Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #241
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug s. View Post
i have the same sprockets as you - 16/42, but w/the rear sm wheel/tire - 150/60/17 - the gearing is yust about identical to stock 15/42...

doug s.
yeah, i run 70 series for the ding-free curb hopping. good highway speeds and i can still pull it up, wheelied through the guard shack on the way home yesterday. lol.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #242
ungeheuer
DRongo

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
ungeheuer,

Can you tell us more about the fairing/windscreen/dual headlight setup? It looks familiar but I can't remember where I've seen one before.

Thanks,

Jon...
Jon, its a Lynx faring made up in Canada by Britannia Composites >> http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...roducts/lynx16 << Comes in a variety of options. Lights are fabulous. Mine has Hella HID low beam and halogen high beam. The fairing itself serves its purpose reasonablly well although the only position I can tolerate the variable screen height is right down at its lowest. Too much buffetting at any other height setting. I like it, but its not inexpensive.

ungeheuer screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 06:12 AM
ungeheuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #243
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,103
Thanks for the info on the Lynx faring. Wow you're not kidding about the cost ouch.

It does look good though.

Jon...
Old 07-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #244
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,976
DR350 dash on a DR650?

I've searched but haven't found a good answer.

Does anyone know if the speedo/tach setup from a DR350 (or even DR250) will fit/work on the DR650? Specifically, my '98 model.

I kinda like the idea of a tach and I prefer the analog version to a digital model.

Thanks

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #245
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Thought it about time I posted a pic of our DR here. Almost an "action" shot !
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #246
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungeheuer View Post
Hadnt visited TODR thread for a couple of weeks..... and when i did it was like Monty Python's "is the the right room for an argument?" sketch .

I never had much to say over there anyway. Maybe I'll hang out here instead, if you'll have me .

A few pics of where my DR is currently at...

Notable mods not apparent in the pics include:
YSS fork springs and emulators (not better or worse than the more preferred brands, but I like 'em).
Elka rear shock.
TM40 carb.
Opened airbox.
Weld ground & ceramic coated stock header pipe.

Its not the perfect bike.... nothing is. But I love it's can-do, no shit nature.
Bikes looking great Love the look of that headlight. I know what ya mean about screens tho. Spent countless hours experimenting with them over the years. I seems the more vertical they are and higher they are, the worse the buffeting. Take Ktm 950/990 for example. Would like more details on what you've done. Is the shock a special of off the rack for DR ?
Old 07-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #247
ungeheuer
DRongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Bikes looking great Love the look of that headlight.
Thanks. Your part of the world is looking great too. I had a ball riding a rented GS500 and a yellow DR650 (not simultaneously ) around parts of your South Island a few years back. Some of the planet's best riding IMO.

Quote:
I know what ya mean about screens tho. Spent countless hours experimenting with them over the years. I seems the more vertical they are and higher they are, the worse the buffeting. Take Ktm 950/990 for example. Would like more details on what you've done.
Screens. I give up. The BC Lynx fairing's screen set at its lowest is the best I've been able to come up with..... Tried Screensforbikes screen, which looks good but I couldnt get along with it no matter what i did. My stock healight cowl is riddled with holes from all those experiments. Tried the screensforbikes screen mounted to the BC Lynx fairing using home made madstad type brackets.... high, low, angled back, straight... further away with an air gap behind it.... .

Quote:
Is the shock a special of off the rack for DR ?
Elka makes 2 different shocks for the DR, with or without remote hydraulic preload adjustment. But they build each one to your own requirements with regard to weight.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #248
llamabomb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Question

What kind of tires are you running on your DR, goodcat8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
+1
If anyone asked me "is the pumper carb awesome?" my response would be hell yes.
If I lived somewhere that wasnt 98% concrete I'd probably mount one again. I do love my wheelies.

To keep the pic vibe going.... this was my favorite DR "retreat" when I could find the time to get out of the city.

llamabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #249
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Another pic of the DR in Adv Paradise !
Old 07-13-2012, 11:49 PM   #250
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamabomb View Post
What kind of tires are you running on your DR, goodcat8?
Tkc80
I got my rim sizes so that I could mount them. Fantastic tire on everything. Melt like butter in the pavement though.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:39 AM   #251
ungeheuer
DRongo

Mt21

Quote:
Tkc80
Fantastic tire on everything. Melt like butter in the pavement though.
Same seems to be true of MT21 too.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:42 AM   #252
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Bikes looking great Love the look of that headlight. I know what ya mean about screens tho. Spent countless hours experimenting with them over the years. I seems the more vertical they are and higher they are, the worse the buffeting

Exactly, so why not just go without one? Can't get any lower than just the stock fairing. At 70mph I don't notice any buffeting on my head or body with no windshield. Sounds like you have spent a lot of time and money fixing a problem that didn't exist.
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #253
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Exactly, so why not just go without one? Can't get any lower than just the stock fairing. At 70mph I don't notice any buffeting on my head or body with no windshield. Sounds like you have spent a lot of time and money fixing a problem that didn't exist.
Remember this is the no Pissing and Moaning thread. Where would we all be if we didn't try to improve things. Some people will swear by the screen on that headlight and others will hate it just the same as every other screen setup out there. Plus the twin headlight has to have way more light than the stock DR.
AND it looks damn cool and thats reason enough to buy one.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #254
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,976
Yeah, the windscreen thing seems to be pretty much personal taste. I'm not in love w/ the rectangular light and rarely ride at night, so I"m not losing sleep over it. At some point I want to replace it w/ a round headlight anyway.

As for wind protection, when I got my bike it had an aftermarket add on screen. I rode with it on for a half hour, removed it and sold it here. It gets pretty hot where I live, so the clean, unobstructed air feels pretty good to me.

I"m old enough now to remember when bikes didn't have windscreens at all except for the odd bikini fairings like those on the R90S. When the Windjammer came along, it changed everything.

And just a note because I'm working on my second cup of Saturday morning coffee and have a quiet house since my girls are still asleep and I have nothing better to do at the moment. (Suiting up for a ride shortly though) The 'rules' on post #1 of this thread are put there pretty much toungue in cheek style. There will always be disagreements as to what works best. Personally, I don't have a problem w/ that as long as the conversation doesn't degrade to name calling and schoolyard silliness. I just created this thread as an alternative to what had become pretty mean spirited on the regular DR thread. At some point, when inmates are publically ranting over and over (and over and over and over..............) about an issue that should be addressed offline and then telling each other to 'shut the hell up and mind your own business', it's just not any fun any more. I joined here to chat/learn about other bikes and to make some new riding buddies. If that's naive of me, I'll accept that.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.......

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #255
ungeheuer
DRongo

Quote:
To keep the pic vibe going.... this was my favorite DR "retreat" when I could find the time to get out of the city.

Great looking bike, fabulous locations too