Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
Travism OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Question 2012 800GS throttle improvement?

So i had my 2011 800GS in at the dealer a couple weeks ago and they loaned me a new 2012 for the day. The first thing i noticed was a big improvement in the throttle response over my 2011. The initial roll-on in the 2012 was much smoother and the 0 to a-little-bit-on lurch I am so used to seemed to be absent. Last weekend I was at the RawHyde/Touratech rally here in WA and was talking to a fellow who was on his second f800, a new 2012 (he had an 09 previously) and i asked him if he noticed anything different about the throttle on the 2012 model vs the older model. He replied: "yeah. they fixed it!!"

The question: has anyone else noticed this? Or better yet, does anyone have info about what the "fix" was? Better better yet, is it something that can be applied to older models? I've tried the plugin dongle thingy that alters the fuel mapping, and it seems to help a bit, but i still struggle with the jumpiness. I'm looking at trying the G2 as well.

Mostly I'm just curious if this is something BMW has officially addressed and intentionally corrected in the 2012, or, like the surging in the r1100 boxers from 12 years ago, its something they just quietly fixed without ever acknowledging there was an issue in the first place.

Travism screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 02:45 PM
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
I have a 2012 and I find it a little twitchy in 1st but totally manageable.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Travism OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
HH, have you compared your '12 to an earlier model? Just wonderin'.
Travism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I bought the power commander from coonass and I'm happy with a noticeable improvement on the twitch. I'm happy with that. Now just to find a wee different gear ratio. Problem between 1st and 2nd gear, it just isn't right for slow control. The F650gs has great torque for low speed control.

I agree too what did BMW do to fix this surge,twitch issue? Mapping, or throttle curve in the throttle housing?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
I would not expect BMW to announce any change that corrects a problem. Short of a recall, changes are made with service upgrades to the dealer if done during production of that model year.

The cure would be simple enough, change the low rpm fuel mapping. I am sure the original mapping was to address Europe's emission standards.
Sometimes mods are done to meet standards that are years in the future. An example is mandated ABS required by 2017.

I do not know if this is the norm, but my dealer claims he has no knowledge of what is contained in any software change. Just following orders.

They extract the old software when installing new. "Maybe" they could/would install it, if asked.

itsatdm screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 01:54 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #6
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
I bought the power commander from coonass and I'm happy with a noticeable improvement on the twitch. I'm happy with that. Now just to find a wee different gear ratio. Problem between 1st and 2nd gear, it just isn't right for slow control. The F650gs has great torque for low speed control.

I agree too what did BMW do to fix this surge,twitch issue? Mapping, or throttle curve in the throttle housing?
Yea, and it has a taller gear ratio. Wish my F8 had the F658 engine

Current bikes F800GS-EXCF350-Versys-690R-RZ350
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

It would be cheaper to just fix the problem. Power commanders, the fuel modules coupled with a G2 throttle tube do that.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Sieg,
I'm sure you know the F650gs uses the same motor as the 800, just de-tuned. It is very noticeable on slow technical terrain, the difference between the two bikes. The 800 need the clutch feathered between 1st and 2nd to keep the RPM's in a happy place. The 650 loves 2 nd gear slow progress technical terrain without bogginess or low RPM stall.

I'd like to find that happy place on my 800. Gear change right? Front less a tooth?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

See my above post. With the mods, my bike is very difficult to stall period. It will accelerate from 1,800rpm in 6th gear on a slight paved incline.

You are right about the differences. Different cams with ignition timing to match. The big problem with the F800gs is very lean fueling below 2,200 rpm. Since I cannot find a dyno report of the F658 with Air fuel ratio's I cannot compare. Love to see one. I do know this, if you put the 658 counter sprocket on the F800gs it does a very good job of masking the abrupt throttle syndrome. I ran it for a year and only took it off for some rougher trail I planned to do.

I believed the myth of Superior Triumph 800 HP until I found a comparison dyno of the two. The BMW makes more HP and torque, except for a small band, all the way up to 8,500rpm.

I have a feeling it may be the same for the F658.

itsatdm screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 11:50 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,757
I put a Trottletamer on my 2011 and it made a big difference. The new cam on the throttle takes up cable a lot slower at the start so it isn't as twitchy.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
HappyHighwayman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
No I haven't tried a pre-2012 model.

I'd like to go power commander route perhaps with an after market exhaust but I'm worried about killing the warranty.
HappyHighwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #12
Krap To Maintain

Oddometer: 191
I sold my KTM 990 to buy a 800 and the 990 also had a twitchy throttle, more so than the 800 but after a while you learn to apply the throttle at the correct rate and the problem goes away. I don't have a problem with the 800 not sure if its because its the 2012 model or not, but I don't think you need to spend money trying to fix the problem just need to restrain your wrist or keep it all the way open

14 BMW GS 1200 LC
13 KTM 1190 Adv
08 KTM 990 Adv
990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Works if you have wrist of steel. I could not do that, negotiating a field of rocky terrain. Between feed back from the suspension and the light switch low rpm throttle, I was just looking for another rock to hit at mach1.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho911 View Post
Sieg,
I'm sure you know the F650gs uses the same motor as the 800, just de-tuned. It is very noticeable on slow technical terrain, the difference between the two bikes. The 800 need the clutch feathered between 1st and 2nd to keep the RPM's in a happy place. The 650 loves 2 nd gear slow progress technical terrain without bogginess or low RPM stall.

I'd like to find that happy place on my 800. Gear change right? Front less a tooth?

with the 41 on the rear, going to a 16t front is great. you lose a bit of high end speed but you can always switch back to 17 for road trips.

i'm about to put on a 44t supersprox rear and an 18t front for road trips and 17t for everyday. the gear ratio is slightly more relaxed so it should be a great combo.... I can also put my 16t on to make it a torquin' wheelie machine.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #15
Vitruvian Mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
What he said! I spent some hairball hours this weekend with superhuman throttle management efforts to keep the F8 from lurching WTFO or stalling. Some significant, rocky, and very featured trails up in the area of Independence pass in Colorado. Great trail, but it is very clear the throttle cam or electronic equivalent needs some love on this machine.

I'm wondering about the Throttlemeister mentioned earlier.

vMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Works if you have wrist of steel. I could not do that, negotiating a field of rocky terrain. Between feed back from the suspension and the light switch low rpm throttle, I was just looking for another rock to hit at mach1.
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote