Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
I completely agree with the idea that ST-type bikes are fading into obscurity, and being replaced by adventure bikes.

However, I'm still a luddite fan of the sport-tourer. K1300S here, and I sold a *collective gasp* 1200GSA to get it. No regrets. Truthfully, the GSA is a better all-around bike from a pure practicality or pure-comfort standpoint. I loved it.

But they are both compromise bikes, and I just happen to prefer the compromise the K1300 offers for the riding I do.

Is it a sportbike? Not by today's standards, but for real-world roads and through this old-guy's eyes, it's positively GP-like.

Is it a tourer? Goldwing, GSA and Electra Glide riders pass me in a cone of peaceful air, legs out recliner-style, laughing at the comedy channel being piped thru their headsets on Sirius.

But I'm usually a weekend warrior, taking three-hour rides through Illinois' excuse for twisties, and averaging a once a year tour out west. It hurts to blast through Kansas a bit, but it's glorious once you reach the mountains.

I just feel a connectedness on ST bikes that I didn't feel on my Tiger or GSA. I hate to see the ST model dying away.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #47
Mike M
On the Border

Oddometer: 1,454
I lived in Denver for 12 years with some great roads---certainly sport AND touring worthy, I found my 2007 K1200GT to be too heavy to throw side to side in the twisties. However, it was a dream on the open road with effortless power. In the end I felt that the R1200GS/A was a better choice for sport and tour duty. The GS is a great all around bike but the twin's got nothin' on the slant 4 on long trips-----still it's a tradeoff I'd make again.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #48
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrannel View Post
It's English, English. (wherefore (hwrfr, -fr, wr-) adv. 1. For what purpose or reason; why.) American Heritage Dictionary. AT&T ran an ad using the same mistake that cost them millions. English majors and liberal arts grads are fast becoming the new "must-haves" for corporate America.

However, the question, using English, is actually even more provocative: "Why do they need to be?" And, for me: Heavy enough to slam over bad roads for hours and hours; fast enough to eat those same roads at touring + speeds; minimal wind protection for those who actually like the elements; nimble enough to play semi-boy racer touring twisties; able to take serious luggage. That's fore where!
Interesting. When I was in school and after English/LibArts majors expected line of communication post grad was "Do you want fries with that?". Further and I'm very curious as to how accurate this statement is (but lack a time machine to verify): supposedly current American English/accent is closer to Shakespear's English than current English English.

As an addendum: why is it there are 6 ways to spell one guys name when most of what he allegedly did ( Bacon) was written?
JoeDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #49
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by rider33 View Post
Most of the "adventure" bikes I see are being used as new-wave standards or alt-touring rigs, that I believe is really why they are growing, that and the whole Long Way Aound thing. On Sport Touring bikes, I think simple demographics enters into it. If you accept the premise that they tend to be bought by more experienced riders, at some point the tighter ergo's start to be a bit much. Where I think there will be some growth down the line is in touring rigs. Glides and Wings weigh a ton and carry a lot of lifestyle baggage as well. A bored out, stretched out Bonnie with bags would be fine by me. Given the variations and sustaining sales of that line, I'm kind of surprised that they haven't gotten there yet.
Quite a lot of us experienced riders have left sport touring rides in favor of adventure bikes. For me personally as I've aged I have needed a more upright seating position and less knee bend. I've found less weight to be a good thing too. And I got another unexpected bonus from an adventure bike in the form of more airflow. I used to love the quiet, relatively still pocket behind a fairing, but aging has once again changed my priorities. Airflow and staying cooler is more important than quiet, because excess heat is having a greater effect on me nowadays. Like a sport tourer an adventure bike can still carry a ton of stuff, be quite comfortable, and can offer similar sporting performance and handling to a sport tourer. And it opens up additional opportunities when the pavement ends.

Considering my current ride - a Tiger 800 - I don't feel like I've lost much at all in terms of the good things about a sport tourer, but I've gained a whole bunch that a sport tourer can't provide.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #50
scrannel
Scrannel

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
Further and I'm very curious as to how accurate this statement is (but lack a time machine to verify): supposedly current American English/accent is closer to Shakespear's English than current English English.
You're right. Not to gross you out, but the accents from Appalachia and the deep New England accent are the main choices for "what Shakespeare sounded like." And... ignore anything a grad student tells you. "To be or not to be -- y'all -- that there be the question!"
Old 06-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #51
scrannel
Scrannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Airflow and staying cooler is more important than quiet.
+ 100%... and more fun anyway!
Old 06-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #52
scrannel
Scrannel

[QUOTE=JoeDuck;19027468

As an addendum: why is it there are 6 ways to spell one guys name when most of what he allegedly did ( Bacon) was written?[/QUOTE]

BTW, this is a lie of huge BS proportions fostered by the Mensa crowd who can't stand the idea that a guy who didn't go to college was smarter than they are (and this includes my cat). Of course, Hemingway didn't finish high school, Melville and about a billion other geniuses never went to college to get their brains sucked out. Shakespeare existed and wrote his plays. The droolers who tell you otherwise severely filter history to fit their tiny minds. And here's a pit: if you want to get a Mensa girl in the sack on the first date, just tell her she's a genius. Works every time.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #53
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Get off the slab and look again, Rider. I just came back from a 6000 mile, three week tour in the Plains on a Daytona 1200. Headed out in two more weeks for a two week ride around New England and the Maritimes. Everyone I associate with locally has an ST bike. Last count was about a dozen or so.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #54
erda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
I would say that you are forgetting to count a bunch of bikes:
fz6r, ninja650, gsx650f, cbf600, and especially vstroms, etc.
Yea... . Wife on her Ninja 650R and me on the Bandit, did about 12000km last summer, over 31 days. Didn't see too many bikes other than cruisers and wings.
Heading out for 4+ weeks in early July. We hope to get down through Wyoming and Colorado before heading back home (should be about 7500km). I'll pay a little closer attention to what other riders are using.

Previous rides: 2009 V-Strom 650SEA; 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 500ex
erda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #55
roadstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalancePoint View Post
I can't even see how it's debatable whether the RT is a sport-touring bike. What else could it be called?
I think the RT from 1100-1200 does make great sport touring ride. My first sport touring bike was an 86 C10 connie , engine was super smooth , but handled funky. Then an 05 C10 connie, handled good , but buzzed my hands to sleep. Then went to an 07 FJR1300 & really liked it , handled great , but had a high pitch buzz . Now have a R1200RT & besides being lighter than the FJR , you can wait a little longer when getting into a corner (lower center of gravity, i`m guesing). I drive a big truck for a living & the most bikes i see out putting on the miles are the BMW GS`s 650-1200`s & of course a gazillion Goldwings. But when i`m playing on the back roads , for some reason i don`t see other sport touring bikes or sport bikes, i run into alot of cruisers hogging up the road putt putting around & smelling the roses.

(oh and yes i have an IBA number)
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #56
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
[QUOTE=Bueller;19027878] I used to love the quiet, relatively still pocket behind a fairing, but aging has once again changed my priorities. Airflow and staying cooler is more important than quiet......

Oddly, to me the noise is a much bigger deal. In fact my favorite aspect of the ST1300 is the quite: hit cruising altitude, put the screen in the full upright position & there is a still pocket of air back there that tempts me to light a cigar. Your point is well taken tho, I just happen to be hyper-sensitive to sound, heat, not so much. I like the big adventure bikes but being a KLR guy, they just always strike me as being 200-300 lbs too heavy, particulary in the deeper stuff. They are, however, as close as we are going to get to a standard. To me tho, a W650/800 or Bonnie is a much prettier package.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #57
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
The world's fastest ST

Much has been said about the compromised sport nature of the ST... And how they are too heavy and too expensive.

Consider the B-King ST ABS: a bit over 500 pounds. A Hayabusa engine, achieving 170+ HP. Chain Drive. 50+ mpg. It will cruise all day in comfort, or carve corners with the smaller bikes. And it cost less than $8000 brand new (about 3 years after it was manufactured). Alas, there are only a few on the roads. But I own one.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:56 PM   #58
Disco Stu
I'm Barry F'n Gibb!!

Oddometer: 5,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
I ride a sprint, and so far, it is just about the best bike in all aspects that I've ever owned. Nonetheless, the sprint GT that my nearest triumph dealer has on the floor, has been there for a very long time, and he just can't seem to give it away... a pity really. One ride on that triple and you're sold.
If I was going to buy a new/newer sport tourer that would be the one. Last year when my wife bought an airhead in LA and needed to ride it back to Memphis, I bought a 995 Sprint ST to ride back with her. Excellent bike. I would have kept it, but it would have meant getting rid of either my 1150GS or my Aprilia Futura.

It was a great bike, but not great enough to make me sell either of these.
Disco Stu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #59
Ever Onward
Time Killer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Much has been said about the compromised sport nature of the ST... And how they are too heavy and too expensive.

Consider the B-King ST ABS: a bit over 500 pounds. A Hayabusa engine, achieving 170+ HP. Chain Drive. 50+ mpg. It will cruise all day in comfort, or carve corners with the smaller bikes. And it cost less than $8000 brand new (about 3 years after it was manufactured). Alas, there are only a few on the roads. But I own one.

There ya go !!!!!!!!!!! I know that EXACT spot in the pic ! That next 99 miles is sport touring HEAVEN !!!!!

I had to make due with the F3 and a tailbag in the next pic.........but I had bar risers and could do a 500 mile day without to much discomfort. If I had my current ride It woulda been way more comfort, but a little less chicken strip removal sections.

Ever Onward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #60
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,039
Ok, I'm waaaay behind the curve here:

I ride a Rebel 250 on which I'm taking off for a 4 week trip next week (I teach - summers, yay!) I love my wee beastie for the gas mileage, I can actually load enough junk on it and its got enough get up and go for the freeways (bogs down a bit on hills and headwinds - don't care, thats what the slow lanes are for). I would like another bike for dirt roads and camping, but I'm now confused about the difference between an adventure bike and a sport-tourer. I don't care about going fast, I just want something that would be reasonably comfortable to take on dirt roads (with a little rocky stuff) and get there on paved roads. So, for an entry level rider like me the problems are :
1. Cost - I don't want to sell the Rebel to finance another bike (Teacher.....remember)
2. I want a more upright riding position
3. The seats are so dang high! (I sat on a KLR 650 and even though I'm 5'9" I couldn't even come close to touching the ground on both sides) Though I'm not sure where this bike fits in the continuum of adventure vs sport touring bikes.
4. Find like minded people who don't want to go fast on the dirt roads, but want to look around and use the bikes for transport to awesome places through pretty country to fabulous camping (so, basically a dirt touring bike that can handle some rough stuff).

So, I'm not sure I fit into any category either.....
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote