Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #166
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236
I had a beautiful Transalp, but it was too nice to ride other than very carefully.
+1

I never got used to the top heavy feel of the TA, especially when the gas tank was full. Riding that thing on gravel and dirt would have wracked my nerves, especially with all that fragile, rare bodywork. I'm so much happier/relaxed with my DR.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #167
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
+1

I never got used to the top heavy feel of the TA, especially when the gas tank was full. Riding that thing on gravel and dirt would have wracked my nerves, especially with all that fragile, rare bodywork. I'm so much happier/relaxed with my DR.
What's up Bronco? I remember you from the Beast thread.

Yeah, I had a MAS335 bike. It's in another inmate's garage about a hundred miles south of me now. I'll probably wind up w/ it again one day, but for now the DR650 is a better fit.

I took the TA down plenty of dirt roads, but the thought of damaging the pristine plastic always kept me on my toes. I'm pretty easy on my bikes but I wouldn't be near as upset if I dumped the DR. I can go to the ADV fleamarket, and in a week's time, find anything I would need to get the DR back together. While MAS still has some parts, they are getting pretty scarce.

It was pretty cool though, a couple of years ago, to attend the AMA Superbike races at Barber's and have riders taking pix of my '89 model TA and wanting to ask questions about it.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #168
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
I'll clarify mine... I was agreeing that I'd stay with a modded stock carb for the street mostly due to the "bang for the buck"....not anything related to a "high strung" feeling. Both the FCR and my TM40 have had excellent and controllable response. Just after riding LucidMayhem's dialed in stock carb, I'd spend the extra $300 elsewhere.

I can understand the twitchy feeling in traffic, though, since the response is immediate. A slight "roll on" feel might be better suited for some travel.
when i got my bike, it awreddy had the motard wheel set-up, and the stock carb properly dialed in for the open airbox, and yosh muffler. it did run nice. but, since i got the bike really cheap, i decided it needed the hi flow midpipe and header, gsxr-style muffler and pumper carb, among other things. (yes, suspension was addressed as well, including the rm usd front end.) of course, finding the fcr39 w/merge racing spring installed, already dialed in for a dr650 w/open airbox and aftermarket muffler, all for ~$135 shipped, certainly didn't hurt!

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #169
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,917
Deal of the year, there, Doug. I agree on the suspension comments. I did the front & rear and found a lot of traction/handling improvements. I got my 2005 bone stock with 5100 road miles on it for $2,200 so I've tossed at least 1 1/2 times that in it with aftermarket fun.

One of the best things about the DR IMO......great to see how everyone makes it their own. Outstanding platform to start with, leave stock or drain the wallet.

GC8 - The Zombie Apocolypse bike looks good out there.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #170
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
Deal of the year, there, Doug. I agree on the suspension comments. I did the front & rear and found a lot of traction/handling improvements. I got my 2005 bone stock with 5100 road miles on it for $2,200 so I've tossed at least 1 1/2 times that in it with aftermarket fun.

One of the best things about the DR IMO......great to see how everyone makes it their own. Outstanding platform to start with, leave stock or drain the wallet.

GC8 - The Zombie Apocolypse bike looks good out there.
it was certainly a good deal on the carbie. but, the best deal was the bike itself. 2000 model, w/8k on it, motard wheels already installed, (rear wheel laced backwards), acerbis 4g tank, vapor trail tech speedo, trashed steering head bearings. all for the grand total of $1300. i took it home from manassas va to frederick md on the back roads thru midleburg va, and it was great. even w/badly offset rear wheel and loose steering head. now, it's a bit better.

ya, after all i spent on my dr, i coulda gotten one of those $4k sxv550's for the same coin, but i am happy w/the simplicity and reliability of this, and it is still a total hoot to ride.

doug s.
doug s. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #171
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
My new TM40 from Kientech is due to arrive today so I think I'll be spending the next few days risking Heat Stroke and praying for thunderstorms while installing it and getting it tuned. I hear Jesse dials them in pretty close to where they need to be so I don't anticipate much in the way of adjustments. It'll be nice to finally have the jetting corrected so I can get some much wanted/needed seat time on the bike. I'm also considering the purchase of a decent Air/Fuel Ration Monitor like the Innovate G5 to assist in dialing in the TM, as well as finally dialing in the stock BST Carb.

2 Quick questions; For a n00b like me with no welding experience, how much do you think it would cost to the the bung welded into the exhaust and where do you think the optimal location would be? (I have the oversized FMF Header installed if it matters)

I was thinking about just past the header's heat shield between the heat shield and the mid-pipe as far as location, since it's not so close that it overheats and not so far away that it gets false info by being too close to the exhaust cannister.

Then, It's time to remove the OEM forks and shock and replace them with the suspenders I sent to Cogent to be reworked. I received them last Friday, but it's been so hot here this week that I really haven't felt motivated enough to install them yet. I'm dying to try them out so even if I don't get the carb installed and jetted tomorrow, I think I'll take some time Sunday to remove the stock suspenders and install the re-worked stuff.
notarat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #172
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarat View Post
My new TM40 from Kientech is due to arrive today so I think I'll be spending the next few days risking Heat Stroke and praying for thunderstorms while installing it and getting it tuned. I hear Jesse dials them in pretty close to where they need to be so I don't anticipate much in the way of adjustments. It'll be nice to finally have the jetting corrected so I can get some much wanted/needed seat time on the bike. I'm also considering the purchase of a decent Air/Fuel Ration Monitor like the Innovate G5 to assist in dialing in the TM, as well as finally dialing in the stock BST Carb.

2 Quick questions; For a n00b like me with no welding experience, how much do you think it would cost to the the bung welded into the exhaust and where do you think the optimal location would be? (I have the oversized FMF Header installed if it matters)

I was thinking about just past the header's heat shield between the heat shield and the mid-pipe as far as location, since it's not so close that it overheats and not so far away that it gets false info by being too close to the exhaust cannister.

Then, It's time to remove the OEM forks and shock and replace them with the suspenders I sent to Cogent to be reworked. I received them last Friday, but it's been so hot here this week that I really haven't felt motivated enough to install them yet. I'm dying to try them out so even if I don't get the carb installed and jetted tomorrow, I think I'll take some time Sunday to remove the stock suspenders and install the re-worked stuff.

So you are installing re-worked DR650 forks? If so that should be a really quick swap, half hour to an hour! What did they do to them?
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #173
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
Going to try and share a pic of my DR in all her glory....

All stock except for the Corbin....
Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #174
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
So you are installing re-worked DR650 forks? If so that should be a really quick swap, half hour to an hour! What did they do to them?
Yeah they're re-worked DR forks from a 2004 or 2005 model. The shock is from a 2008 that I got on eBay, while the forks came from an inmate here.

All told, they came to $250 for the forks and shock, so I jumped at the chance since it allowed me to continue riding my bike while the suspenders were being re-worked.

Rick did the complete works on the rear shock, rebuild, valving, coating, heavier springs, etc. Same deal with the forks. Total rebuild, heavier springs, emulators, etc. and he replaced a broken stud on the forks.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:46 AM   #175
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,410
Does Kientech provide adapter rings for the TM40 now? A few guys never could get the boots to stay air tight without them. The stock fit is too loose.

Make sure any TM40 is air tight boot wise or you will have a lean cough and possible back fires or loud exhaust pop from day one.... or two...

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #176
notarat
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Does Kientech provide adapter rings for the TM40 now? A few guys never could get the boots to stay air tight without them. The stock fit is too loose.

Make sure any TM40 is air tight boot wise or you will have a lean cough and possible back fires or loud exhaust pop from day one.... or two...

Sent from my GT-S5690L using Tapatalk 2
I spoke to Jesse about this issue and he stated that the TM40 he sells comes as follows:

TM40
Custom Length Cables to be used by OEM throttle assembly
Adapter Rings pre-installed
Extended Fuel Screw
Pre-jetted with 152.5 Main (for my mods) Y2 Needle Jet, 40 Pilot (For my Temps and Elevation) #45 AP Nozzle
Stainless socket head screws
Return Spring set to lightest pull tension
Needle is in 3rd slot from top
Hand Choke (though the bar-mounted one screws into it just fine.)

He leaves the air bleed as is.

I'm set for main jets since I already have all the mikuni main jets from 140 to 170, so if I have to make any changes I should be okay.

Edited to add: $25 less than P.C.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #177
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandwash View Post
"And you will thinking I am kidding when I say; the Yamaha R6 throttle tube did more for the butt-dyno than the TM40. No joke."

Ya BIG TIME difference
i'm a believer
plugeye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #178
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,863

Thanks again to everyone for all the TM40 info...keep the testimonials coming!

My DR is an 05. I bought new with zero miles on the odo and it currently has 32k. Upgrades include .55kg front springs, ricor intiminators, superbrace, Scotts steering dampener, Cogent rear shock with heavier spring, Corbin seat, RM(Z?) throttle tube, dynojet kit with cut out air box, FMF Q4 full-system, IMS tank, Vapor computer, ADV Monster LED aux lights, and several other goodies.

I got the BST carb dialed in but want more power for roll-on wheelies

I really need to find someone locally who'll let me test ride theirs.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #179
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 493
I Luv my DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
... i changed the plugs once, i checked the valves once (they were in spec), and i change the oil every 3000 miles. that's it. ...
Oh man, I didn't know we were suppose to check the valves! I've got 85,000 miles on my DR now... I'd better check the valves.

Seriously tho, for my money the DR650 is the best all around motorcycle available. Here are a few pics of my trusty DR: "Captain Americas"

At home in California before the start of my first long adventure ride ( a true newbe )

The Dempster Highway in the Yukon Territories at midnight on summer solstice

The Dalton Highway in Alaska

Baja Mexico

Head Lighthouse near Portland Maine

Lost on the TAT in Utah looking for the entrance to Black Dragon Canyon

Black Dragon Canyon on the TAT in Utah

On the TAT in Nevada

A horse Trail in Southern Mexico

Capurgana Colombia

Canon del Pato Peru

Somewhere between Tupiza and San Vicente in Bolivia

Hand of the Desert in Chile

Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina

And my all time favorite: the main jump at the start of the Baja 1000 (complements of fellow inmate G.Kennedy)

I luv my DR

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:53 PM   #180
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,973
85K on a DR? Wow!! I'd be afraid to touch the valves now.

Thanks for the great pix brother. That has to be one of the more well travelled DR's out there............

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote