User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,849
Weird Comparison, I know... Fz6 vs. ZRX1100

I recently sold my ninja 250 and want to get something bigger and more touring capable. Yesterday I went and checked out 2 different bikes: a 2005 Yamaha FZ6 with some mods(PCIII, M-4 slip ons, steering damper) with 15,000 miles and a 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 in excellent shape with 8,000 miles.

Pictures:

The REX is awesome looking and sounding, very cool style, comfortable seating position, and lots of torque, but it's carbed 4 cylinder with 8k miles valve checks (shudder).

The FZ6 is quick/nimble, not a lot of torque, 26k valve checks, fuel injection, etc. It does have some tip over damage: scratched brake lever end, turn signal, engine case cover has a small scratch, and one of the engine mount bolts is scratched/ground down a bit.

Both bikes are around the 3k$ mark which is my limit.

From my research I can get hard side cases for the fz6 and rear rack, but the ZRX doesn't have as much support for that type of thing.

What would you get and why?

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 871
For me, I'd go with the Zrex if this was based on looks alone.

Unless you do them yourself the valve checks will be pricey on the Rex. If the last owner took proper care of the bike, the carbs shouldnt be a problem.

Lots more aftermarket support for the FZ6 and its already got some of the goodies. And the damage you mentioned can be fixed no prob. Probably a much lighter machine, too.

Have you shopped insurance rates?

garrett the nerd screwed with this post 06-28-2012 at 07:57 PM
garrett the nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Both very nice bikes.
The Kawi might not be set up for luggage, but then again neither is my R1, but I built a custom rack to hold two side Givi monokey hardbags.

Personally though I think I would go with the Yami because of the wind protection.

Then again, how big are you? How old? Did riding the ninja 250 for long periods of time fatigue you from the wind?

Have you also looked at the MPG? Seems some of the Kawi models aren't to good on that.
rico2072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett the nerd View Post
For me, I'd go with the Zrex if this was based on looks alone.

Unless you do them yourself the valve checks will be pricey on the Rex. If the last owner took proper care of the bike, the carbs shouldnt be a problem.

Lots more aftermarket support for the FZ6 and its already got some of the goodies. And the damage you mentioned can be fixed no prob. Probably a much lighter machine, too.

Have you shopped insurance rates?
I haven't looked at insurance yet. that's a good thought.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
Both very nice bikes.
The Kawi might not be set up for luggage, but then again neither is my R1, but I built a custom rack to hold two side Givi monokey hardbags.

Personally though I think I would go with the Yami because of the wind protection.

Then again, how big are you? How old? Did riding the ninja 250 for long periods of time fatigue you from the wind?

Have you also looked at the MPG? Seems some of the Kawi models aren't to good on that.
I'm 5'9" 235lbs. (working on that ;) I have looked at mpg. The Kawi seems to get mid 40's if driven normally and the FZ doesn't seem to do much better. If anyone can speak to that, I'd love to hear it.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I'm 5'9" 235lbs. (working on that ;) I have looked at mpg. The Kawi seems to get mid 40's if driven normally and the FZ doesn't seem to do much better. If anyone can speak to that, I'd love to hear it.
I would of thought the Yamaha got better gas mileage, but that is me. Does the MPG of either bike bother you?
If you are going to do a lot of around town riding, maybe some 200 mile days, then I wouldn't worry about the wind too much, if you plan on some really long trips with consecutive 500 mile days, then I would consider the wind fatigue.
They are pretty different looking bikes. Which one do you think looks better? If you get the one you truly think looks better, then you can modify the rest to fit your style of riding.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

I do care about gas mileage. I would like to be able to get around or close to 50 mpg while cruising at 55-60 mph. Most mpg claims are when traveling 70-80 mph.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I do care about gas mileage. I would like to be able to get around or close to 50 mpg while cruising at 55-60 mph. Most mpg claims are when traveling 70-80 mph.
From what I understand, the PCIII and the add ons will do a number on the MPG department.
I had a little stuff on my R1, slip on, gutted cat, just that and I noticed a difference. I went back to stock pipe and If I baby it, it goes to the 42 or so mpg.
Here is mine;

Still doing some little things to do some looooooooong distance travel. Hoping to get 400+ miles a day! lol
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well, my patience sucks. ;) I called and made an offer on the FZ6. I'm going to go and pick it up today.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #10
mikesova OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico2072 View Post
From what I understand, the PCIII and the add ons will do a number on the MPG department.
I had a little stuff on my R1, slip on, gutted cat, just that and I noticed a difference. I went back to stock pipe and If I baby it, it goes to the 42 or so mpg.
Here is mine;

Still doing some little things to do some looooooooong distance travel. Hoping to get 400+ miles a day! lol
The only "performance add on" that I can tell are the slip on pipes. What would happen if I just disconnected the PCIII, if I didn't like the mileage it was getting or loaded the "stock" map? I really don't know very much about the PCIII and how it works.

nice bike, btw.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,405
I had an FZ6 and loved it. It's one of those bikes that seems to do everything pretty well. Mine consistently got 50mpg or better. I got 56 out of one tank. I think you will be very happy with it. You will probably need to change out the seat though. I put a Corbin on mine and it was a big improvement.

As for the ZRX - never had one but I have always liked them.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
I would have gone the fz6 route myself as well. I like my friend's FZ1...I can't imagine the FZ6 is that much different.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
wannaklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,373
You got what spoke to you.

The ZRex speaks to me.

$3,000 for either of those bikes is a good deal in my eyes. Both good bikes though.

From Scottie Boy "If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle."
wannaklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The only "performance add on" that I can tell are the slip on pipes. What would happen if I just disconnected the PCIII, if I didn't like the mileage it was getting or loaded the "stock" map? I really don't know very much about the PCIII and how it works.

nice bike, btw.
I couldn't tell you what would happen if you just unplugged the PCIII. From what I've heard, it will just run off of the ECU. Don't quote me on that. The ECU is set up to run the bike and meet emissions, the PCIII will make it run better but waste a little more gas. By a little more gas I mean, it depends on your bike, but if you just cruise on it, I would say 1 to 2 miles less. To me that is not that big of a deal when you are getting close to 50.

I wasn't trying to pick sides, but I would of gone with the FZ6 too. LOL
Old 06-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #15
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Givi uses the stock exhaust hangers for their side case mounts, not sure on the SW-motech version.

I don't remember if the Microns use the stock exhaust mounts or not; somebody at FZ6-forum.com can let you know.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote