Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #76
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Sounds like what you really want is the 2014 Yamha Super Tenere 850. 100 hp, 7.5" travel front
/rear, 475 lbs wet, $9299.00!.
Dude, you had me tickled pink for a second there, I thought you were serious and tried to google " 2014 Yamaha Super Tenere 850" and of course only this thread came up as any reference to this imaginary bike. It's a good idea thought.

I went back to the dealership today (that won't allow test rides) and sat on the '12 wee and tenere again. I have to say, at 6ft tall 180 lbs w/ 34in seam, the tenere felt.... awesome... I mean, like a glove. Then I sat on the wee and it was ok, but with my dimensions it felt a bit cramped and my knees didn't feel relaxed, too close together and too high up.... then I got back on the tenere... ohhhh.... what the heck did I miss the first time I sat on these two?! It didn't seem like this much of a difference last time! Basically, the tenere feels like it distribites my weight around the bike so well that there seemed to be no significant pressure points on any one body part. I can see why some owners say this bike "doesn't get in the way" of your riding experience meaning, you forget you're on a bike, you're just enjoying the journey. The wee wasn't bad at all, but for my frame, it didn't distribute my weight quiet as well and the bike sort of forced me to keep wigling in the seat to try to find the comfy position.

So... if I had to buy one today, it would be the Tenere, hands down. I am so glad I am taking my time doing my homework on the next bike. I'm surprised how the second round of arse to seat experience revealed new information. I must say, I left the dealership a little infatuated with the Yamaha. I think on top of being more comfy, the blue color got to me, it just looked very nice.

The dealership said they will get demo bikes in the first two months next year, so I may get a chance to ride them both, but at this point I am honestly most excited about trying out the "blue one" lol!
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:28 PM   #77
greywolf
Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer: 981
Need a more relaxed leg position? http://www.adventuretech.biz/product...p?ProductID=36

in order of ownership
1971 Honda CB350, 2 1973 Honda CB500s, one was stolen, 1974 Can-Am 175 TNT, 1978 Yamaha XS11, 1978 Honda CX500, 1975 BMW R90S, 1983 BMW R65LS, 2005 Suzuki DL650 totaled, 2007 Suzuki DL650A, 2012 Suzuki DL650A
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #78
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywolf View Post
Thanks, it's good to know this is an option. I will test ride both bikes either way.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #79
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
I have to say, at 6ft tall 180 lbs w/ 34in seam, the tenere felt.... awesome... I mean, like a glove.
Could have told you that ... 6', 34" inseam here, too.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #80
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger22 View Post
I know the Wee is a great motor and can take it but I just never liked the idea of the motor spinning that fast all day long. The motor never had a problem so maybe it is just all in my head but I do like the lower RPM of the Yamaha a lot better.
It's mostly in your head.

I wish mfgs would stop putting RPM numbers on the tach and instead put "% of redline" numbers. This would keep us from fixating on absolute RPM numbers which are not comparable from motor to motor. A Wee motor spinning 6K RPM (57% of redline) is quite likely happier than a S10 motor spinning 4500 (also 57% of redline). It certainly is smoother.

This thread seems like a no-brainer to me. If you don't care about the shaft, don't care about the extra power, don't care about the extra torque, and don't care about the traction control, then that leaves precious little reason to pay $7K more to haul around another 100-lbs of bike that you don't need and probably won't miss. The rest of the differences are relatively minor and in some cases, favor the Wee. And BTW, this is coming from an S10 owner.

If you REALLY don't care about the power and are sticking mostly to pavement, you might even consider the Honda NC700X or CB500X and save another $1K-$2K and another 45-lbs or so with the 500.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-23-2012 at 01:47 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 AM   #81
Too_Tall
The Belgian

Oddometer: 573
Very good post Mark. You nailed it, using logic and common sense.

I think buying a motorcycle should be a little less logic and common sense, and a bit more heart.

I had an 2008 Wee ABS. Loved it. Farkled it. "I will never need another bike"

I made the mistake of accepting a testride on a XT1200Z. After getting back on my Wee, I simply couldn't help but feel I was a kid peddling around on a pushbike after trying a mate's BMX. No offence to the Wee, it's propably got alot to do with the fact that I'm 6ft6in. Loved the roomy fit, the power, the shaft delivery, the power modes, the finish compared to the Wee.

2 months of hummmming and hawwwwwing later, and LOTS of going back and forth on it, I caved and got the XT1200Z. Sad to see the Wee go, but don't want it back at all.

Motorcycling shouldn't be all logic and practical and rational. I already have a sensible job, a sensible house, a sensible car even. I shop at a sensible store, I buy sensible clothes, I act and speak sensibly.

Motorcycling? I use my heart. So whatever you do, don't take a testride. You'll be smitten.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 AM   #82
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It's mostly in your head.

I wish mfgs would stop putting RPM numbers on the tach and instead put "% of redline" numbers. This would keep us from fixating on absolute RPM numbers which are not comparable from motor to motor. A Wee motor spinning 6K RPM (57% of redline) is quite likely happier than a S10 motor spinning 4500 (also 57% of redline). It certainly is smoother.

This thread seems like a no-brainer to me. If you don't care about the shaft, don't care about the extra power, don't care about the extra torque, and don't care about the traction control, then that leaves precious little reason to pay $7K more to haul around another 100-lbs of bike that you don't need and probably won't miss. The rest of the differences are relatively minor and in some cases, favor the Wee. And BTW, this is coming from an S10 owner.

