pave but as you say it can be a nuisance off roads, especially when its slippery because one tends to turn the throttle more than necessary creating this "kick" which can get one out of balance. Most probably thats why I use the clutch just to overcome that.
Me too only heared people telling about good results by trying this and that but didnt ride a modified one yet. Seems we are just a little bit like bad guys as I also dont care about statements too much. Need really to see and feel what the difference is before I start trying to spend money to get rid off something I can live with

Take care
Steve
Old 12-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #12
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I like Cadillacs sometimes No seriously, there is a noticeable lag from idle till the F8 picks up. I really dont care about riding on pave but as you say it can be a nuisance off roads, especially when its slippery because one tends to turn the throttle more than necessary creating this "kick" which can get one out of balance. Most probably thats why I use the clutch just to overcome that.
Me too only heared people telling about good results by trying this and that but didnt ride a modified one yet. Seems we are just a little bit like bad guys as I also dont care about statements too much. Need really to see and feel what the difference is before I start trying to spend money to get rid off something I can live with

Take care
Steve
Yeppers.... Well said.

Erling