Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #856
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Originally, it was when you went touring on a sportsbike.

Now, pretty much anyone with a motorcycle and bags claims to be sport-touring.

Even some Goldwinger wingnuts I know...

A car used to be called a horseless carriage.

I'm ok with the fact that sport touring has evolved into something more than the origin concept and that there are purpose built bikes available on showroom floors.

To me the definition of sport touring is a type of riding involving travel and fun on twisty mountain roads rather than a specific brand/model of motorcycle. I picked on Maggot's bike - which makes for as good or bad a sport touring mount as anything - to illustrate how ridiculous his closed mindedness and prejudice is.

Of course it was lost on him.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #857
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
My ride previous to the Sporstourer.
A classic, done by the factory RSL 1100. A purebred, not a farkeled up, buzzy Japanese middleweight, as some have tried to claim is the one true route to sport tourdom.......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #858
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
i just picked up a brand new sport touring bike last weekend.

marc
nice!!
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #859
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post
Holy Shit.

I really, really like that.

Looks like something Tintin would have commandeered.

Even though it doesn't look any more like a "modern" definition of a sports-tourer than

bdonley's Sporty, when I look at it, I just wanna hit the road on it and never look back.

Real evocative.

Lomax, tell us more, pls...
I does make you want to hit the road and never look back.

It does need some work before then however, but not much. It is a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850cc. It runs great and all the electrical works perfectly. It REALLY needs a full service as it has sat for a few years, but a fluid change, valve adjust, and general cleanup it should be fine. The paint is pretty faded and I don't know if I am going to repaint it or not. I kind of like original Patina.

Left side.

AND the best part.

Marc
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #860
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Luv Guzzis! Guy I work with rides a great Ambo. I had an Sp 1000 that I "Lemansified". Agostini rear sets, modded carbs, lafranconi pipes. One I never should have sold.
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #861
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Re: the CBF1000 not being a sport-tourer but a Sportster is:

Go to http://cycle-ergo.com/ and plug in the corresponding bikes. The CBF has the ergos of a sports tourer, almost identical to an ST1300. The only Sportster that even comes close to sport ergos is the XR1200X. All of the other "standard" Sporters are just that - standard.
p0diabl0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #862
Just GO!
Countersteer it.

Oddometer: 2,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
What's your theory as to why sport tourers don't sell very well?

There's just not a lot of riders that like to ride fast over long, curvy, twisted distances.

Cruiser riders go slow over short distances.......beer joint to beer joint.

Sport bike riders go fast over short distances......stop light to stop light.

Touring bikes go slow over long distances......coast to coast.

Dualsports are another animal all together.

I ride my DL650 like a sport-tourer and it does fairly well although an F800ST would do me better....probably.

Come down to Marietta this year for the MSTA Mail Pouch Fly-By event and we'll take you sport-touring.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #863
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 458
So those of us that enjoy coast to coast on the winding roads at a fast pace are freaks, huh?

I'M A UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE!

After my friends on their sporty bikes saw that I could keep up and sometimes outpace them fully loaded with a passenger, they all talked about getting sports tourers for camping holidays with me. I think we just need to lead the masses to the light.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM   #864
Bueller
Cashin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
Re: the CBF1000 not being a sport-tourer but a Sportster is:

Go to http://cycle-ergo.com/ and plug in the corresponding bikes. The CBF has the ergos of a sports tourer, almost identical to an ST1300. The only Sportster that even comes close to sport ergos is the XR1200X. All of the other "standard" Sporters are just that - standard.
Ergos of a sport tourer? Since those ergos vary from nearly upright to many, many degrees of forward lean on bikes officially marketed as "sport tourers" I think it's safe to say there is no specific defined criteria. In fact, to that end I have no problem calling this a sport tourer too:

As for the CBF 1000, it is no more and no less a sport tourer than this:

The XR has a few less HP, a few more Ft Lbs of torque, similar weight, and similar ergos. Both have add on luggage.

Again, sport touring is much more about the trip than it is the specific bike. But those who disagree and think you need to go spend thousands on yet another bike to be able to "sport tour", I say great! Put your money where your mouth is and go stimulate the economy! I won't bother because I can sport tour just as well on the Tiger 800 Roadie in my garage as I can on the latest greatest BMW that costs twice as much. After buying, riding, and selling 10 of the roundel's greatest I'm comfortable with the concept that the brand/style of the bike isn't the center piece. Instead it is a tool by which to experience different people and places. As special as the 7,000 mile trans USA/Canada trip was on my K bike, a 1200 mile weekend through the Smokys on my R6 brought just as big of a smile to my face. The experiences - though different for each trip mentioned - are equally engaging.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 PM   #865
YJake
Roaming

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post

Again, sport touring is much more about the trip than it is the specific bike.
So what you mean is that I CAN call my 250 Ninja with Givi box a Sport Tourer after all?

