User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #181
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
700 or lowered 800?

ok, I'm thinking I need one of these as an upgrade from my '09 G650GS. My bike is great on the FM roads and occasional fire road but the lack of a 6th gear is a beat down on the highway. I consider myself an 85 road/15 dirt rider and not an aggressive off road rider but I do ride "spirited" on the back farm roads. My current bike fits me very well.

I've tried the Tiger 800 and the engine, shifting and brakes are amazing but I miss the low end torque of the BMW and the handling is so different...I prefer the Beemers. Tried a 1200GS, awesome but more than I need.

Being vertically challenged (30" inseam) I'm leaning toward the F700 with regular suspension and I like all of the upgrades in the new model and the matte gray color. I think it would be a big step up from where I'm at.

Or I could spend more and go with the 800GS in that bitching Kalamata color but I'd need a lowered suspension and I'd probably want a 19" front wheel. I'd love to have spoked tubeless wheels but not sure how much more that would be. I'll check them both out at length but wondering if the lowered 800GS would mean sacrificing a center stand along with the extra cash. I could always do the 800 lowered and mess with the wheels later. I'd change the tires on the 700 add a few extras and be done.

So does the 800 give me room to grow if I get into more offroad riding and longer touring? I must admit I like the styling and color of the 800 better but I'm more concerned with how well it fits me and which bike I'm a better rider on.

Opinions welcome.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #182
kylerichards
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Get both...
2005 Honda CRF 230 F
kylerichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 AM   #183
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
..................... There are known issues with the bikes and they are not addressing them. That is unacceptable. I have delt with Ducati and their lack of desire to fix anything, and I refuse to do it again..

Long answer to your short question, but if BMW made true fixes I would buy an 800gs tomorrow.

Joe
I've got an S10, K12GT('06), and I"m considering the F700GS. I haven't paid much attention to this bike until two weeks ago when I had a loaner F650GS for 2 days, now I'd like to know more. So I ask: What are the "known issues" that were not addressed??

Regards, Paul
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 AM   #184
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
ok, I'm thinking I need one of these as an upgrade from my '09 G650GS. My bike is great on the FM roads and occasional fire road but the lack of a 6th gear is a beat down on the highway. I consider myself an 85 road/15 dirt rider and not an aggressive off road rider but I do ride "spirited" on the back farm roads. My current bike fits me very well.

I've tried the Tiger 800 and the engine, shifting and brakes are amazing but I miss the low end torque of the BMW and the handling is so different...I prefer the Beemers. Tried a 1200GS, awesome but more than I need.

Being vertically challenged (30" inseam) I'm leaning toward the F700 with regular suspension and I like all of the upgrades in the new model and the matte gray color. I think it would be a big step up from where I'm at.
Keep in mind I have never ridden the G650GS or the 800 but from what you wrote it sounds like the 700 would be a better fit.

I think ??? lowering the 800 may take away from the bike's capabilities to some extent. And I'm not sure how the 800 would react to having a 19" wheel up front.

You would be giving up the spoke wheels which may or may not be important to you. I know it is to some. And if you want spoke wheels then I would say you already have a nice bike that you said fits you well. Making the 800 fit you might not be the best way to spend your money.

With that said, if I had known the 700 was coming out I may ??? have waited because I would love to have had the traction control, ESA, and all the turn signal controls on the left.

Jon...
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 AM   #185
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!

Oddometer: 2,278
Once loaded, this is getting very close to the cost of a Super Tenere, a MUCH superior bike.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #186
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Alvarez View Post
Once loaded, this is getting very close to the cost of a Super Tenere, a MUCH superior bike.
It really depends what you want. The Super Tenere is better value, and it's a better touring bike.

On the other hand the performance is actually similar and the Super Tenere does weigh an extra 50 kilograms over the 800GS.

There is no way I'd trade my "loaded" 800 on a Super Tenere. If I wanted a big adventure tourer the Triumph Explorer is much more powerfull and interesting, and the Multistrada is just insane and shows what is possible with a 1200 twin. If i was more interested in Offroad I'd keep the 800 or look at a KTM 990.

For people who want a big, heavy, comfortable adventure tourer its great value and pretty good off road (providing you have the right bash plate ), but like every other bike it's not for everyone. It's sort of the opposite of the KTM ... reliable, comfortable, not that exciting ... you get the picture .... only my opinion, and absolutely the right bike for a lot of people.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #187
TouratechUSA
Made For Adventure

Oddometer: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohere View Post
TouratechUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #188
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post

So does the 800 give me room to grow if I get into more offroad riding and longer touring? I must admit I like the styling and color of the 800 better but I'm more concerned with how well it fits me and which bike I'm a better rider on.

Opinions welcome.
Like other have said it depends on how and where you want to ride. You seem to have said 85/15. The advantage of the long travel suspension is ground clearance. Will you be hopping ruts. rock, logs? the other is in jumps and whoops. the long travel will better soak them up. Same with wire wheels...they are tougher because the flex and absorb bigge hits.
The other side of the coin is wire wheel flex, give less precise streering in twisties. The narrow front tire give less pavement traction. The high suspension means a higher roll center and slower direction change in twisties on pavement.
F800GS is a high test bike with air injection...it is less fuel efficient..not that that make a difference to most people.

I went with the F650GS because it is lower, handles pavement better, stops quicker and is totally adequate for my dirt road riding.

I would not recommend getting an F800Gs and then lowering it....just added cost to take away one if it's chief benefits.

I would say the F650GS (now F700GS 2013) is the better long distance tourer. Better road handling, better gas milage (longer gearing).

Note the horse power advantage of the F800 is only at over 5000 rpms....this is about 85 mph on my F650.

Take them both for a ride. Buy the one you like best.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM   #189
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
The advantage of the long travel suspension is ground clearance. Will you be hopping ruts. rock, logs? the other is in jumps and whoops. the long travel will better soak them up.
Jumps and whoops? Hopping logs? LOL Neither of these bikes are gonna be good at that.
Just try to pull up and ride through a set of whoops at speed on the 800. I dare you.

I think BMW narrowed the difference in these bikes.
Basically one is for shorter riders and on for taller riders.
I'll bet the suspension valving is pretty close on each bike.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #190
kylerichards
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wicked

Quote:
He'd need a step stool for the Tenere. That's not an option.

Get the 700.

Ohh, and quit eyeing up my T800.
2005 Honda CRF 230 F
kylerichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #191
Jooka
I grow everywhere

Oddometer: 28
Wonder if there will be a, not to costly way, to switch over to the new signal indicators for previous years. I'm getting better with the way they are but certainly took some time to accustom myself to them.(I've only had my 658 for a month now) If it wasn't a huge cost I would certainly entertain the idea.
Jooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #192
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
+1

Like you I'm getting used to the "BMW" signal switch location but I do not like it. Even Harley did a better job. Tap once to turn on, tap again to turn off. It's the added switch (on the right side) to cancel that's messing with me the most.

If it can be updated without costing to much I will do it. But I suspect there are wiring harness changes that will present an issue. So if I can't get used to it then I may wire up a switch on the left side that I can push to cancel.

Jon...
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM   #193
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 5,213
Quote:
Have you got a link to pricing info on the 700GS?

Much superior in what sense?

Light weight, gas mileage, acceleration and braking, seat height, ease of manoeverabily in tight spaces, insurance cost, needs of the rider?

Two different bikes for different rider's needs.

The S10 is superior for you, the 700GS superior for somebody else.

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #194
Jeuneyer
He don't say much.

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Have you got a link to pricing info on the 700GS?

Much superior in what sense?

Light weight, gas mileage, acceleration and braking, seat height, ease of manoeverabily in tight spaces, insurance cost, needs of the rider?

Two different bikes for different rider's needs.

The S10 is superior for you, the 700GS superior for somebody else.

I would also like to see a MSRP on the F700.

When do the new model year bikes start arriving at dealerships?

Since this will be my first new BMW purchase, if I want a specific color, can it be ordered and when should I do that?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I have never had the privilege to buy a new bike before. F700 looks perfect for what I want.
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #195
ARDirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I would think pricing would be up soon. Check with your dealer on delivery dates as the vary. Am also looking at the 700 and really like the grey and want all the options.
ARDirt is offline   Reply With Quote