Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #886
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
I just reused the stock throttle tube also, wasn't a big deal to me. Cut the grip off and shave the plastic down with a utility knife if you are tool limited. A high speed drill or a die grinder or a bench grinder with a wire wheel makes it go much quicker.

I epoxied heating elements to mine, been on there a few years now.
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #887
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Are there just 3 fuses on the DR? The 30 amp on the starter relay and the two 10 amp fuses for the headlights? The shop manual shows a fuse between the battery and the ignition switch; is that the 30 amp fuse perched on the starter relay or is there another one buried under the tank someplace?

Thanks...I'm chasing gremlins and feeling like its Miller time!
BluesCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #888
KiwiMtnClmbr
Fresh!

Oddometer: 50
Gremlins abound

On gremlins... I had a 'lil one rear it's head during a gas stop on my first group ride yesterday. I'd also appreciate any insight into where to start my search for full power loss that only returned after removing the side panels and seat which must have jarred something back into place.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #889
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMtnClmbr View Post
On gremlins... I had a 'lil one rear it's head during a gas stop on my first group ride yesterday. I'd also appreciate any insight into where to start my search for full power loss that only returned after removing the side panels and seat which must have jarred something back into place.
You were with Walter ? He sent me that pic of mike working on it.
How about the side stand safety switch ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #890
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Quote:
That sounds like what is going on with mine! Total power loss, then it comes back on for no obvious reason, now its off again. Wiggled and thumped everything that can be wiggled and thumped. Nada!

Is there a hidden line fuse somewhere other than the 3 I know of? It isn't the side-stand switch, as there is absolutely NO power. No neutral light, no headlights, nothing. The battery is good and those 3 fuses are OK.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #891
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
If there is no power at all and you have a good battery, the ignition switch harness needs a good look see. If the head light and dash lights work still, then the kill switch could need attention. The little red button on the right can get dirty and cause issues. No power at all makes me think the main ignition harness has shorted or the switch failed.

I've heard of some older bikes with burned through wires near the front where the harness bends and moves the most. Some are tighter than they should be. I loosened mine up, its was too tight IMO, but there was enough slack when routed right.

sagedrifter screwed with this post 08-12-2013 at 01:08 PM
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #892
BluesCruiser
Adventurer

Found the gremlin!! Under the tank is a green multi-wire connector that was still plugged together but had gotten loose. I guess the little clippy-thingy that is suppose to hold it tight has lost its snap. I tightened it up with a zip-tie.

So simple once you find it!!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #893
KiwiMtnClmbr
Fresh!

Oddometer: 50
So it was me with Walter and gang. Not the side-stand switch or kill-switch as I've already bypassed both of those. It seemed to be somewhere along the ignition circuit, most likely near the connection/fuse underneath the seat on the right leg side. I'm leery of trying to intentionally get it to lose power but if the next go-round with the meter doesn't turn anything up that will be the option.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #894
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
So it was me with Walter and gang. Not the side-stand switch or kill-switch as I've already bypassed both of those. It seemed to be somewhere along the ignition circuit, most likely near the connection/fuse underneath the seat on the right leg side. I'm leery of trying to intentionally get it to lose power but if the next go-round with the meter doesn't turn anything up that will be the option.
Sometimes bypassed safety switches can rear their ugly heads ... depending HOW they were bypassed. Double check they are still sound and not going intermittent on you.

If you're at home, I would not hesitate to start wiggling and pulling on wires ... unless you need your DR650 every day for transport. If not, wiggle a way and find that fault.
Will have to be done sooner or later anyway. Proceed slowly and carefully.

Look at the wiring harness up near the steering head, right side. When bars are turned, harness RUBS on frame, can sometimes abrade through protective sheath.

Pull off front cowl. Have a close look at harness routing, look for rubbing or wear spots. Suzuki has done a really good job in general on the wiring routing. Most problems start when well meaning owners get creative with re-routing or doing mods incorrectly.

Good Hunting ... a VOM meter is your friend.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #895
FLASH1970
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here's my 92 DR650

I picked this up a few weeks ago. Pretty easy to ride. I don't have much riding experience and so far it's been really easy to handle. I live in SE Wisconsin. It needs to be dropped a little bit for me. I like being able to have both feet flat on the pavement if I'm stopped, not just my toes or one foot flat. Gas tank is dented and the seat is ripped. But other than that, it runs, handles well, suspension does it's job... It's been re-geared for highway riding, forks were rebuilt, aftermarket exhaust and carb re-jetted for it.

FLASH1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #896
drdubb
OFWG

Oddometer: 335
Check out seat concepts foe new foam and cover. Easy do it yourself.
'71 SL 350 - Honda
drdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #897
Nessman
Cluttered Minimalist

Oddometer: 1,538
My DR650 is my every day commuter. Six miles to work, six miles home she always answers the call and seems to have fun doing it. I've washed her once in the two years we've been together but she doesn't seem to mind as long as her chain is lubed and she has clean oil in her case. I don't remember the last time I rode her for fun, if I ever have, she's a working girl and I respect her for that.

How's that?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #898
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1970 View Post
I picked this up a few weeks ago. Pretty easy to ride. I don't have much riding experience and so far it's been really easy to handle. I live in SE Wisconsin. It needs to be dropped a little bit for me. I like being able to have both feet flat on the pavement if I'm stopped, not just my toes or one foot flat. Gas tank is dented and the seat is ripped. But other than that, it runs, handles well, suspension does it's job... It's been re-geared for highway riding, forks were rebuilt, aftermarket exhaust and carb re-jetted for it.
Hi FLASH, welcome to the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessman View Post
I've washed her once in the two years we've been together but she doesn't seem to mind as long as her chain is lubed and she has clean oil in her case.
I can only offer this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
Quote:
I don't remember the last time I rode her for fun, if I ever have, she's a working girl and I respect her for that.

How's that?
A girl's gotta do, what a girl's gotta do.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #899
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
My DR650 is my every day commuter. Six miles to work, six miles home she always answers the call and seems to have fun doing it. I've washed her once in the two years we've been together but she doesn't seem to mind as long as her chain is lubed and she has clean oil in her case. I don't remember the last time I rode her for fun, if I ever have, she's a working girl and I respect her for that.

How's that?
sounds good
but we cant see it
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #900
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Put my dr 790 for sale in the flea market, here's the link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22384945
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote