Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #1
Pilgrim21784 OP
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 89
Yamaha XT250 or TW200? Opinions

Hey Folks,
I'm about to buy my first dual sport, totally new to off road riding and wanted to garner your opinions on my two choices. I've narrowed it down to either the Yamaha XT250 or TW200, primarily based on seat height(s) and my planned riding environment. I've read quite a few threads on both units, both here on AdvR and other forums. I just wanted to get a concise and one stop shot on your opinions on my choices.

My riding environment will be basically very light off road use, primarily dirt farm roads and well defined forest trails. Not interested in hard core dirt riding or anything close to that, just want a knobby tired ride to leisurely explore non-paved, low speed dirt roads. I can use sub-50MPH paved roads to get to my dirt road areas so on-highway use is not a huge factor.

I understand that the TW200 is not good on 55MPH or greater paved roads and that the XT250 has a broader speed range regarding any paved road usage. My area (central MD/southern PA) has a bunch of new leftover ('09 to '12) TWs & XTs available and I've done the seat test/ergonomics fit stuff but haven't ridden either one.

1st important question - are their any differences/improvements between model years on either bike that would lead you to pick one particular year over another? Obviously, the older the model year the better discount/deal I can make.

2nd Q - given my defined riding environment, which would you choose and why?

I'm particularly interested in any experience you may have with traction differentials between the two rides and/or maintenance related issues. I don't do any of my own maintenance, I've an experienced Yamaha mechanic who makes house calls.

Many thanks for any input. :)
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
martinfishlog
martinfishlog

Oddometer: 23
The xt225 would be better for tire choices. The Suzuki dr200 is a great little bike with performance parts available through keintech.

Isn't the Yamaha fuel injected?
martinfishlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
martinfishlog
martinfishlog

Oddometer: 23
Xt250 is the new fuel injected one
martinfishlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Pilgrim21784 OP
Pilgrim21784

Oddometer: 89
Does the 2013 XT250's FI offer a huge advantage cost/benefit & performance wise over the earlier models with a carburetor? Obviously going to a current model year kills the discounts available on new leftovers.
Pilgrim21784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Sweetzombiejesus
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have a TW200. There are no significant changes in the TW200 over its lifetime. The largest changes happened in 2001 with a carburetor change, the addition of a front disc break and the removal of the kick start (there is a kick starter kit to add one back on now if you like). Other then that there have been almost no changes other then color/graphics over the years and a couple minor things here and there.
The largest down sides I have seen with the TW are the tire choices (you have two models of tire, that I know of, that are a direct fit for the rear, the other options are to force on an ATV tire which can be dangerous.) The other issue is the speed you mentioned. It will do 55, it will even make it up to 65 with a sprocket change, but you will be full throttle to do it. Oh, and the seat is brutal but the Coleman seat cover is a decent 20 dollar fix.
Other then that, I love the bike. I haven't ridden the XT so I can't say much about it. You should check out the tw200forum.com, a lot of info on the bike there, and some members also have XTs if I am not mistaken.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #6
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,186
My tw200 would do 70 mph on the street and felt fine doing it.
The tw200 is going to be very easy to ride, the big fat tires make it easy to ride off road.
I put 700 miles on mine without falling in the dirt, a record for me on any bike.
It will get you through nasty stuff without a lot of effort.

You really should get a used bike, I got my like new tw200 for $900.00, put 700 miles of rough dirt use on it and sold it for $2000.00....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Both the tw200 and the xt250 are unchanged between 2009-2012, except for graphic colors and different color front fender for both in 2012 (white instead of black), the new 2013 xt250 is fuel injected, so that will cost more for sure.

I own a 2009 XT250 and its been a great bike, i can do freeway at 75mph + for as long as i want/need to, and climb any trails with this bike, but the reason why i choose it over the other dual sports out there is the comfort, its a very comfortable bike, no need to add anything to the seat, feels great, ive done 4 hours on mine 50/50 riding and my butt was fine, lol.

Ive seen a few tw200's, but never ridden one, but yeah, if you are not gonna ever want to do 75mph, then get the tw, but from what i read you are trying to do, both bikes should be fine for you, the tw i personally did not like, cause it was a bit too small for me.

heres mine.

its a great road bike, and does excellent in the trails

Whatever you get, should be a great bike.
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
My tw200 would do 70 mph on the street and felt fine doing it.
The tw200 is going to be very easy to ride, the big fat tires make it easy to ride off road.
I put 700 miles on mine without falling in the dirt, a record for me on any bike.
It will get you through nasty stuff without a lot of effort.

You really should get a used bike, I got my like new tw200 for $900.00, put 700 miles of rough dirt use on it and sold it for $2000.00....
Never rode the XT ( new model is FI .....and yes, that will add weight....probably won't notice it though). My TW will hold 60 mph all day easily;alot of folks are going to chime in and say "sure it will,but at what price to the engine". From what I've read,the ability of the TW engine is due to it's an "over square" design....no I'm not an engineer,but do some research and you will also find that the TW engine is designed to be ridden at and hold high rpm's without negative results to the engine. I'm sure the XT...whichever year you choose,is also a great machine!. Have fun!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
NJ-Brett
Brett

I had an older XT, fun bike, was good, never had problems.
The TW is different.
Its got those big fat tires, and a big heavy wide front tire makes a bike feel different in the dirt.
Its a whole nother beast, but very good at going through nasty stuff and easy to keep upright.

If you was to want the normal motorcycle feel and handling, the XT is fine, although there is nothing special about them, the old xt225 was better I think, at least in some ways, like the 6 speed and much less weight.

My tw200 got a smaller rear sprocket shortly after I got it, 2 teeth less I think, and it still did great in the dirt, yet seemed happy to spin at any speed up to about 70, and was quite spunky up to about 65 mph.
Stock everything but one size bigger main jet , an O ring chain and the smaller rear sprocket.

The only thing about the TW you need to do is change the oil often.
Screen, not a filter and only about a quart of oil in the motor.
There was also a problem with the wrong screen/filter being used that prevented oil from getting to the top end.
The correct filter (screen) has ports open to allow the oil through to the top end.
Since its a screen, no need to change it, just change the oil and clean the screen one a year.

Both the TW and the XT are fun good bikes and I would have a hard time picking between them.
For the sand and mud around here (really thick sand) the TW is easier to ride.

I would go with whatever I got a deal on used.
Who wants to pay list price for a new bike and ride it into a mud hole???
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
We have one of each

TW can be tweaked with a sprocket change and be livable on higher speeds speed odometer red line is because it was designed when max speed was 55mph it will do better than that with stock gears but loose a lot on the hills.

XT has a little more schwoop and has a little more room for bigger rider than the TW

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...woop%20schwoop

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
ping
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
I own a 2009 Yamaha xt250, has a carburetor, I put in non-ethynol gas in my bike. Because I do more street riding I put Avon distanzia tires on. I really enjoy riding my bike, it's light and so far has no major problems. Every 1000 miles I change my oil, I use 20W-50W oil.
If you do get an F.I., I recommend that you put and external fuel filter on your fuel line.
ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #12
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Does the 2013 XT250's FI offer a huge advantage cost/benefit & performance wise over the earlier models with a carburetor?
The biggest advantage of fuel injection, for your application, is that you will never have to clean a carburetor. While it isn't as horrible a job on a little single as it is on a 70's - 80's Japanese four, it's still a pain. Sooner or later your bike will sit long enough to varnish at least one jet and won't run right until you clean the carburetor, or in some cases, replace the clogged jet. (some of those openings are too tiny to really clean).

If you buy a bike with a carburetor, make sure you store it with Stabil or Seafoam in the gas. The problem is deciding when you'll be storing it. It's just too easy to expect to get in one more ride in the fall/winter and then realize one day that's it's March and the bike's been sitting for five months without any treatment in the gas. Sooner or later, it bites you.

The downside of fuel injection is the risk of having to replace an expensive fuel pump. While rare, it will cost you more than paying somebody to clean your carburetor.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
NJ-Brett
Brett

Original post was more than 2 months ago.
Sure hope he got a bike by now...
Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
I vote - buy the XT250

Well Pilgram, I suggest you go for the XT 250. I am a minimalist in many regards - and 200 cc just aint enough. The TW200 is also short. Thats great if youre short too -but its sucks if youre over 5'8". People who are taller than the average hobbit can comfortably ride the XT250.

Like many others on here - I have an 2009 XT250...I wish my wife performed as well as it did! If you do need to hit the highway - the XT250 can do it. Its light and easy to wrestle around when you dump it or when you are negotiating mud or sand. Also...its more desirable for resale. TW200 is an odd bike as a result the market for them is smaller. Like you, I ride backroads, some trails and abandoned rail lines. I also ride on golf courses and my neighbors lawns. The XT250 is the best bike for doing donuts on golf greens.

The main reason to go for an XT 250 is that its a chick magnet. When ever I stop at a light on mine, soccor moms, super models and hot mature women generally flash me, offer their phone numbers and beg me to take them for a ride. Its not me...its the XT250. Buy one. It will change your life.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Krugger View Post
Well Pilgram, I suggest you go for the XT 250. I am a minimalist in many regards - and 200 cc just aint enough. The TW200 is also short. Thats great if youre short too -but its sucks if youre over 5'8". People who are taller than the average hobbit can comfortably ride the XT250.

Like many others on here - I have an 2009 XT250...I wish my wife performed as well as it did! If you do need to hit the highway - the XT250 can do it. Its light and easy to wrestle around when you dump it or when you are negotiating mud or sand. Also...its more desirable for resale. TW200 is an odd bike as a result the market for them is smaller. Like you, I ride backroads, some trails and abandoned rail lines. I also ride on golf courses and my neighbors lawns. The XT250 is the best bike for doing donuts on golf greens.

The main reason to go for an XT 250 is that its a chick magnet. When ever I stop at a light on mine, soccor moms, super models and hot mature women generally flash me, offer their phone numbers and beg me to take them for a ride. Its not me...its the XT250. Buy one. It will change your life.

You must have not had a good experience on the TW you rode to come to this conclusion.I know of riders over six foot who ride TW's. Tw's can do non-dirt roads,it rolls along nicely between 55--60mph......I wouldn't do interstates due to it's light weight(compared to street dedicated bikes)....you'll probably get blown around by the wind."Light and easy to wrestle around when you dump it or when you are negotiating mud or sand".The TW weigh's less and for mud or sand....please.Golf courses and neighbors lawns....yea,I see you behind bars in the not so distant future..Xt250,chick magnet....how old are you?.Nothing wrong with the XT-250.............Pilgrim, go ride a TW and make your own call.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote