Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #331
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Do I have this right? Triumph gave you two Tigers to tour Alaska, and you now ride BMW's?
sort of right...we owned 2010 BMW F650GS, Triumph Canada loaned us 2 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC for 44 days to go to Alaska, we came back, we gave them back....went back on our 650's, now sold the 650's for two 2013 BMW F800GS bikes.....
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:49 AM   #332
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
sort of right...we owned 2010 BMW F650GS, Triumph Canada loaned us 2 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC for 44 days to go to Alaska, we came back, we gave them back....went back on our 650's, now sold the 650's for two 2013 BMW F800GS bikes.....
Take that Triumph! Don't you want to post this in the "Beast" forum?

What went wrong? (If I may ask)

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:21 AM   #333
soph9
Bike Addict

went wrong? Nothing...the deal was we were to borrow the Triumph's, could not make a good enough deal last year to keep them...so gave them back. After a year off the Tigers....we are now ready for new bikes. We have Jesse luggage we love and it is going on the new Beemers. Saves us $4000. We are used to the BMW's, and the for the cost you get more we think. The Tiger is way more street comfy don't get me started on the BMW plank seat but in the end, we like the 3 year warranty and have some accessories that can be used on the F800GS.

The Tiger is a great bike but we just did not feel it when it came to laying down the money we need when buying 2 bikes. That's it...personal preference at this point in our lives.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #334
gs_lad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpx16Y4agXc

new f800gs commercial video
gs_lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #335
soph9
Bike Addict

nice!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #336
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
went wrong? Nothing...the deal was we were to borrow the Triumph's, could not make a good enough deal last year to keep them...so gave them back. After a year off the Tigers....we are now ready for new bikes. We have Jesse luggage we love and it is going on the new Beemers. Saves us $4000. We are used to the BMW's, and the for the cost you get more we think. The Tiger is way more street comfy don't get me started on the BMW plank seat but in the end, we like the 3 year warranty and have some accessories that can be used on the F800GS.

The Tiger is a great bike but we just did not feel it when it came to laying down the money we need when buying 2 bikes. That's it...personal preference at this point in our lives.
Triumph "loaned" you two Tigers and you couldn't make a deal good enough to keep them? How "good" does a "deal" have to be? Why would Triumph lend you two Tigers? Are you authors? I read your RR, but are you making a film? Funny how you both do the same thing when it comes to ditching the Triumphs? Just find it bizarre. If ANY manufacturer was to "loan" me one of their bikes for a "free" journey to Alaska, I'd bloody well thank them by buying their product, and standing behind it. Your creditability suffers. Badly.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #337
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Triumph "loaned" you two Tigers and you couldn't make a deal good enough to keep them? How "good" does a "deal" have to be? Why would Triumph lend you two Tigers? Are you authors? I read your RR, but are you making a film? Funny how you both do the same thing when it comes to ditching the Triumphs? Just find it bizarre. If ANY manufacturer was to "loan" me one of their bikes for a "free" journey to Alaska, I'd bloody well thank them by buying their product, and standing behind it. Your creditability suffers. Badly.
Lyle
Interesting you see it that way....strong comments. We are just 2 grrls who wanted to see if we could get a company like Triumph to loan us the bikes. We did, we thanked them...and went back to our lives. We have every right to spend our money as we see fit. Nothing was free except we rode their bikes, they wanted them back and they sold them. No big deal...no obligations one way or the other...again I appreciate opinions but you are really out of line....

Creditability? Because we ride a specific bike we have to own it? We loved that bike but we also have reasons to continue to be BMW owners. What if another company loans us bikes...should we make sure we buy them too?

soph9 screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 08:22 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #338
eanth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Interesting you see it that way....strong comments. We are just 2 grrls who wanted to see if we could get a company like Triumph to loan us the bikes. We did, we thanked them...and went back to our lives. We have every right to spend our money as we see fit. Nothing was free except we rode their bikes, they wanted them back and they sold them. No big deal...no obligations one way or the other...again I appreciate opinions but you are really out of line....

Creditability? Because we ride a specific bike we have to own it? We loved that bike but we also have reasons to continue to be BMW owners. What if another company loans us bikes...should we make sure we buy them too?
well stated. let's let it rest. i'm w/ the '2 girls.'
eanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:01 PM   #339
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanth View Post
well stated. let's let it rest. i'm w/ the '2 girls.'
thanks! Back to pictures!
Old 09-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #340
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 627
Big fan of the adv girls myself.
I don't see how getting a company to loan you bikes is anything but awesome. Good on 'em.

I'm curious, has the height difference from the 650s to the 800s been an issue?
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 AM   #341
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
Big fan of the adv girls myself.
I don't see how getting a company to loan you bikes is anything but awesome. Good on 'em.

I'm curious, has the height difference from the 650s to the 800s been an issue?
quite a difference in the height to be honest. To compare the F800 to the F650 we both have to use a low seat. Cheryl fits the bike well but what we are going to do is take our Renazco seats and get them modified. Both of us need our Renazco seats lowered and the nose of the seats to be narrower to be a great fit. Compared to the Tiger 800XC...one thing Triumph did well was have two seat height adjustments, plus a low seat option without getting into lowering the suspension.

I am never flat footed on either of the 3 bikes but I am also used to that feeling. We got the bikes with the low stock seat and look forward to the mod of our Renazco's.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #342
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
quite a difference in the height to be honest. To compare the F800 to the F650 we both have to use a low seat. Cheryl fits the bike well but what we are going to do is take our Renazco seats and get them modified. Both of us need our Renazco seats lowered and the nose of the seats to be narrower to be a great fit. Compared to the Tiger 800XC...one thing Triumph did well was have two seat height adjustments, plus a low seat option without getting into lowering the suspension.

I am never flat footed on either of the 3 bikes but I am also used to that feeling. We got the bikes with the low stock seat and look forward to the mod of our Renazco's.
Just curious as to why not get the low suspension option? It only lowers it an inch so you still gain suspension travel over the F650/700GS plus their is still the benefit of the 21" front wheel. I know the Hyperpro 1" (25mm)lowering kit has had good results here by other members as long as you are under 90kg so my guess is the BMW setup is also and you can still use the stock kickstand and center stand.
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #343
soph9
Bike Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angryrican View Post
Just curious as to why not get the low suspension option? It only lowers it an inch so you still gain suspension travel over the F650/700GS plus their is still the benefit of the 21" front wheel. I know the Hyperpro 1" (25mm)lowering kit has had good results here by other members as long as you are under 90kg so my guess is the BMW setup is also and you can still use the stock kickstand and center stand.
no you lose the centre stand unless you modify one yourself...I have had the chance to ride Cheryl's bike, she all ready has hers and it feels pretty good at the stock height...but like I said once we mod our seats it will be even better.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #344
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
no you lose the centre stand unless you modify one yourself...I have had the chance to ride Cheryl's bike, she all ready has hers and it feels pretty good at the stock height...but like I said once we mod our seats it will be even better.
Got it, I transitioned from the F650GS Twin to the F800GS and had similar issues as you but left the suspension alone, once the spring settled and the sag was set correct I don't even notice it. My initial concern was walking it backwards on the seat but now it's not a problem. You will really enjoy this bike once you get to know it

I did run a low Touratech seat(most comfortable I've used) for a few months but now am back on the stock seat with out issue
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #345
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Triumph "loaned" you two Tigers ...blah blah...yarda yarda...Your creditability suffers. Badly.
Lyle
How? Exactly how?

Their choice, and from what I read on their blog, the reasons for it back up everything I've read in "reputable" test reports on the Triumph.

The XC is a better "road" bike than the F800, but the F800 usually gets the nod for "off road" over the XC. By off road I mean dirt roads, fire trails/jeep trails type "off road". The relative comfort of each seems to be more subjective and personal preference.

The Triumph has a one piece frame. Bend a peg mount and it's a write off, and I've seen one and read about others doing this in very low speed falls on soft surfaces. Almost like every Adventure bike does at least once...if not once a day in the fun stuff.

The one thing I'll say about the F800 is that it seems to crash fairly well. Not that I'm admitting anything. I've never crashed on road in 30 something years. But I know some firetrail hill climbs that a good rider on an F800 will probably only have a 50/50 chance of getting to the top of.

So I am familiar with it's crash worthiness in an off road environment. The low seat made things much easier. Wider foot pegs helped. Practising technique for picking one up when stranded on a steep rocky hill helps.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote