Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 03:28 AM   #1
yaounde OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Welcome to Camerooon

Hello from Cameroon.
I am a Catholic priest of the Dominican Order. I live in Cameroon since 1993. I am a manager of an orphanage in Yaounde in Cameroon. I have two bikes KLR 650th Both in very good condition and ready to African conditions. If anyone would be interested in visiting Cameroon on my motorcycle is a possibility. You can rent them here on the site. You can live with me and make trips to several days in different parts of Cameroon. Sorry for my English. I use google translater

Cameroon, officially the Republic of Cameroon (French: République du Cameroun), is a country in west Central Africa. It is bordered by Nigeria to the west; Chad to the northeast; the Central African Republic to the east; and Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and the Republic of the Congo to the south. Cameroon's coastline lies on the Bight of Bonny, part of the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean. The country is called "Africa in miniature" for its geological and cultural diversity. Natural features include beaches, deserts, mountains, rainforests, and savannas. The highest point is Mount Cameroon in the southwest, and the largest cities are Douala, Yaoundé and Garoua. Cameroon is home to over 200 different linguistic groups. The country is well known for its native styles of music, particularly makossa and bikutsi, and for its successful national football team. French and English are the official languages.

Early inhabitants of the territory included the Sao civilisation around Lake Chad and the Baka hunter-gatherers in the southeastern rainforest. Portuguese explorers reached the coast in the 15th century and named the area Rio dos Camarões ("River of Prawns"), the name from which Cameroon derives. Fulani[5] soldiers founded the Adamawa Emirate in the north in the 19th century, and various ethnic groups of the west and northwest established powerful chiefdoms and fondoms. Cameroon became a German colony in 1884.

After World War I, the territory was divided between France and Britain as League of Nations mandates. The Union des Populations du Cameroun political party advocated independence, but was outlawed by France in the 1950s. It waged war on French and UPC militant forces until 1971. In 1960, the French-administered part of Cameroon became independent as the Republic of Cameroun under President Ahmadou Ahidjo. The southern part of British Cameroons merged with it in 1961 to form the Federal Republic of Cameroon. The country was renamed the United Republic of Cameroon in 1972 and the Republic of Cameroon in 1984.

Compared to other African countries, Cameroon enjoys relatively high political and social stability. This has permitted the development of agriculture, roads, railways, and large petroleum and timber industries. Nevertheless, large numbers of Cameroonians live in poverty as subsistence farmers. Power lies firmly in the hands of the authoritarian president since 1982, Paul Biya, and his Cameroon People's Democratic Movement party.

At 475,442 square kilometres (183,569 sq mi), Cameroon is the world's 53rd-largest country.[49] It is comparable in size to Papua New Guinea and somewhat larger than the U.S. state of California.[24][50] The country is located in Central and West Africa on the Bight of Bonny, part of the Gulf of Guinea and the Atlantic Ocean. Cameroon lies between latitudes 1° and 13°N, and longitudes 8° and 17°E.

Tourist literature describes Cameroon as "Africa in miniature" because it exhibits all major climates and vegetation of the continent: coast, desert, mountains, rainforest, and savanna.[51] The country's neighbours are Nigeria to the west; Chad to the northeast; the Central African Republic to the east; and Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and the Republic of the Congo to the south.

Cameroon is divided into five major geographic zones distinguished by dominant physical, climatic, and vegetative features. The coastal plain extends 15 to 150 kilometres (9 to 93 mi) inland from the Gulf of Guinea[52] and has an average elevation of 90 metres (295 ft).[53] Exceedingly hot and humid with a short dry season, this belt is densely forested and includes some of the wettest places on earth, part of the Cross-Sanaga-Bioko coastal forests.[54][55]

The South Cameroon Plateau rises from the coastal plain to an average elevation of 650 metres (2,133 ft).[56] Equatorial rainforest dominates this region, although its alternation between wet and dry seasons makes it is less humid than the coast. This area is part of the Atlantic Equatorial coastal forests ecoregion.

Countryside near Ngaoundal in Cameroon's Adamawa Region.

An irregular chain of mountains, hills, and plateaus known as the Cameroon range extends from Mount Cameroon on the coast—Cameroon's highest point at 4,095 metres (13,435 ft)[57]—almost to Lake Chad at Cameroon's northern border at 13°05'N. This region has a mild climate, particularly on the Western High Plateau, although rainfall is high. Its soils are among Cameroon's most fertile, especially around volcanic Mount Cameroon.[57] Volcanism here has created crater lakes. On 21 August 1986, one of these, Lake Nyos, belched carbon dioxide and killed between 1,700 and 2,000 people.[58] This area has been delineated by the World Wildlife Fund as the Cameroonian Highlands forests ecoregion.

The southern plateau rises northward to the grassy, rugged Adamawa Plateau. This feature stretches from the western mountain area and forms a barrier between the country's north and south. Its average elevation is 1,100 metres (3,609 ft),[56] and its average temperature ranges from 22 °C (71.6 °F) to 25 °C (77 °F) with high rainfall between April and October peaking in July and August.[59] The northern lowland region extends from the edge of the Adamawa to Lake Chad with an average elevation of 300 to 350 metres (984 to 1,148 ft).[57] Its characteristic vegetation is savanna scrub and grass. This is an arid region with sparse rainfall and high median temperatures.

Cameroon has four patterns of drainage. In the south, the principal rivers are the Ntem, Nyong, Sanaga, and Wouri. These flow southwestward or westward directly into the Gulf of Guinea. The Dja and Kadéï drain southeastward into the Congo River. In northern Cameroon, the Bénoué River runs north and west and empties into the Niger. The Logone flows northward into Lake Chad, which Cameroon shares with three neighbouring countries.

yaounde screwed with this post 07-01-2012 at 03:34 AM
yaounde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
yaounde OP
n00b

Old 07-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Edventure
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Sounds like an adventure waiting to happen
Edventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
yaounde OP
n00b

KLR-650 in Cameroon

Hello, my name is Darek, I am dominican priest and I run a catholic mission in Camerun.
I have two Kawasakis KLR 650 that came here on wheels, so they're africa proven.

I would like to invite you for a vacations.
You can get here by plane - Royal Air Maroc. Flights aren't very expensive.
I will provide sleep and food in simple conditions.
I can lend those bikes, and you can make a few days trip from here.
They say that Camerun is a little africa - you can see everything here - an ocean, rain forests, pygmy people, savannah, and high mountains (like Mont Camerun), Sahara desert and some national parks making just 2-4 thousands instead of dozens kilometers.
If you are interested - please, feel free to contact me at darek@misja-kamerun.pl
Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
Lollopollo
Lei mi segue ovunque

Oddometer: 4
Hi Darek,

I am going to work for some years back and for in Cameroon in Yaoundé and Kribi.
I have alreaby been in Cameroon and the land is beautiful. I'd love to ride few days with your bikes.
Probably next year. Where are you based?

Ciao
Lorenzo
Lollopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
Mirmil
overlander

Oddometer: 442
Right now Father Darek have 3 motorcycles in Youande, Cameroon.
2x KLR 650 and Africa Twin XRV
All three motocycles are fully booked for this winter 2013/2014
We will post more pictures from Cameroon in march
Please check this website
http://ridemyride.com/index.php/klr-...on-africa.html

I arived Cameroon after 11 000 km journey in 2012, from Europe

Kaukaz ADV trips. Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia. Just ask.
Mirmil is offline   Reply With Quote