Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #271
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound master View Post
ending the mystery... curiosity got the best of me and I magic-wanded that center stand away
I was staring at that pic and kept thinking well dammit it looks real slow with that anchor to the ground, be gone! all in good fun.

anyways, the rear luggage mounts are on there ...that I promise.
Promises are cheap. What is going on with the left side mirror? Are you a coon hunter?? Luggage mounts are not racks. The mounts installed are for the lame Vario cases. I still can't understand why you spent so much time PSing the center stand away. You have a 20 hour old bike and you are worried about a picture on a bullshit post looking cool. Let us see a picture of you and the new bike with today's newspaper from your town. Maybe a sales receipt with your name blanked out will convince me but I doubt it. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM   #272
hound master
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Promises are cheap. What is going on with the left side mirror? Are you a coon hunter?? Luggage mounts are not racks. The mounts installed are for the lame Vario cases. I still can't understand why you spent so much time PSing the center stand away. You have a 20 hour old bike and you are worried about a picture on a bullshit post looking cool. Let us see a picture of you and the new bike with today's newspaper from your town. Maybe a sales receipt with your name blanked out will convince me but I doubt it. GH

all really good points.
thank god this one turned out:

hound master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #273
GS-rant
New Adventures

Oddometer: 6
The first 1000km

So my partner and I both ordered a F650GS to spec but she ordered hers after mine. What happened was I got my F650GS but BMW cancelled the July production and started making the F700GS. So short cut to the end of this story was I got the F650GS she got the new F700GS.

So we did get her bike just in time to head out to the Horizons Unlimited meeting in BC last Wednesday and give the bike a good run. There are a few positive changes to the F700GS; the gearing, placement of some key components, the dual disk breaks on the front and the controls. There is also a negative change to the wind shield which is to small and there is not an after market available yet. However, when we put my F650GS and her F700GS side by side the only real difference is the number 650 vs 700.....Oh Ya, and she gets all the attention

Old 08-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #274
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS-rant View Post
There is also a negative change to the wind shield which is to small and there is not an after market available yet.
I did a 2 hours test ride on the F700GS yesterday, and i check if the current wind shield i have (on my F800GS and which formerly was on my F650GS) could be installed on the F700GS.
The answer is YES, just need to remove the 2 new side black plastic parts that have been added and purchase the 2 missing bracket (#6 on below picture) + screws from former 650GS or 800GS model, then remove the OEM screen and after market shield shold fit!

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #275
Parigi
Hoinar

Oddometer: 279
I saw the first 2013 F800GS and to my surprise, there was a WP sticker on the front forks.
Parigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #276
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parigi View Post
I saw the first 2013 F800GS and to my surprise, there was a WP sticker on the front forks.
A sticker does not a WP fork make.

They are still the same low budget Marzocchi 45mm units on the 2013 models.

If you want proper WPs on there you will have to put them on yourself!

LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM   #277
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
OK ... my local dealer has two new F700GS & a new F800GS on the floor.
The F800GS had the "luxury pkg" which I assume is also available on the F700GS and consisted of:
  • The Vario pannier mounts <--- so that solves the question of the luggage/saddlebag mounts
  • Center stand (and this year's center stand is "straight-legged" not curved tubing)
  • Heated grips (available @ $250 by themselves)
  • OBC
Package lists @ $505 which actually seemed good for what you're getting
(Maybe BMW does feel a LITTLE guilty about the Euro / USD exchange rate shift?)

Looks like ABS is standard

The Safety package consisting of ESA II and Enduro ASC is $595

As someone mentioned in some thread (maybe this one...) it would appear that the windscreens from the old F650GS/F800G will work on the new F700GS with the removal of a few plastic bits, and the addition of the two "angle brackets" that hold the back corners of the current shield.

The Charcoal canister appears to be tucked in front of the gas tank it NOT up under the seat at the front of the tank.

The "hand wheel" for the rear suspension pre-load now looks more like the round-style handle on an outdoor water faucet, I liked it better.

Bobble-head ft. brake reservoir is gone.
It looks to me like the new reservoir would bolt up to our old master cylinder, a comparison of the P/N for the front master cylinder for the old bikes vs. current year would likely tell us if any internal design modifications were made to the master cylinder to allow the removal of Mr. Bobble-head or if they finally just decided Mr. Bobble-head could take his leave of us............

My F658GS has ~28K miles on it, is due for the 24K mile service, is almost 4 yrs old, and "almost" needs a new front tire, and is in excellent condition (GS911 told me that the valves were good till 29K so I hadn't had the service done).