- Mark
I actually like the fact that the motor is not spinning hard. It's not hurting anything either way, I used to spin the SV very hard a lot, but the feeling is very different at the same speed.

The suspension on the S10 is better also, if you can be bothered dialing it in properly.

And the S10 feels better off road than the Strom but I am talking about seat of the pants stuff here, which no matter what the spec sheet says. I don't really care if both bikes cover the same terrain in the same time with the same gnarliness. I arrive feeling better at the end of it and have more fun. - from experience that is. The S10 I find confidence inspiring while the Strom was doing it.

And having jumped back on the Strom after a 2 month break the difference were really obvious. I think maybe over time you forget the differences and get a bit fussy.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #83
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,094
I'm looking for new to me bike. I've got a three hour commute every day and I'm looking for something that is comfortable has abs and gets as good or better mpg then my civic hybrid 43mpg.

Both of these bikes are on my shorter list. I've spent som time, miles and money on and still have a dl650. '04.
I leave it at my folks place so I have alike to ride there.

Enough of the back story I'm leaning toward a dl650 really only due to the cost. For the difference in price I could get a decent modern dual sport and still set up the dl they way I want. Bags and seat, screen, gps and camera.

That saidi think the tenere is a very cool bike. Much better really then anything else in its true class. R1200gs etc.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #84
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
This is what Wee lovers won't admit, They are not that great gas miser when riden in real world traveling conditions.
My sons 990R was constantly using less fuel than my DL650 when we rode to Alaska, We rode hard and covered ground.
I love my dl650 & I not only admitted it, I posted it.

In fact, crossing the Great Basin, fully loaded trying to stay at an even 90mph, but sometimes edging up to 94 or so, I got in the just 31 mpg!

OTH, going from SLC to Yellowstone to Sandpoint, mostly on back roads/dirt roads I was getting over 60 mpg for most tanks. In fact cruising up the Maddison at 40mph in 6th gear and back (unloaded) on a cool evening netted me an astonishing 88 mpg! All of these parts were "real world" travel conditions.

So there you have it, the dl 650 gets from 30 to 90 mpg under real world world conditions.
• Peruvian Andes (3 months)
• N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) ••• Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:17 PM   #85
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

The RPMs don't bother me, the looks don't bother me, good mpg is nice but not significant enough to make or break a purchase. What really means the most is stability, ergonomics and overall comfort level. I don't want a bike that demands my attention when I'm riding it, I'd rather enjoy my surroundings instead. My first impessions tell me the Tenere has a good chance to take the cake in those respects, but... that still remains to be seen.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #86
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Tall View Post
Very good post Mark. You nailed it, using logic and common sense.

I think buying a motorcycle should be a little less logic and common sense, and a bit more heart.

I had an 2008 Wee ABS. Loved it. Farkled it. "I will never need another bike"

I made the mistake of accepting a testride on a XT1200Z. After getting back on my Wee, I simply couldn't help but feel I was a kid peddling around on a pushbike after trying a mate's BMX. No offence to the Wee, it's propably got alot to do with the fact that I'm 6ft6in. Loved the roomy fit, the power, the shaft delivery, the power modes, the finish compared to the Wee.

2 months of hummmming and hawwwwwing later, and LOTS of going back and forth on it, I caved and got the XT1200Z. Sad to see the Wee go, but don't want it back at all.

Motorcycling shouldn't be all logic and practical and rational. I already have a sensible job, a sensible house, a sensible car even. I shop at a sensible store, I buy sensible clothes, I act and speak sensibly.

Motorcycling? I use my heart. So whatever you do, don't take a testride. You'll be smitten.
Cool post. True for me too.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #87
WFRTony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Thanks, it's good to know this is an option. I will test ride both bikes either way.
The Yamaha has an adjustable seat. The Suzuki has a taller seat as a factory option. I am the same size as you, and I test rode the Yamaha with the seat in the low position and I thought that it would have been more comfortable with a higher setting. I was never comfortable with the factory seat on my '08 Wee, so I ended up purchasing a Seats Concepts aftermarket seat. Much better.

I suggested to a friend that he consider the Yamaha after his FJR was totaled, and he loves it. Last Summer him and his wife rode out to Nova Scotia and his wife thought that it was more comfortable than the FJR. He has the seat set at the highest setting, and he thinks I should take it for a ride, but I keep resisting because I don't want a motorcycle payment right now.

When I am ready for a new motorcycle, I will be looking at the new Wee, the 2014 DL1000, and the Yamaha.
WFRTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #88
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,800
there is only one way you are going to decide.On the face of it the strom is the choice BUT you your self have said thhat the suspension action will be very important.Ther eis only one way for you to see which one works as you like on YOUR roads
Old 12-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #89
Mr Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
O.k. I'm a noobee here,but not to m/c s, maybe a dumb question but no one is mentioning a Dl1000.....wouldnt that be an option? I am interested in this thread because I am torn between an r1150, tiger, strom, f800, super T, that being said, this is very good information, very helpful....
Mr Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #90
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mark View Post
O.k. I'm a noobee here,but not to m/c s, maybe a dumb question but no one is mentioning a Dl1000.....wouldnt that be an option? I am interested in this thread because I am torn between an r1150, tiger, strom, f800, super T, that being said, this is very good information, very helpful....
Are you sure "you are torn"?

I suspect you simply want a new bike and you would like all 5 of those.
That just makes you human.

No law against owning as many as you desire.