Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #151
DR650SEDDY
ride2discover

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
The WR250X was a blast to flick around onroad with the SM tires on, but not so fun in the dirt with the 18/21 wheels.
WR250 was #1 bike for Stepnane Peterhansel (6 times Dakar winner -bike category- for those who don't know who he is) he drives cars in Dakar presently. He won 1997-98 world enduro Championship on that bike. Watch.
http://youtu.be/BAdiCDDLAp0
DR650SEDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #152
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Can't beat the 19". To be honest though, I think my next DR will retain the stock carb, just go with jetting. For off road adventures the pumper carb is amazing, but for daily commute and street duties I think I found it a little high strung.
Can you explain what you mean by "high strung"? Is it too responsive or jerky? My last bike was a WR250X and it was very hard to ride slowly due to the excessive response to throttle movement.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #153
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Dodge View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "high strung"? Is it too responsive or jerky? My last bike was a WR250X and it was very hard to ride slowly due to the excessive response to throttle movement.
i'd be curious as well. my street-only dr650, w/the fcr39 carb is as smooth as can be. certainly responsive as can be, as well, but i don't see anything wrong w/that!

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #154
epix1718
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Just returned from a 2000+ mile trip on the DR and not a lick of problems with it. Love these bikes, that's why I own two!

shortly after buying the '96

motarded '96 gets the wimmenz excited

96 and a fairly well farkled 97 I picked up (putting the 96 all back to stock)

97 with RMZ swap and bunch of other junk

Touring setup (mainly on road)

Purple Frames FTW
85 Yamaha BIG Wheel 200 & 88 BIG Wheel 350
Travel Blog: http://peteandluna.wordpress.com/
epix1718 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #155
RMac
Cheese!

Oddometer: 1,793
Sweet looking DR, what all have you done to it (besides the obviously visible stuff) ? What shield is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
My bike of choice for the looming Acopolyps.

RMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #156
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i'd be curious as well. my street-only dr650, w/the fcr39 carb is as smooth as can be. certainly responsive as can be, as well, but i don't see anything wrong w/that!

doug s.
I'll clarify mine... I was agreeing that I'd stay with a modded stock carb for the street mostly due to the "bang for the buck"....not anything related to a "high strung" feeling. Both the FCR and my TM40 have had excellent and controllable response. Just after riding LucidMayhem's dialed in stock carb, I'd spend the extra $300 elsewhere.

I can understand the twitchy feeling in traffic, though, since the response is immediate. A slight "roll on" feel might be better suited for some travel.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #157
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,399
The pumper carb just gives you instant throttle response. Is not magical, does not cause insane power etc.

If your happy with the BST, there is no need to spend the money. IMO the stock BST carb is best with the shimmed needle, extended pilot screw and no snorkle. I never liked the DJ needle. I lost way too much economy, going from 50/54 mpg to 45 mpg or less sucked. The TM40 gets me 50 mpg easy and I get the power of the jetted BST. I run my TM40 @ 3rd notch, 150 main and see 52 mpg cruising at 65 mph often with a gsxr exhaust. I never saw that kind of economy with a BST carb with the needle at 4 with a 150 Mikuni main. 3rd notch caused too much lean surge.

I just dislike vacuum carbs on a single though, its like having a rubber band throttle cable. It's just money, if you got it to spend ... Do it.

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #158
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,858
Valuable info...thanks guys.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #159
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I hear you sagedrifter. I was in your neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. I grew up in Oxford and did my first two years of college at JSU. I rode up for a BBQ salad at The Rocket!! Lots of good riding in the area. We came up through Lineville and over Cheaha. What's up w/ the road on Skyline Drive being so torn up? It was that way last June when I was up for the races too.

I'm semi retired but lost the full time job I had in January. After I got back from the Superbike races a couple of weekends ago, I sold my VStrom and am down to just the DR. I may buy a dedicated streetbike down the road for longer trips w/ my brothers, but I'm not going to get in a rush. They both have dualsports too (a KLR and an XRL) so we ride a lot togther anyway.
I ride 500 down from Piedmont often. Just got back from Maggie Valley though, I like taking the DR up through GA on dirt to Tellico when I have time... I have the big ole Safari tank, so I can leave Jacksonville and take the long slow route to Robbinsville without stopping.

I usually wear out before running out of fuel... I'm only 35 though, I can still squeeze out 300 miles of mixed roads in a day. Although the Safari tank will go more than 400 miles... We have some really cool options for dirt roads around these parts. The DR works well for my use. I'm hard to miss, just look for the tall fat guy on the dirty DR with too many farkles. ;)

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:13 PM   #160
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I'll clarify mine... I was agreeing that I'd stay with a modded stock carb for the street mostly due to the "bang for the buck"....not anything related to a "high strung" feeling. Both the FCR and my TM40 have had excellent and controllable response. Just after riding LucidMayhem's dialed in stock carb, I'd spend the extra $300 elsewhere.

I can understand the twitchy feeling in traffic, though, since the response is immediate. A slight "roll on" feel might be better suited for some travel.
+1
If anyone asked me "is the pumper carb awesome?" my response would be hell yes.
If I lived somewhere that wasnt 98% concrete I'd probably mount one again. I do love my wheelies.

To keep the pic vibe going.... this was my favorite DR "retreat" when I could find the time to get out of the city.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #161
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
The TM40 is a good carb, I have one from Procycle

But, IMO, if you haven't done your suspension, brakes, and controls yet, do that first. To me those mods were much more beneficial than the TM40. Especially coming from a well setup BST40, the difference just isn't drastic.

And you will thinking I am kidding when I say; the Yamaha R6 throttle tube did more for the butt-dyno than the TM40. No joke.

So to sum it up, do the suspension, brakes, and controls (including the throttle tube) before the TM40.

All my opinion, YMMV.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #162
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,687
Carving the Pig Trail in the Ozarks...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #163
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
"And you will thinking I am kidding when I say; the Yamaha R6 throttle tube did more for the butt-dyno than the TM40. No joke."

Ya BIG TIME difference
Old 07-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #164
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
+1
If anyone asked me "is the pumper carb awesome?" my response would be hell yes.
If I lived somewhere that wasnt 98% concrete I'd probably mount one again. I do love my wheelies.

To keep the pic vibe going.... this was my favorite DR "retreat" when I could find the time to get out of the city.

Nice. Old helmet? or do you need a Suz sticker to cover up the KTM on the back of it?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:23 AM   #165
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX
Bronco638,

Can't explain the fender because it's not my bike. But I'll bet SBG can since it's his bike.

It does look cool though. I also kind of like the fairing on his bike and I sure would like the gauges he has.

Jon...
Sorry about that Jon, I'm not quite sure how I messed that up. Need to pay more attention, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter
http://www.google.com/search?q=1990+...w=1920&bih=907

Looks like it was factory stock on some years. I like the look.
That is damn cool. I'm guessing that was a cost cutting measure on the later models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBG
That's the stock fender that came with european models of the DR600/650 models. I liked it way better than the american fender because it was designed to match the headlight fairing. I ordered the parts from Anderson Vintage Parts. I don't see it much any more, but back in the 80's, the big thing for running late night events/baja was painting the front half of the fenders black to prevent glare. I'm actually going to paint that front section black. I'm slowly removing traces of blue which I started doing with the white handguards and black fork gaitors.
Thanks for the follow-up.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote