Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #991
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Rocket View Post

According to my onboard "computer" I'm averaging 44.3 mpg; considering the bike is this considered good mileage?
I would consider this good, but it really depends on where you're riding, and how.

If you're just riding around town in stop-and-go traffic, 44 mph is pretty good. My FJR averages in the mid-30s if I just zip around town.

On the highway, I can average 47-48 mpg, and above 50 mph if I'm in the higher elevations (Yellowstone, for example).

All in all, though, I'd say 44.3 mph is "good."
Old 04-10-2013, 09:27 AM   #992
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:

According to my onboard "computer" I'm averaging 44.3 mpg; considering the bike is this considered good mileage?
I'd say that's decent. I average around 42 mpg on mine.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #993
TwoWheeldTerror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGSROOT View Post

Sport Touring is an activity; Sport Tourer is a specific style of bike, w/ certain parameters.

Therein lies the rub...
Sure but whether it is little sport or BIG SPORT, does not the bike need to be able to "sport"?

In other words it should come within, I dunno, say 75% of a sportbike in capability?

Riding across the US on a scooter is an adventure tour, not a sport tour.
TwoWheeldTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #994
TwoWheeldTerror
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
My theory (for USA, of course):

Most sport touring riders pick backroads and secondary routes for their trips. They travel solo, or in small groups. That makes the sport touring rider much less likely to be seen by another traveler, especially if that traveler is on a primary route.
I can say that I, and most every ST'er I ride with/know, fits this. We ride the I-state ONLY as a last resort or to get there QUICK. I would say that 85-90% of my ridding is on backroads, alone or with one other bike.
TwoWheeldTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #995
sweetwater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 442
To continue Rocker59's thoughts, the only time I ride with anyone else is if I am with one of my brothers. Very, very rare these days

Like most other ADV and ST riders, I spend plenty of time studying the maps and GPS to avoid the superslab. I avoid popular places on purpose and haven't attended a "rally" in many years. I camp combat-style as often as possible.

On to MPGs...my last GS consistently turned high 40s and occasionally low 50s with easy riding in Southeast. My Connie is competitive, but with these kind of mileage results I don't pay much attention. Any savings in fuel is offset by tyre prices

sweetwater screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 11:05 AM
sweetwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #996
Ricky Rocket
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeldTerror View Post
I can say that I, and most every ST'er I ride with/know, fits this. We ride the I-state ONLY as a last resort or to get there QUICK. I would say that 85-90% of my ridding is on backroads, alone or with one other bike.

I have settled on riding alone for the past several years. My friends who still own bikes (fewer each year) don't seem to have the same interests as me. They either want to ride to the bar and shoot pool and drink all afternoon, or just go someplace to eat. I usually ride early in the morning and try and go down roads I've never been on. Having a wife and two small kids, I can't just "take off" w/out them....doesn't seem right. So, I end up doing "mini trips" that only take a few hours away from the family. To be honest the quiet solitude of riding alone with my thoughts and exploring is kind of a relief from my hell-raising days on the Harley.
Ricky Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #997
JakeS
Yup

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
I have settled on riding alone for the past several years. My friends who still own bikes (fewer each year) don't seem to have the same interests as me. They either want to ride to the bar and shoot pool and drink all afternoon, or just go someplace to eat. I usually ride early in the morning and try and go down roads I've never been on. Having a wife and two small kids, I can't just "take off" w/out them....doesn't seem right. So, I end up doing "mini trips" that only take a few hours away from the family. To be honest the quiet solitude of riding alone with my thoughts and exploring is kind of a relief from my hell-raising days on the Harley.
Im in the same boat most of the time..
Except Sunday when i leave for TX for 2 weeks.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #998
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeldterror View Post
i can say that i, and most every st'er i ride with/know, fits this. We ride the i-state only as a last resort or to get there quick. I would say that 85-90% of my ridding is on backroads, alone or with one other bike.

+1
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #999
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 459
I agree with you guys, interstate only occurs with a need to hurry. I only have one friend who likes my routes, but he rides a gsxr and needs to refuel at half my tank.

Also, 47 mpg city, 56 highway.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #1000
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheeldTerror View Post
Sure but whether it is little sport or BIG SPORT, does not the bike need to be able to "sport"?

In other words it should come within, I dunno, say 75% of a sportbike in capability?

Riding across the US on a scooter is an adventure tour, not a sport tour.
Sorry Charlie, but a maxi scooter (400-650cc) is easily capable of 75% of a sportbikes capability and will tour far better any day of the week! As a matter of fact, my 400 Burgman will stay within sight of anyone I have ever ridden with on a twisted stretch of asphalt, cruise all day long on the highway at 70mph, has as good or better weather protection than any bike mentioned in this thread, will hold a weekends worth of clothes under the seat and gets 70mpg for your trouble. It is actually a better ST bike than 95+% of the bikes mentioned, but is it a ST? Nope, not by my definition, but that does not keep me from using it as one, just like all the rest of the bikes that are not ST bikes that people TOUR on.
I don't understand why defining a ST bike is so hard. As far as I know, BMW created the market and defined it with the R100RS which evolved into the RT series just as Honda defined the touring bike as soon as they put a fairing and hard cases on at the factory. Let me put it another way, I don't know who invented the pencil, but when I hear the word, I automatically think of the wooden one with the graphite center and a eraser on top. Sure there are other variations, but only one pencil, now that is defining something!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #1001
625SXC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
I swear I really can't comprehend the confusion in this thread.

So if I take backroads on a trip while riding my HD Ultra Classic does it then stop being a touring bike and become a sport touring bike?

With that same logic if a guy on an Sprint ST goes bar hopping with his leather clad buddies from work his sport touring bike then magically transforms into a chopper?

If my truck breaks down and Im forced to ride my KTM 525MXC to work for a week does it stop being a dirt bike?
2006 KTM 200 XC-W
2003 KTM 200SX/EXC hybrid
625SXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #1002
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
My attack the next 3 months in the southern Denmark. Actually made for gravel(21-18) but for now its an true sport tourer(17/17).

Old 04-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1003
Lloyd Christmas
n00b

Oddometer: 5
That is AWESOME, LocuL!

How much fuel does that fairing hold? How does it affect the handling of the bike? KTM Adventures are on my bucket list, well done with yours.
Lloyd Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 AM   #1004
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,135
Safaris at front vvould be 42l and rear are 18l
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #1005
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,599