Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #211
Motojon76
Dirty side down

Oddometer: 47
My 09 I bought 1st week of May. Had 8500 miles on it and well farkled. I don't own a cage anymore and it has 14,116 miles on it now.

Riding all my life and this is something like #62-#64 LOVE. THIS. BIKE.

This is somewhere on the coast of Alabama after I bought the bike in TX and rode it back to FL. I ride it everyday.
Motojon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #212
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I would re-think your mounting methods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Mark View Post
It started with buying another bracket from Amazon.com

Then drilling holes in it to match the holes in the PMB rack so it can be bolted down.

I did the same with some 1/8" stock aluminum for extra locked-downedness.

Then I cannibalized the lower chain roller elastomer to create a bumper for support when the rack is in the down position.

Removing the bolts and re-orienting the brackets into the up position allows for a duffel to be strapped down on the rack

I still want to change the english bolts to some hex head bolts, but other than that it's pretty good. Haven't figured out a hinge or quick-release method, but that would be awesome, too.

-Mark
If you plan on doing any type of off-road riding with your current set-up, you will find that a full Kolpin fuel pack that weighs about 13 pounds will put enough stress on those small bolts that something is going to eventually break, especially in the upright position you designed. I have used a Kolpin fuel pack for many thousands of on and off road miles, but mine is mounted perfectly flat on a ridged carrier. Better to change it now, than risk having it fall off when you least expect it. Even strapped flat to your rear carrier is better than the method you have currently. Experience has taught me that the more complicated the mounting system, the more things that can (and will) break. Simple is good!

Ride Safe,

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #213
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The pumper carb just gives you instant throttle response. Is not magical, does not cause insane power etc.
A non cvt Carb will give you smoother running at low and mid rpms since vacuum of the big single is not bouncing the Carb slide all over.

FCR made a huge difference in that respect when I had it on my DR.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #214
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 397
Hello all of you DR650 owners. Saddlemen Seats is looking for a DR650SE to use to fabricate a new adventure oriented seat. You will get one of the new seats custom made for you for allowing them to use your bike. They have been using my KLR and asked me if I knew anyone with this type of bike. I don't know anyone so I thought I would post it here in case someone wanted to take advantage of this. They are located in SoCal. You can contact them via their website or call them directly. If you do go for this please mention that you were referred by Craig Schaffer, they give product as a finders fee.

Good Luck

http://www.saddlemen.com/

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #215
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Cool2 need to sell

Shameless plug, BST40 carb for sale off my DR, check it out:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...9#post19086709
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #216
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,914
Thanks for the kolpin mounting info mark and taz9.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #217
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercenary View Post
Here's my first submission in the "DR's with Heavy equipment" series of photos. Feel free to add...

My DR with a Caterpillar Butt-N-Top log loader.
I'm in!

My DR and a Link Belt limber/processor.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #218
Toxic Mark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
If you plan on doing any type of off-road riding with your current set-up, you will find that a full Kolpin fuel pack that weighs about 13 pounds will put enough stress on those small bolts that something is going to eventually break, especially in the upright position you designed. I have used a Kolpin fuel pack for many thousands of on and off road miles, but mine is mounted perfectly flat on a ridged carrier. Better to change it now, than risk having it fall off when you least expect it. Even strapped flat to your rear carrier is better than the method you have currently. Experience has taught me that the more complicated the mounting system, the more things that can (and will) break. Simple is good!

Ride Safe,

Taz9
Well there goes about $30 and the feeling of being a goddamn genius these last few days. back to the drawing board, lol.
Toxic Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:51 AM   #219
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
The original mount was one piece and held up well. The down side was that it was the 90 deg mount so no mounting the container flat on the rack .

Looking at the mount you have it appears you can remove the mount from the bracket and probably mount it directly to the rack. Then you could always strap the duffel on top of it on a trip.

Jon...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #220
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Flat works best...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
The original mount was one piece and held up well. The down side was that it was the 90 deg mount so no mounting the container flat on the rack .

Looking at the mount you have it appears you can remove the mount from the bracket and probably mount it directly to the rack. Then you could always strap the duffel on top of it on a trip.

Jon...
The Kolpin Fuel Pack is really well made and as Jon-PDX said, you can strap your duffel bag or other gear on top without any problems. I have a flat aluminum 12"x14" tail rack, and I lay the Kolpin Fuel Pack flat with the fuel cap facing to the back left side (away from the exhaust, just in case the filler cap leaks). I have a good quality bungee net that I use to hold it in place. I have used this simple method on many rides through some very rugged terrain, and it has never failed.

What you have to remember is that the gasoline in the fuel pack is sloshing around when you are riding, and in rough off-road riding it can really put some major stress on the mounting points. Having the fuel pack laying flat keeps the center of gravity low, and the bungee net allows for some give without stressing a hard mount system.

The filler cap should be snug, but not over tightened. The fuel pack will expand some, and it can make getting an over tightened cap hard to get off. Plus it will eventually damaged the rubber O-ring in the cap. Do not fill the fuel pack to the top. Leave a few inches for expansion or you will have problems.

Anytime you are loading gear on a motorcycle, try to keep the bulk of the weight over the rear axle. I see lots of bikes overloaded with way too much weight behind the rear axle. These setups can dramatically affect road handling and are a disaster waiting to happen when they go offroad.

Pack lighter, pack smarter and your adventure will be much more enjoyable!

Ride Safe,

Taz9

TaZ9 screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 08:06 AM Reason: spelling
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #221
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride-til-sore! View Post
Anyone have pic's of before and after of the head weld exhaust gob job? Thanks.
Anyone-Anyone?
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #222
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Anyone-Anyone?

TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #223
sandwash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
Here ya go:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/883...st__p__9193555
Old 07-09-2012, 09:43 AM   #224
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,926
Quote:
Anyone have pic's of before and after of the head weld exhaust gob job? Thanks.
Don't go knutz with the grinder, there are limits. I won't grind mine, I don't feel there's enough to gain. IIRC the pipe ID, with weld, is larger than the exhaust port diameter in the head.

There's a little cut-n-paste here, to omit trivial info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergDonk View Post
No doubt on the dyno, on some engines, you might get an extra poofteenth of a hp........
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintST View Post
If you were somewhere, in Mexico for example, with no Suzuki dealership nearby and your exhaust header gasket went kaboom what would you do?

The exhaust was off to do some rear shock work yesterday and worked fine until this afternoon. Now it's loud and backfiring all over the place. In a pinch what would you say to using a RTV High Temp silicone or would the pressure simply blow it off?

Well, I took the header off this morning to find out that there wasn't a gasket in there at all AND the end of the pipe was broken. Don't know why it broke because that's not a stress point. Pieced it back together with some JB Weld and now I wish I'd bought the quick set stuff. Damn those fine print instructions.
So much for the header weld grind.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #225
Ride-til-sore!
still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER70S-2 View Post
Don't go knutz with the grinder, there are limits. I won't grind mine, I don't feel there's enough to gain. IIRC the pipe ID, with weld, is larger than the exhaust port diameter in the head.

There's a little cut-n-paste here, to omit trivial info:
Um, ya looks like something to think about doing. Thanks for the info and pics guys!
Ride-til-sore! is offline   Reply With Quote