Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
slowpoke69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Starter trouble (06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100)

I tried to start my bike yesterday to go to work(06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100), it seems to be stuck. I heard the switch try to engage, but it wouldn't turn. She has about 56k on her.

I thought maybe it was too cold, hence frozen, but the temp is 47 today and it still won't turn, still hear the juice, but simply won't turn it.

Any ideas, I'm not too familiar with Guzzi's, but have worked on my own stuff all my life. I don't know if I should pull the starter and take it to get checked or what. Thanks for your input.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,901
You sure it's not the battery? Usually is.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #3
rdbandkab
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Check the easy stuff first. Check battery terminals for corrosion and tightness. (I'll take some emery cloth to the terminals and cables every so often). Check the ground cable connection to the engine too.
Make sure the battery's up to the task also...
A change of the starter relay might be an easy test also.

I'm not sure how to test the actual starter for issues...

richy
2014 Beta 300rr
assorted mountain bikes
rdbandkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,340
I'm with mcma: check your battery voltage and/or get it load tested before you even suspect the starter. Next is probably to check the electrical connection between the starter and the battery. Both of those are quick and relatively easy, and cheap. Even if the battery isn't the problem, knowing that you've got a good battery and electrical connections is a solid basis for continuing to troubleshoot.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69 View Post
I tried to start my bike yesterday to go to work(06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100), it seems to be stuck. I heard the switch try to engage, but it wouldn't turn. She has about 56k on her.

I thought maybe it was too cold, hence frozen, but the temp is 47 today and it still won't turn, still hear the juice, but simply won't turn it.

Any ideas, I'm not too familiar with Guzzi's, but have worked on my own stuff all my life. I don't know if I should pull the starter and take it to get checked or what. Thanks for your input.
Stop. Test, don't guess. "switch try to engage"? you mean a relay clicking?
"hear the juice"? same as above?

1) put a voltmeter on the battery 12.8V? or less? If voltage is 12.8, go to step 3.

2) put a battery charger on it overnight, see of it starts.
(or some jumper cables from a car and try starting IMMEDIATELY)
If it starts, you had/have a low battery.

3) if it doesn't start, begin checking voltage at various points... A) at battery while attempting to start B)At the starter relay (both sides) while attempting to start C) at the starter while attempting to start.
If the voltages look as expected (11.5 or greater), check engine to chassis/battery ground, etc.
If voltages are low, look at connections/relay, if they are missing, look for sidestand switch, clutch switch, kill switch, etc.

4) LAST thing, disconnect the starter, put jumper cables from a car on it, and the ground jumper cable on the starter's mounting bolt head, and test with direct connection to a car battery. MAKE SURE IT'S IN NEUTRAL, YOU ARE BYPASSING THE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH. If it cranks properly, the starter is OK.

concours screwed with this post 01-01-2015 at 01:36 PM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #6
banjaxxed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
You can do a voltage check with the dash?
http://www.guzzitech.com/forums/thre...nt-start.6426/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
banjaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
slowpoke69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys!

Once I thought about it after I was no longer pissed off, I pulled the battery and had it checked at the parts store, all cells good, just low charge. I threw it on the charger for a few hours, cleaned up the terminals, so far, so good.

I was thinking with my luck it was the heated grips I just put on, thankfully not. Oxford's new Intelligent Grips RULE! I believe that's what the're called, from Revzilla for like $90, EASY PEASY install too!! Plug n play, hook up to your battery, DONE DEAL!! One of the easiet things I've EVER done mechanically speaking. 2 beer install TOPS!!

My new windscreen actually gave me fits putting it on, MUCH harder! Figuring out how to mount it without the hardware hitting my tank, what a PITA!!

Thanks for the responses, hope you all had a Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, etc. Stay safe out there!!

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
Old 01-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
Johann
commuterus tankslapperus

Oddometer: 457
I know some heated grip manufacturers recommend a direct connection to the battery with an appropriate fuse on the positive side but given a choice I would always prefer to have hardwired accessories that cannot draw any current with the ignition off.

Good article including wiring diagram for relay........

http://www.ulyssesmelb.com/content/h...-battery-blues

Google Positap connectors for easy crimp free splicing onto live wire.

ETA: At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious is the bike charging the battery? Using either the dash voltmeter suggested above or a meter across the terminals of the battery you should be seeing battery at 12.7v for a fully charged 12v battery off load with engine off, rising to somewhere up to 14.4v off tickover depending on setup. If the voltage remains static with the engine (and alternator) running then you have found the problem. Could also be cold at this time of year, if a battery is a bit marginal or on its way out now is the time of year it is likeliest to fail. If a wet lead acid battery goes below 50% state of charge a number of times there is a real risk of causing permanent damage to the plates.

Johann screwed with this post 01-04-2015 at 05:08 PM
Johann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 02:54 AM   #9
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You sure it's not the battery? Usually is.
Agreed. Especially being cold outside. I highly doubt the starter is bad. The starter in my v11 is as big as the one in my Fiat.
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Another thing to check is the kickstand and clutch lockout switches. Since your battery was low, you have solved it this time. I like to put a battery tender on my bike for a day once a month. I do not leave it on all the time.
Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
slowpoke69 OP
Studly Adventurer

kickstand switch

Come to think of it the light for the sidestand has been acting up. I agree on the battery tender too, the cold don't do much good for batteries.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100