Next I'll try riding it off-road or some such nonsense...

-Jake
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #866
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
I drove my injured friend to the hospital in my pickup.. Does that mean I can call it an ambulance?
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #867
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 625SXC View Post
I drove my injured friend to the hospital in my pickup.. Does that mean I can call it an ambulance?
Have you got red lights and an EMT on board?
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #868
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Does a sportster have a engine, suspention and brakes derived from a sport bike? Does a CB1100 Come with a set of factory installed hard luggage? Do either of those bikes come with factory installed fairings to protect the rider from the wind and weather?

If I drive a Goldwing down a dirt road does that mean its an ADV bike? Or is it still a luxury tourer that I happened to drive down a dirt road?
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #869
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Ergos of a sport tourer?

As for the CBF 1000, it is no more and no less a sport tourer than this:

The XR has a few less HP, a few more Ft Lbs of torque, similar weight, and similar ergos. Both have add on luggage.
You should lurk more and post less..

The only thing similar in a Cbf and that XR is two wheels and a motor. The Cbf will out preform that thing in every way possible. Stock ABS, and twice as many pistons in the calipers and the engine, weather protection, adjustable seat and windshield, much longer range, better headlights, and intergrated lights all round. The luggage is stock and intergrated, similar to an FJR or ST1300. Super quiet and smooth right from 1k to 10k redline, and fit, finish like no XR would match...
sorry bud, but they're not the same kind of transportation.

The XR, With the thin seat and fake leather bags, I'd rather try to sport tour on a KLR with supermoto rubber.....and one could probably buy a CBF and a KLR for the price that garbage....

Have fun sport touring my friend, I know I will going across Canada this summer..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!

Maggot12 screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 04:03 PM
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #870
Bueller
Cashin?

Those of you who disagree can do so if you wish. I sure don't make the rules, but among other publications Popular Mechanics seems to agree with me. Their article - dated by the models they featured - demonstrates that over a decade ago "sport tourer" was a pretty widely encompassing definition.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...eviews/1268546

Comparison Test - 10 Sport-Touring Motorcycles
Big-bore touring bikes with the handling and brakes to cash all the checks the engine can write.

Read more: Sport Touring Motorcycles Comparison - Best Sport Touring Motorcycle - Popular Mechanics

Among the bikes featured are bikes you might expect:

R1150 RT
ST1100
Kawi Concours
Ducati ST2

Some are a bit more sparse in accoutrements, but still easily considered Sport Tourers:

FZ-1
1200 Bandit
Triumph Sprint GT
Buell S3t Thunderbolt

And then a couple of bike manufacturers sure to elicit a thread full of tears here:

Harley Road Glide
Victory V92C

Also interesting is the history of the Motorcycle Sport Touring Association, which dates to 1982. Their concept centered around Sport Touring on the Honda Sabre. Notice they didn't call the Sabre a Sport Tourer, because that category of motorcycle did not exist. Sport touring was something you DID, not something you BOUGHT. They even decided to include the Honda Magna series of motorcycles:

History & Background of the MSTA
How a Honda Sabre club became the best known Sport Touring Organization
by Dana L. Sawyer - Founder - Member #0001

In the spring of 1982 I placed a notice in most major motorcycle magazines suggesting an association be formed around the notion of sport touring. Texan Dave Nicolson wrote back, “If you're going to start a club, I'm ready to join.”

When Dave became member #0002, he assumed the duties of Vice President. We discussed things like a logo, name, newsletter name etc. We gave some thought to calling the club the (Honda) Sabre Owners Club, but abandoned that idea in favor of letting (Honda) Magna owners join also.

http://www.ridemsta.com/membership/a...a/msta-history

So Maggot and friends can go on believing that Sport Touring has to be bought, and that you can't do it without the "right" bike, the "right" gear, and perhaps even an IBA T-shirt. Meanwhile there are thousands of people out sport touring every year on whatever they happen to own. And next time I go through Barrie Ontario I'll wave at Maggot and friends in the local Tim Hortons parking lot