Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #226
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236
What's up Bronco? I remember you from the Beast thread.

Yeah, I had a MAS335 bike. It's in another inmate's garage about a hundred miles south of me now. I'll probably wind up w/ it again one day, but for now the DR650 is a better fit.

I took the TA down plenty of dirt roads, but the thought of damaging the pristine plastic always kept me on my toes. I'm pretty easy on my bikes but I wouldn't be near as upset if I dumped the DR. I can go to the ADV fleamarket, and in a week's time, find anything I would need to get the DR back together. While MAS still has some parts, they are getting pretty scarce.

It was pretty cool though, a couple of years ago, to attend the AMA Superbike races at Barber's and have riders taking pix of my '89 model TA and wanting to ask questions about it.
I thought your name and avatar looked slightly familiar.

Mark does some super-nice work. You were lucky enough to own it for a short period of time (and may again).

While I still think the TA is a very cool bike, I should have bought a DR650 instead. I had a DR350SE and wanted something that would do highway speeds, comfortably, yet still retain the nimbleness off pavement. I should have known to simply "step up" to the DR650. However, I really enjoyed the ride home, from Denver, on the TA. The new owner (I traded the TA for the DR) still is in love with it and it sounds like it's used often. I just wish I could get a few weekends to myself so I could finish my DR and get out and play some.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #227
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,721
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Jeep View Post
Speaking of the TM40 pumper carb, will it provide roll-on wheelies?
i tweaked & fiddled with the DynoJet kit, stock needle with spacers and other things for months... then i installed the KTM needle and larger main/pilot ($20 jet kit). done, haven't touched it since. i average in the upper 40s mpg wise.

wheelies are no problem even with 16/42 gearing & heavy sumo wheels.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 07-09-2012 at 01:36 PM Reason: mpgs..
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #228
AirborneAndy
Vagabond

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
Andy,

I agree that while the DR650 is not perfect, it is darn close for a strong, reliable adventure bike. I am on my second DR650 ( sold the first one to a guy that wanted to ride south of the border) and I find it perfect for exploring the Southwest, even at altitudes over 13,000 ft.

I have owned KLR's, DR650's, DRZ400's, the Honda XR250L, Super Sherpa 250, DRZ250, Honda Trans Alp, etc. I tend to leave my engines stock for ease of maintenence and reliability. I like the the Twin-Air Filters, and on a few of my bikes I have reduced the main jet one size down to help with the higher altitudes. My current DR650 is totally stock (Twin-Air Filter added) and it runs great at all altitudes. I plan to keep it and hope it lasts near as long as yours.

You can read some of my ride reports here at www.adventuremoto.us I started the site about seven years ago, but haven't updated it in a few years. I have done many more rides since then, but haven't had the time to get all the photos sorted. Maybe this year?

Thanks again for your great reports.

Taz9
Im looking for my 2nd DR now. Im gonna leave the stock jetting and go with a lightweight adjustable can that I am able to adjust to match the stock one. Great stuff on your website Taz!... luv the Moab pics... get that new stuff up already.

The book - Excuse me, which way is the Baja 1000?

AirborneAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:33 PM   #229
TaZ9
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
One ain't enough....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneAndy View Post
Im looking for my 2nd DR now. Im gonna leave the stock jetting and go with a lightweight adjustable can that I am able to adjust to match the stock one. Great stuff on your website Taz!... luv the Moab pics... get that new stuff up already.
You're looking for another DR650 when you've just got your current one broken in at 85,000 miles?? I guess it's probably about time...

The thing I like about the stock carburetor and jetting (minus the snorkel) is that it works so well in all conditions and I get great gas milage across the band. 58-62 MPG (by GPS) at speeds up to 65 and the lowest I have ever gotten was 45mpg on a 400+ mile trip across I-70 here in Colorado at 70-75 mph. And the DR never missed a beat.

Glad you liked the pics and reports. I will try and get more posted soon.

Ride safe,

Taz9
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #230
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,036
Sweet Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I grew up in Oxford and did my first two years of college at JSU.
Small world - I went to Sacred Heart Catholic School and started high school at Anniston High. We lived in Oxford briefly until my family bought a house on Midway Ln (behind the old drive-in movie). I haven't been back that way in ages since my family is now in Mobile. I'll holler when I head down - maybe a few of us can pull together a ride.
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #231
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 2,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9 View Post
You're looking for another DR650 when you've just got your current one broken in at 85,000 miles?? I guess it's probably about time...

The thing I like about the stock carburetor and jetting (minus the snorkel) is that it works so well in all conditions and I get great gas milage across the band. 58-62 MPG (by GPS) at speeds up to 65 and the lowest I have ever gotten was 45mpg on a 400+ mile trip across I-70 here in Colorado at 70-75 mph. And the DR never missed a beat.

Glad you liked the pics and reports. I will try and get more posted soon.

Ride safe,

Taz9
I wish I could get that kind of gas mileage! I just got back from a week in AR - a little over 2000mi - on my '12 DR650SE. I averaged about 43mpg so I'm in the market for an aftermarket tank. I'm not supermechanical and what I've read about having to fit the larger tank with a new petcock that has to be turned off when you're parked daunts me.

While I'm at it, a couple of other questions: is everyone's 5th gear jerky when you roll off the throttle? Mine lurches as if it's starving for fuel (carb has been opened and mixture adjusted, nothing further) as I decelerate, it's definitely not a smooth roll off/ decel. I don't notice it in other gears. The bike's got a bit over 2600mi on it now.

Also, is it just me or are the stock tires crappy in the gravel? I have Metzlers on my XT250 and love them, no problems there, but when I turn into my gravel driveway on the DR the rear end scoots out a bit. Most of my riding is backroads and gravel - probably 70% paved, 30% gravel. The DR makes me feel skittish in gravel. Any thoughts?
HappyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #232
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCRNA View Post
Small world - I went to Sacred Heart Catholic School and started high school at Anniston High. We lived in Oxford briefly until my family bought a house on Midway Ln (behind the old drive-in movie). I haven't been back that way in ages since my family is now in Mobile. I'll holler when I head down - maybe a few of us can pull together a ride.
Cool!!

I graduated from OHS in '79 and did two years at JSU before going to work for the state and moving to LA in '81. Went back up for a year to take a promotion in '94 then moved back here.

My mom worked at RMC for years and once she finished her RN she worked at Stringfellow for a while.

Make sure to holler when you pass through......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #233
doug s.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post
i tweaked & fiddled with the DynoJet kit, stock needle with spacers and other things for months... then i installed the KTM needle and larger main/pilot ($20 jet kit). done, haven't touched it since. i average in the upper 40s mpg wise.

i have the same sprockets as you - 16/42, but w/the rear sm wheel/tire - 150/60/17 - the gearing is yust about identical to stock 15/42...

doug s.
doug s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #234
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagespeed View Post

Thanks for the info & pic, I'm going to try this out.
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #235
ungeheuer
DRongo

Oddometer: 31
Hadnt visited TODR thread for a couple of weeks..... and when i did it was like Monty Python's "is the the right room for an argument?" sketch .

I never had much to say over there anyway. Maybe I'll hang out here instead, if you'll have me .

A few pics of where my DR is currently at...

Notable mods not apparent in the pics include:
YSS fork springs and emulators (not better or worse than the more preferred brands, but I like 'em).
Elka rear shock.
TM40 carb.
Opened airbox.
Weld ground & ceramic coated stock header pipe.

Its not the perfect bike.... nothing is. But I love it's can-do, no shit nature.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #236
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Hadnt visited TODR thread for a couple of weeks..... and when i did it was like Monty Python's "is the the right room for an argument?" sketch .

I never had much to say over there anyway. Maybe I'll hang out here instead, if you'll have me .

A few pics of where my DR is currently at...

Notable mods not apparent in the pics include:
YSS fork springs and emulators (not better or worse than the more preferred brands, but I like 'em).
Elka rear shock.
TM40 carb.
Opened airbox.
Weld ground & ceramic coated stock header pipe.

Its not the perfect bike.... nothing is. But I love it's can-do, no shit nature.

Welcome aboard, sir. That's a great looking bike. I dig the checkered flag design. Gret job on the dash set up too. Tell us more about it............

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #237
ungeheuer
DRongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Welcome aboard, sir. That's a great looking bike. I dig the checkered flag design. Gret job on the dash set up too. Tell us more about it............
Thanks.

The dash? Nothing much to tell.... BC Lynx with Vapor speedo... Touratech GPS mount... Home made LED dash indicator lights... A couple of powerlet outlets - one switched, one hot.

And a fuse panel hiding within...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #238
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post

Nice DR, love that dash set up and Safari tank. What is that box mounted by the rear sprocket?
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #239
ungeheuer
DRongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
Nice DR, love that dash set up and Safari tank. What is that box mounted by the rear sprocket?
Thanks for the kind remarks. The "box" is the standard issue Aussie rego label holder, every year you pays yer money and gets a new one - its no longer orange, this years is blue .
Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #240
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
ungeheuer,

Can you tell us more about the fairing/windscreen/dual headlight setup? It looks familiar but I can't remember where I've seen one before.

Thanks,

Jon...