Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #136
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
That's all factory as far as the fairing and gauges. I wish I would have bought the taller fairing windscreen when they still made them. They offer slightly more wind protection being about 5" taller, and came in lots of colors.

It's odd how some manufaturers started cheaping out on subsequent models to save some pennies. Honda was huge with cheaping out. Example, XR200 1985, rfvc, nice retainers and quality parts. 1986, 2 valve engine. Later 80's, cheap shock, no adjustments, then no speedo/odo. Then no lights, no toolbag. Even some of the nice steel/aluminum parts were made cheaper with stamped garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
So I checked out all the pictures you have of the bike...
http://www.bikepics.com/members/sbg1/90dr650/

Tell me more about the fairing on the bike? Is it factory on the 1990 DR or after market? And did the 1990's come with the gauges in the pictures?

Thanks,

Jon...

SBG screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 07:44 AM
SBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #137
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 327
That's the stock fender that came with european models of the DR600/650 models. I liked it way better than the american fender because it was designed to match the headlight fairing. I ordered the parts from Anderson Vintage Parts. I don't see it much any more, but back in the 80's, the big thing for running late night events/baja was painting the front half of the fenders black to prevent glare. I'm actually going to paint that front section black. I'm slowly removing traces of blue which I started doing with the white handguards and black fork gaitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
@Jon PDX:

Can you explain the grafted front fender?

I've seen this on a newer DR, a combination of SuMo fender and OE fender (said to help with high speed airflow), but not on an older DR that appears to be for looks only. BTW, nice job, looks sharp.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #138
DanMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Late!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertQben View Post
TM40 pumper and Phoenix, AZ Emissions Test
Has anyone ever gone through and PASSED, Maricopa County emissions on with TM 40 pumper equip DR650? Been working in Afghanistan the last year and a half and have a TM40 from Procycle waiting to be put on my DR but I also need to register and go through emissions testing, before I'm off to Colombia on my DR. Any suggestions??
Late to answer this:

BUT! You'll be fine. The AZ emissions test is as so: (I did it 4 months ago)

Roll up to the testing center give the guy your ticket and he'll check your vin or plate. You roll up into the emissions center, they place a smog sensor on your exhaust and you just idle. About 15 seconds worth.

Then you roll forward and the guy makes sure you have a gas cap like device somewhere near your fuel tank(I don't know what they actually check, but I passed with a broken gas cap). They then give you the paper work.

The pumper carb shouldn't effect your idle. Thats all they test. If you fail the idle test they make you do a test at 2500rpm or so. Just lean out the carb as much as possible without it over heating(and thus pumping out a ton of NOX).

Cheers!
DanMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:37 AM   #139
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
It's definitely summer where I live in south Alabama as temps are rising into the high 90's most afternoons and popup thunderstorms are here for at least a while longer. This encourages me to rise early and take care of outside chores before it gets unbearable. The past two days I did yardwork.

This morning, however, w/ the neighborhood's spiffiest yard, I decided to take the DR for a little spin. Donning safety gear (mesh jacket instead of the Aerostich) I headed out for a leisurely 20 mile spin on local backroads. My bike has only basic carb mods (drilled slide, raised needle, desnorkle) and is on Anakee 2's. 14 tooth C/S sprocket.

So here's my (rather obvious to this crowd) observation. Unless you ride two up a lot (I don't) or need to go a long distance requiring the use of the interstate or extended high speed runs (I do but only occasionally), the DR650 or some similar bike in it's class is a pretty good do it all mount. Great around town bike, fine on two lane roads at 60-65 mph, lots of fun on fire/dirt roads. Add good gas mileage and a dependable, easy to service motor and it's a pretty good combination. It could use a better seat (coming soon) and if it had another 10 hp I wouldn't complain, but for the money I have in my '98 ($2400 including purchase price, new starter clutch torque limiter from Jesse and a set of brand new Michelins from a fellow inmate) I don't have much to complain about.

Anyway, nothing here in the nature of new information, just another satisfied DR650 owner.

Ride safe, friends. Stay hydrated and have fun.

That is all.................................
Completely agree, except 1 part. I believe the DR is fine for 2-up. I often find myself riding with the girl on the back, and it seems to handle everything from around town to long highway jaunts just fine. I have 16\42 gearing and a sargent seat. I added a tool tube to the front of the bash plate, that also acts as highway pegs. My ONLY complaint is the lack of wind protection. Ive tried lots of shields, and nothing was as good as the Parabellum, but God is it UGLY! Now I have the Cee Baileys Commuter, and once I get that wheel back on, I'll finally get to try it.

I plan next year to do the 790 kit, and give it 60% more hp\tq. As of now, I dont plan on owning another bike at least with my current riding needs. Maybe some day a Suzuki Bandit in sport touring mode
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #140
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Completely agree, except 1 part. I believe the DR is fine for 2-up. I often find myself riding with the girl on the back, and it seems to handle everything from around town to long highway jaunts just fine. I have 16\42 gearing and a sargent seat. I added a tool tube to the front of the bash plate, that also acts as highway pegs. My ONLY complaint is the lack of wind protection. Ive tried lots of shields, and nothing was as good as the Parabellum, but God is it UGLY! Now I have the Cee Baileys Commuter, and once I get that wheel back on, I'll finally get to try it.

I plan next year to do the 790 kit, and give it 60% more hp\tq. As of now, I dont plan on owning another bike at least with my current riding needs. Maybe some day a Suzuki Bandit in sport touring mode
I hear ya' about the two up capabilities. It's just not anything on my 'must do' list. I'm sure your aftermarket seat helps in that regard too. Looks like a sweet setup w/ some cool mods on the way......

As for wind protection, my bike had an aftermarket add on screen when I got it. I immediately removed it and sold it. Just personal preference I guess. I prefer the clean air.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #141
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Mark View Post
Went out for a quick test ride after some recent upgrades...

Acerbis tank, Mefo Explorer tires, Denali aux lights, Eastern Beaver headlight relay, and NSU bolts.

Nice DR Mark. I too have the pro moto billet rack and kolpin fuel can. I can't figure out a way to mount it besides using my rok straps. What are you using?? TIA!
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #142
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,860
My bike of choice for the looming Acopolyps.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #143
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
It's definitely summer where I live in south Alabama as temps are rising into the high 90's most afternoons and popup thunderstorms are here for at least a while longer. This encourages me to rise early and take care of outside chores before it gets unbearable. The past two days I did yardwork.

This morning, however, w/ the neighborhood's spiffiest yard, I decided to take the DR for a little spin. Donning safety gear (mesh jacket instead of the Aerostich) I headed out for a leisurely 20 mile spin on local backroads. My bike has only basic carb mods (drilled slide, raised needle, desnorkle) and is on Anakee 2's. 14 tooth C/S sprocket.

So here's my (rather obvious to this crowd) observation. Unless you ride two up a lot (I don't) or need to go a long distance requiring the use of the interstate or extended high speed runs (I do but only occasionally), the DR650 or some similar bike in it's class is a pretty good do it all mount. Great around town bike, fine on two lane roads at 60-65 mph, lots of fun on fire/dirt roads. Add good gas mileage and a dependable, easy to service motor and it's a pretty good combination. It could use a better seat (coming soon) and if it had another 10 hp I wouldn't complain, but for the money I have in my '98 ($2400 including purchase price, new starter clutch torque limiter from Jesse and a set of brand new Michelins from a fellow inmate) I don't have much to complain about.

Anyway, nothing here in the nature of new information, just another satisfied DR650 owner.

Ride safe, friends. Stay hydrated and have fun.

That is all.................................
I ride 2-up, only with no one else aboard. (Hint: I'm pretty large, but not so much in charge) Because of that I don't allow anyone on.

In the last 5 years I've had a KLX250S, WR250X, KDX220, and YZ250, and I think the DR fits my personality to a tee. it does everything I want a bike to do at this point, and does it well, though it's not "the best" at any one thing.

The KLX was decent, but a bit light in power. PITA to wrench on
The WR250X was a blast to flick around onroad with the SM tires on, but not so fun in the dirt with the 18/21 wheels.
The KDX was fun for trails, but not for anything else. Plus, I was tired of the kick starter.
The YZ250 was just scary. I found myself doing things at age 42 that I hadn't done since age 17. I decided if I wanted to see 43 I'd better sell it.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #144
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
I ride 2-up, only with no one else aboard. (Hint: I'm pretty large, but not so much in charge) Because of that I don't allow anyone on.

In the last 5 years I've had a KLX250S, WR250X, KDX220, and YZ250, and I think the DR fits my personality to a tee. it does everything I want a bike to do at this point, and does it well, though it's not "the best" at any one thing.

The KLX was decent, but a bit light in power. PITA to wrench on
The WR250X was a blast to flick around onroad with the SM tires on, but not so fun in the dirt with the 18/21 wheels.
The KDX was fun for trails, but not for anything else. Plus, I was tired of the kick starter.
The YZ250 was just scary. I found myself doing things at age 42 that I hadn't done since age 17. I decided if I wanted to see 43 I'd better sell it.
Got it! I had a beautiful Transalp, but it was too nice to ride other than very carefully.
I had a KDX220, but was tired of the lever and the dirt only need for the pickup when I wanted to ride.
I'll get another pure street bike for longer trips when I start a new job, but for now the DR does all my 51 year old body asks of it......

I don't like sand.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #145
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec181966 View Post
My 2000 DR I picked up this spring. Fun bike and simple enough even I can work on it

I pick up this same year bike this spring as well and have had a great time riding it. But, mine has a rear rack! na,na!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #146
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,398
Quote:
Got it! I had a beautiful Transalp, but it was too nice to ride other than very carefully.
I had a KDX220, but was tired of the lever and the dirt only need for the pickup when I wanted to ride.
I'll get another pure street bike for longer trips when I start a new job, but for now the DR does all my 51 year old body asks of it......
I down sized from 4 bikes and kept the DR650 since I can't find full time work. I've done a few 1000/2000 mile trips now and I don't really miss my FJR surprisingly. I forgot how much fun a light bike is though, I might just stick with a smaller ride from now on. I don't miss the higher fuel cost, upkeep, tires, insurance and etc. The DR650 is easy to wrench on, I don't mess with dealer service.

I'm very happy with the DR, since I put the pelican hard cases on, it has done well as my touring machine, or for day rides.

The TM40 was icing on the cake. It gave me that smooth throttle response and I don't have to run the needle at 4 to stop the surging.

Its been about 2 years since I added a farkle now. I'm glad I had most of it done before I lost my good job.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #147
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Speaking of the TM40 pumper carb, will it provide roll-on wheelies?
My YouTube
Old 07-05-2012, 04:44 PM   #148
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Speaking of the TM40 pumper carb, will it provide roll-on wheelies?
i am not much into wheelies. but, i can tell you, w/the fcr39 carb, k&n cone filter, fmf powerbomb header, kientech hi-flow midpipe and tsukigi gsxr 1000 muffler, my bike, (w/stock gearing), you have to concentrate to not have the front wheel coming off the ground, when accelerating hard from a standstill. i am sure it is the same w/the tm40, when properly dialed in...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #149
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Niiiice! That is what I want to hear. I have similar upgrades and have been putting off the carb upgrade for over a year now. I have decided my next bike will be a 2nd DR650 and I will eventually transfer all the goodies to it.

The wheelies will come in handy on trail obstacles and water crossings.
My YouTube
Old 07-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #150
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
I down sized from 4 bikes and kept the DR650 since I can't find full time work. I've done a few 1000/2000 mile trips now and I don't really miss my FJR surprisingly. I forgot how much fun a light bike is though, I might just stick with a smaller ride from now on. I don't miss the higher fuel cost, upkeep, tires, insurance and etc. The DR650 is easy to wrench on, I don't mess with dealer service.

I'm very happy with the DR, since I put the pelican hard cases on, it has done well as my touring machine, or for day rides.

The TM40 was icing on the cake. It gave me that smooth throttle response and I don't have to run the needle at 4 to stop the surging.

Its been about 2 years since I added a farkle now. I'm glad I had most of it done before I lost my good job.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2

I hear you sagedrifter. I was in your neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. I grew up in Oxford and did my first two years of college at JSU. I rode up for a BBQ salad at The Rocket!! Lots of good riding in the area. We came up through Lineville and over Cheaha. What's up w/ the road on Skyline Drive being so torn up? It was that way last June when I was up for the races too.

I'm semi retired but lost the full time job I had in January. After I got back from the Superbike races a couple of weekends ago, I sold my VStrom and am down to just the DR. I may buy a dedicated streetbike down the road for longer trips w/ my brothers, but I'm not going to get in a rush. They both have dualsports too (a KLR and an XRL) so we ride a lot togther anyway.

I don't like sand.