Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #61
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithn View Post
I purchased a new NTX and am averaging 40+ mpg in city driving. The computor indicates 6.4 litres per 100 litres of fuel.
I'm thinking if you are quoting mpg and ltr/100km of fuel you are looking at the larger imperial gallons

I'm getting around 38 miles per US gallons right now..but the engine is still tight at 2200miles
Old 07-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #62
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
Aw, nuts. If Munroe sucks, then I'm pretty much out of the Guzzi market.

So, I'm "stuck" with the offerings at Hattar [or whatever Hattar Motorsports becomes after the change in ownership]: Ducati & Triumph. Not so bad, that, but the Guzzis were growing on me.
I'm in the same boat.

I tell ya, if I win the lottery so money wasn't an issue, I'd open a Guzzi shop around here in a heartbeat. It wouldn't make $$$ (hence the need for the lottery winnings), but it sure would be fun and if done right would really help the brand. As-is I think there are a lot of us around here in this "limbo" with no good dealer close enough to handle the big problems.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #63
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaHog View Post
Aw, nuts. If Munroe sucks, then I'm pretty much out of the Guzzi market.

So, I'm "stuck" with the offerings at Hattar [or whatever Hattar Motorsports becomes after the change in ownership]: Ducati & Triumph. Not so bad, that, but the Guzzis were growing on me.
I don't know diddly about Munroe, and the horror stories could be completely widespread, well-known, and true, but fwiw, I've heard very bad reports about dealers in Colorado's Front Range, yet have had nothing but fantastic results/service from them. If Munroe is your only option for a Guzzi, why not check them out more thoroughly. Would be a shame not to get the bike you really want, when the dealer was really at least OK. There often are two sides to a story.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #64
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
I don't know diddly about Munroe, and the horror stories could be completely widespread, well-known, and true, but fwiw, I've heard very bad reports about dealers in Colorado's Front Range, yet have had nothing but fantastic results/service from them. If Munroe is your only option for a Guzzi, why not check them out more thoroughly. Would be a shame not to get the bike you really want, when the dealer was really at least OK. There often are two sides to a story.
An old pal of mine works at Munroe....the perceived thought/opinion of the dealership Is a bit surprising.
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 08:59 AM   #65
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
You make a very good point, but how do you check them out other than to take your precious in there and have them fiddle with it? Unfortunately I've heard consistent "bad things" about them, and I've yet to read a single positive comment from someone who had them work on their bike. They're not accredited with the BBB, which is always concerning, and they do have a complaint listed that was not resolved to the satisfaction of the person who filed it. At least it's not a long list of complaints, but still.

I guess it comes down to this: Do I want to risk a $15K+ purchase that I may not be able to get fixed if it breaks because there isn't a good dealer (for warranty work) within a day's drive of me? Well, that's the big question.

-SM
Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #66
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
An old pal of mine works at Munroe....the perceived thought/opinion of the dealership Is a bit surprising.

Munroe is a shop that had a good reputation the whole time I lived in northern Calfornia (grew up and lived there most of my life)
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #67
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
You make a very good point, but how do you check them out other than to take your precious in there and have them fiddle with it? Unfortunately I've heard consistent "bad things" about them, and I've yet to read a single positive comment from someone who had them work on their bike. They're not accredited with the BBB, which is always concerning, and they do have a complaint listed that was not resolved to the satisfaction of the person who filed it. At least it's not a long list of complaints, but still.

I guess it comes down to this: Do I want to risk a $15K+ purchase that I may not be able to get fixed if it breaks because there isn't a good dealer (for warranty work) within a day's drive of me? Well, that's the big question.

-SM
Walk in and start asking questions. The response and interest in you, or lack of, will give you a good start. Ask for a tour of the facilities but do so when they are not busy. Introduce yourself to the techs, managers, owner etc. They seldom get this and you might be surprised how well they respond and the memory or you showing an interest in their work will be remembered when you come in again by better service and closer attention to your concerns. In one shit hole I worked at we had a couple of customers that brought in breakfast, pizza and beer on Saturday at closing and in general were really nice. We didn't short change the assholes but who do you think got the silk glove treatment, the free storage, the discounts? And the best customer oriented places I have worked were not members of the BBB. As for an unsatisfied complaint, have you investigated the complaint to rule out the nut case possibility (read: ADV inmate ), or some "oil in the isle made me fall" loser? I've seen enough of these to suspect any one that is not polite and rational when bringing in a complaint. And I've heard consistently bad things about me but to quote Jessica in the Who Framed Roger Rabbit? flick, " I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way".
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #68
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
Walk in and start asking questions. The response and interest in you, or lack of, will give you a good start.
All fair points. Since they are 2 hrs away round trip, rather than "walk in" I called them and asked a few questions. From the second they answered the phone, all I got was attitude and it went downhill from there. Simple questions like "do you have a Guzzi certified tech?". Maybe the guy on the phone was having a bad day, who knows. I have bad days too, but it's no excuse to being a little sh*t to a customer asking a few basic questions. It all just added to an already uncertain deal.

Like I said though, until your baby is in their shop and you get that first hand experience, I think it's a crap shoot. Time will tell if I'm willing to risk it.

-SM
Old 07-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #69
NonDairyCreamer
incomprehensible

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
All fair points. Since they are 2 hrs away round trip, rather than "walk in" I called them and asked a few questions. From the second they answered the phone, all I got was attitude and it went downhill from there. Simple questions like "do you have a Guzzi certified tech?". Maybe the guy on the phone was having a bad day, who knows. I have bad days too, but it's no excuse to being a little sh*t to a customer asking a few basic questions. It all just added to an already uncertain deal.

Like I said though, until your baby is in their shop and you get that first hand experience, I think it's a crap shoot. Time will tell if I'm willing to risk it.

-SM
NOT a good start and I don't want to belabor this more but the same shithole I discussed had super mechanics but a fool for a manager, an illiterate and incompetent service manager and churlish asswipes that worked the counters and picked up the phones in parts and accessories. But we got a lot of service business from people who bought bikes at other dealers because they knew we had some great techs. Behind the attitude on the phone you talked to there is still someone desperate to make a living with huge expenses to carry. If you were to give it one more chance and got the same response a letter to the owner(s) would be appreciated, I'm sure of that. Even the owner of a shithole wants to succeed and if he or she does not know how bad things are when they turn their back their business can evaporate before they know what happened. You and others interested in keeping a good shop in that area might make the difference. I hope something works out for you, I've got eight hours to the nearest dealer to put some not so relevant perspective on the drive.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonDairyCreamer View Post
NOT a good start and I don't want to belabor this more but the same shithole I discussed had super mechanics but a fool for a manager, an illiterate and incompetent service manager and churlish asswipes that worked the counters and picked up the phones in parts and accessories. But we got a lot of service business from people who bought bikes at other dealers because they knew we had some great techs. Behind the attitude on the phone you talked to there is still someone desperate to make a living with huge expenses to carry. If you were to give it one more chance and got the same response a letter to the owner(s) would be appreciated, I'm sure of that. Even the owner of a shithole wants to succeed and if he or she does not know how bad things are when they turn their back their business can evaporate before they know what happened. You and others interested in keeping a good shop in that area might make the difference. I hope something works out for you, I've got eight hours to the nearest dealer to put some not so relevant perspective on the drive.
Again, very good points NDC, and point taken.

-SM
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #71
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 Stelvio NTX from European Motorsports at Riders Hill in Dahlonega GA. That is a great dealer, by the way.
First of all, congrats on the new bike, and thanks for the write up....

I've got a few pics of your bike too, and got to do the seat test on it while I was up there in June. Sure is a purdy thing, I hope you get many miles of enjoyment out of it as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #72
MikeFromMT
Past Tense

Oddometer: 3,524
Something to keep in mind about these dealers that are so far away, you may never have a need to see their shop. At least for a few years. if you have to go there once every 3-5 years is it really a big deal if the good shop is 3 hours away?
I have a Triumph and the closest shop is 25 miles away, pretty close, the only time I've gone in there was for a broken turn signal lens and an oil filter, both of which I could have purchased online.
If you have a dependable bike, and from what I hear Guzzi are dependable, it could be a long assed time before you need a dealer.

BTW, the closest Guzzi dealer to me is 3 hours away, if I could afford it I'd buy a Stelvio today.

Do I look like a man with a plan?
MikeFromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:05 AM   #73
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
These guys no good?

MUNROE MOTORS
412 Valencia St.
San Francisco, CA 94103
PHONE (415) 626-3496 FAX (415) 255-8389
I have not bought anything from Munroe but have heard some horror stories in several forums for this dealer. If you really want a good dealer drive the bit extra and stop by Elk Grove Power Sports, just outside Sacramento. I looked and seriously considered the Stelvio, they have several NTX in stock, but ended up buying the Tiger Explorer. My experiences with this dealership has been nothing short of stellar. The service manager, Brian, seems to know his bikes and is a great guy to work with. Two weeks after buying the Explorer I hit a deer, CHP had bike towed to a towyard and Brian sent his guy with a flatbed to get my bike to his shop, that is service!! He is getting the bike repaired with the insurance and going to hold my bike in their lockup until I can get on my feet in four months. This dealership has about twenty different Moto Guzzi in stock when I was there two weeks ago. They had a black and burnt orange NTX.

Fasttrak
Ken
Old 07-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #74
Luma46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I really enjoyed your review, you were expressing my own feelings. I had come off a 2006 12GS and while I never had any serious problem with it in 46k kms, I am glad that I opted for the 2012 NTX. My only complaint is that GS's engine and tranny were more refined, the Stelvio seems to be a bit noisy and clunky especially when hot. I am working on it with heavier oils in tranny, will see...
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #75
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
I have not bought anything from Munroe but have heard some horror stories in several forums for this dealer. If you really want a good dealer drive the bit extra and stop by Elk Grove Power Sports, just outside Sacramento. I looked and seriously considered the Stelvio, they have several NTX in stock, but ended up buying the Tiger Explorer. My experiences with this dealership has been nothing short of stellar. The service manager, Brian, seems to know his bikes and is a great guy to work with. Two weeks after buying the Explorer I hit a deer, CHP had bike towed to a towyard and Brian sent his guy with a flatbed to get my bike to his shop, that is service!! He is getting the bike repaired with the insurance and going to hold my bike in their lockup until I can get on my feet in four months. This dealership has about twenty different Moto Guzzi in stock when I was there two weeks ago. They had a black and burnt orange NTX.

Fasttrak
Ken
Thanks Ken. That's where I just went to check out the NTX. I had never been out to Elk Grove before, and was impressed with everything I saw. Staff, facilities, you name it. All very professional. Looked like a top notch outfit. They also have a Guzzi Master Tech there, so that's a plus. It's a little far to go at 4 hrs. round trip, but if I only need to see them for "issues", it's not that bad.

Thanks again. Heal up quick!

-SM