User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #121
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
SFS - great view.

GC8 - I'll be ridin' on your previous set of ADV wheels today. Can't wait.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #122
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,729
BTT!

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #123
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyHunter View Post
SFS - great view.

GC8 - I'll be ridin' on your previous set of ADV wheels today. Can't wait.
Take pics!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #124
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,985
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
I loved the DR you sold recently. When I get back to work full time, I'm going to think about adding the pumper carb to mine and I'm definitely doing the 19" front wheel conversion. I'll probably just get my stock hub relaced and keep the stock rear.
Can't beat the 19". To be honest though, I think my next DR will retain the stock carb, just go with jetting. For off road adventures the pumper carb is amazing, but for daily commute and street duties I think I found it a little high strung.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #125
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Took this route today. The 19 front is a lot of fun. It inspired confidence and stupidity at the same time.

I have a 47 mile loop from the house with 30 miles with no traffic controls (stop signs, lights, etc) in the middle. Some decreasing radius turns marked 15 MPH, high double digit sweepers and a 2 mile straight where I check overall wind resistance and stability.

I'll get a shot of the wheels on the bike this weekend.

As much as I like my TM40....it's big benefit is offroad in the technical stuff. I rode LucidMayhem's DR with a well sorted stock carb and if I was not doing the rocky crap I end up in, that'd be my choice, too.

Rocky crap I end up in.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #126
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
flat front

OK guys I need some help...
My girlfriend and I went riding 2 weeks ago. It was the first time riding with my dad (him on the Piaggio, and my GF and I on the DR) we went about 30 miles, and stopped at an outlet store. I came back out my DR and it had a flat front tire. I tried to fill the tire, and it didn't help. I was going to ride it to the motorcycle shop down the street, but my girlfriend was with me, and she called her sister, who was near us with a horse trailer. she took us home. My original tube popped on the rim lock (1\2" hole). I set up new tube, and remounted the tire. I couldn't get the tire to seat right, and went for a small ride. Tons of vibrations from the front end. I tried to remount the tire, used plenty of Windex for lube, and got nowhere. In fact, the tube popped again, in the same spot. out of curiosity, I measured the rim, and it was oval by a 1/8".

This completely scared me, and I bought a 19" rim, and I'm having it mounted to my hub. I feel like I used the oval rim as an excuse, since I've wanted the 19". I don't know why the original tube popped, as I checked the pressure and added 4 psi right before the ride.

My discomfort: What if that happened while riding? With my girlfriend on the back? What could have caused my rim to go oval? the bike had 20,000 miles on it before me (27,000 now), and I'm not sure of the history, but I baby this bike compared to what others do. How often do you see a tube just let go? Did I do the smart thing by just getting rid of the 21" or should I have worked on it?

I need some answers guys.. I'm sort of afraid of the tubes now, and fear they will let go any second.

planemanx15 screwed with this post 07-05-2012 at 07:44 AM Reason: confusion
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 AM   #127
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I haven't had and flat fronts yet, but I had a few flat rears last year. Mine were all punctures though, not holes. But what I found was I never even noticed the tire had a leak until after I stopped. If I kept riding the tire stayed mostly inflated. Don't know if this would be the case with a hole, and the front is scarier than the rear, but you may be able to keep enough control to stop. I certainly don't want to try that though!
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #128
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by planemanx15 View Post
OK guys I need some help...
My girlfriend and I went riding 2 weeks ago (first time with my father, GF and me on the DR)

It wasn't the weight of your girlfriend on the back, it was the weight of you father on the tank that did it! Lol
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #129
planemanx15
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
It wasn't the weight of your girlfriend on the back, it was the weight of you father on the tank that did it! Lol

HAHA I should reword that... My dad was on our Piaggio Bv 250, GF and I on the DR.
planemanx15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #130
jessepitt
Ride More

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
HAHA I should reword that... My dad was on our Piaggio Bv 250, GF and I on the DR.

I was enjoying the mental image of the three of you riding like a cambodian family.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #131
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,740
@Jon PDX:

Can you explain the grafted front fender?

I've seen this on a newer DR, a combination of SuMo fender and OE fender (said to help with high speed airflow), but not on an older DR that appears to be for looks only. BTW, nice job, looks sharp.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #132
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

http://www.google.com/search?q=1990+...w=1920&bih=907

Looks like it was factory stock on some years. I like the look.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #133
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Bronco638,

Can't explain the fender because it's not my bike. But I'll bet SBG can since it's his bike.

It does look cool though. I also kind of like the fairing on his bike and I sure would like the gauges he has.

Jon...
Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #134
TinkerinWstuff
Take it apart

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
What could have caused my rim to go oval? the bike had 20,000 miles on it before me (27,000 now), and I'm not sure of the history, but I baby this bike compared to what others do. How often do you see a tube just let go? Did I do the smart thing by just getting rid of the 21" or should I have worked on it?

I need some answers guys.. I'm sort of afraid of the tubes now, and fear they will let go any second.
It can happen over time or with some hard landings. A spoked wheel can be re-trued rather easily with a little training or a local wheel shop can do them affordable as well. A wheel shop down in Denver reroutes the spokes to make the wheel more rigid and help keep it from happening again.
TinkerinWstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #135
AST236 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,005
An observation

It's definitely summer where I live in south Alabama as temps are rising into the high 90's most afternoons and popup thunderstorms are here for at least a while longer. This encourages me to rise early and take care of outside chores before it gets unbearable. The past two days I did yardwork.

This morning, however, w/ the neighborhood's spiffiest yard, I decided to take the DR for a little spin. Donning safety gear (mesh jacket instead of the Aerostich) I headed out for a leisurely 20 mile spin on local backroads. My bike has only basic carb mods (drilled slide, raised needle, desnorkle) and is on Anakee 2's. 14 tooth C/S sprocket.

So here's my (rather obvious to this crowd) observation. Unless you ride two up a lot (I don't) or need to go a long distance requiring the use of the interstate or extended high speed runs (I do but only occasionally), the DR650 or some similar bike in it's class is a pretty good do it all mount. Great around town bike, fine on two lane roads at 60-65 mph, lots of fun on fire/dirt roads. Add good gas mileage and a dependable, easy to service motor and it's a pretty good combination. It could use a better seat (coming soon) and if it had another 10 hp I wouldn't complain, but for the money I have in my '98 ($2400 including purchase price, new starter clutch torque limiter from Jesse and a set of brand new Michelins from a fellow inmate) I don't have much to complain about.

Anyway, nothing here in the nature of new information, just another satisfied DR650 owner.

Ride safe, friends. Stay hydrated and have fun.

That is all.................................

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote