User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
tendonitis in clutch hand

I have been having some tendonitis in my left hand which riding in traffic irritates - so am looking to see if there's a way to lighten the clutch action. Do the levers by pazzo or wunderlich do this? I can't understand how they would as the clutch lever already has the dog leg bend to put the part of the lever near the front (pointer finger) as close as possible to the bars -- so how do they improve things -- is it a different cam action like a G2 Throttle tamer or what? Is it just a sharper bend? If it just moves the lever in more than stock can the clutch disengage completely? I just adjusted the lever as much as possible to reduce the reach and removed the beemer buddy foam on the left grip for the same reason, as well as rotated the clutch lever up a bit, so I'll try that this weekend. Any ideas would be welcome to help with my situation. I guess I should be glad that I don't have a dry clutch like my son's Ducati Monster -- that's a stiff clutch!! BTW The freeplay is set about 3mm or so per the manual.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
14TLC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
You can consider hydraulic clutch retrofit http://www.powersports.magura.com/en...ec-street.html
14TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14TLC View Post
You can consider hydraulic clutch retrofit http://www.powersports.magura.com/en...ec-street.html
Thanks -- I read the links here about it and several people claimed that it caused the clutch to fail prematurely. Would love to hear from anyone who has one. Does it cause premature failure? How much lighter is the pull?
Old 06-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
dem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
twalcom clutch kit + tendonitis

I've had the twalcom kit for ~10,000 miles now (19K on the bike.)

It's probably 30% lighter than the stock clutch. I can now ride for several days without my tendonitis getting so bad I can't bend my fingers when I wake up in the morning. It is also a lot less "grabby" when navigating low speed and modulating the clutch in 1st, which I find less fatiguing. You do need big hands, as the 'sweep' is as long or longer than the stock clutch, and you need all of it due to the reduced piston throw.

And yes, it is not an approved fitment. After 10K, I still have free play available, so I am just keeping an eye on it. Obviously all clutch/transmission related components are no longer covered by the BMW warranty. There was rumor of a touratech hydraulic clutch, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Best of luck, as of right now, there is no good answer.
dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #5
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem View Post
I've had the twalcom kit for ~10,000 miles now (19K on the bike.)

It's probably 30% lighter than the stock clutch. I can now ride for several days without my tendonitis getting so bad I can't bend my fingers when I wake up in the morning. It is also a lot less "grabby" when navigating low speed and modulating the clutch in 1st, which I find less fatiguing. You do need big hands, as the 'sweep' is as long or longer than the stock clutch, and you need all of it due to the reduced piston throw.

And yes, it is not an approved fitment. After 10K, I still have free play available, so I am just keeping an eye on it. Obviously all clutch/transmission related components are no longer covered by the BMW warranty. There was rumor of a touratech hydraulic clutch, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether.

Best of luck, as of right now, there is no good answer.
If I understand the physics correctly the twalcom hydraulic clutch basically lessens the effort by spreading the travel over a longer range and possibly eliminating some cable friction. It sounds like the "profile" (not sure what word to use here) is a little better in terms of clutch modulation -- so I'm assuming it's less effort when the plates are just separating or engaging, so to speak. Do I have this right? How much of a job was the install?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
dem
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
twalcom/magura hydraulic clutch install

Since the instructions are only in Italian, I had to fumble through with Google translate. Magura will not help, since it is a kit assembled by Twalcom. After staring at all the bits for a while, it was pretty obvious. The most critical part is the little washer/spacer that goes on the slave cylinder mount. This puts the clutch pull baaaaaarely in the correct place to function. I imagine if you left that out, you would burn up your clutch promptly.

You also need to route the tubing slightly differently, since the slave cylinder will not fit down the exact path of the cable clutch. There has been no rubbing of note in the past 10K, but I threw some non-shrinking PVC sleeving over the area it passes by the frame, just in case.

Good luck.
dem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ch-System.aspx
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMind View Post
Moose Racing Easy-Pull Clutch System
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ch-System.aspx
Anyone have it? Does it give full engagement / release of the clutch?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
MotoMind
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
Anyone have it? Does it give full engagement / release of the clutch?
I own one. It simply trades cable travel for leverage, with 3 possible settings. If your friction zone currently occupies 30% of your total clutch lever travel, using this device will cause it to occupy a greater percentage. I don't know that exact percentage, but I have never owned a bike where the friction zone already used a large amount of total travel.

The primary issue I ran into with it is that it can result in some unsightly cable bending if your cable takes a sharp dive through the triple clamps. It never caused a problem, but it wasn't desirable.

FYI, I've found that my bike shifts perfectly fine with no clutch or partial clutch action, though I imagine your primary problem is at stoplights and such.
MotoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
the stock clutch pull is very light.
I would try to learn to shift without the clutch.
I have been doing clutch less shifting for years and only use the clutch for high rpm down shifts, stops and when you need to slip the clutch off road.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
the stock clutch pull is very light.
I would try to learn to shift without the clutch.
I have been doing clutch less shifting for years and only use the clutch for high rpm down shifts, stops and when you need to slip the clutch off road.
Where I get into trouble is in our Los Angeles stop and go traffic jams. Unfortunately these can pop up anywhere here.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Wait for Rekluse to make the auto clutch for the F800 within the next year.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Rekluse for $800 sounds good for the slow traffic ~ but it seems like they haven't yet an exact fit for the 800.
Perhaps some expert advice on modification?

How high can you rotate the clutch lever upwards? Within limits, the more your wrist is angled upwards ["backwards"] the easier it is for the forearm muscles.

And good luck with the "tendonitis". It is often a vague & fluffy region for diagnosis, and more so for treatment.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
Medic
Window licker

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoody View Post
I have been having some tendonitis in my left hand which riding in traffic irritates - so am looking to see if there's a way to lighten the clutch action. Do the levers by pazzo or wunderlich do this? I can't understand how they would as the clutch lever already has the dog leg bend to put the part of the lever near the front (pointer finger) as close as possible to the bars -- so how do they improve things -- is it a different cam action like a G2 Throttle tamer or what? Is it just a sharper bend? If it just moves the lever in more than stock can the clutch disengage completely? I just adjusted the lever as much as possible to reduce the reach and removed the beemer buddy foam on the left grip for the same reason, as well as rotated the clutch lever up a bit, so I'll try that this weekend. Any ideas would be welcome to help with my situation. I guess I should be glad that I don't have a dry clutch like my son's Ducati Monster -- that's a stiff clutch!! BTW The freeplay is set about 3mm or so per the manual.

or, you could have a carpal tunnel release, and it's fixed.

FarRider #332.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #15
JGoody OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
or, you could have a carpal tunnel release, and it's fixed.
What's that?