Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
Ack535
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 94
Awsome pics, enjoyed your report. Many of the places you have documented in your ride report, I have been to. Keep up the good work!
2005 FJR 1300 R.I.P. 9/2012
Ack535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
KYMike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Day 5 & 6, Friday June 15th & Saturday June 16th

I finished my meetings Friday afternoon and returned to the hotel. After loading up the bike, I put my riding gear on and hit the road. I had to be in Lexington, KY at 11am on Saturday for a family reunion. I planned to ride a little more than half way, then stay in a hotel for my last night on the road.

I got on Hwy 275 South headed for Toledo and immediately ran into traffic. It was only about 3:30pm, but there was road construction. The usual congestion at 275 and 96/14 was worse than normal. Maybe being on the bike made it feel worse. I think this was close to 94, it wasn't too bad at this point.

Once I got South of 94 it cleared up. I took 275 until it hit 75, then headed South towards Toledo. Anyone who's been on this stretch of road knows how rough it is. When I see the Ohio sign, I'm happy. I know from experience the road gets smooth immediately upon entering Ohio. I also look over at Lake Erie and realize I've seen 4 of the 5 Great Lakes on this trip. Hadn't really considered this when I was planning the route.

Not too many pictures, but I snap this one as I reach Findley, OH. From here, I get on 68 and take the smaller 2-lane road to Wilmington, OH.

No more pictures for today, but a lot of wind blowing across the open fields. I pass through Kenton, Bellfontaine, Urbana, Springfield, Yellow Springs, Xenia, and finally Wilmington. After reaching the hotel, I check my stats.

I don't know if it's the combination of working, riding, and the wind, but I'm exhausted when I reach the hotel. I order a pizza then crash for the night.

Saturday morning I leave by 8am for the 3 hour ride into Lexington, KY. I'm staying on 68 all the way in. As I approach the Kentucky border, I take a few pictures of the Ohio river and bridge.

Then I find myself in Paris….uh, Paris, KY that is. My wife's cousin lives here and I wonder if I'll see her headed to the reunion.

I reach the reunion in Lexington and spend several hours with my wife's family. I then drive home to Elizabethtown, and spend the last 25 miles riding in the rain (no rainsuit). Why bother this close to home? It actually felt good. I check my final stats. Overall I rode around 1,800 miles in the course of the trip.

A few days later I give the bike a good bath.

Although this is the 4th "out of state" camping trip I've taken in the last three years, this is the first one covering so many miles, over so many states, and for multiple nights. I'm no Radioman, IdahoSam, or any of the others mentioned on Day 1, but I finally feel worthy enough to put this ADV sticker on the bike. I give the Paradise, MI sticker a home as well.

That's it. Thanks for following along! I hope you've enjoyed it.
KYMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #18
Tee2
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,229
Good Job. One of these day we will cross the bridge.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 PM   #19
chris93372
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Great report!

Thanks for posting!
chris93372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMike View Post

The other path gives you this view.

Hey I know where that was taken

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4548702_n.jpg

I was standing in that exact spot about a year ago

Enjoyed your report. I love riding in the UP. Dont get up there nearly enough and I live in Michigan!
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #21
N-Id-Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
just say Ya to da UP, eh?

Great report.

Turned 18 in Arts bar.. (legal then)
N-Id-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #22
dave6253
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,003
Thumb

KYMike,

I just found this little gem that I missed since you posted it while I was on the road. I enjoyed your report to lands very foreign to me. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
motofan936
FNG

Oddometer: 39
Thumb Michigan

Great report, the route up the west coast into the up is on my short list of trips for this summer. We usually head south out of Indiana, but have been wanting to circle the lake.
Please keep writing as you get the chance to moto.

PS. Thanks Dave for digging this one out of the archives :I was sure to have missed it.

'08 XB12XT Uly,'06Roadglide,06CRF250
Less judgment than wit is more sail than ballast.
motofan936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #24
Oldbutslow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Being a little, maybe a lot, late to the party, I sure enjoyed reading your trip! ,BK
Old 10-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #25
sophijo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
........another late arrival

Nicely done thanks!
sophijo is offline   Reply With Quote