I was offered $6K trade-in for mine withOUT the farkles, or $6800 with if I had 24K service & new front tire done. That price didn't make me jump for joy ... but to be fair id didn't make me want to cry either....

Might trade, or might buy the new ft. master cylinder resivoir, new hand-wheel, and an ElectroSport stator and call it done not sure
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #278
petzi-baer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
OK ... my local dealer has two new F700GS & a new F800GS on the floor.
The F800GS had the "luxury pkg" which I assume is also available on the F700GS and consisted of:
  • The Vario pannier mounts <--- so that solves the question of the luggage/saddlebag mounts
  • Center stand (and this year's center stand is "straight-legged" not curved tubing)
  • Heated grips (available @ $250 by themselves)
  • OBC
Package lists @ $505 which actually seemed good for what you're getting
(Maybe BMW does feel a LITTLE guilty about the Euro / USD exchange rate shift?)

Looks like ABS is standard

The Safety package consisting of ESA II and Enduro ASC is $595

As someone mentioned in some thread (maybe this one...) it would appear that the windscreens from the old F650GS/F800G will work on the new F700GS with the removal of a few plastic bits, and the addition of the two "angle brackets" that hold the back corners of the current shield.

The Charcoal canister appears to be tucked in front of the gas tank it NOT up under the seat at the front of the tank.

The "hand wheel" for the rear suspension pre-load now looks more like the round-style handle on an outdoor water faucet, I liked it better.

Bobble-head ft. brake reservoir is gone.
It looks to me like the new reservoir would bolt up to our old master cylinder, a comparison of the P/N for the front master cylinder for the old bikes vs. current year would likely tell us if any internal design modifications were made to the master cylinder to allow the removal of Mr. Bobble-head or if they finally just decided Mr. Bobble-head could take his leave of us............

My F658GS has ~28K miles on it, is due for the 24K mile service, is almost 4 yrs old, and "almost" needs a new front tire, and is in excellent condition (GS911 told me that the valves were good till 29K so I hadn't had the service done).

I was offered $6K trade-in for mine withOUT the farkles, or $6800 with if I had 24K service & new front tire done. That price didn't make me jump for joy ... but to be fair id didn't make me want to cry either....

Might trade, or might buy the new ft. master cylinder resivoir, new hand-wheel, and an ElectroSport stator and call it done not sure
Were you able to test ride it?

I doubt there is a big difference, but I was how or if the throttle response changed or if the newer rear suspension makes any difference.

thanks

petzi-baer
petzi-baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #279
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by petzi-baer View Post
Were you able to test ride it?

I doubt there is a big difference, but I was how or if the throttle response changed or if the newer rear suspension makes any difference.

thanks

petzi-baer
No ... I was not, I was a bit pressed for time and the bike was tied up in the middle of the showroom.
4 more HP, and like you say ... maybe different throttle response oh and slightly more aggressive gearing 42/17
I wonder if the suspension is actually different or if it's the same suspension (mechanically speaking),
with a control circuit dropped on top... ???
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #280
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 677
A question for the 650 owners, does it look like the engine guards for the 650 will work for the 700?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 AM   #281
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 519
I would think the engine guards that mount to the frame and engine would fit just fine....there seems to be no differences to either..... have said that, I still would make sure I could return them if there was some problem.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM   #282
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,453
I saw a 2013 F800GS for the first time last week. It is rather nice, actually.

In blue and with those colored triangles on the side, it looks like a dirt bike on steroids. I consider this a positive change.

More detail on the side panels. The blue is a solid blue. Rather nice.

The grab handle and the case attachment.

The revised beak.

Detail:

Slight changes in the instrument cluster: can you spot the difference? Here is the 2013:

And the 2012:

And the controls, turn signals together on the left side. Who says BMW doesn't listen?

Talking about BMW not listening, I'm curious to know what they've done with the rear spring attachment to the frame. Or not have done.

Enjoy.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #283
Karbono
Rookie GSer

Oddometer: 337
...so... no scottoiler in the regular position...

...and is that a new spring?

Plus, what happened to the cooler on the side? I'm guessing it's just "rotated".

Karbono is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #284
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

Looks like the tank area might be a bit narrower allowing you to get a bit further forward while standing up.

Anybody else notice that?

Also, it does not look like the beak is removable, it looks to be one piece with the upper side fairing. So much for de-beaking... (although I like the beaks!)

Ryan
Old 09-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #285
Philthy1
Philthy

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
It looks like if I want an F900GS I will have to build my own ... oh well, that could be fun !
Ducksbane, can I put in an order for one too?